PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Flip-Floppers!

scrabble
02-20-2007, 20:57
A friend and I will be starting in Harpers Ferry in late march, and hiking SOBO to Springer, catch a ride back to West Virginia and finish it northbound, ending at Katahdin. This means that we will probably meet just about everyone hiking the trail at one point or another, so I just wanted to say hi. So, how many people are using an unconventional pattern like this?

My main reason for wanting to do it this way is to avoid the crowds, but still be able to finish at the dramatic Katahdin with the rest of the NOBOs.

Mammoth
02-20-2007, 23:04
That's an interesting route. Hope to see you at some point.

K0OPG
02-21-2007, 09:28
BHP,

That's exactly what I and Ron "So Big" B are doing this year. I "plan" on keeping a detailed journal and if you want, we can communicate during the trip and we'll answer any questions about doing it this way.

I have only found one other person with a journal on "trailjournals" that has done this type of flip-flop. go to trail journals and do a search for "ponderer" and you can read his journal. He didn't start in HF but close and headed south and then back north.

Also, to get back to HF, just hop an amtrak. right now it's 99 bucks and will take you into HF, that's what I plan on doing.

Good luck and maybe we'll keep in touch.

Later

scrabble
02-22-2007, 19:22
I can't wait to hear how it goes. My only real concern is the weather near the beginning. Because classes will be starting in mid august, I absolutely have to be finished by then, so our start date may have to be earlier than I would otherwise wish. What's your start date?

And thanks for the amtrak idea, I'll look into that.

waffles
03-02-2007, 13:54
hey,
I have been thinking of many different ways to accomplish the AT in the last few years that would allow me to finish before school starts. But because my school system is so weird I just haven't found a way. Plus, it's so hard to plan for it when your in school.
So, my solution: take a year off! I'll be SOBOing the whole time, so I hope to see you on the way.
Good Luck.

"A ship is safe in a harbor, but that is not what ships are built for." ~william shed

emerald
03-02-2007, 17:16
I like to read threads about people who are open to alternative itineraries and creative solutions to fit an A.T. hike into their other plans. SOBO to Springer from Harpers Ferry and NOBO to Katahdin for the remaining portion has always struck me as a better idea than an early start in Georgia, especially when the individual is less experienced or needs to drop some weight.

There is nothing illegitimate about such a hike and when it's likely to increase the probability of success, I say go for it!

Ron "So Big" B
03-02-2007, 19:30
thanks Shades of Gray.

I am looking forward to the HF to Springer leg with Coopdog aka 2nd Gear.

Brrrb Oregon
03-02-2007, 19:44
2008 Flip-floppers....let's just say, I was relieved to find this wasn't a political thread.

panama snail
03-11-2007, 13:27
I plan to flip flop the other way nobo from Springer to HF< train up to Bangor, the taxi/bus up to Millinock and on to baxter to hike SOBO to HF in2008, haven't set an official start date, anybody oing the same?

flyingduckmonster
03-30-2007, 15:55
Also, to get back to HF, just hop an amtrak. right now it's 99 bucks and will take you into HF, that's what I plan on doing.

What an incredibly awesome piece of information! Thanks!

(So, yeah, I'm a little out of shape. I know I've got a year, but realistically, I'll still be a little out of shape when I start, too. So I'm pondering the whole "flip flop" thing.)

Moonshine
03-30-2007, 18:48
2008 Flip-floppers....let's just say, I was relieved to find this wasn't a political thread.

i opened up this thread right after reading the one about hiking sandals and thought someone was going to be hiking in a pair of flip flops, which seemed like an atrociously bad idea.

kirbysf
09-09-2007, 21:49
We plan to hike NOBO from Troutville, VA starting in April '08. Flipflop and finish in Springer. My concern right now is where to park my truck in Troutville for three or four months. Any help would be appreciated.

Jumper

River
10-15-2007, 17:28
We'll be hiking with friends SOBO out of Harpers Ferry starting at the end of March. After Springer we plan to stop in MD (home) for resupply and continue up to Katahdin to hike back south to Harper's Ferry to finish. Maybe we'll see you along the way!

WILKEBEAST
10-20-2007, 13:24
flip-flops....there were 4 teen section hikers in 2005 who were referred to as the barefoot bunch because they hiked in pretty much whatever they felt comfortable in at that particular time. they hiked in sandals and sometimes barefoot, and occasionally actually shoes/boots.

and all i have to say about hiking south from HF to start out, have fun in the roller coaster.

RockStar
11-12-2007, 00:58
I have hiked the GA section and now some in VA. I want to see as much of the trail as I can before going back to school. So we are considering a flip flop. Either from Springer to HF then to Maine and back to HF or starting in HF NOBO and then back to HF SOBO, as we are from the south and it'll be like hiking home.

:-? Any thoughts?

Montego
11-12-2007, 02:14
I'll be starting Harpers Ferry NOBO to Mt. K on May 7, then flipping SOBO to Springer. Should miss most of the cold and crowded shelters by being ahead of the NOBO's starting from Springer in April (though I'm not against having some company along the way). Hope to see y'all out there.

I'll get the mice ready for ya! :D

RockStar
11-12-2007, 02:20
I'll be starting Harpers Ferry NOBO to Mt. K on May 7, then flipping SOBO to Springer. Should miss most of the cold and crowded shelters by being ahead of the NOBO's starting from Springer in April (though I'm not against having some company along the way). Hope to see y'all out there.

I'll get the mice ready for ya! :D

I am using a hammock, will have an underquilt. What are the temps like in doing this Section NOBO? I am assuming cold but, nice views and weather once in Maine. Would I be mistaken? We might actually start earlier.

Montego
11-12-2007, 02:42
I am using a hammock, will have an underquilt. What are the temps like in doing this Section NOBO? I am assuming cold but, nice views and weather once in Maine. Would I be mistaken? We might actually start earlier.

The veteran hikers here at WB would be more qualified to answer you on that one. For myself, I will be using a Campmor 20* down bag and a cold weather tent (Eureka Wabakimi) just in case, but even with your hammock, I assume that you will do OK. Maybe I'll see ya out there. :-?

RockStar
11-12-2007, 03:14
Thought about getting the campmor 20* down bag. For its weight and warmth compared to my Marmot 20* that is NOW rated at 30.

Singletrack
11-12-2007, 08:41
Check out trailjournals.com/Singletrack
This might answer your flip flop questions.

RockStar
11-12-2007, 11:44
Thanks!

Christopher Robin
11-12-2007, 17:43
I'am startint at Kahtahdin in June going to HF. then Springer @ back to HF. Would I miss the bad weather, if I do it this Way?
Audrey

gdeup
11-13-2007, 16:09
I 've been planning this hike for 7 yrs and will be thru hiking a nobo, flipflop from HarpersFerry to Mt K.Should be backpackin the third week of April.I'll use a HH Hammock, w/ a Big Agnes bag combo.
Hope to see you on the trail. :)

A-Train
11-13-2007, 16:14
Just to play devil's advocate here: If you head south from HF to Springer in March to avoid the crowds, aren't you heading straight into the beast by doing this??

I'd think you'd spend the first few weeks alone, but would hit the rush head on between southern virginia and the smokies.

scrabble
11-17-2007, 05:48
Just to play devil's advocate here: If you head south from HF to Springer in March to avoid the crowds, aren't you heading straight into the beast by doing this??

I'd think you'd spend the first few weeks alone, but would hit the rush head on between southern virginia and the smokies.

It may well be more crowded than I would like. However, I think it will be far less crowded than if we were to start at springer for 2 reasons:

They say only about 25% of thru-hikers actually finish the trail, and I think the majority of those that don't will end up leaving the trail before the ~500 mile mark where we would come across them. The proportion that finishes will drop even further this year if the movie based on 'A walk in the woods' comes out.

Secondly, even if we do come across everyone who starts, that first 500 miles or so will give them an opportunity to spread out quite a bit, meaning that while we might have to deal with crowds for a little longer, they won't be nearly as severe.

Lone Wolf
11-17-2007, 07:21
there is no "Walk In the Woods" movie coming out.

kate2008
11-20-2007, 15:35
Hey! I'm planning on doing a flip flop hike starting in early May, and am looking for a hiking partner, or at least someone who would like to start out together. I plan on starting at Harpers Ferry and going NOBO, then returning by bus to Harpers Ferry and going south. I'm pretty flexible on dates and itinerary, so send me a message if you're interested! email- [email protected]

Flush2wice
11-20-2007, 15:44
I'am startint at Kahtahdin in June going to HF. then Springer @ back to HF. Would I miss the bad weather, if I do it this Way?
Audrey
It's warmer in N GA in December than it is in HF. Maybe you should just keep going south.