PDA

View Full Version : Hunterproofing My Hat

dperry
02-19-2007, 00:18
When my fiancee and I are hiking during hunting season, we'll get some of those light orange vests to put on ourselves (and maybe orange pack covers, too.) The question is, what do I do about my hat? It's a brown that blends in with the scenery, but I like it and don't want to wear one of those baseball caps. Can you get orange cloth and tie a strip around the hat?

prozac
02-19-2007, 00:37
All you really need is an orange hat. Its the tallest and most visible part of you. I know you like your hat but it isn't worth getting shot over. Just get a nice lightweight knit orange hat and you should be fine. If you still want to wear your brown hat, try tying on some vinyl flourescent strips that they use for survey marking.

STEVEM
02-19-2007, 00:39
If you hike in PA during deer season your a very brave man! Buy an orange hat. Be sure not to carry or pull out a white handkerchief or tissue. I also wear an orange vest with reflector strips like the highway guys wear.

If you're really attached to your brown hat, you could pin on a few strips of brightly colored surveyors tape.

http://aeorienteering.com/surveyors-tape-p-148.html

Mags
02-19-2007, 01:05
Is it a cowboy hat/OR hat/Boonie hat shaped type hat?

Then this may work:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=LL4QEQDLIJ50ICWQNWSCCOIK0BW0KI WE?id=0020823220366a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0410202&cm_ite=0020823220366a&_requestid=85969

Obviously, it is meant for a cowboy hat, but I think it would work for any widebrimmed hat. At only $3, it is reasonably priced, too.

I susepct any hunting/fishing store may sell something similar. I've also seen them for sale in the local Army/Navy store, too.

LIhikers
02-19-2007, 09:11
Go to a fabric store, or use one of the on-line outdoor fabric sites, and find some blaze orange material. Make yourself bandanas big enough to tie on your head over your hat. You want that orange visible all around you, all 360 degrees.

dperry
02-19-2007, 12:48
Is it a cowboy hat/OR hat/Boonie hat shaped type hat?

Then this may work:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=LL4QEQDLIJ50ICWQNWSCCOIK0BW0KI WE?id=0020823220366a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0410202&cm_ite=0020823220366a&_requestid=85969

Obviously, it is meant for a cowboy hat, but I think it would work for any widebrimmed hat. At only $3, it is reasonably priced, too.

I susepct any hunting/fishing store may sell something similar. I've also seen them for sale in the local Army/Navy store, too.

Hi, Mags,

That's similar to my hat. I'll have to look and see if I can find something like that. Thanks.

KMaha
02-21-2007, 22:59
Kevlar works pretty good

dperry
02-22-2007, 00:40
Kevlar works pretty good

KMaha will be playing Vegas on Tuesday, folks. ;)

copythat
02-23-2007, 01:10
http://tinyurl.com/28wdzv

dperry
02-25-2007, 01:40
Sorry, it's bad enough I have to wear orange as it is (orange is Princeton colors, and as a good alumnus of the University of Pennsylvania, this is anathema to me); I sure as heck ain't wearing Syracuse stuff.

mnof1000v
02-25-2007, 02:24
The actual chances of you getting shot by a hunter are ridiculously low. First, a hunter would have to be entirely incompetent if he is shooting at a white patch he sees in the distance. No hunter who has spent more than one day in the woods shoots without having a clean view of his target. You have to see it to see the kill shots available. A simple white patch is not sufficient.

If you already have a blaze orange vest and/or pack cover, you really don't need a hat as well. Wearing all that stuff, you'll be obvious for a serious distance. And if you're in an area where you are legitimately concerned about hunting - maybe you hear gun shots - be vocal as you hike. Talk to a hiking partner or to yourself, sing or whistle. You'd be surprised how far off a human voice travels.

I'm sure people will jump all over me on this one, but I come from a family of hunters.

aaronthebugbuffet
02-25-2007, 06:04
try this 1479

LIhikers
03-06-2007, 11:39
The actual chances of you getting shot by a hunter are ridiculously low.

That may be true, but it still occasionally happens. There was just such a story in the ATC newsletter a couple of years ago. So there's no harm in trying to make the odds even lower if you can.