PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping system

swatcat
02-19-2007, 23:29
Hello all!

A question for a thru-hike:

Would the Marmot Atom (+850 fill, 40ºF) sleeping bag, plus long underwear, Patagonia puffball vest, hat and socks be safe to keep me warm in the more extreme weather the AT can/will throw my way? I'm a 5' 11', 155 lbs. male with a pretty average sleep temperature.

I'm tossing between getting a WM Ultralite (20º) bag or the Atom/puffball combo. I'm leaning toward the Atom/puffball combo because then:

1. I can get away with buying one bag for the thru-hike.
2. I can have a lighter sleeping bag.
3. I can multipurpose the vest for chilly evenings and sleeping.

Any thoughts? Is this realistic, or should I just go with the WM Ultralite, which, after trying it in the store was reeeeeally nice (but more expensive).

Thanks so much for your time. :)

swatcat
02-19-2007, 23:59
I forgot - I'm also using a z-lite small and a silk liner. Sorry if this is redundant with other questions in forums - there's so much information!

Danka!

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2007, 00:06
I wavered between the 15 degree Helium and 40 degree Atom. Someone told me, "You can't sleep if you're cold, and if you can't sleep, you can't hike." I sure was glad to have the 15 degree Helium and there were a couple of nights when I was cold, in my tent, with all my clothes on, no jacket. A knit wool cap is pretty handy when sleeping.

mike!
02-20-2007, 00:11
Rick, i geuss this question is easier to answer if you included when your starting the trail, cuz right now i've got nothing.
mike!

hammock engineer
02-20-2007, 00:13
I'll have to agree. I need a good night's sleep. I am taking a 20 deg bag starting out for use in my hammock. I have a 50 degree quilt I am going to get in the summer.

Another thing to think of. I do not like to consider anything I hike in as part of my normal sleeping system. Anything I hike in, I consider as wet at the end of the day.

Another thing to consider is your bottom insulation. Very important in hammocks, but still really helpful on the ground. A good pad will do wondering to keep you warm.

swatcat
02-20-2007, 00:14
Thanks for responding. Planning on starting March 14. Exciting exciting!

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2007, 00:20
Oh, I missed using the puffball for camp & sleeping. That might work. Maybe someone who has done it will respond.

Is there room in the bag for all that? There was not room for me to be comfortable wearing a fleece, but I'm... a bit.... on the husky side.

Also, don't get rid of your winter gear too soon. I kept it until Harpers Ferry, got it back in Glencliff.

soulrebel
02-20-2007, 00:20
Recommend a 30d bag and possibly another jacket/down sweater in addition to the vest.

worms222
02-20-2007, 00:42
Is a big agnes pomoir hoit 0 degree overkill i to be leaving march 1

Appalachian Tater
02-20-2007, 01:05
The pomer hoit would work. If you got hot you can unzip it and use it as a quilt, right? There will probably be nights where you'll be glad to have a zero bag. Doesn't it weigh close to four pounds, though?

rswanson
02-20-2007, 15:57
I'm tossing between getting a WM Ultralite (20º) bag or the Atom/puffball combo. I'm leaning toward the Atom/puffball combo because then:

1. I can get away with buying one bag for the thru-hike.
2. I can have a lighter sleeping bag.
3. I can multipurpose the vest for chilly evenings and sleeping.
Your thinking is right on but I think you might be pushing the limits of the Atom with just baselayers and the Micropuff vest. I'm sure some could do it but you're on the trail March-early April you're going to see 20 degrees nights (quite possibly lower). I figure my Micropuff pullover gets me about 15 degrees and I'm a warm sleeper. I'd say the vest gives me 5-10 tops.

Take a look at the Western Mountaineering Summerlight...close in weight to the Atom (3 ounces heavier), a few bucks more, full zip, draft tube, and about 10 degrees warmer rating. Same cut as the Ultralight so if that bag fit good, so would the Summerlight. That would give you a larger saftey margin on sub-freezing nights.

Ramble~On
02-20-2007, 16:05
Personal choice and the variables are endless.
Some people sleep warmer than others. Some sleeping bags are rated by people who are insane...for a some a bag rated to 40 degrees may only be comforatble in the 60's.
If I were to start March 14 I would want a 15-20 degree bag.
Probably by Virginia I'd send it home and replace it with a summer bag but that's me.

swatcat
02-20-2007, 22:11
Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and got the WM Ultralite. Comfortable sleeping ahoy!

Chache
02-24-2007, 18:06
Just got the Atom. I am going to try it at 30-35 in the backyard. I will use my Marmot long underwear and maybe my Feathered Friends Hyperion Jacket. I have the Big agnus Seedhouse 2SL. I will let you know.