PDA

View Full Version : Howdy, with a question

Captain Crunch
02-20-2007, 02:41
I just joined up to this site. I live in Bristol, TN and have been hiking around here in modest amounts. Mostly, I do LOTS of caving. However, about 5 years ago, while selling pottery at Trail Days (Sapling Grove Pottery- that's me), I really caught the AT Bug!!!
Job and family will simply not allow a 6 month leave to thru hike, so it's section hiking for now. In the 3rd week of March, my 18 year old daughter and I will do a weeklong section hike. We may start at Springer Mtn, or if the drop-off is too difficult for my wife, we may start somewhere around Erwin, TN and hike back home. Anyway, I hope to run into some of you intrepid Thru Hikers on the way.
The question: We have one last item to purchase for our hike. The TENTS. I have been thinking about either the MSR Zoid or the Hubba. I would appreciate any comments about either of these tents or suggestions on other good moderately priced single person (ultralight) tents. Thanks.

ScottP
02-20-2007, 03:28
tents are expensive and heavy. I'd buy 6x10 silnylon tarps. I use an Etowah one. I think it's 9 oz and $90 or so.

Disney
02-20-2007, 04:06
One of the only unquestionable benefits to a tent is the mosquito lining. Which is not a problem in the time frame you're talking about and the location. Food for thought.

GlazeDog
02-20-2007, 10:00
I know that gear shop in Damascus carries MSR products. The owner there has a lot of knowledge. Check them out there if it's not too far for you.

GlazeDog

DrewNC2005
02-20-2007, 10:20
Tarptent.com - you'll find shelters there that provide lightweight storm and bug protection. You can do a search on the forums here and you will rarely find a negative comment.

troglobil
02-20-2007, 10:49
Yeah but that leads to another question of which tarptent. So many choices.

DrewNC2005
02-20-2007, 11:31
Yeah but that leads to another question of which tarptent. So many choices.

You're exactly right...I just don't know enough about his intended use to make a sound recomendation.

peanuts
02-20-2007, 11:33
or better yet...... consider hammocks for each of you:D

jesse
02-20-2007, 11:42
sew your own. http://www.ray-way.com (http://www.ray-way.com/)
Mine woks just fine.

maxNcathy
02-20-2007, 11:44
Check out Eureka Spitfire tents...ebay too.

madstang
02-20-2007, 11:51
I am a swinger my self. You just have to remember to either insulate the outside of the bottom of your hammock or remember a pad; else your butt will get cold. That time of year, you can't count on getting into a shelter, and you have to plan on cold weather still.

TJ aka Teej
02-20-2007, 11:51
:welcome to Whiteblaze!
Here's my $89 tent:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39168734

rswanson
02-20-2007, 16:02
I just joined up to this site. I live in Bristol, TN and have been hiking around here in modest amounts. Mostly, I do LOTS of caving. However, about 5 years ago, while selling pottery at Trail Days (Sapling Grove Pottery- that's me), I really caught the AT Bug!!!
Job and family will simply not allow a 6 month leave to thru hike, so it's section hiking for now. In the 3rd week of March, my 18 year old daughter and I will do a weeklong section hike. We may start at Springer Mtn, or if the drop-off is too difficult for my wife, we may start somewhere around Erwin, TN and hike back home. Anyway, I hope to run into some of you intrepid Thru Hikers on the way.
The question: We have one last item to purchase for our hike. The TENTS. I have been thinking about either the MSR Zoid or the Hubba. I would appreciate any comments about either of these tents or suggestions on other good moderately priced single person (ultralight) tents. Thanks.
I'd choose the Hubba over the Zoid because of the headroom. Both are decent tents, though. The Hubba isn't exactly cheap; for that money I'd buy Henry Shire's Tarptent Contrail or Rainbow.

rafe
02-20-2007, 20:10
MSR tents have been around for a long while and the Hubba has been popular with thru hikers. For my money, they're a bit pricey and heavy for what you get (in terms of real estate and headroom.) But that's the MSR style -- ie., overdesigned and heavy. If you're looking for ultralight (and incredible customer service) it's hard to beat a Tarptent. For solo use, check out the Tarptent Rainbow.

Captain Crunch
02-20-2007, 23:29
Thanks everyone!!! I will check out all of the sites mentioned as soon as I log off here.

RAT
02-20-2007, 23:53
Welcome caverdude. I live in JC. Perhaps our trails will cross oneday.

RAT>PATROL

Earl Grey
02-21-2007, 00:06
I have the Hubba and love it.

It may weigh more but it is SOLID. Solid freestanding or guyed out. I feel having a solid tent is as important as having a good sleeping bag. In 20mph gusts it didnt budge at all. I have never got wet in it/had bugs in it. Take the rainfly off on a clear night and you can see all around with the mesh. Here are some pics

http://mooncube.org/v/New+Tent/

strnorm
02-21-2007, 21:01
Hey caverdude, welcome to wb I live in kingsport,spend a lot of time on the trail between roan mt. and damacus. hope to see you out there. tie a white ribbon on your pack:welcome

FanaticFringer
02-21-2007, 21:07
Hey caverdude, welcome to wb I live in kingsport,spend a lot of time on the trail between roan mt. and damacus. hope to see you out there. tie a white ribbon on your pack:welcome

Better not tie the white ribbon on during deer season.:eek:

Captain Crunch
02-21-2007, 23:39
Hey STRNORM (and RAT too). We are lucky to live in the heart of these beautiful mountains, eh? If you make it to Trail Days this year, look me up. I will be selling pottery.
BTW...I checked out some of the tents mentioned and the Spitfire really caught my attention (nice price!). The only thing I don't like about it is it lacks a roomy vestibule (a nice thing to have when sorting gear on rainy mornings).