PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Question.

MikeG
02-19-2007, 17:50
I just started using the MSR pocket rocket and im getting ready to thru hike the georgia portion of the AT. my question is, how many fuel canisters should i look at bringing? ill be making breakfast, and two meals at night, for two people. rough ideas?

Jim Adams
02-19-2007, 17:55
I usually only "cook" supper so I only fire up my P.Rocket once a day and heat water for food and drinks. 1 of the medium size cannisters will last me for 10--12 days.
geek

Lone Wolf
02-19-2007, 18:23
about 8 days for two people

mweinstone
02-19-2007, 18:29
you need exactly one. there all over in hiker boxes and for sale. try wingin it and discover how you fare. or bring a crapload and feast like its 1999.

bigcranky
02-19-2007, 19:02
If it were me, I would start with one 8-oz canister (which actually weighs 12-oz full), and then plan to buy fuel at Neel Gap. You should have a good idea how much fuel you are using per day by that point.

All I ever do is boil water for freezer bag meals, and I use about 1/4 oz of fuel for each 2 cups of water boiled. So I use about 1 oz a day in colder weather, which I extrapolate to 2 oz per day for two people, or about 6 oz for three days to Neel Gap. If you are going to do some serious cooking, you might bring an extra 4 oz canister for the first section.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) Any wind at all will put a serious hurt on your fuel efficiency. Try to find a good wind break (though not inside your tent).
2) The Pocket Rocket is one of the canister stoves that has its best fuel efficiency at about half throttle. Cranking it all the way up just wastes fuel, without making it any faster.

rafe
02-19-2007, 21:00
I figure 0.1 oz of canister fuel for each cup of water boiled under ideal conditions. The small canisters have just under 4 oz fuel, so that's 40 cups boiled. Go from there.

MikeG
02-19-2007, 22:16
thanks guys. i appreciate the help. ill probably bring three, just because im going with 5 other guys and i always like to have backups incase someone screws somthing up.

jrwiesz
02-20-2007, 02:06
thanks guys. i appreciate the help. ill probably bring three, just because im going with 5 other guys and i always like to have backups incase someone screws somthing up.
6 people, for 6 days and 5 nights, with 2 meals/day, used less than 2 canisters.