PDA

View Full Version : AGAIN Campsites between Peters Mountain Shelter and Rausch Gap Shelter (PA)

Painted Turtle
02-18-2007, 14:54
I read the one other post on this and was wondering if there is any place to camp (legally) up near the Horseshoe trail?

MarcnNJ
02-18-2007, 15:09
There are nice campsites at the spring on the south side (half mile or so) of PA325. You may also find legal camping somewhere down at Clarks Creek. I stealth camped along the creek last year, it probably wasnt legal. You could also camp at Yellow Springs Village.

Painted Turtle
02-18-2007, 15:25
Thanks. I guess you didn't notice anything up on the top near Horseshoe trail? I am looking at that location because it is about half way between the two shelters.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2007, 15:27
Thanks. I guess you didn't notice anything up on the top near Horseshoe trail? I am looking at that location because it is about half way between the two shelters.

There's always a place to throw down a tent.It doesn't have be an official campsite.

Painted Turtle
02-18-2007, 15:31
Ah yes that I know :-) but don't want to get a fine by some eagle eyed ranger if it can be avoided. If I have to then will turn on stealth mode

MarcnNJ
02-18-2007, 15:41
You wouldnt be fined...if you wanted to camp up closer to the horseshoe trail, Id push a half mile further and camp just before Rattling Run so you have a water source.

Painted Turtle
02-18-2007, 15:52
You wouldnt be fined...if you wanted to camp up closer to the horseshoe trail, Id push a half mile further and camp just before Rattling Run so you have a water source.

AHHHHHHHHHHhh Now thats what I need to hear. I can do the .5 miles even if I half to crawl :-). Would like to finish PA this summer then I will be done from the big "K" in ME to Harpers Ferry.

Panzer1
02-18-2007, 16:58
There is a camp site right where the Horse Shoe trail intersects with the AT. I don't remember if it is legal.

Keep in mind that there will be a lot of horse crap in this area due to the horses on the horse shoe trail. Last time I went thru there there was a horse trailer on rt 325 and a couple of guys were taking horses out for a ride. They were parking in a parking lot on rt 325 and riding the short distance up the AT to the Horse Shoe trail. I made a note of all the horse crap in my journal. I would bring water with me from somewhere else clean. Also, some of the water in this area has rust in it, I think from iron.

Panzer

dperry
02-19-2007, 00:04
According to this:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html

when you are in Pennsylvania Game Lands, you can camp anywhere along the AT you want as long as:

a.) you stay within 200 feet of the trail.
b.) you stay more than 500 feet from any spring, stream, or public access area.
c.) you don't camp more than one night at any one spot.
d.) you are not doing a loop hike.

emerald
02-19-2007, 08:41
Thank you for your post. Yours is the kind of post I'd like to see more often here, instead of the "camp anywhere you damned well please posts," which are irresponsible and do not help the clubs or management agencies to accomplish their objectives, nor do they reflect well upon WhiteBlaze.net.

Pennsylvania State Game Lands are basically day-use areas with the exception allowed for camping along the A.T. and then for thru-hikers only as PSGC defines the term.

LIhikers
02-21-2007, 08:52
A couple of years back my wife and I went through this area southbound. As we hiked up away from route 325 three maintainers were coming down. They told us the spring had water (it was mid August) and suggested camping near the spring as it was a nice area. They were right on both counts and we assumed it was OK to camp there since maintainers were suggesting it. I remember it being on the north side of 325 and being an easy 11 miles south of Rausch Gap Shelter.