PDA

View Full Version : Spending "monies" on the thru-hike...

Baum Trigger
02-19-2007, 17:27
I was curious how much money is spent while actually hiking the trail. Im not concerned with transportation to and from the beginning/end or gear bought prior to departure. I know they say 3k to 6k is standard, but I'm looking for personal numbers just for the hell of it, so If you are willing to share, I'd like to hear how much YOU spent (approximately) while making the trek. Thanks to all for your posts! Good luck to all of you '07!

eventidecu
02-19-2007, 17:42
Great topic, I'd be interested in hearing about this as well. Was wondering myself as I almost pulled the trigger on an inpromtu long walk myself without knowing this, until a new job got in the way.

superman
02-20-2007, 09:26
Normal...no, not normal. Before I hiked the AT I was on Wingfoot's site and they were talking about different ways to stay in control of your money at home while hiking. They warned to be careful who you leave with access to your money. I didn't understand what they meant until after I finished my thru hike. I had given my ex-girl friend access to my money to pay my bills while I was away. I thought I could trust her. She stole $15,000. That doesn't include the things that were missing from my house. I had started the AT with my son and paid his expenses. He hiked to Gatlinburg. I spent about $7,000 on the actual hike. It didn't bother me to stay in a motel or sample the restaurants along the way. $22,000 is not normal for an AT hike. Incidentally...I now pay my bills via the internet so I can handle it myself at town stops when I hike.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 09:41
I had given my ex-girl friend access to my money to pay my bills while I was away. I thought I could trust her. She stole $15,000.

15 g's for 6 months? :eek: ... :-? Still cheaper than my wife. :datz D'oh! :D

Baum Trigger
02-20-2007, 13:08
Normal...no, not normal. Before I hiked the AT I was on Wingfoot's site and they were talking about different ways to stay in control of your money at home while hiking. They warned to be careful who you leave with access to your money. I didn't understand what they meant until after I finished my thru hike. I had given my ex-girl friend access to my money to pay my bills while I was away. I thought I could trust her. She stole $15,000. That doesn't include the things that were missing from my house. I had started the AT with my son and paid his expenses. He hiked to Gatlinburg. I spent about $7,000 on the actual hike. It didn't bother me to stay in a motel or sample the restaurants along the way. $22,000 is not normal for an AT hike. Incidentally...I now pay my bills via the internet so I can handle it myself at town stops when I hike.

Did the $7,000 you actually spent also include expenditures for your son? That seems awful high. I'm sorry to hear about your loss thru the dishonesty of others. I've had similar situations occur as well, but not quite as extreme. There were enough hotspots along the way to control your own bills via the net? I never would have guessed there would be enough. I was planning on writing out all the checks for my bills in advance and grouping them by the months so they could be sent out in bulk.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 13:11
you can find internet access 2-3 times a week on the trail

mountain squid
02-20-2007, 13:17
I was planning on writing out all the checks for my bills in advance and grouping them by the months so they could be sent out in bulk.

Checks?!? What are they? Can't you set up your bills for auto payment? It is alot easier...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Baum Trigger
02-20-2007, 13:23
Checks?!? What are they? Can't you set up your bills for auto payment? It is alot easier...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Some of my bills do not allow me to partake in the lovely autopay function.. the others I already have setup in such a manner. Anway, :), I was really hoping to get some info about how much money individuals spent. If you don't want to share, thats fine, and I understand. I thought it might be interesting to see such statistics. :-?

Gray Blazer
02-20-2007, 13:28
15 g's for 6 months? :eek: ... :-? Still cheaper than my wife. :datz D'oh! :DDidja ever listen to Handle on the Law (talk radio)? You know what you're paying for, right?

partinj
02-20-2007, 13:59
I read somewhere on one of the site think it might have been trailplace that a guy did the trail on less than 800.00. he allready had all his gear and had got his train ticket. spend most his time in the woods :-?

mnof1000v
02-20-2007, 14:19
I'd say I had a pretty "standard" hike, if there is such a thing. I typically put in 20 to 25 miles a day, with a town visit at least one day out of seven. I took a lot of zeros, but mostly to hang out with cool people or in fun towns. I'm not a heavy drinker, so I didn't have outrageous drinking expenses. I planned for about $2500, with a safety net. I spent about $3500. If you factor in travel costs, new equipment purchases while on the trail, health insurance, and bills I had to pay, the total is much closer to 7k. And I don't regret one penny I spent.:banana

hammock engineer
02-20-2007, 15:29
My student loan, car payment, car insurance (not going to drop as someone is going to be driving it and I still owe on it), cell phone (may shut off later), health insurance, and pocketmail account will run me about $3K for 7 months. I am going to prepay everything I can and everything else is on autopay. I am putting all my stuff in a family members house for storage, so no rent to worry about.

I am going to set up a weekly budget that will take me to $2600. With a $2K in reserve if needed. I really don't drink that much, feel the need to sleep in hotels, or eat at resturants all the time (I work at one). I also have backups of all my gear with parents for mail drops if needed. They are going to mail me map sections along with food. So that should be a mail drop every other week or so. I also have a ride planned to pick me up from Maine and drive me back home.

I am also planning on picking up a just in case credit card.

I can also be back at my at current job a few days after returning, so it doesn't matter that much if I come back with only a few dollars in my pocket to spare.

superman
02-20-2007, 16:03
The $7000 included all the gear and expenses for both my son and I. It's hard to say what part was only for my hike but I's guess about $5000 I didn't skimp along the trail either. I didn't set out to do it on the cheap. One of my quests was for a good prime rib. For all the restaurants I sampled along the way I enjoyed "The Home Place" the best (no prime rib). I took showers in comfy motels when they were available and yet I still stunk.
It wasn't the first time a woman has cost me some money. :datz

mrc237
02-20-2007, 17:15
Was her name Lois Lane? :)

dloome
02-20-2007, 17:31
About $400 for gear replaced or bought along the way, another $1,200 or so for all other trail expenses.

I took about 3 1/2 months with I think 4 or 5 zero days, so probably a little less than normal. I'd guess most people spend about $3,000 while hiking.

Marta
02-20-2007, 20:06
My husband kindly kept track of my spending for me. ;-))) I had a fairly lavish trip, with lots of motels, B&B stays, restaurant meals, and some gear replacement. It added up to around $8,000. I actually thought it would be more. When I add the six months of missed income--ouch!

I suspect spending often rises with age...

Marta/Five-Leaf

Baum Trigger
02-20-2007, 20:11
My husband kindly kept track of my spending for me. ;-))) I had a fairly lavish trip, with lots of motels, B&B stays, restaurant meals, and some gear replacement. It added up to around $8,000. I actually thought it would be more. When I add the six months of missed income--ouch!

I suspect spending often rises with age...

Marta/Five-Leaf

Wow, for the most part #'s are a little higher than I had expected. I was hoping to spend not much more than $3000 (is this do-able?) I hadn't planned on spending much money on hotels, restaurants, etc. It would be nice to spend more than this, but I dont quite have that much funds built up.

superman
02-20-2007, 20:20
Yes you can hike the AT on $3000. Lot's of people hike it for that much or even less. How much you spend and how long you take to hike the AT are up to you. You are free to hike your own hike and it's all good.

mrc237
02-20-2007, 20:26
It must be said that Marta did a SB hike that ended late Jan 07' 8 large musta been fun!

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 20:36
It must be said that Marta did a SB hike that ended late Jan 07' 8 large musta been fun!

in 2000 me and gypsy hiked 1600 miles, took 9 months, i spent 12,000 large, she spent 4.:) good time was had by all.

Marta
02-20-2007, 20:38
I stayed in some extremely excellent places... And ate some wonderful food... And drank some wonderful beer... And bought some wonderful gear...

Marta/Five-Leaf

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 20:43
I stayed in some extremely excellent places... And ate some wonderful food... And drank some wonderful beer... And bought some wonderful gear...

Marta/Five-Leaf

that's great. you hit the AT with $$. tons of people don't and by the time they hit damascus they're broke. spent most of it on booze, dope, cigarettes and they're lookin' for work-for-stay. "the trail will provide" attitude. worse than born-again friggin xians.:rolleyes:

mrc237
02-20-2007, 20:50
xians??? What in Christ's name is that?

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 20:52
xians??? What in Christ's name is that?

you know, bible-thumpin' a-holes

smokymtnsteve
02-20-2007, 20:54
you know, bible-thumpin' a-holes

sometimes known as funda-mental-cases

rafe
02-20-2007, 20:55
that's great. you hit the AT with $$. tons of people don't and by the time they hit damascus they're broke. spent most of it on booze, dope, cigarettes and they're lookin' for work-for-stay. "the trail will provide" attitude. worse than born-again friggin xians.:rolleyes:

Well, unless they're asking you for a handout, why do you care? And who are you to preach? :rolleyes:

Majority of thru-hikers (or wannabees) are youngsters who have no notion of what "fiscal responsibility" involves. They'll either figure it out... or not. But since our President doesn't seem to care about such matters, why should they? :)

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 21:00
Well, unless they're asking you for a handout, why do you care? And who are you to preach? :rolleyes:

Majority of thru-hikers (or wannabees) are youngsters who have no notion of what "fiscal responsibility" involves. They'll either figure it out... or not. But since our President doesn't seem to care about such matters, why should they? :)

f ck off with your politics for christs sake. always running your piehole

handlebar
02-20-2007, 21:04
Wow, for the most part #'s are a little higher than I had expected. I was hoping to spend not much more than $3000 (is this do-able?) I hadn't planned on spending much money on hotels, restaurants, etc. It would be nice to spend more than this, but I dont quite have that much funds built up.

You can do it for sure, just shy away from towns, bars, and restaurants. Read Weathercarrots Ideas for an Inexpensive Thruhike in the articles section for some good pointers. You're looking at about $15 per day if you're out the typical 6 months (180 days). That'll buy plenty of food with something left over for an occasional hostel stay and restaurant meal. (Try to hit the Homeplace in Catawba VA open Thur thru Sunday). To be sure you don't run out, break that down to $100 per week and hold your spending at that level. Obviously, $100/night hotel rooms will be out of the question!

I spent quite a bit more (around $6000), but I indulged in a good many town luxuries on the way just because I could:D.

Besides you're planning for an 08 hike. Tighten your belt for a year and set a little more aside for some luxuries, then in spring of 08 just "Go for it!" You won't regret it.

smokymtnsteve
02-20-2007, 21:04
f ck off with your politics for christs sake. always running your piehole..

that's right nothing wrong with W's spending he ain't raisin taxes..so U see he ain't begging nor is he looking for work.

Baum Trigger
02-20-2007, 22:39
You can do it for sure, just shy away from towns, bars, and restaurants. Read Weathercarrots Ideas for an Inexpensive Thruhike in the articles section for some good pointers. You're looking at about $15 per day if you're out the typical 6 months (180 days). That'll buy plenty of food with something left over for an occasional hostel stay and restaurant meal. (Try to hit the Homeplace in Catawba VA open Thur thru Sunday). To be sure you don't run out, break that down to $100 per week and hold your spending at that level. Obviously, $100/night hotel rooms will be out of the question!

Much thanks to all those that have posted so far. Sorry for all the arguing everyone, I didnt want this post to become a political/ religious rampage. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that 3k will be enough. My plan for the hike is to stay away from towns and civilization as much as possible during so that should help keep my expenses down. An occasional hostel stay or restaurant meal is all I will be needing (Thanks for the Homeplace advice, I'll definitely check it out!). Thanks again!

rswanson
02-21-2007, 15:06
f ck off with your politics for christs sake. always running your piehole
Every time I start to think I have a bad attitude, all I have to do is read one of your posts to remiond me I could be much worse.

Lilred
02-21-2007, 18:31
Good luck on your hike. If your hostel money is limited, you should find out which hostels are a 'don't miss' type of hostel. I haven't hiked much of the AT yet, but I can tell you my list, if I were to do a thru on a limited budget. they would include, Sunnybank Inn in HOT Springs. A tad pricey with dinner and breakfast, but oh man is it nice. Also, you may want to hit Standing Bear hostel right out of the Smokies, Miss Janet's is a don't miss in Erwin, and Kincora, run by Bob Peoples is a definate.

bfitz
02-21-2007, 19:21
About 6k. I like to party and "see the sights" in towns and stuff as well, so if you're only concerned with hiking without touristy ambitions and spend less time in town, and don't drink and smoke, you'll probably get by on a lot less. Let's say you spend 10 dollars a day on food (that's approx $1800), and stay in a hostel about 2 days a week (50 bucks x say... 26=1300 ) and add 1000 bucks for miscellaneous, and another 1000 for splurge items, such as restaurant meals drinking and fun stuff... that's about 5100 bucks. This seems to be close to what most people I know have spent, with a few exceptions such as the guy who spent 10k and the guy who spent 2k...If you have other expensive habits I'd add another thousand or two...