PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the Suunto X6 Alt. Watch

dscostu
02-20-2007, 19:25
I am thinking about buying the Suunto X6. Any thoughts or better ideas??

Sly
02-20-2007, 19:51
You don't really need an altimeter on the AT, but if you're looking to spend money you may want to considered a Garmin Vista Cx? It's not only a GPS but has a barometric altimeter and an electronic compass too. Cheaper than the Suunto on Amazon.

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistacx/

The Old Fhart
02-20-2007, 22:54
Sly-"You don't really need an altimeter on the AT, but if you're looking to spend money you may want to considered a Garmin Vista Cx?"The big problem with GPS units is they are energy hogs and if left on a set of batteries might last 12 hours. I wear a Casio altimeter watch that has loads of other features and cost under $50 new on ebay.

Sly
02-20-2007, 23:01
The big problem with GPS units is they are energy hogs and if left on a set of batteries might last 12 hours. I wear a Casio altimeter watch that has loads of other features and cost under $50 new on ebay.

That's true, and as much as an altimeter isn't really needed on the AT, a GPS may be less so. Toys for adults!

Pacific Tortuga
02-20-2007, 23:16
I am thinking about buying the Suunto X6. Any thoughts or better ideas??

I just bought a Casio Pathfinder with compass, altimeter and barometer. Waterproof for 100m, atomic time and solar charged w/back-up battery. Large faced, $169.00 at Costco with

their great return policy. I wanted to buy from REI but they didn't carry it (start on next years dividend) I like the watch and even understand how to use it, which is always a plus :o .

Touch of Grey
02-21-2007, 08:43
I say get it if you want it and to hell with what everyone else thinks. If your main purpose is to use the barometric function to aid in weather predictions then it is one of a few choices you can make for that and still not have to worry about battery life possibly.

Yes Barometric pressure does also change with altitude also so that is an added function which may or may not be of some interest. I personally am not interested in the altimeter function because you still have to go up and down the hills and moutains that constitute the trail anyway. As a weather aid in place of a weather radio, then it has some merit. (A weather radio is cheaper though. About 30 - 50 dollars at Radio Shack.) But then just paying attention and knowing cloud formations and such will do you just as much good providing you pay attention to them.

Hey it's your purchase...Not mine!

TOG

GlazeDog
02-21-2007, 09:30
I think one of them comes with a heart rate monitor--I ='d like one of those for training. Solar sounds good. Dig. compass--nice feature.

And besides, those watches just look cool. ;)

People take all kinds of whoo-haa that they don't need at all--atleast the watch can tell time. :)

GlazeDog