PDA

View Full Version : A few last-minute questions..

mindi
02-20-2007, 14:05
I know a lot of this has probably been covered in other threads, but I'd love if you all would humor me and my racing mind. Probably all pretty silly things but I can't sleep at night for ruminating over them.

1. Packing-Where should certain things be in my pack? Not just the big items, but little things. There seem to be a lot of things that should be easily accessible, but obviously you can't have everything at the top or outside of the pack. How do you all load it up?

2. Alcohol stove-How much fuel do you need on average to cook a trail meal? How long should you wait after lighting it before you stick your pot over it?

3. Lunch ideas! I'm trying to think of some decent quick things to eat for lunch, I tend to get hungry after a couple of hours of hiking even if I've eaten a decent breakfast.

Thanks everyone.
:) Mindi

maxNcathy
02-20-2007, 14:21
Mindi, Ithink I have the answers to your questions but since I am quite new to backpacking I will listen to what veteran hikers have to say. Maybe I can learn more myself.
Sandalwood

MarcnNJ
02-20-2007, 14:23
1) There is no right way....so you will get lots of opinions on this, and will come up with a system of your own...but for me, items that I only used in camp went at the bottom (sleeping bag, clothing bag, dinner and breakfast bag, cook set) and items I might need during the day were up top (filter, snacks/lunch bag, TP, maybe a layer of clothes)

2) Depending on the meal of course, but 1 ounce of alcohol should bring 1L of water to a boil in less than 10 minutes...and I usually just cooked once a day....so to be safe I made sure I had 2 ounces per day till my next resupply....I suggest getting a 12 ounce plastic water bottle (like aquamira), draw all over it so you dont confuse it with your regular water bottle, and always leave town with it full...After lighting your stove, you can start boiling your water right away....

3) You dont know what hungry is....yet....and you wont really get that hiker appetite till somewhere in VA most likely....so make sure to have plenty of snacks on hand....I usually tried for atleast 5 snacks a day....lunch ideas are: tuna in foil, cheese, tortillas, bagels, peanut butter/soynut butter, honey, nutella....basically anything you can spread on bagels or tortillas

SalParadise
02-20-2007, 14:26
a good way to pack is to have your heaviest stuff at the top so the pack sits over your hips and doesn't pull you back as much. also what you use least goes at the bottom. so sleeping bag, tent, clothes, then food, basically. i kept the small things I frequently used in side pockets like camera and my Wingfoot and a snack.

yeah, we all are hungry again after only an hour or two of hiking after a meal. i assure you it only gets worse the longer you're out there. you can look up a lot of different food ideas with a site search. but when you get out there just check out what other hikers are buying and you'll get ideas from them. oftentimes it's more about availability then having a big number of lunch options.

all the best.

jlb2012
02-20-2007, 14:30
1. small things in general I put in my essentials bag (sort of a fanny pack) that goes with me everywhere - small things associated with cooking go into my cooking bag along with my alcohol stove, pot, cozy, fuel and food
2. there is a lot of variability here depending on how you cook, what you cook, and what your stove is like - probably if you don't know then start by guessing about 1 ounce of alcohol per meal - more for longer cooking - less for FBC - you should figure out what you really need fairly quickly
3. lunch for me is really just a series of snacks like granola bars or other stuff I can eat quickly possibly while standing or even walking - generally I start the day with 4 snacks in my pockets and just grab one when I feel the need

Ender
02-20-2007, 14:31
1. Depends on your personal preference, but here's what I always had handy. Top pocket - Toilet paper ('cause when you gotta go, you gotta go), papers (data book, guide, journal), book, compass (on the PCT, didn't use one much on the AT), aspirin, camera, water treatment.
Top of pack - poncho, rain cover, water bladder, Hennessy hammock.

2. Give or take, about an ounce. And I always put my pot over the stove as soon as it was lit. No heat wasted that way.

3. A great high energy lunch I often use is = Flour tortillas, peanut butter, honey. Smear tortillas w/ PB, and then add honey. Fold. Eat (messily). I usually had two for a lunch. Has both instant and lasting energy.

Have a great hike!

Footslogger
02-20-2007, 14:36
[quote=mindi;325422]I know a lot of this has probably been covered in other threads, but I'd love if you all would humor me and my racing mind. Probably all pretty silly things but I can't sleep at night for ruminating over them.

1. Packing-Where should certain things be in my pack? Not just the big items, but little things. There seem to be a lot of things that should be easily accessible, but obviously you can't have everything at the top or outside of the pack. How do you all load it up?

Bottom to Top:

Sleeping Bag, Clothes Bag, Tent, 3/4 ThermRest, Cookpot (contains stove/mug), Food Bag ...and then everything else. Try and pack symetrically. The better is sits the better it carries.

2. Alcohol stove-How much fuel do you need on average to cook a trail meal? How long should you wait after lighting it before you stick your pot over it?

For most meals, 1 oz or so should be enough if you're stove is efficient and you use a wind screen. As soon as the alcohol ignites and you have flame coming from the holes you can put your cookpot on top. If you are rehydrating something it's a good idea to soak it in water inside your cookpot as soon as you get to camp. That will shorten the cooking time and save on fuel.

3. Lunch ideas! I'm trying to think of some decent quick things to eat for lunch, I tend to get hungry after a couple of hours of hiking even if I've eaten a decent breakfast.

About the "easiest" are the premade pnut butter/cheeze or cheeze/wheat crackers. Suppliment with trail mix. Suck down a liter of Gatorade and you're ready to go. I pretty much always hike nowadays with small packets of pnuts, cashews or almonds. You can get em for about $0.50 at the checkouts in grocery stores. Easy to pack, indestructible and full of calories and fats you need when you're burning it faster than you can put it in your mouth. Another good source of quick energy are the "gummi" things and then of course ...there are always SNICKERS !!

'Slogger

mountain squid
02-20-2007, 14:51
1. Hard question to answer. It depends on the configuration of your pack and how often you will use any certain item. For me this is how it works:

current map in cargo pocket
the days snacks in other cargo pocket
hand sanitizer in pocket
lighter in pocket
tp in outside mesh pocket on bp
aqua mira and water dipper in outside mesh pocket on bp
sunscreen/insect repellent in outside mesh pocket on bp
camera in seperate small bag around neck/shoulder
sm radio in hip pocket on bp
I use an umbrella and it is clipped to shoulder harness
whistle also clipped to shoulder harness
Alot of people clip Crocs/Waldies to outside of bp, I put mine on very top of bp with trash (candy wrappers, etc in used freezer bag)
Definitely keep trash handy, you'll want to get rid of it at every opportunity...

A few ideas. The big thing to remember is that where ever you put something, ALWAYS put it in the same place. Easier to keep track of everything that way...

2. I carry a 20oz soda bottle and always top off when I can. I usually use 5-6 capfuls for 1-2 cups of water. You'll figure it out as you go.

My stove has side holes and as soon as the flames come out of them, I can place my pot on top. With a primer pan, it is almost immediately. Otherwise, you can use your shelter stakes as a pot stand, criss crossed over your wind screen.

3. Peanut butter on tortillas/bagels. Trail mix. Jerky. Tuna pkts with crackers. Candy bars (this is one time you can really indulge yourself). I usually have at least one energy bar per day, as well.

Anyway, Good Luck and see you on the trail,
mt squid

Spirit Walker
02-20-2007, 18:00

Partly it depends on your pack - what kind of pockets do you have and where? When I have a top pocket, I put maps, first aid kit, toothbrush and snacks up top. When I don't have a top pocket, I wear a fanny pack with maps and snacks at hand. I keep the water filter and pack cover in an outside pocket, along with rope to hang food and the first aid kit if I don't have a top pocket. I sometimes keep a rain jacket there if I'm expecting rain. Otherwise, I pretty much put my things in in reverse order of need - sleeping bag on the bottom, then tent, then clothes, then food. Rain jacket and/or warm jacket goes on top so I can get them quickly.

Breakfast is less than an ounce, dinner about an ounce and a half. I put the pot on as soon as it is lit.

Lunch and snacks for me are different. We usually eat breakfast at 7 or so, then two or three hours later we eat a granola bar or pop tart or some gorp, lunch is anywhere from 11-1:00 - and that is usually a sandwich plus cookies, dried fruit, chocolate and a quart of Kool aid, mid-afternoon we eat another snack (granola bar or pop tart or chocolate bar) then dinner a few hours later. Basically we eat every five miles or so.

[/QUOTE]

rafe
02-20-2007, 18:14
Packing: things you need only at camp go towards the bottom of the pack; things you need more often (food, water, rain gear) go towards the top.
Alcohol: better to carry a bit too much at first. I find I need about an ounce (by weight) to boil two cups of water. More when it's windy out.
Lunch ideas: whatever works for you and whatever you can get your hands on, and whatever you're willing to schlep. It's completely subjective. Cheese and sausage (eg. salami, pepperoni, summer sausage) are sure bets.

max patch
02-20-2007, 18:17
I ate the same thing for lunch every day when in the woods.

PBJ on bagel. Hunk of cheddar cheese. And whatever I had for snacks that week; usually gorp, occasionally pringles.

bigcranky
02-20-2007, 22:22
t_too is right, you'll get it nailed down within the first week or two. Don't stress about it. The only suggestion I would make is to keep things reasonably organized -- it sucks to have to dump out your entire pack to find the one little thing you need.

For lunches I like pepperoni and cheese sticks in tortillas, tuna packets with mayo (little mayo packets) in tortillas, dried hummous in tortillas, peanut butter in tortillas, that sort of thing.

4eyedbuzzard
02-20-2007, 22:47
Alcohol: better to carry a bit too much at first. I find I need about an ounce (by weight) to boil two cups of water. More when it's windy out.

I'll second that. Better to have a bit too much fuel, especially in cold weather for an extra cup or two of tea/coffee/cocoa each day, or in case you lose a day due to a snow/ice storm. The same goes for food. If you try to cut it too close, especially early in the hike when weather can slow you up or stop you, you'll be wishing you carried that extra pound or two of food and fuel. Every few years early-starters get slammed by snow or ice storms in the southern Appalachians especially in GSMNP.

mindi
02-20-2007, 23:46
Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! I feel a lot more confident now.

Knees
02-21-2007, 02:32

The key is to find what works for you. This isn't everything, but it gives a pretty good picture of my system.

From bottom to top:
Line the pack with a trash compactor bag
Dirty socks, town clothes (spare hiking shorts), etc.
Sleeping Bag (stuff sack is stored in a second trash compactor bag)
Clothing stuff sack
Roll the compactor bag shut
------
Food, fuel, and mess kit on top of compactor bag

My rain jacket rides under the lid for easy access
My sleeping pad (foam) is strapped to the outside of the pack

Outside pockets:
Tent
Tent pole
Water bottles
Bear line

Outside hanging:
Crocs on a 'biner.

Hipbelt:
The days guidebook pages in a baggie for easy ref.
Whistle, Knife, and LED keychain flashlight
Camera if not taking SLR (If SLR, I run the strap under my load lifters, so it's always at the ready.)
Snacks in a baggie so I don't have to stop (don't do this overnight)

Lid:
First aid kit, Compass, Drugs (ibuprofen, Benadryl, Imodium), Guide books/maps, Journal, Postcards, Envelope, Headlamp, and Film/mailers if I'm not shooting digital

I figure an ounce of fuel per burn. As soon as it's fully lit. I hold my pot just over the stove until everything is burning (a few seconds),

Bagels, Tortillas, etc.
Peanut butter, Nutella, etc.
Cheese
Wraps
Non-vegetarians like those foil packets of meat
Non-vegetarians will take cold cuts for a day or two
Some people like to cook for lunch and not dinner
Some people skip lunch or just treat it like a snack.
Instant drinks (chai latte, instant breakfast, etc.) add calories to meals.
Snack foods (GORP, M&Ms, etc.)

hammock engineer
02-21-2007, 02:40
One thought. I am a big fan of taking 3 or 4 eating breaks through the day instead of a big lunch one. Just what works for me. I usually take a lot of breaks anyways. I feel better hiking when I am not hungry, but not full either. A lot of snacking does the trick.

hopefulhiker
02-21-2007, 05:12
I carried just an 8 oz shampoo bottle with a flip lid. I used Sgt Rock's Ion stove.

For lunch I carried a vairety of homemade trail mix, candy bars, and dehydrated fruit and beef jerky for my snacks. I really did not have a lunch, more like four big snacks during the day. Sometimes coming out of town I would carry bagels and a block of cheese.

Jaybird
02-21-2007, 06:43
...and don't forget to take dried fruit...like apricots...for you & the ponies on Mt.Rogers.......Right H.H.????:D

Marta
02-21-2007, 07:34

*The organizing principle for me is that anything I might need during the day goes on the outside of the pack and anything I won't need until evening goes inside.*

*I used a Sprite bottle for alcohol, and clear soda bottles for water. Sprite bottles have a different shape, too. By the time you reach Neel's Gap you'll know roughly how much alcohol you'll need for a day. Just start your hike with a full bottle. I carry a medicine measuring cup to measure out alcohol into the stove. Practice with it at home before you leave so you know how quickly you can put the pot on the stove.*

*I don't eat "lunch." I stop and eat every two hours, usually energy bars and/or candy, and nuts. I make sure I've had at least 28 g. of protein for breakfast and supper. It worked for me, sort of--I didn't lose any weight on the Hike, and had very few episodes of "bonking," i.e., running out of energy.*

Good luck, and have a great hike!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Sly
02-21-2007, 11:15
2) Depending on the meal of course, but 1 ounce of alcohol should bring 1L of water to a boil in less than 10 minutes...and I usually just cooked once a day....so to be safe I made sure I had 2 ounces per day till my next resupply....

Which alcohol stove uses one ounce to boil 1L of water?

MarcnNJ
02-21-2007, 11:23
Brasslite....

TurkeyBacon
02-21-2007, 12:40
I aggree with eveyone else here.
I used a 500 ml nalgene, filled it up everytime and never got close to running out. Presoak meals when you set up camp. It will help save fuel.
Lunches... Granola bars, more granola bars, gorp with soynuts for protien, tortillas, cheese, summer sausage. Quesadilla's are real easy to make on the trail with a tort, some cheese and butter.
TB

Lyle
02-21-2007, 13:15
One of the advantages of a frame pack is all the pockets available for organizing. In an internal frame pack or frameless pack, use various color coded stuff sacks or ziplocks to keep similar items together. Examples:

All first aid/hygene items go into one stuff sack. Kinda like my medicine cabinet at home. (exception is hand sanitizer, which lives with TP and insect repellent which lives alone in a ziplock in an outside pocket)

All cooking/eating items live with the stove. Fuel stays in an outside pocket on the off chance of a leak.

All repair items/spares/cord goes in the Hardware Store stuff sack.

Today's lunch items and snacks have their own room (ziplock) inside the food bag. Makes it easy to pull them out at lunch time.

Guides, pen, paper, etc. go into the Office ziplock.

I think this is what you were interested in when you asked about packing the small items. The house analogy came from Colin Fletcher and has always made sense to me. As others have said, you will develop your own system, one that makes sense to you.

Just be sure, that you find a permanent "home" for every item and always return it there. Then you will always know where to find it, or in an emergency, can tell someone else where to find it. This will save you endless time and frustration hunting.

Have fun!

Lyle

Ronin
02-21-2007, 14:22
One thought. I am a big fan of taking 3 or 4 eating breaks through the day instead of a big lunch one. Just what works for me. I usually take a lot of breaks anyways. I feel better hiking when I am not hungry, but not full either. A lot of snacking does the trick.

This type of eating is much better at maintaining a steady metabolism rate and can prevent "sugar crashes". Just remeber to listen to your body. Cheers!