PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Mail Warning

Boat Drinks
02-20-2007, 17:31
:mad: I will NEVER deal with Pocket Mail again. Their CR department is rude, and incompetent. They double charged my card for one device and 6 months of service. They refused to acknowledge that this occurred. The CSR was a rude Aussie chick, I asked for all transactions to be CANCELED and my chargeS reversed. She said this would happen, but refused to give me a confirmation or credit number, said they would e-mail it to me, it never happened. The order went through, the refund never occurred, now UPS is delivering the device. I called back, got put on hold for NO KIDDING 45 min. ANd GOT THE SAME RUDE AUSSIE CHICK. When I voiced my dissatisfaction over the device being sent out anyway, she became angry and more rude and would NOT CONNECT ME WITH A MANAGER. SHOCKER. She would not give me her name nor a manager's name but took my number and said she would have .someone call me back.... I'll be sure to hold my breath.

Pocket Mail at this point is a Bush League Operation with Piss Poor CS.
So I know many of you use or were planning to use this service. Good luck, I hope you don't EVER need to deal with the CS Dept. If their server goes down and you lose your journal or e-mails, bless your hearts, but don't say you weren't warned!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

max patch
02-20-2007, 18:13
Dispute the charge in writing with your CC company. Info on how to do so will be on your statement.

Boat Drinks
02-20-2007, 18:26
Oh, I'm way ahead of you there brother....:D

Mags
02-20-2007, 19:06
Pocketmail, as a technology, is pretty good for hikers. Simple,. rugged, does what it is supposed to do.

(I just gave back the Pocketmail that has been on the PCT, CDTx3 and about to go on the PCT again!)

But, I've heard because it is old technology that is being quickly made obsolete by widespread WiFi and cell technology, Pocketmail is taking a HUGE financial hit.

I can't see Pocketmail being around much longer as a viable company. Too bad..there is nothing like it that fits the niche of people who wander in places without widespread WiFi/cell technology.

So, yeah..buyer beware.

There are enough geeks in the hiker community that I suspect some "wicked smaht hikah" will cobble together a server that will work with pocketmail once the PM company goes belly-up.

But, that is just a guess.

Sly
02-20-2007, 19:09
Normally you're not charged until the item ships. Are you sure one "charge" wasn't just an authorization? I see that on my Paypal balance all the time. It looks like I'm getting charged double, but I'm not.

Pacific Tortuga
02-20-2007, 19:29
I was afraid a report came out saying they caused cancer, so this news is just a heads up, thanks.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2007, 19:55
y'all don't need no stinkin' gadgets in the woods anyhow

Sly
02-20-2007, 20:27
y'all don't need no stinkin' gadgets in the woods anyhow

No one gives a **** if you carry 50 lbs of crap! HYOH! :p

If you're journaling to post on the web, it's easier than a pen and paper and/or you can reach more friends and family at once rather than calling them all on the phone individually.

Smile
02-20-2007, 20:32
Writing by hand is pretty therapeutic too, but I did haul a heavy pocketmail with me last year.

You can always do a chargeback, if they double charged, you'll win.

Sly
02-20-2007, 20:40
Hiking isn't therapeutic enough in itself?

hammock engineer
02-21-2007, 01:10
On the old technology. Yes it is. But only in the modem. It uses very old school audio tones to communicate. Slow as could be, but very useful when you only want to use a phone.

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 12:43
Normally you're not charged until the item ships. Are you sure one "charge" wasn't just an authorization? I see that on my Paypal balance all the time. It looks like I'm getting charged double, but I'm not.

It was 2 charges, they backed one out and put the other one through AFTER I asked them to cancel the whole Shebang. The CSR when explaining how the order went through and shipped said this: " I don't know how it went through, whether it was me or someone else."
"Let me speak to your supervisor"
"There is no one available."
Let me have your name and your supervisors name."
No, give me your phone number and I'll have him ring you."

I can not believe the gall of these people.

By the way, I called back and got the same chick for the 3rd time! Do they only have one CSR?????????????????
AND, no "Ring" back from the Supervisor.

Sly
02-21-2007, 12:58
I had a problem with them a few year back. A few months after I finished the PCT and was down to my last $150 or so they automatically re-upped my yearly subscription and left me broke. It took awhile to straighten it out with my bank/debit card.

I still used the pocketmail as my address book but shortly after the screen went bad and it was too difficult to read. Surprisingly, it still turns on, and I can enter my password, bring up old emails ect with the batteries being 6 years old!

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 13:02
I called back, got a second CSR with a better 'tude, and she promptly connected me to a supervisor, Ernest. Ernest had obviously been "briefed" on my situation and he knew what was coming. He profusely apologized for the CSR's attitude and for the item being shipped after I had canceled it. I have to refuse the delivery and wait for it to be received back by PM and then they will process the refund.
So, I feel better.

Sly
02-21-2007, 13:13
So, you won't be using pocketmail?

Footslogger
02-21-2007, 13:18
Guess this is the type of fun I have to look forward to ...

Wife and I each bought a new Composer a while back off of eBay but haven't activated service yet.

Who knows ...by the time I actually go to use it the whole PocketMail program might be defunct.

'Slogger

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 13:53
So, you won't be using pocketmail?

ROFLMAO, I needed that Sly, gracias! :D

(smart ass)

Sly
02-21-2007, 14:32
LOL....

Johnny, will you be using any other form of electronic communication or going back to paper and pen?

I'm considering doing a journal and have another older, but unused JVC pocketmail device, that someone gave me for journaling, but I'm not looking forward to another bill. Unfortunately, this one has never been activated, otherwise, I could store a bunch of journal entries and then activate it halfway through my hike saving money.

I looked at some of the smart cellphones with a querty keyboard, but they're too expensive. Maybe I'll just go back to the old ways and try and find a transcriber.

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 14:44
LOL....

Johnny, will you be using any other form of electronic communication or going back to paper and pen?

I'm considering doing a journal and have another older, but unused JVC pocketmail device, that someone gave me for journaling, but I'm not looking forward to another bill. Unfortunately, this one has never been activated, otherwise, I could store a bunch of journal entries and then activate it halfway through my hike saving money.

I looked at some of the smart cellphones with a querty keyboard, but they're too expensive. Maybe I'll just go back to the old ways and try and find a transcriber.

Yeah, I had my sister in VA lined up to transcribe for me, I was figuring I would save her the hassle of trying to read my chicken scratch with PocketPunk service. BUT..... She is more than happy to do it for me, so back to pen and paper... Plus, I got really fat fingers and have issues typing on a real keyboard so....:rolleyes:

hammock engineer
02-21-2007, 14:54
I have a cell phone with a full keyboard. One thing to consider is that most of them do not have an internal program to write text in. You need to either send text messages or have a digital connection and compose emails. Not something I think I can do everyday while hiking.

the_iceman
02-21-2007, 14:58
I have an IT consulting business and it seemed everyone (until now) loved Pocketmail so I filled out the form to become a dealer. It would save me $50 on the unit and service. I filled out the form 3 times now and called twice and keep getting the answer that someone will call me back. I asked when? Within the hour they said. That was a week ago. No response from the emails or the phone calls.

If you need support look for another product.

Footslogger
02-21-2007, 15:02
Question for those more experienced than I ...

What is the relationship between the actual "device" called the PocketMail Composer and the outfit running the server and providing support ?? (I'm using the term "providing" loosely here)

'Slogger

Lyle
02-21-2007, 15:21
If you have someone transcribing for you, how about just using one of the cheaper Palms with an SD card? Mine came with Documents-to-Go which will save in Microsoft Word format, but all of them have a notes feature. Save your journal to the SD card and rotate these with your transcriber. Will keep your transcriber from having to decipher your writing, and they can just upload via their home connection. Can get a cheap Palm for about $100. Guess you would loose the email function.

Sly
02-21-2007, 15:34
I have a cell phone with a full keyboard. One thing to consider is that most of them do not have an internal program to write text in. You need to either send text messages or have a digital connection and compose emails. Not something I think I can do everyday while hiking.

That's a question I've been meaning to ask, but reading your post it appears, no. Do the smartphones such as the LG enV has email storage capability where you can store a message prior to sending? Otherwise, they don't seem very effective for journaling.

Not up on the Treo's or Palm's but if you can store your entries on a SD card they may work. Palm's with the backflip also work with Pocketmail, or did at one time. i just can't see tapping out an entry with a tining little pointer one letter at a time.

Sly
02-21-2007, 15:38
Question for those more experienced than I ...

What is the relationship between the actual "device" called the PocketMail Composer and the outfit running the server and providing support ?? (I'm using the term "providing" loosely here)

'Slogger

The PM Composer device itself is most likely made by someone else. You can also use Sharp TM-20's and JVC's but I don't think they're made any longer. "Pocketmail" is the service provider.

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 15:42
If you have someone transcribing for you, how about just using one of the cheaper Palms with an SD card? Mine came with Documents-to-Go which will save in Microsoft Word format, but all of them have a notes feature. Save your journal to the SD card and rotate these with your transcriber. Will keep your transcriber from having to decipher your writing, and they can just upload via their home connection. Can get a cheap Palm for about $100. Guess you would loose the email function.

well, wouldn't you have to type with the stylus? That would really suck!

Sly
02-21-2007, 15:42
I have an IT consulting business and it seemed everyone (until now) loved Pocketmail so I filled out the form to become a dealer. It would save me $50 on the unit and service. I filled out the form 3 times now and called twice and keep getting the answer that someone will call me back. I asked when? Within the hour they said. That was a week ago. No response from the emails or the phone calls.

If you need support look for another product.

It seems any joe smoe could run the service better than they're doing. I wouldn't think it takes all that much.

Sly
02-21-2007, 15:43

Yeah, I got quite good at the two thumbed method with PM.

rswanson
02-21-2007, 15:49
I think the moral of this story is not to trust Aussies.

I'm joking of course.

Lyle
02-21-2007, 15:52

Some folks get pretty good at using the handwriting recognition, so can just write with the stylus. If you can't master that, they make folding keyboards (close to full size) that work well, but then you have another item and a bit more weight. They are quite compact when folded tho'.

Obviously, pocketmail is preferred, just suggesting this as an alternative to make it easier for a transcriber.

Lyle

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 16:27
Some folks get pretty good at using the handwriting recognition, so can just write with the stylus. If you can't master that, they make folding keyboards (close to full size) that work well, but then you have another item and a bit more weight. They are quite compact when folded tho'.

Obviously, pocketmail is preferred, just suggesting this as an alternative to make it easier for a transcriber.

Lyle

Sure! Thanks for the info! :D I forgot that you can get the handwriting recog. to translate for you, I may look into that...

cbabs
02-21-2007, 19:39
The general notion here is that Pocketmail CS is sub-par at best. My question is how well does it work? Their website says you can dial in with a cell phone, but has anyone run into problems with dialing in?

Boat Drinks
02-21-2007, 19:58
I know that with many cell phones, you have to manually switch your phone from digital to analog.... Thats about as far as I got.

Mags
02-21-2007, 20:09
The general notion here is that Pocketmail CS is sub-par at best. My question is how well does it work? Their website says you can dial in with a cell phone, but has anyone run into problems with dialing in?

It works with analog cell phones. What makes it so great for hikers (esp on the more remot trails) is that it works with just about any land line. Easy to find a pay phone or traditional land line. Harder to find a cell signal in many places outside the busy metro areas.

Frosty
02-21-2007, 21:26
It works with analog cell phones. What makes it so great for hikers (esp on the more remot trails) is that it works with just about any land line. Easy to find a pay phone or traditional land line. Harder to find a cell signal in many places outside the busy metro areas.In the old days, maybe. It is getting less and less easy to find payphones. All motels used to have banks of them, every gas station would have one. Not anymore. The phone companies are taking them out of service right and left.

In Aug 2006, there were 1.3 million pay phones in the country. As pay phones are removed, the total number drops 10% to 12% per year.

http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17020238&BRD=2185&PAG=461&dept_id=581839&rfi=6

Today, there are an estimated 217 million cell phone owners, and the market is growing by 16 percent annually, according to the FCC.

A pay phone costs about $45 to $50 monthly to operate. That includes maintenance, paying coin collectors and the cost of the phone line. For Verizon, that equates to 150 calls per phone each month, Ms. Shaffer said. If less than 150 calls are made monthly, Verizon shuts down a phone.

Mags
02-21-2007, 21:43
In the old days, maybe. It is getting less and less easy to find payphones.

Maybe in the AT corridor, but in the small, little towns along the PCT and CDT, there are still payphones. Leadore, ID (Population 70!) had one. Where payphones aren't common, I assume they'll still have landlines ( a motel for example)

And, no matter how you dice it, landlines (and payphones) are much more common than cell technology outside major metro areas.

A cell phone based technology seems to be reasonably viable on the AT. On the Western trails? Fughedabouditt.
Which is where Pocketmail really works well.

But, as mentioned, PM is taking huge financial hits. (For many of the reasons you cited: Cell phone coverage IS exapnding astronomically) How long will PM be a viable company?

Knees
02-21-2007, 21:49
In the old days, maybe. It is getting less and less easy to find payphones. All motels used to have banks of them, every gas station would have one. Not anymore. The phone companies are taking them out of service right and left.

OK, so they're not on every street corner. However, I never had any problems finding a phone to call home on either the AT or the PCT. It's really not that big of a deal.

I journal by hand, so I have no direct experience with pocketmail. In talking with others on trail about the devices. In general they seem to work well for what they do. It sounds like the battery lasts for quite a while.

A fair number of people do seem to have killed at least one of the things. Thru hiking is rough on equipment, so this doesn't mean the devices are bad. I've killed a few cameras on my hikes...

fonsie
02-21-2007, 22:22
I keep up with alot of stuff, but never herd of pocket mail. It must be a dying technoligy.

Frosty
02-21-2007, 22:45
[QUOTE=Knees;326445]OK, so they're not on every street corner. However, I never had any problems finding a phone to call home on either the AT or the PCT. It's really not that big of a deal.[QUOTE]And it isn't. I didn't say they were hard to find, only getting less and less easy.

Some communities have tried legal action to keep pay phones in place, but the fact is that numbers are diminishing every year. And the better coverage cells get, and the more people that get cell phones, the less pay phones will be around.

Right now the wide open spaces of the west is fairly cell free, as Mags points out. But only a short few years ago, so was most of the east coast, too. You could only get cell coverage in major cities. Suburbs had nothing. Now any town of decent size in the east has coverage.

All that is lacking is a technology breakthrough for wider coverage or to bring sat phones down in price, or a better signal propagator. Then cells will be the norm, if they aren't already.

I'm a friggin' dinosaur myself, an analog guy in a digital world, but I got rid of my land line home phone a year ago. Never used it after my wife and I got cell phones.

But I still have my calling card number memorized and (hopefully) it is still valid. I may need it sometime.

Knees
02-22-2007, 00:17
Some communities have tried legal action to keep pay phones in place, but the fact is that numbers are diminishing every year. And the better coverage cells get, and the more people that get cell phones, the less pay phones will be around.

We are talking about hiking on the major trails here, right? If that's the case, I had no problems along the entire trail in 2005, I had no problems from GA->Erwin in 2006, and I had no problems out West on the PCT.

Has anybody actually had a problem finding phones to use along the AT?

Sly
02-22-2007, 00:40
Has anybody actually had a problem finding phones to use along the AT?

Not really. I don't know if it's still there but there was a pay phone in Maryland in the middle of nowhere! Besides, you don't need to use a pay phone for Pocketmail, any land line will do.

Sly
02-22-2007, 00:47
How long will PM be a viable company?

I'm probably one of the least computer literate here, but since it's "old technology" how much is possibly needed to keep the service going software/hardware wise?

Mags
02-22-2007, 01:52
I'm probably one of the least computer literate here, but since it's "old technology" how much is possibly needed to keep the service going software/hardware wise?

Theoretically, somone could build a dial-up e-mail server to be used with PM. Just a matter if
a)somone wants to put the time in to get it working with PM devices
b) legal issues

Sly
02-22-2007, 02:00
I hate b. :mad: I think I'm allergic. :(

Socrates
02-22-2007, 02:47
The CSR was a rude Aussie chick

Want me to call up there and harass her? haha What's the number?! Nothing worse than rude customer service!

Sly
02-22-2007, 02:50
Nothing worse than rude customer service!

Sure there is, rude customers! :p

Socrates
02-22-2007, 03:04
Sure there is, rude customers! :p

Actually if it's their money, I don't mind people getting pissed. So when it's MY money, back up and give me room! haha

Footslogger
02-22-2007, 09:39
Theoretically, somone could build a dial-up e-mail server to be used with PM. Just a matter if
a)somone wants to put the time in to get it working with PM devices
b) legal issues

====================================

I'm thinking there must be some fairly sizeable and costly obstacles to getting a service like this up and running ...and maintained. Otherwise by now it seems like there would be other alternatives, old technology or not.

That was part of what was behind my earlier question regarding the relationship between the device (Composer from Oregon Scientific) and the PocketMail outfit. It would seem like the whole PocketMail service is somewhat analagous to contract internet service. Depending on where you live there are generally choices as to the service provider.

Wouldn't it be great if there was competition for service providers with regard to PocketMail access and use ??

'Slogger

the_iceman
02-22-2007, 11:38
It works with analog cell phones. What makes it so great for hikers (esp on the more remot trails) is that it works with just about any land line. Easy to find a pay phone or traditional land line. Harder to find a cell signal in many places outside the busy metro areas.

Does PM not work with Digital cell phones? Has anyone used it with a Razr?

Sly
02-22-2007, 11:46

Depends on your cell phone service....

http://www.pocketmail.com/us/customers/cellphones/

saimyoji
02-22-2007, 11:49

Why would you use PM if you had a digital cell phone? :-?
Just activate the text messaging function and you're good to go.

saimyoji
02-22-2007, 11:49

It would work the same as PM: compose your text(s) save, then transmit when you get a clear signal...every couple of days or so.

Boat Drinks
02-22-2007, 12:06

Maybe cause its a huge pain in the ass to type via text messaging, especially long journal entries???:-?

saimyoji
02-22-2007, 12:16
Maybe cause its a huge pain in the ass to type via text messaging, especially long journal entries???:-?

Well, PM uses two thumbs, no? Cell phone uses only one, so there's additional weight savings (leave your other thumb at home :eek: ).

Seriously though, having used a cell phone for texting for years, its not that big a deal. If it is, don't use one, just a suggestion coming from personal experience. :)

Boat Drinks
02-22-2007, 12:30
Well, PM uses two thumbs, no? Cell phone uses only one, so there's additional weight savings (leave your other thumb at home :eek: ).

Seriously though, having used a cell phone for texting for years, its not that big a deal. If it is, don't use one, just a suggestion coming from personal experience. :)
Yeah, I understand how it works, I just hate having to press "7" four times to get "s" you know? Hell, a 2 sentence text message takes me 35-45 minutes... :D With PM at least one key stroke = one letter.... But after what I know now, I'll never know if PM is faster or better at all will I???:D

the_iceman
02-22-2007, 13:09

Because I would want to send my journals that I had typed and stored on my PM and respond to emails. Cell phone coverage is spotty at best on the southern part of hte trail and in Maine.

the_iceman
02-22-2007, 13:13
Depends on your cell phone service....

http://www.pocketmail.com/us/customers/cellphones/

Thanks Sly. It appears that digital GSM is fine with the composer it is the Sharp that has issues with digital.

Boat Drinks
02-22-2007, 13:17
Thanks Sly. It appears that digital GSM is fine with the composer it is the Sharp that has issues with digital.
I know that if you use Verizon, you have to switch to analog...

Johnny Swank
02-22-2007, 18:47
We had hit or miss luck with using Motorola cell phones (Cingular service). YMMV. Most of the time I'd just use a landline somewhere.

Sly
02-22-2007, 19:38
I know that if you use Verizon, you have to switch to analog...

How do you switch to analog? :confused:

Boat Drinks
02-22-2007, 20:13
How do you switch to analog? :confused:
You can go in under tools or settings and do it there, Its a hassle.