PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Trail to NOC (NOBO)

Pedaling Fool
02-19-2007, 14:39
Curious about the Wesser Creek Trail. I've heard this is the old AT that took you to the town of Wesser. I know the town is now gone, but as I look at the map (NORTH CAROLIN: Bly Gap to Fontana Dam dtd 2004) I see (in very small font - had to use a magnifiying glass) "Wesser Creek Shelter" on the Wesser Creek Trail (NOT The "Wesser Bald Shelter" on the AT).

About 1/4 mile past the Wesser Creek Shelter the Wesser Creek Trail ends, or runs into a road, which seems, in a round about way, to take you to US19, ~1 mile East of NOC.

There also seems to be a trail that parallels US19 (the font is just too small), which leads to NOC, is this true?

To sum up my question: Is there an alternate trail/route to NOC (for NOBOs) and what condition is it?

Lone Wolf
02-19-2007, 14:45
Curious about the Wesser Creek Trail. I've heard this is the old AT that took you to the town of Wesser. I know the town is now gone, but as I look at the map (NORTH CAROLIN: Bly Gap to Fontana Dam dtd 2004) I see (in very small font - had to use a magnifiying glass) "Wesser Creek Shelter" on the Wesser Creek Trail (NOT The "Wesser Bald Shelter" on the AT).

About 1/4 mile past the Wesser Creek Shelter the Wesser Creek Trail ends, or runs into a road, which seems, in a round about way, to take you to US19, ~1 mile East of NOC.

There also seems to be a trail that parallels US19 (the font is just too small), which leads to NOC, is this true?

To sum up my question: Is there an alternate trail/route to NOC (for NOBOs) and what condition is it?

The Wesser Creek trail is one of my favorites. The trail starts just opposite the side trail that leads to Wesser Bald shelter. Follow the blue-blaze trail all the way out to a gravel then eventually paved road which leads to US19. There's a store there. Go left .8 to NOC.

The Solemates
02-19-2007, 15:41
the shelter is no longer there.

jlb2012
02-19-2007, 16:53
Lone Wolf - that was the trail you lead the hike on at SoRuck - right?

Lone Wolf
02-19-2007, 16:54
Lone Wolf - that was the trail you lead the hike on at SoRuck - right?

yes. correct.

Pedaling Fool
02-19-2007, 18:25
How's the descent on this trail, in comparison to the AT descent into NOC?

Lone Wolf
02-19-2007, 18:30
How's the descent on this trail, in comparison to the AT descent into NOC?

the descent is very gradual and switchedback. much nicer than the AT. the trail was clear just over a month ago.

The Solemates
02-20-2007, 15:41
the descent is very gradual and switchedback. much nicer than the AT. the trail was clear just over a month ago.

yea, cleared by a force of nature, which washed everything away in its path.

Prosseroo
02-20-2007, 15:51
I hiked this trail last April. It looked like a Tsunami took out that section. What caused all that damage? Ivan? Katrina? It seemed localized and I've never seen anything like it.

bigcranky
02-20-2007, 21:38
I hiked this trail at th Ruck thanks to Lone Wolf. It was a very pleasant trail. Good, even grade, well maintained, and the road down to Wesser looked like an interesting walk.