PDA

View Full Version : Space blanket as groundsheet?

vaporjourney
02-19-2007, 18:02
After doing some preliminary research on keeping warm in a hammock (don't use hammock yet!), I've stumbled upon using a space blanket under you to stay warm. I've never actually used one of these before, and don't know how flimsy the fabric is, but would these be suitable for use as a groundsheet in shelters? i typically don't use shelters, but who knows what will happen in terms of weather and an AT-thru hike. If I need to use a shelter, perhaps I can use this space blanket that I would put under my sleeping pad in a tent, or under a hammock for warmth, and not carry a slice of tyvek? They are pretty lightweight, and would possibly add to warmth on cold nigths. Just a thought.

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 18:22
I used one of the mylar 'space blankets' as a footprint under my tent, and, with care (and a few small tape repairs) it lasted a long time before it needed replacement. I used it occasionally in shelters, as well. Not sure if it kept me very warm, but it helped keep my bag clean.

The Weasel

Jester2000
02-19-2007, 18:24
In a shelter they are annoyingly noisy, unless you don't move at all when you sleep.

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 18:27
With only modest patience, had no problem refolding it very small. My first one lasted about 400 miles

The Weasel

Brushy Sage
02-19-2007, 19:05
A mylar space blanket will last a long time if treated with reasonable care. The non-mylar, cheaper ones are much more fragile.

atraildreamer
02-19-2007, 19:42
I had a 4' x 6' space blanket that was similar to one of the ubiquitous blue tarps that you see on the roofs of houses after a hurricane. One side had the reflective coating. I was very durable, and could double as a shelter, but the downside was the heavier weight.

The Weasel
02-19-2007, 20:24
Those are nice, but heavy. Trick I used with my "mylar" sheet To mnimize tearing, I ran clear shipping tape around every edge, folded over the edge. That added about an ounce but make it less likely to tear. Then I carried about 5 feet of clear tape wrapped around my trekking pole to use for patching. Didn't use more than about 2' in small pieces.

The Weasel

Midway Sam
02-19-2007, 20:47
I had a 4' x 6' space blanket that was similar to one of the ubiquitous blue tarps that you see on the roofs of houses after a hurricane. One side had the reflective coating. I was very durable, and could double as a shelter, but the downside was the heavier weight.

As a section hiker, I'm not quite as concerned about weight. This is one of two "luxury items" that I allow myself. I use it in shelters or under mu Golite Lair 1 as a ground cloth.

My other "luxury item" is my Canon Digital Rebel XTi and 2 lenses. :eek:

Nest
02-19-2007, 20:52
REI has a space blanket that is orange on one side, and it is much more durable than most I've seen. It seems to have more plastic in it for the orange coating, so it has some give. It costs a little more, but is worth it in my opinion. The plus side is the orange reflects less heat than the dull side of regular mylar blankets, so on warm nights it can still be used.

butter123
02-19-2007, 23:54
go to gossamar gear they have groud cloths for six dollars and i think they are under 2 ounces