PDA

View Full Version : Boots... I hate them... Can I go without?

Socrates
02-20-2007, 06:53
Ok, so I've been hiking in my boots every day for the past week and I'm sick and tired of how they're hurting my feet. Pain from blisters and raw spots and sore bottoms, I can handle. But all that ankle support is digging into a tendon or whatever the word is, on the very top side of my foot. It's a sharp pinching pain and I can't tolerate it any longer. Just as I was walking to the front door from a hike, it was pinching so bad that I almost stopped in the yard just to go ahead and take those wretched boots off. The whole point to wearing a boot is too have it tight to give ankle support, but if my bony foot "build" doesn't fit miles and miles and miles and miles of ankle support every day, then I may as well not wear them... SO my question is can I just wear my trail runners?? I know I can, but what I'm wondering is since I'm leaving in about a week, I know it's going to be COLD. Will that be a problem? Can trail runners be used with an early start like that and still keep my feet warm?

Egads
02-20-2007, 07:28
Wear what works for you.

You probably need boots if you carry 35+ lbs, otherwise, you can get by with hiking shoes or trail runners.

I ditched my boots after my second hike.

Egads

bigcranky
02-20-2007, 08:14
Trail runners are fine in cold weather. I switch to Goretex lined shoes when I expect snow and ice, mostly for the additional warmth, but mesh runners are okay too. I find that wool socks feel warmer than synthetic socks, especially when they get wet. As long as your pack weight is less than about 40 pounds you should be fine.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 08:27
Ok, so I've been hiking in my boots every day for the past week and I'm sick and tired of how they're hurting my feet. Pain from blisters and raw spots and sore bottoms, I can handle. But all that ankle support is digging into a tendon or whatever the word is, on the very top side of my foot. It's a sharp pinching pain and I can't tolerate it any longer. Just as I was walking to the front door from a hike, it was pinching so bad that I almost stopped in the yard just to go ahead and take those wretched boots off.

Um, it sounds as if your boots don't fit properly and/or aren't fully broken in. I've got narrow bony feet and ankles too and finding a properly fitting boot isn't easy, nor is breaking them in always accomplished in a week, two weeks of everyday wear is more realistic. That said, your pain points more towards "doesn't fit". There's more to fitting than just length and width, the position/fit of the toe box, heel support, volume, hingepoint, etc, all are important. Talk to a good boot/shoe salesman - it is rocket science sometimes.:-? :rolleyes: :D

The whole point to wearing a boot is too have it tight to give ankle support, ...I know I can, but what I'm wondering is since I'm leaving in about a week, I know it's going to be COLD. Will that be a problem? Can trail runners be used with an early start like that and still keep my feet warm?

Another part of the whole point of boots is also to keep your feet warm and dry and protected from impact. Ankle support isn't the only or even most important reason for boots.

I guess you're going to find out if trail runners are warm enough. My biggest concern would be if they're going to be DRY ENOUGH. If your feet aren't dry this time of year, they're going to be really cold.

Heater
02-20-2007, 08:45
Wow. You Shoulda figured out the right footwear months ago and had the boots broken in by now. Looks like trail runners.

Or you could try going to onew of the places that have experienced boot fitters in your area. try one of the onene on this site:

http://fitsystembyphiloren.com/FITSYSTEMSITE1/wwwroot/consumer/About.html

Florida

† = Custom footbeds
†† = Advanced training, custom footbeds
††† = Advanced training, custom footbeds, specialized modification
w = Widths/Narrow & Wide (M & W)
Altamonte Springs
Travel Country Outdoors - ††† w
www.travelcountry.com (http://www.travelcountry.com/)
800-643-3629

Clearwater
Osprey Bay Outdoors
www.ospreybay.com (http://www.ospreybay.com/)
727-524-9670

Venture Outfitters
www.ventureoutfitters.biz (http://www.ventureoutfitters.biz/)
727-724-9389

Gainesville
Brasington's Adventure Outfitters
www.brasington.com (http://www.brasington.com/)
888-438-4502

Jacksonville
Black Creek Outfitters - † w
www.blackcreekoutfitters.com (http://www.blackcreekoutfitters.com/)
904-645-7003

Ocala
Brasington's Adventure Outfitters
www.brasington.com (http://www.brasington.com/)
888-454-1991

Good luck. Hope this helps.

rafe
02-20-2007, 09:00
In my experience, light fabric shoes won't cut it for walking in snow.

mudhead
02-20-2007, 09:37
Try lacing a little looser over the arch, and then crank down the very upper crossing. Worth a try , might take a few hundred yards to seat your foot and adjust. I have overtightened more than one boot/running shoe and po'd the top of my feet. Good luck.

GlazeDog
02-20-2007, 09:54
YEP---I use trail runners with GoreTex Socks (SealSkinz Socks). The ankle height ultra light versions. They're great in snow--and could be ditched in warmer temps (which can vary unpredictably quite a lot of degrees on the early AT section)

GlazeDog

Chris_Asheville
02-20-2007, 09:59
I have done several 30-40 mile hikes in Merrell Goretex low tops. I never hike in boots. Even in snowy winter hikes I wear those waterproof shoes with thick smartwool socks and hiking pants.
Eliminate the boots and stick with whatever is comfortable.

PJ 2005
02-20-2007, 10:36
trail runners will do fine. my feet never got cold after i got the blood pumping. also, don't worry too much about having a "broken in" shoe... just take some moleskin and take it easy (8-12 miles/day) at first.

Ender
02-20-2007, 11:08
First, try relacing your boots, skipping some of the eyelets over the affected area. It sounds like a similar problem that I had, and relacing took care of the problem for me. I just skipped a few of the eyelets. Your foot needs the room to expand through the arch, and people often overtighten their boots to try to get them tight around the ankle, and put too much pressure on the arch of the foot, causing the pain you mention. I've even seen one hiker relace his boots to skip the foot portion of his foot entirely, only tightening around his ankle.

If that doesn't work, try shoes. Sounds to me though like relacing should fix it.

madstang
02-20-2007, 11:36
One the two 20 yr old northbounders http://www.myspace.com/2007thruhike on the trail now has been doing 20 mile days in snow, both deep and shallow, wearing trail runners. He has some gaiters and keeps dry socks. The only complaint shoe wise that either hiker has had is that their foot gear freezes solid overnight when the temps drop into the teens or lower.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 11:58
Just noticing a pattern here. Most posting from southern climes don't use or see a need for boots. Hmm. Maybe I'm just a New England weenie, but you couldn't get me out in anything above ankle deep snow and freezing temps in trail shoes. To be fair, I haven't hiked in the South since late winter '76, but as I remember the southern mountains can dish out full blown winter weather(deep snow, ice, cold) right through early April.

bigcranky
02-20-2007, 12:47
Hey, 4eyed,

Yes, we get some good winter snow in the mountains down here from time to time. And, yes, I still wear my trail runners, even in deep snow, even in ice and cold. I wear full-length w/b gaiters, w/b (Goretex) trail runners, and light or mid-weight wool socks. If the weather is below freezing, I'll put light long johns under my shorts, or maybe a pair of wind pants, then add light w/b shell pants if the rain is coming down hard.

But I don't think you can compare our winters with, say, Mt. Washington, or Maine. Not having any experience in that kind of weather, I don't know what I'd wear on my feet.

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 12:54
The only complaint shoe wise that either hiker has had is that their foot gear freezes solid overnight when the temps drop into the teens or lower.

Then why don't they slip 'em into a plastic bag and then into the bottom of their sleeping bag??? That's what I do and even though I've had frozen water bottles, I've never had frozen footwear.

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
02-20-2007, 13:00
... w/b gaiters, w/b (Goretex) trail runners, ... w/b shell pants....

Okay if I ask a dumb question??? What's "w/b"???

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 13:15
Okay if I ask a dumb question??? What's "w/b"???

waterproof/breatheable i.e. goretex

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 13:28
Hey, 4eyed,

Yes, we get some good winter snow in the mountains down here from time to time. And, yes, I still wear my trail runners, even in deep snow, even in ice and cold. I wear full-length w/b gaiters, w/b (Goretex) trail runners, and light or mid-weight wool socks. If the weather is below freezing, I'll put light long johns under my shorts, or maybe a pair of wind pants, then add light w/b shell pants if the rain is coming down hard.

But I don't think you can compare our winters with, say, Mt. Washington, or Maine. Not having any experience in that kind of weather, I don't know what I'd wear on my feet.

Hey cranky,

I've toyed with the idea of even just wearing good hiking sandals in the summer months(might test run it this summer on the LT) and agree with the concept of going minimal within reason on footwear. New England winters pretty much rule out anything but boots up here in my experience. I'm just surprised your feet (and especially toes) stay warm enough in trail shoes hiking in snow even with somewhat warmer ground and air temps. It probably doesn't help that at age 50 my circulation isn't as good as it was at age 25 either. The toes and fingers get colder quicker than they did 25 years ago.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-20-2007, 17:56
Just for interest's sake- what brand of boots are you hating and where did you buy them?

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-20-2007, 21:19
I started March 3rd in trail runners (Merrell Mesa Ventilators). No problems with snow etc. Sure my feet got wet, especially when hiking for 4 days through ankle deep slush, but they never got cold & when the weather & trail conditions did improve they were dry in about 4 hours. Just wore mid-weight wool socks (no gaitors).

That whole hiking in ice/snow thing was a new experience ! Not much of that down here.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

hopefulhiker
02-20-2007, 21:27
Dump the boots! Lighten the Pack! Be like the Barefoot Sisters! See their picture!

Socrates
02-20-2007, 22:19
Just for interest's sake- what brand of boots are you hating and where did you buy them?

Vasque Wasatch GTX Boots from a local (and only) outfitter store in my area.

My trail runners are Brooks Adrenaline ASR. When I order my next pair on the trail, I'm thinking about the New Balancen 907.

Froggy
02-20-2007, 22:20
It's way crude, I know, but I've successfully put newspaper bags, the long skinny plastic bags, in between my socks and my shoes. Keeps outside water off, keeps my feet warm... I leave the top of the sock protruding out of the plastic bag for some wicking. I sometimes use a rubber band to keep things in place.

Works a charm for cold, wet weather. Doesn't weigh much or cost much, either.

You can wear holes in the bags, something to be aware of.

I pretty much only wear running shoes, trail running shoes or low-cut sort-of boots these days. None of which are waterproof - although I think you can buy w/b trail-running shoes these days.

Socrates
02-20-2007, 22:40
Not to mention that, at heart, I'm a flip flops kind of guy, winter and summer. Putting me in boots is like putting my ferret in a walking harness for the very first time or tieing something to a cats tail. Plus, I'm a tall guy and these boots are like walking in scuba diving flippers and my pack, (with food), will be about 35 pounds so I need my balance for any situation. If I'm walking outside and a strong wind blows, I have to lean into it. haha The less I fall on the trail, I'm assuming the better.

Mags
02-20-2007, 22:49
In my experience, light fabric shoes won't cut it for walking in snow.

The terrain:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4227

The shoes:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4309

:)

I haven't used boots for backpacking in quite some time. The only time I hike in boots is for trailwork and around town.

Just have a dry pair of socks for just at night.

But, everyone is different.

Best o' luck on your trek!

iesman69
02-20-2007, 22:50
Socrates, I'm currently still breaking in a pair of Vasque Sundowners, and the first couple of hikes were tough! I had a pair over ten years ago(in college), but never wore them under a 30lb pack! Give 'em some more time and miles!

Mags
02-20-2007, 22:52
Just noticing a pattern here. Most posting from southern climes don't use or see a need for boots. Hmm.

I'm from New England and live in Colorado. :)

Socrates
02-20-2007, 23:13
Be looking for my new thread, I'm selling the boots. haha

Froggy
02-21-2007, 01:04
I sometimes use plastic bags, the narrow kind that newspapers come in, between my socks and my trail running shoes. I leave the socks stick out on top (hold things in position with rubber bands) for some wicking.

Low-tech but it does keep outside water off my feet.

The bags wear out but not quickly.

Very light weight, dirt cheap, but won't work for full immersion past the bags. And better in cold weather.

Marta
02-21-2007, 07:55
Last fall when my feet started getting cold, I switched to fleece socks with trail runners. I bought a pair of neoprene socks, but never ended up using them.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Ender
02-21-2007, 09:49
The terrain:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=4227

That looks like the descent coming down off Forester Pass into Kings Canyon?

Mags
02-21-2007, 11:11
That looks like the descent coming down off Forester Pass into Kings Canyon?

It is indeed.

Good memories. Hard to believe it is almost 5 yrs. :eek:

Ender
02-21-2007, 12:00
Tell me about it. I can't wait to get back out there and finish the trail (well, I'd like to re-do the High Sierras since they rock), but can't figure out when I'll have the chance again.

Apparently I need to get my corporate butt laid off, so I can get a severance package. :p

rbrfuture
02-21-2007, 12:47
Hey, 4eyed,

So, do the w/b (waterproof/breathable - thanks for asking Rainman!) rainpants, trailrunners, etc. REALLY keep you dry all day? Even in so called waterproof boots, my feet have always been soggy after a day of walking in the rain. Has anyone actually kept their feet dry throughout a hike? I'd love to learn that.
My body stays warm and dry hiking in the days' long rains in the south with my silnylon poncho/pack cover, shorts, gaiters, and fleece outerwear. Everything is dry and comfy except my feet. They stay warm in LandsEnd Squall Boots or in the various light weight, low cut trail runners I've worn. BUT, they're WET! I like the lightweight shoes because they dry out quickly. My previous Goretex Montrail boots got wet and stayed wet for two days after the rain stopped. Yuck!
At this point, my preference is wearing lightweight cordura boots with no waterproofing. I plan on hiking with wet feet while it's raining then drying out within half a day when the rain stops. I'm considering getting some latex overboots, but balking at the extra 1 -2 lbs they weigh. I'm open to suggestions!

mssnglnk
2007 AT hiker

Ender
02-21-2007, 15:02
So, do the w/b (waterproof/breathable - thanks for asking Rainman!) rainpants, trailrunners, etc. REALLY keep you dry all day?

Heck no. If it's raining, you are going to get at least damp.

Footslogger
02-21-2007, 15:05
[quote=rbrfuture;326113]So, do the w/b (waterproof/breathable - thanks for asking Rainman!) rainpants, trailrunners, etc. REALLY keep you dry all day?
==============================

Might depend in part on the temp/humidity but my experience in 2003 was just the opposite. After a while most everyone gave up on staying dry. What I found was that (in the long haul) if the temps are warm you're actually better off just using things that dry quickly rather than using the so-called waterproof/breathable garments and footwear.

'Slogger

bigcranky
02-21-2007, 15:53
mssnglnk,

I wear the w/b shoes in winter, when I hope that most of the precip will be frozen. They help keep my feet warm while hiking, and I don't have to worry about stepping through ice into a deep puddle and soaking my feet. I also wear tall gaiters, which helps. For three season use, I wear mesh trail runners, not even vaguely water resistant. When it rains, my feet get wet. When I walk through a creek, or a puddle, my feet get wet. But with wool socks, they stay warm, and the shoes dry out a lot faster than my old boots ever did. Nothing worse than walking in soaking wet boots for a couple of days after the sun comes out.

As for when to make the switch, I can't answer that. I am going back and forth right now about footwear for a March section. On the one hand, the trail will be either frozen, snowy, or muddy. On the other hand, if it warms up some, hiking in w/b trail runners isn't fun. (My feet sweat a lot.)

Hope this helps.

rswanson
02-21-2007, 15:58
At this point, my preference is wearing lightweight cordura boots with no waterproofing. I plan on hiking with wet feet while it's raining then drying out within half a day when the rain stops.
That's it, you've got it. If you must use boots instead of trail runners, get the most breathable boots you can find, preferably 100% synthetic and with a lot of mesh. Take care of your feet at the end of the day and take your boots off at rest stops to let your feet air out. Squeeze what water you can out of the insoles. Just remember that at night wet boots can freeze, so you might want to toss them in a bag and keep them in your sleeping bag at night.

Footnotes
02-21-2007, 16:14
I have a pair of LL Bean Cresta boots that have about 700 miles of walking bliss on them. They were literally broke-in out of the box. Anyway, yesterday I walked 10 miles in them as part of the training for an April hike. They started hurting about 100 yds from the house and never stopped hurting. When I got home and pulled the sock, I had a half dollar size bruise right on top of one of the tendons and now I know that I must have laced them way too tight.

The foot is so sore in that spot that I cannot even put them on. So using a little ingenuity I cut the tongue out of an old pair of tennis shoes and layed over the bruise. Now I can wear then while the foot and it's tissue are healing.

ScottP
02-21-2007, 17:02
Noticed somethign looking down this list--every thru-hiker (that put it in an ovious place on thier signature/displayed profile, and that I noticed) recommended trail runners and giving up on staying dry.

rafe
02-21-2007, 17:56
Noticed somethign looking down this list--every thru-hiker (that put it in an ovious place on thier signature/displayed profile, and that I noticed) recommended trail runners and giving up on staying dry.

In '90 I managed to make it almost to Erwin with dry feet. I was wearing Fabiano Trionics, a midweight leather boot. But eventually even the fabulous Trionics soaked through. Since then I've given up on dry feet... and my boots keep getting lighter and lighter as the years roll on. Wet feet are tolerable as long as your shoes/boots are comfortable and you're not wearing cotton socks. Make sure you have a spare dry pair to wear while sleeping.

Mags
02-21-2007, 20:26
IMake sure you have a spare dry pair to wear while sleeping.

I agree. A "sacred stash' of dry socks for night time is key.

Mags
02-21-2007, 20:28
but can't figure out when I'll have the chance again.

Sometimes you just gotta make your own chances. :)

Go for it. The trail calls!

Blissful
02-21-2007, 20:40
First, try relacing your boots, skipping some of the eyelets over the affected area. It sounds like a similar problem that I had, and relacing took care of the problem for me. I just skipped a few of the eyelets. Your foot needs the room to expand through the arch, and people often overtighten their boots to try to get them tight around the ankle, and put too much pressure on the arch of the foot, causing the pain you mention. I've even seen one hiker relace his boots to skip the foot portion of his foot entirely, only tightening around his ankle.

If that doesn't work, try shoes. Sounds to me though like relacing should fix it.

Yep, agreed. You may have tied them too tight. Puts pressure on the anterior tendon, causing inflammation. Make sure you ice the tendon and take Vit I until it settles down. You can have that kind of pain too even with trail runners if they are not tied correctly or too tight. I get this myself. I have to be very careful how I tie my boots. They have to be just right - esp on my troublesome left foot.

IMO - I'd get the shoe issue resolved and then start your hike if you were wanting to go this weekend. Maybe go to an outfitter or even a running shoe store if you go with a trail runners. No sense starting your hike early if you don't have the right shoes. And make sure your socks are right too.

GlazeDog
02-28-2007, 10:13
Bones apparently went without boots---uuugghhh!! And with that load!!!

Link:

http://whiteblaze.net54-med.jpg/forum/vbg/files/2/9/3/9/dsc_47

GlazeDog

GlazeDog
02-28-2007, 10:14
Let's try this link for Bones pic:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=3114&c=507

GlazeDog

Gaiter
02-28-2007, 10:41
meet a father son pair who were doing the southern half of the trail last summer, the son hiked in crocs, and had a pair of tennis shoes for camp shoes, he wore regular hiking socks w/ his crocs. he said that his feet got wet sometimes, but they would dry out easily. they said they were averaging 15-20 mile days.

03-04-2007, 11:47
First I want to question pack wt.??? what does it matter? I think total wt. on your feet has more revalance. I tried the light trail running shoes, twice, both times I busted out of them. I am a BIG guy putting 275 lbs. on a pair of trail runners has been to much. Going down hill they came apart at the seams and these were nike and NB hi dollar. I bought a pair of sandals, keens, and a pair of neoprere socks, 3mm. I saw where one person carried them but did not use them. Anyone else use neoprene socks, my feet do fit well in the sandals with the 3mm neoprene socks on, and hiking in cold weather 6 miles on FLAT land seemed OK. I should be on the trail but I am home with the flu. Next sat. I am off.

Matteroo
03-31-2007, 00:54
I am trying to figure out the boot/trail runner decision too. Shoe construction for an individual line of shoe is going to be the same materials and sewing, etc, whether size 8 or size 14. If you're a heavy person, in general you're going to be putting a lot more strain on any given shoe. That said, I'm sure if you weigh a lot and have a larger shoe size, your weight to some degree is spread out over the shoe area better than if you're heavy and small footed.

In response to 1234 I too am curious about the neoprene socks. Such as the seal-skin brand. I have heard them mentioned positively in a few journals and such, and have a pair of gloves by them which work great-but they are basically water proof and not breathable, IMO.. but maybe the amount of sweat from a foot is going to be less water in contact with it than buckets coming in from heavy rain? anyone have experience with that kinda sock?

what the hil
04-23-2007, 22:58
I have very narrow, bony feet also- I have found that Garmont makes good hiking boots that dont pinch or slip off

Skits
04-25-2007, 00:38
I am a BIG guy putting 275 lbs. on a pair of trail runners has been to much. Going down hill they came apart at the seams and these were nike and NB hi dollar. I bought a pair of sandals, keens, and a pair of neoprere socks, 3mm.

I hiked virtually all of the AT and PCT in Keens and about half of the CDT in them (I couldn't find them at a couple stores along the CDT so bought shoes instead).

I am also a larger than average thru-hiker and have found Keens to suit me well in most conditions. I've used thin socks in them, but they don't seem to last very long before they wear out. I've been wearing smartwools as they are comfortable and last a much longer time for me. However in slick, icy conditions or deep snow I do not wear Keens as their traction, especially after a few hundreds miles, is not good. In thoses conditions I use have a pair of shoes, trail runners or whatever you like to wear, not necessarily for warmth, but for better traction. Keens are awesome in wet weather as they dry out quickly. And whenever I come to a ford I can just splash right through and my Keens would dry out as I kept on hiking. (Thin socks will dry out, too, with Smartwools you might want to take them off before you cross). Keens tend to last me 7 or 800 miles before I have to get new ones.

I can't imagine hiking for a long distance in boots. But then again I don't like hiking more than 10-15 miles at a time in deep snow. I'm starting the AT again in Feb. of next year so will probably start out in trail runners. When I did the AT in '04 I started with Vasque sundowners, went to New Balance shoes and ended up in Keens after about 300 miles.

gold bond
04-25-2007, 08:25
Something I found out the hard way...did a fifty on the Palmetto trail about 4 years ago. Had a pair of Vasques that I had bought about six months prior. They never ever really felt "right" but I chalked it up to break in. I thought I had done all the "right" things.After the hike....and two feet full of blisters, I had never had a blister, I went back to the outfitter. Turns out that the boot was to narrow.Vasque had started making their boots in China and just because it said 10.5 wide didn't really mean it was. I wound up going to a 11.5 wide and all is well now.
Anyone else ever run into this? I also found out that Vasqu has a sturdy well built trail runner. Doesn't come in wide though! I wear a 11 Wide does any one have any suggestions on a good sturdy trail runner? I usually carry around 25-30 pounds maybe less in the summer.

Photofanatic
04-25-2007, 08:34
Let's try this link for Bones pic:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=3114&c=507

GlazeDog

Just wanted to mention that Bones had boots for "just in case" they are tied to his pack but wouldn't wear them and still wasn't wearing them when we got to NOC. I do wonder when he decided to break them in. Surely he didn't do snowy mountain tops barefooted.

sixhusbands
04-25-2007, 08:42
I am a huge fan of Vasque Sundowner boots. This is not a commercial for that company , rather friendly advice on what boot really works ( i,ve tried several)! You can wear them right out of the box and in any kind of weather. Since I have wide feet, comfort is hard to come by in shoes and boots ( i don,t know why the foot ware makers think of just the narrow widths) and these boots are just the ticket. I have over 800 miles on this pair and the tread is showing some wear but the uppers are in good shape.
They have been through snow, mud, extreme heat and many stream crossings and they are still almost like new.

as for trail runners... remember that the AT is very rocky in some parts , especially Pa. and stone brusies take a lot longer to heal than blisters!

rockrat
04-25-2007, 11:53
I started my thru this year with Goretex Salomon Trail runners, and then got a free pair of new boots from Salomon when those got torn up. The new shoes they sent me though have more ankle support than I'm used to so I've been wearing my Chacos to hike 17+ mile days while the weather has been warm.

babbage
03-06-2008, 17:24
They are required on many sections of trail and you will get a ticket if you are not wearing properly laced boots with good tread. Also, remember that back in '74 there were over 12,000 hikers and one baby that died on the trail in sneakers. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!!!

Ender
03-06-2008, 17:37
Ha! You almost got me with that :) Funny stuff.

brotheral
03-06-2008, 17:42
I thought, maybe, you were trying to break in a pair of Texas Steer work boots :banana:welcome !@!

AlwaysHiking
03-06-2008, 17:45
mssnglnk,

I wear the w/b shoes in winter, when I hope that most of the precip will be frozen. They help keep my feet warm while hiking, and I don't have to worry about stepping through ice into a deep puddle and soaking my feet. I also wear tall gaiters, which helps. For three season use, I wear mesh trail runners, not even vaguely water resistant. When it rains, my feet get wet. When I walk through a creek, or a puddle, my feet get wet. But with wool socks, they stay warm, and the shoes dry out a lot faster than my old boots ever did. Nothing worse than walking in soaking wet boots for a couple of days after the sun comes out.

As for when to make the switch, I can't answer that. I am going back and forth right now about footwear for a March section. On the one hand, the trail will be either frozen, snowy, or muddy. On the other hand, if it warms up some, hiking in w/b trail runners isn't fun. (My feet sweat a lot.)

Hope this helps.

That's exactly what I do. I can't control the fact that my feet are bound to get wet, what I can control is how quickly they will dry out.

Mesh amphib shoes all the way for summer! Light Gortex trail runners in winter, even in snow.

Jason of the Woods
03-06-2008, 18:25
With me the weight of the boots is made up in socks if I wear my low cuts. I am shying away from boots though. The lowcuts dry quickly and I an much more mobile in them. I just carry a lot of socks.;)

Nearly Normal
03-06-2008, 23:23
Are these the first Boots you have ever worn?

I've worn boots for 35 years in a work situation and I have little trouble with them. I know what to expect.

Adding pack weight changes the kind of boot I wear.
There are some that wear like tennis shoes right out of the box. Others need quite a breakin period. Depends on how much I'm carrying as to my choice. A heavier boot can give you more support for heavy loads.
On day hikes with a light pack trail runner types work for me also.
Some outfitters can fit you for your hike/stlye/weight.