PDA

View Full Version : pack

jettjames
02-20-2007, 17:50
I have a Kelty Illusion 3500 cui light wieght pack. weighs just over 3lbs.

is that about the size I might need for a thru hike?

good pack?

pt

stuco
02-20-2007, 18:16
Sure that will work fine if it is comfortable for you.

mountain squid
02-20-2007, 18:22
It all depends on the rest of your gear. If you have a Wal-Mart sleeping bag that weighs 4.5 pounds and does not compress at all, you will probably run out of space quickly. Same thing with your shelter - if it is heavy and bulky - well, you get the picture...

Also, how much weight is it designed to carry? You don't want to put 45# of stuff in a backpack geared to only hold 30#.

If you can get all of your gear in it and it is comfortable for you, then it should be fine.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Footslogger
02-20-2007, 18:24
Agree with what has already been said. 3500 should be plenty big enough. The real issue is ...will all your stuff fit inside.

'Slogger

jettjames
02-20-2007, 18:30
sweet! thanks everyone. It is comfortable for me and it can hold up to 35lbs. more than enough for my stuff and the extras.
I have a nice 35 degree snythetic REI bag and a zoid 2 tent with footprint. a bit big but only 1lb over the zoid 1 and to be honest, i like a little more room. jet boil stove. etc etc etc.

pt

stuco
02-20-2007, 18:35
Kelty illusion is 3lbs 7oz

jettjames
02-20-2007, 18:52
ok just under 3 and 1/2 lbs. my bad. sorry

Two Speed
02-20-2007, 19:00
Just took a Kelty Whisper out for a weekender. The Whisper is the Illusion's "little brother." Worked out great, and looks like becoming my "go to" pack for general hiking. BTW, Mountainsmith has two packs, the AT 55 and PCT 45 that are in the same volume range, and look pretty good, too.

My only gripe with the Kelty packs is they're a little busy for my taste. Too many bells and whistles, but that's what razor blades are made for. ;)

mountain squid
02-20-2007, 19:03
Looking at the pack at Kelty.com, is it possible to remove the lid? Removing a backpacks lid is a good way to reduce overall pack weight. It might also help prevent the packing of unnecessary items.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

stuco
02-20-2007, 19:15
ok just under 3 and 1/2 lbs. my bad. sorry

Sorry, just looked at the pack on the website and thought you'd like to know. I agree, you could cut down the weight if you wanted by cutting a pocket or two and removing the lid. That's if you become a gram counter like a lot of folks around here. Myself included

jettjames
02-20-2007, 20:02
np stuco, was just joshing back at ya. I hope that I don't become a gram counter. I of course don't want to carry any more than I have to or want to, but also know that , FOR ME, a few ounces won't make or break my trip. Of course when it is one or two extra ounces on each piece, I know that it quickly adds up and do watch my weight.

of course all this is subject to change after 5 days on the trail! lol

twospeed, i do like the mnt. smith packs too but i have and am used to the kelty. if it falls apart or kills my back i may be looking for a new one.

pt

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-20-2007, 21:12
Don't forget to allow enough space for your food bag. I remember several occassions where I had trouble stuffing my foodbag into my pack (similar size to yours). Especially towards the end (in the north for me) when your appetite is huge & you may tend to do longer sections between resupply.

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Moonshine
03-29-2007, 22:34
i bought a kelty illusion earlier this week, this thread helped a lot in easing my mind about whether or not i made a good choice.