PDA

View Full Version : Packing

reh1966
02-18-2007, 16:59
When packing, do you use the stuff sacks for your sleeping bag and shelter (tarp, tent or whatever) or do you just cram it in the bottem of your pack? I have always used my stuff sacks but I was thinking that I may be better off to just use the cram method. At least that way these bulky items may pack better and leave a little extra space.

What is the preferred method amongst the experts?

Rex

bigcranky
02-18-2007, 17:32
Rex,

You might think about what will happen when your tent is soaking wet and you cram it in the bottom of your pack along with your sleeping bag. At the very least, you can cram your sleeping bag inside a trash compactor bag, and cram the tent on top.

Me, I use stuff sacks. But I like to be obsessively organized.

trlhiker
02-18-2007, 17:34
I use stuff sacks, I like to be organized.

mweinstone
02-18-2007, 17:47
cram it baby. extra inches = extra food. less stuffs means more food. cramming means faster packing.easyer to get stuff. less items to keep track of.

Michele
02-18-2007, 19:43
I use stuff sacks too. Another organizer here. Trust me, the last thing you'll want to have to do out there in the middle of a cold night is dump out your entire pack to find one thing. I have different colored stuff sacks and I know in my head what is where. Makes life easier.

buckowens
02-18-2007, 19:48
Stuff sacks... A little OCD :D

Michele
02-18-2007, 19:51
Stuff sacks... A little OCD :D

LOL!!! Hmmm...never knew a thread could bring so many of us together!!:D

sleepwalker
02-18-2007, 20:01
another aspect of organization, at least for me, is weight distribution. My pack rides a lot better if I can keep things flat and close to my back. So I make sure the weight is evenly distributed so it's not pulling in any one direction. So, stuff sacks, compressed and in it's place.

Jerm
02-18-2007, 20:13
i do use a stuff sack for my tarp, which is then stowed in the side pocket on my ula p-1. however, i do not use a stuff sack for my sleeping bag. it is stuffed into the bottom of whatever i am using as a pack liner. that way it fills out the bottom of my pack better and also when i am not carrying a lot of gear/food or as the food goes down, the bag packs better b/c the sleeping bag can loft up to take up space in the pack. i do use a stuff sack for my clothes b/s it doubles as my pillow. it is soft a fleecey on the inside and silnylon on the outside. but if i was to carry a puffy/lofty coat i would just stuff it with the sleeping bag.

smokymtnsteve
02-18-2007, 20:16
I use a sil nylon tarp for my shelter....

and I use a closed cell ridgerest for my sleeping pad...

I put the tarp inside the rolled up ridgecrest pad which is then straped to the outside (top) of my pack.

this saves room in my pack (allowing me to use a smaller lighter pack)

and allows me to use my pad at rest stops during the day,,,,if it is raining when I get to camp then before I even open my pack I am able to get right to my tarp throw it over me and my pack ,set the trap up while staying underneath,

then when I finally get the tarp set up I can open my pack without getting the inside wet,

reverse is true when breaking camp in the AM, I can stay under my tarp while packing my pack and then at the last minute roll it up into my ridgecrest and strap to top of pack.

Jerm
02-18-2007, 20:25
I put the tarp inside the rolled up ridgecrest pad which is then straped to the outside (top) of my pack.

this saves room in my pack (allowing me to use a smaller lighter pack)

if using a smaller lighter pack, what are you using as a frame sheet since the pad is straped to the top of you pack or does the pack have a frame sheet.

also, in spirit of this thread. how do you pack your sleeping bag?

smokymtnsteve
02-18-2007, 20:30
frame sheet??

I use a kelty red wing....I got a couple bungee cords on the top,,,that's what i use.

now as to the sleeping bag ...

I use a plastic bag lined stuff sack ....

Lone Wolf
02-18-2007, 21:05
What is the preferred method amongst the experts?

There are no AT or backpacking "experts". Do whatever works for you.

Lyle
02-18-2007, 21:27
I vote with Jerm, I cram the sleepingbag (gently, of course) into a garbage bag at the bottom of the pack along with vital clothing then loosly close the bag. This this allows the sleeping bag to compress only the amount necessary for whatever load you happen to be carrying, and not be over compressed. Over compressing can shorten your sleeping bag's life. Also, it fills all the nooks and crannies of the pack, thus helping with the support.

The tarp goes into a stuffsack and if it's wet in an outside mesh pocket of my ULA p-2.