PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pads on the AT

tomman
02-18-2007, 21:45
I am still trying to get my pack weight down. I have a thermo-rest inflatable 3/4 length pad. It is a bit heavy 1lb 14oz with the repair kit.

I was thinking about switching to a egg crate type form pad. It weight 1 pound less.

I was wondering if any of the older hikers have used these on the trail and how they worked out? I was thinking that even if they did not give enough softness in the beginning I would get used to it in time. That 1 pound less sure sounds good.

Next question. which is best the folded type or the ones that roll up. I was planning to carry it on the outside of my backpack.

Any help in this area would be much appreciated.

Tom

Sly
02-18-2007, 21:55
I've found the Z-rest pads are fine if you tent, but flatten out fairly quick and aren't as comfortable if you sleep more in shelters.

TurkeyBacon
02-18-2007, 22:00
why not switch to a lighter weight inflatable? According to REI, the prolight 4 3/4 length is 1 lb 1 oz at 1.5 inch thick. Foam is doable. The ground is softer than a shelter floor so it can depend on your sleeping location preference. If you want to try the foam, try sleeping on carpeting for a few nights. The folding kind are softer but are noticably less durable.
TB

mweinstone
02-18-2007, 22:47
dont be silly. inflatable pads freak me out. if they had a lightweight car would you pack that? i like my zrest all old and soft thank you. the harder the ground, the tougher the marine. sleep on recruit.

stuco
02-18-2007, 23:00
Thermarest zrest(zlite) or ridge rest

I use a z-lite 3/4 size 11.5 oz

tomman
02-18-2007, 23:49
Turkey Bacon,
I have the prolite 4 3/4 length and that is the one that weights 1lb 14oz on my digital scales that are used for postage rates. They should be fairly accurate. That is th weight of the pad, stuff sack and the repair kit, but you need them all.

Thanks everyone for the answers so far.

Tom

Footslogger
02-18-2007, 23:56
I am still trying to get my pack weight down. I have a thermo-rest inflatable 3/4 length pad. It is a bit heavy 1lb 14oz with the repair kit.

I was thinking about switching to a egg crate type form pad. It weight 1 pound less.

I was wondering if any of the older hikers have used these on the trail and how they worked out? I was thinking that even if they did not give enough softness in the beginning I would get used to it in time. That 1 pound less sure sounds good.

Next question. which is best the folded type or the ones that roll up. I was planning to carry it on the outside of my backpack.

Tom

=================================

I currently use the 3/4 ultralight thermarest. Tried the Z-rest and found that my hips weren't as happy. You can get a 3/4 inflatable that weighs less than 16 oz. Pretty sure mine weighs around 13oz.

Never had carried the Ridgerest (the roll-up pad) but from what I've seen the Z-Rest folds up smaller, especially if you carry the 3/4 length one.

'Slogger

Schulo
02-19-2007, 00:46
I use a millitary issue sleeping mat. In the service we also called it a pt mat. It rolles up, is water proof, no repair kit needed, and weighs less then a pound, and are really comfortable. They can be eaisly found at any surplus store for a couple of bucks.

SteveJ
02-19-2007, 01:00
I usually hammock, and just carry 3/8" ccf pads. But, if I'm on the ground, I go with my full-length pacific outdoors insulmat.... 2.5" of padding - and a good night's sleep! The full-length is only 22 ozs, the 3/4, 16 ozs. REI has them on sale right now...

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/48128301.htm
http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/48128307.htm

I haven't had mine much under 30 degrees, so not sure how much below that it'll go, but it did fine at 30...worth checking out!

I haven't thru-hiked, but if I'm on the ground, even on a regular t'rest, for more than 2 or 3 nights, I start to get sore hips and shoulders....hasn't happened w/ the insulmat... If you sleep well on the ground on a t'rest, I'd suggest either the 3/4 insulmat or the 3/4 ridgerest (which my 11 yr old son uses...)..

Jim Adams
02-19-2007, 01:43
You don't need the carrying bag or the repair kit. You can put the repairkit in your bounce box if you want. Then again, the repair kit isn't that heavy or big.
The Ridge Rest is more comfortable than the Z-Rest and will cushion longer.

geek

bigcranky
02-19-2007, 08:12
As I have continually reduced the weight of my pack and gear, the one thing that I refuse to give up is my full-length Thermarest Prolite 4. I need a good night's sleep, and a closed cell foam pad doesn't give it to me.

My Prolite 4 weighs 24 ounces. I don't use a stuff sack -- it's just folded in sixths and placed inside my pack. My 'repair kit' consists of one single tube of the Thermarest hot-glue adhesive, which maybe weighs 1/2 ounce.

If your 3/4 length pad is 17 ounces by itself, that means that your stuff sack and repair kit weigh 13 ounces combined. That seems awfully heavy. A sil-nylon stuff sack in the proper size shouldn't weigh more than 1.5 ounces, and you should be able to carry only part of the repair kit. I've been using Thermarests for 15 years and never had a leak or puncture.

GlazeDog
02-19-2007, 09:04
Check out Insul-Mat Max COmpacfort 3/4 (from Pacific Outdoor Equip). 2.5" thick 20"x48" size at 13oz. (add 2 oz for repair kit & stuff sack). Still very light. Very comfortable on shelter floors or rocks. See link:

http://www.pacoutdoor.com/2006/index.cfm?action=product&productID=5&groupID=1&familyID=1

GlazeDog

saimyoji
02-19-2007, 09:35
I use the Insulmat X-lite Thermo...18oz for the whole kit and kaboodle. 2.0" and very warm. Packs small, no rolling, can be folded and molded to fit just about anywhere in your pack set-up.

the_iceman
02-19-2007, 10:02
Check out Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. NOT self-inflating but 2.5 inches of cushion for less weight that a self inflator. Your cheeks may look like Louis Armstrong but the end of a thru thoiugh. :D

TurkeyBacon
02-19-2007, 10:18
I have the prolite 4 3/4 length and that is the one that weights 1lb 14oz on my digital scales that are used for postage rates.

I guess thats what they call individual products weights may vary. I'd keep it and reduce weight elsewhere, or because they are cheap, buy a z rest and find out yourself.
TB

saimyoji
02-19-2007, 10:18
Check out Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. NOT self-inflating but 2.5 inches of cushion for less weight that a self inflator. Your cheeks may look like Louis Armstrong but the end of a thru thoiugh. :D

Dizzy Gillespie

fonsie
02-19-2007, 10:41
Well I use the 3/4 Pro light 4 wich weighs about 14ounces.

Frosty
02-19-2007, 11:48
Check out Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. NOT self-inflating but 2.5 inches of cushion for less weight that a self inflator. Your cheeks may look like Louis Armstrong but the end of a thru thoiugh. :D21 puffs to fill it. It seems underfilled but when you lay on it, it's perfect.

For me, pad thickness increased with age, from a 1" 3/4 length thermorest to a 2.5" long and wide thermorest. 4 pounds worth.

I switched to the Big Agnes. Now a have a cushier 2.5" that weighs 25 ounces (I have the insulated version).

Arthritis in my left hip almost kept me from backpacking a couple years ago. The thick pad makes it possible. I can do with a bad night's sleep or two, but after a few consecutive days of poor sleep, I'm not having any fun and not much fun to be around.

There are lots of ways to reduce weight, but pad isn't one of them for me. My big four is a managable 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 pounds (30* or 15* WM sleeping bag), even with the 25 ounce pad.

anneandbenhike
02-19-2007, 12:18
Frosty, I agree....the sleeping pad is one thing I need under my hips, and like many of you, my husband and I each use the prolite 4, 3/4 length. I could not sleep in a shelter (we usually tarp tent) without it.

It definitely does not weigh as much as some say...on my Postal Scale, the whole thing...stuff sack and patch kit, is 16.3 oz. I do put as much air as I can blow into it so I have the maximum loft and comfort.

doodah man
02-19-2007, 12:46

Tom

Tom,
I have a bit of a unique situation as I have a Big Agnes Horsethief sleeping bag with a bottom pad sleeve. What I use is a trimmed 3/8" thick generic blue closed cell foam pad to fit the sleeve (6 ounces). Then I double up with a Gossamer Gear Torso Nightlite waffle style pad (3.5 ounces) for hips and shoulders under the bag. This combo is bulkier than the inflatables, but no puncture repairs to worry about. Also, these pads don't go limp as fast as the Z-rest does. To me, this is just as comfortable as any self-inflater, but not nearly as nice as something like the Big Agnes Aircore. I am 51 and have been finding that the ground is much harder than 30 years ago and the double pads allow a good nights sleep. doodah-man

rafe
02-19-2007, 14:22

Doesn't work for me, but YMMV. They're OK for insulation, but (for me) there's no significant cushioning.

STOKER
02-19-2007, 15:23
Z-rests r great, and they work out well as a seat during breaks if u dont unfold em. Also they save a lil weight

markellag
02-20-2007, 14:38
I use a Big Agnes thick, blow-up pad, around 2.5" that weighs 25 ounces, insulated. I also use a sleeping quilt which requires a thick pad. I tried a Z-pad and it was merisable. The blow-up Big Agnes pad gave me problems and Big Agnes rapidly sent a better version.

Chef2000
02-20-2007, 18:29
I have a Therma rest from older days before the current lines came out, in 99 mine was called 3/4LE which meant LuxuryEdition or thicker than the regular size, it weighs 1lb 8oz without sack and reapir kit. I have repaired it three times in the field with ni problems.