PDA

View Full Version : Mojave Desert Backpacking trip (PICS)

Bear the Dog
02-20-2007, 16:19
Just got back from the desert this past weekend. We did an overnight 16 mi. hike in the mojave national preserve. Weather was perfect 75F low of 50F. Meaning we got it all. Clear sunny skies, wind, rain and some snow. We saw about 30 black tail jackrabbits and maybe 15 cows/bulls and just one coyote.

As far as the sights go there was a solitude that goes with the desert. The trail was burned over from recent fires and the trail blended with the 101 many washes so finding the trail felt like easter egg hunting for dirt. We were looking for a canyon called rings canyon. It was at the hole in the wall campground. It is a canyon of volcanic rocks with thousands of holes in the rock. It must be climbed out with some metal rings in the rocks to help. We also got to see some indian carvings on the rocks the next day. Mitchel Caverns was done on the way out. I will get to that later since there are so many pictures.

Bear the Dog
02-20-2007, 16:22
more photos of me and the canyon with some gear

Bear the Dog
02-20-2007, 16:25
my friend and some rocks in the rings canyon at hole in the wall

rswanson
02-20-2007, 16:28
Great pics! I love hiking in the Southwest. What were you carrying and would you have made any changes?

Bear the Dog
02-20-2007, 16:33
fanatic fringe thompson peak no side pockets or compression straps
integral designs poncho tarp
mountain laural superlight bivy
fanatic fringe quilt
gossamer gear torso lite

granite gear vapor trail pack
equinox poncho tarp
adventures medical kit bivy
slumberjack sleeping bag
wally blue pad torso

Bear the Dog
02-20-2007, 16:35
thanks and no changes really i was warm and comfortable i used my pack onder my legs and my shoes as a pillow

Bear the Dog
02-20-2007, 16:46
indian carvings

Bear the Dog
02-20-2007, 16:53
a few more

jesse
02-20-2007, 17:55
great pics. What about water? Were there spings where you could drink from, or did you have to carry it all?

Bear the Dog
02-20-2007, 18:20
Water. I always camel up before a hike with a 32 oz. gatorade. Then I fill my platty with 2 liters. There was water at the end of the trail which is 8 mi. before you can fill up for the way back. There were these old style pumps and I use a press to pure canteen water filter 5oz. to gather the water then pump it into the platty.