PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful view along the AT?

Swiss Roll
02-20-2007, 13:57
I know this is a subjective question and there is no clear-cut answer, but what is your fav? Mine is the Rich Mtn Fire tower outside of Hot Springs, primarily because that's one of the few views I have experienced on my whopping 25 miles of the AT.

shuffle
02-20-2007, 14:17
Mine is on top of Mcafee Knob in VA. Absolutely fantastic!!!!!

mnof1000v
02-20-2007, 14:22
There are so many great views. I really enjoyed Mcafee Knob and the Tinker Cliffs. But I also remember really liking the Northern half of the Smokies.

Footslogger
02-20-2007, 14:22
Too numerous to count ...but one of my favorites was the view from Mt Moosilauke looking northward along the Whites.

'Slogger

Jaybird
02-20-2007, 14:39
I know this is a subjective question and there is no clear-cut answer, but what is your fav? Mine is the Rich Mtn Fire tower outside of Hot Springs, primarily because that's one of the few views I have experienced on my whopping 25 miles of the AT.

mine is the next campsite i'm shooting for!hehehehehehehehe:D

seriously...McAfee Knob is HARD to beat when it comes to scenery!

Ewker
02-20-2007, 14:56
any view is the best until you get to the next one

Gray Blazer
02-20-2007, 15:14
You could hike for days expecting a great view when you get to a certain spot and it will be socked in with clouds/whatever. My son likes being in the deep woods with the streams. I like the mountain tops. Some of my favorite views are places where you can see the ridgetops and mountains that you have hiked over or are about to hike over. Favorite view in NC? Camp Creek Bald. On a clear day you can see the Smokies to the South(West), Mt Mitchell and the Blacks and Roan Mountain to the North(East).

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 15:35
Katahdin from Daicey Pond is pretty nice.

mrc237
02-20-2007, 15:42
Mile 1941 Rt. ME17 walk left (NB) about 1/4 mile to parking area, best sunset imo on the AT

Jim Adams
02-20-2007, 15:53
Summit of LaFayette on a clear day!
geek

Ramble~On
02-20-2007, 15:54
:-?

I'd have to say.......mine is any sign hanging above a restaurant

"ALL YOU CAN EAT AND DRINK, HIKERS WELCOME !"

But since it would be raining snowballs in hell before that would happen..

Favorite View..that's too hard as any given day the lighting, clouds, sky, foliage and so many other factors change.

I'll have to agree with Daicey Pond with Katahdin in the background....in fall with the leaves, early morning light and some mist on the water.

I hear loons.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 15:55
geek

you oughta see it on a clear night. i've camped up there

saimyoji
02-20-2007, 15:59
My wife. :banana

(hope she reads this)

rafe
02-20-2007, 16:03
geek

Ayup, pretty nice. I've walked that ridge more times than any other stretch of AT, bar none. Of course, good weather is hardly guaranteed...

you oughta see it on a clear night. i've camped up there

To hell with the rules, eh? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 16:04
To hell with the rules, eh? :rolleyes:

yeah. pretty much. it's all rock and there's a foundation on top.

weary
02-20-2007, 16:04
geek
Maine has the wildest and prettiest views found on the AT. But my present favorite is the views from the Saddleback ridgeline looking west over Redington and Black Nubble and the seemingly endless mountain ridges all the way to the Boundary Mountains, Kibby and and Canada, a seemingly endless array of wild peaks, wild ponds, and wild forests.

Vast as the view is, only a few dozen people live in that million acres. It truly is a treasure. Nothing comparable exists in the east. It's too bad that we can't seem to find the funds to protect it.

Weary
www.matlt.org

WalkinHome
02-20-2007, 16:30
The view of Katahdin (on a clear day) from the top of Nesuntabunt Mountain overlooking Nahmakanta Lake.

rafe
02-20-2007, 16:34
The view of Katahdin (on a clear day) from the top of Nesuntabunt Mountain overlooking Nahmakanta Lake.

Ayup (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/nahmakanta_lake.html). That too. There are so many beautiful views on the AT, I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite. Plus there are a few hundred miles or so that I haven't seen yet. But then... there are days of unrelenting sheer boredom as well.

superman
02-20-2007, 16:37
I got to a blue blaze about 10:00 AM and decided to take a pack off break. The blue blaze trail was very short and I could see a lake through the trees. I walked down to the lake and took my pack off, got a snicker bar out and my water. I sat down on a rock and looked up. It was the first time I was aware that I was looking at Mt Katahdin. I took out my camera and got a picture of that wonderful view from Pemadumcook Lake. Gee that was swell.

Sir Evan
02-20-2007, 16:38
I'm definitely a fan of McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth in Roanoke, VA. The Priest Mountain summit in Lynchburg, VA, is also a favorite, because it holds sentimental value. The view at the top of Mt. Katahdin in Maine is very impressive.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 17:06
But then... there are days of unrelenting sheer boredom as well.

It can, in places, be one long, boring, green tunnel.

I prefer those places where water, land, and sky come together in certain proportions. I can't tell you exactly what those are, but I know them when I see them.

Vince
02-20-2007, 17:42
[quote=saimyoji;325488]My wife.[quote]

I'll second this.

:p Kidding, kidding!!

Vince
02-20-2007, 17:43
[quote=saimyoji;325488]My wife.

I'll second this.

:p Kidding, kidding!!

moxie
02-20-2007, 19:57
Anyplace above the timberline in NH or Maine can be spectular. From the top of Bigelow is intresting. On a clear day you can see Katahdin as a dot in the distance but to look west to Flagstaff lake and realize before they built the dam after WWll there were villages, houses, churches and yes cemetaries where the lake now is. It you take a blue blaze side trail down to Round Barn you can see where a paved road with a yellow line still visable runs into the lake, This side trail was the AT when Earl Schaffer walked it in 1948, by 1949 the trail was under water. Another great view is from the top of Whitecap. You can see the entire 100 mile wilderness with all it's unspoiled lakes and the view of Katahdin is spectular. I saw another intresting view near dragon's tooth in Virginia when a group of beautiful young girls from Virginia Tech were hiking topless.

TJ aka Teej
02-20-2007, 20:30
Katahdin from Daicey Pond is pretty nice.
Yup, but the AT doesn't go through the campground anymore.

The view from Daicey: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1103&catid=member&imageuser=314

The view from Abol Stream as you enter Baxter (my fav): http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1100&catid=member&imageuser=314

soad
02-20-2007, 20:45
I saw another intresting view near dragon's tooth in Virginia when a group of beautiful young girls from Virginia Tech were hiking topless.

The view of Mt. Lafayette from Lonesome Lake is wonderful but
I'm sure it doesn't compare to V-Tech co-eds.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 21:20
Yup, but the AT doesn't go through the campground anymore.

I didn't know that. Looked up your post at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1295 referencing the reroute, lean-to removal, and thru-hikers no longer being welcomed.

Too bad.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 21:23
I didn't know that. Looked up your post at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1295 referencing the reroute, lean-to removal, and thru-hikers no longer being welcomed.

Too bad.

you got that right. daicey pond sucked. that couple that used to run it caused me to stealth more than once. thier attitudes totally blew

Mags
02-20-2007, 23:00
THe most beautiful view is a weird alchemy of time, place and feel.

The view from Lafayette looking along Franconia Ridge will always be beautiful to me. A long ridge above treeline. It was my first ever hike on a mountain and the view that quite literally changed my life.

The view from Max Patch as the snow lifted for just a brief moment; for the first time in days, actually. The view was expansive. It was also the AT in miniature: No matter how difficult things may be, it always gets better.

Finally, the view from Katahdin on a clear, sunny August day was fantastic. After hiking 2200 miles to get there, the view and experience was only heightened. Not too oddly, it was also my saddest day on the AT.

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2007, 23:12
Seven favorites:

*Looking down the valley from Overmountain Shelter in North Carolina.

*Siler Bald on a good day.

*The view from the summit of Avery Peak, Maine

*The view from Garfield back towards Lafayette Ridge

*Sunset, Max Patch Mountain

*Sunset, Tinker Cliffs, Virginia

*Katahdin, from shore of Pemadumcook Lake

Jim Adams
02-21-2007, 00:07
Seven favorites:

*Looking down the valley from Overmountain Shelter in North Carolina.

*Siler Bald on a good day.

*The view from the summit of Avery Peak, Maine

*The view from Garfield back towards Lafayette Ridge

*Sunset, Max Patch Mountain

*Sunset, Tinker Cliffs, Virginia

*Katahdin, from shore of Pemadumcook Lake

Very nice list Jack!:sun

geek

HappyGoLucky
02-21-2007, 04:23
If I have to pick one, I'll say Franconia Ridge.

Marta
02-21-2007, 07:46
There are some wonderful non-mountain views, too.

Sunset over Sabbath Day Pond:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=169179

And some fantastic waterfalls, which don't tend to show up well in photographs.

Probably, of mountain views, I'd have to vote for Franconia Ridge/Mt. Lafayette...though looking from Max Patch towards the Smokies is mighty fine...

Marta/Five-Leaf

hopefulhiker
02-21-2007, 08:55
I liked the view from Lake of the Clouds. That night I saw the Northern Lights. Never thought I would ever see that!

superman
02-21-2007, 08:55
The picture of Katahdin that I referred to is in these pictures.
http://groups.msn.com/OldGUYthenandnow/shoebox.msnw

DawnTreader
02-21-2007, 11:48
I took the canoe out a white house landing on peadmoncook lake in Maine. I followed the western shore for a couple of miles to an inlet. As I paddled into this small bay, Katahdin opened up in front of me, and it was then I realized how fortunate I was to be out there.. What a view, it loomed so close...

leeki pole
02-21-2007, 11:52
Summit of Katahdin. Also, Rocky Top in GSMNP. :)

TREE-HUGGER
02-21-2007, 12:17
Any where in the Bigelows, Barren Chair Back Range or Houston Ridge in the Roan Highlands.

Grampie
02-21-2007, 18:57
From the dock at Upper Goose Pond as the sun is setting.:sun

WILLIAM HAYES
02-21-2007, 22:18
Rich mt fire tower is nice but I love the views from Max Patch , silers bald, beauty spot come to think of it ftherf are just too many to list Hillbilly