PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry peanut butter?

Earl Grey
02-20-2007, 23:23
What kind of container do you put it in? Im trying to expand past the lipton/ramen mealsa nd im a big fan of PB. PB sammiches are the best.

Webs
02-20-2007, 23:29
They make single-serve squeeze tubes, little mini-tubs of it (like a single-serve coffee-creamer tub, only a little larger) that can be found in breakfast buffets, and the smallest jar I've seen is 12 oz. If you're brave you can try putting it in a ziploc and cutting a corner off and slurping it down! :) But I can definetely seen some messy consequences of a weak bag......:-?

TJ aka Teej
02-20-2007, 23:31
I'm no feather weight backpacker, I take the plastic jar, usually filled half and half with pb and strawberry preserves.

Skidsteer
02-20-2007, 23:32
What kind of container do you put it in? Im trying to expand past the lipton/ramen mealsa nd im a big fan of PB. PB sammiches are the best.

They make single-serve squeeze tubes, little mini-tubs of it (like a single-serve coffee-creamer tub, only a little larger) that can be found in breakfast buffets, and the smallest jar I've seen is 12 oz. If you're brave you can try putting it in a ziploc and cutting a corner off and slurping it down! :) But I can definetely seen some messy consequences of a weak bag......:-?

Double bag it. Bag with cut corner inside another ziploc.

Fiddler
02-20-2007, 23:32
If you don't want to carry a jar check http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx

Footslogger
02-20-2007, 23:34
If I can't find the tubes of pnut butter I generally get the smallest plastic container and carry it until it's gone. Lot of times I just bought the pre-made pnut butter/cheeze crackers.

'Slogger

rafe
02-20-2007, 23:36
Any plastic container (eg Tupperware, Rubbermaid) with a snap lid. Any decent supermarket has 'em.

Jack Tarlin
02-20-2007, 23:37
In a ziplock??

That's a recipe for disaster.

And filling those squeeze tubes is a profound pain in the ass.

Most people carry their peanut butter as God intended, i.e. in its original jar.
If you're worried about the weight, then stick to the small-sized jars.

The little tubs that someone mentioned are OK, but they tend to get squashed and explode all over the place. If you're gonna carry things like that, double ziplock them.

Footslogger
02-20-2007, 23:49
[quote=Jack Tarlin;325850]

Most people carry their peanut butter as God intended, i.e. in its original jar.

=============================

Never knew peanut butter was subject to divine intervention Jack.

'Slogger

Skidsteer
02-20-2007, 23:54

'Slogger

PB is serious business. It's gotta be in the Old Testament somewhere.

Footslogger
02-20-2007, 23:57
[quote=Footslogger;325855]

PB is serious business. It's gotta be in the Old Testament somewhere.

==============================

This thread is destined to major swerve !! ...and it's all Jack's fault !!

'Slogger

jodestick
02-21-2007, 00:00
they also have pb&j all in the same jar these days. its great! and that way you don't have to carry jelly, its all mixed in.

i agree, carry the jar, or a smaller tupperware container. its worth the weight!

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2007, 00:03
All 18 oz right in the plastic jar. Same with the honey. A long as it's not in a glass jars or paper packaging, I don't repackage much of anything. It generally just leads to more trouble than it's worth.

freefall
02-21-2007, 00:05
I double ziploc mine with a corner cut off the inner bag.

Of course you could carry it like this... http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/peanut_butter_kid.htm

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2007, 00:06
I used to think the jars with the jelly mixed in were REALLY disgusting (something about those purple stripes) but on a hiking trip, it actually make a lots of sense.

But at the end of the day, you can't beat Skippy Honey Nut Creamy.

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2007, 00:08
I double ziploc mine with a corner cut off the inner bag.

Of course you could carry it like this... http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/peanut_butter_kid.htm

I'm glad that PB container is in the pic and the kid's hand wasn't in his diaper - 'cause that stuff looks pretty much the same after being processed.

Frosty
02-21-2007, 00:18
Consider also taking along Nutella for a change from peanut butter. Hazelnut-chocolate spread. A little thicker than pb, so not so good in very cold weather, but spread on a bagel - yum!

Cuffs
02-21-2007, 00:23
After last weeks PB salmonella scare, not sure I want to eat any!

Even scarier! I just went thru the cabinet looking for a container for some leftovers... and there was an old PB plastic jar... OH look, theres some numbers on the lid... whats that? 2111? OH MY GAWD! I have one of the recalled jars!

Well, I guess since I have already eaten the whole thing (and it was the gi-normous feed a family of 8 for a week, size) I guess it wasnt contaminated... Oh well, so much for my get rich quick, class action law suit scheme...

freefall
02-21-2007, 00:23
I'm glad that PB container is in the pic and the kid's hand wasn't in his diaper - 'cause that stuff looks pretty much the same after being processed.

That was my first thought:eek:!

At least it wasn't chunky.

freefall
02-21-2007, 00:27

Even scarier! I just went thru the cabinet looking for a container for some leftovers... and there was an old PB plastic jar... OH look, theres some numbers on the lid... whats that? 2111? OH MY GAWD! I have one of the recalled jars!

Well, I guess since I have already eaten the whole thing (and it was the gi-normous feed a family of 8 for a week, size) I guess it wasnt contaminated... Oh well, so much for my get rich quick, class action law suit scheme...

That lot # must've been the biggest friggin' lot ever made, I know at least 10 people that claim they had the"poison" lot in their houses. And I don't talk to that many people. ( but evidently we like peanut butter since we (me & friends/co-workers) talk so much about it!)

Jack Tarlin
02-21-2007, 00:29
Wow. To each their own, I guess. I can't stand Nutella. But what's even worse, tho, is in 2001 I hiked a big chunk of the Trail with a friend from Britain. There was this utterly vile brown spread that she got in the mail and put on EVERYTHING. It was called "Marmite" and was, I believe, made primarily from yeast extract that they got somewere in the beer brewing process. On more than one occasion, I had to eat some of this stuff, and I will never willingly do so again. Imagine toejam, mixed with molasses. Throw in a rendered kitten or two. Blend well. Leave the whole mess out in the sun for a year, heavily salt it, and stick it in a nasty little jar. That pretty much up sums up Marmite.

I still have bad dreams about it.

Cuffs
02-21-2007, 00:33
OH Jack... thats just not what I wanted to envision before bed!!!! Thanks!

Freefall, my normal choice is JIF. Funny but I only bought the Peter Pan cuz I wanted the container, hoping to make some kind of Skidsteer-esque cozy!!! Skids, its all your fault!

Another funny... The Birmingham News headline the day after the recall
"Recall Prompts Peter Panic"

4eyedbuzzard
02-21-2007, 00:34
That lot # mustv'e been the biggest friggin' lot ever made, I know at least 10 people that claim they had the"poison" lot in their houses. And I don't talk to that many people.
My wife and co-workers had it in their office "kitchen" in Norwich, VT. It was the "Great Value" brand. They all ate it and eventually did get sick - but from other causes.:( 288 reported cases in 39 states. I'd say that PB spreads pretty well.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01563.html

Hana_Hanger
02-21-2007, 00:41
LOL Thank you for my laugh of the day.
What about the honey or the jam....

freefall
02-21-2007, 00:43
OH Jack... thats just not what I wanted to envision before bed!!!! Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing!

Another funny... The Birmingham News headline the day after the recall
"Recall Prompts Peter Panic"

Maybe a PAN-demic?:D

RAT
02-21-2007, 00:46
I agree, carry it in its own container and put your favorite jelly in there too.

Marmite, that sounds like vegemite Jack. Not sure i want either of them.

I had three of the contaminated PB`s, one of g/f`s (she got sick) one of dads (he got sick) one of mine, unopened thank goodness. Going to take them back to get refunded, probly wont buy none for a while ;)

RAT

freefall
02-21-2007, 01:14
Going to take them back to get refunded, probly wont buy none for a while ;)

RAT

With all the recalls in the last few months ( spinach, peanut butter, Oscar Meyer Chicken Bites, etc...) I 've been wondering if I don't have to buy stuff now and wait a month or so before it's safe to consume?? That way maybe all the recalls can be discovered.

squeeze
02-21-2007, 01:30
In 2003, I got my trail name because I carried this product.
http://www.peanutbutter.com/squeezeproducts.asp

Lone Wolf
02-21-2007, 03:01

uhhh... the container it comes in?

Jaybird
02-21-2007, 06:22
...actually, Peanut Butter (with or without Salmonella) will work in a ZIP-LOCK! just DOUBLE-BAG it!. (ziplock inside a ziplock):D

mnof1000v
02-21-2007, 07:29
I carry pb in its jar... Along with Nutella, you might consider almond butter as an alternative, which is usually found in the natural food section of most grocery stores.

oldfivetango
02-21-2007, 08:29

I have not researched the recall but my understanding from the local
news is that it was the JARS that were contaminated and not the PB
itself.Peanuts(and therefore PB) have gotten a bad rap in the press
in general because there are a few individuals who are seriously allergic
to peanuts.Frankly,I do not know why anyone eats PeterPan,Jiff,or any
of the other modern sticky PB's because they are held together with
partially hydrogenated oils etc.If you get Smucker's pure peanut butter
it contains NONE of the artery clogging hydrogenated products and is so
pure you have to mix the oil back to the solids.Now that's the way GOD
intended peanut butter to be-and remember,peanuts contain no cholesterol.
This old boy had some for breakfast with jelly and whole wheat bread-yumm.
Oldfivetango

oldfivetango
02-21-2007, 08:45
With all the recalls in the last few months ( spinach, peanut butter, Oscar Meyer Chicken Bites, etc...) I 've been wondering if I don't have to buy stuff now and wait a month or so before it's safe to consume?? That way maybe all the recalls can be discovered.

All you need to do is research basic food handling techniques(or ask your
grandmother).Wash all fresh fruits and vegetables before consumption.Canned or frozen should be ok because they are blanched with steam or hot water prior to processing.All meats,poultry,and fish need to be thouroughly cooked.Be careful not to cross contaminate your cook surfaces,dishes,or utensils ie;dont let the cooked food toudh anything that the raw food touched first;including your hands.So keep the hands and counter tops clean.Keep in mind we have the most abundant,safest,and reasonably priced food in the world and Americans spend the lowest percentage of their disposable incomes on food than any other advanced nation.If you don't believe it,go to Japan.You can spend over a hundred bucks for just a watermelon over there.Grapes are over a buck each.Fruits
about 10 bucks a copy.Don't even think about the steak.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Happy
02-21-2007, 09:43
I have not researched the recall but my understanding from the local
news is that it was the JARS that were contaminated and not the PB
itself.Peanuts(and therefore PB) have gotten a bad rap in the press
in general because there are a few individuals who are seriously allergic
to peanuts.Frankly,I do not know why anyone eats PeterPan,Jiff,or any
of the other modern sticky PB's because they are held together with
partially hydrogenated oils etc.If you get Smucker's pure peanut butter
it contains NONE of the artery clogging hydrogenated products and is so
pure you have to mix the oil back to the solids.Now that's the way GOD
intended peanut butter to be-and remember,peanuts contain no cholesterol.
This old boy had some for breakfast with jelly and whole wheat bread-yumm.
Oldfivetango

I agree with the healthy brands...A full plastic jar of Smart Balance Omega natural peanut butter (easy to find) weights 17.8 ounces on my digital scales and contains 16 ounces of peanut butter...1.8 ounces for a plastic container ain't bad (and provides multiple uses as required in backpacking gear choices).

It contains 28 tablespoons of peanut butter at 100 calories per tablespoon and contains 17g of fats (good) and only (3g) of saturated (bad) per 2 tbsp serving. No transfats, refined sugar, or high sodium content.

It does provide 100mg of omega 3's (63% of diet recommented), 7 grams of protein, 2g of fiber and 190mg potassium per 2 tbsp serving.

Now the only thing better, is the almond butter which provides the same per serving but only has 1g of saturated fat (bad) per serving and I personally believe has a superior taste!:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-21-2007, 09:59
PB is serious business. It's gotta be in the Old Testament somewhere.Sorry fellows, it seems God intended for you to eat almonds and pistachio nuts......
11 Then their father Israel said to them, "If it must be, then do this: Put some of the best products of the land in your bags and take them down to the man as a gift—a little balm and a little honey, some spices and myrrh, some pistachio nuts and almonds.

mudhead
02-21-2007, 10:03
I think the nasty stuff changes in form during processing. JIF! Creamy! Must be the molasses. Maine thing...
Try that Nutella on graham crackers. Funky sweet, but once in a while.
Oatmeal rounds with Jif and raisins.
Jif and a spoon.
No wonder I have chub.

The Old Fhart
02-21-2007, 10:42
Baltimore Jack-"But what's even worse, tho, is in 2001 I hiked a big chunk of the Trail with a friend from Britain. There was this utterly vile brown spread that she got in the mail and put on EVERYTHING. It was called "Marmite" and was, I believe, made primarily from yeast extract that they got somewere in the beer brewing process."Marmite comes in a 4.4 ounce container(62 servings) and is made as a spread for bread, toast, or cheeses and crackers, etc.. It is similar to the Australian's 'Vegemite'. Bill Bryson described it as: "an edible yeast extract with the visual properties of an industrial lubricant."

Marmite is available in the international foods section of many large supermarkets. To learn more about Marmite, go to this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite). I like it and always have a jar at home for a delicious snack. Maybe I'll invite Jack over some time to enjoy it once again.;)

K0OPG
02-21-2007, 10:43
check out the "dark chocolate" peanut butter on another thread "no cook foods". the company also has cinnamon-raisin, and a hot/spicey peanut butter. I can't wait to try these.

zelph
02-21-2007, 10:44

As long as you know pb sammiches are on your menu, and you'll be carrying bread, why not carry the peanut butter between each slice of bread. Leave the container at home or where ever you resupply.:banana

Webs
02-21-2007, 10:49
Wow. To each their own, I guess. I can't stand Nutella. But what's even worse, tho, is in 2001 I hiked a big chunk of the Trail with a friend from Britain. There was this utterly vile brown spread that she got in the mail and put on EVERYTHING. It was called "Marmite" and was, I believe, made primarily from yeast extract that they got somewere in the beer brewing process. On more than one occasion, I had to eat some of this stuff, and I will never willingly do so again. Imagine toejam, mixed with molasses. Throw in a rendered kitten or two. Blend well. Leave the whole mess out in the sun for a year, heavily salt it, and stick it in a nasty little jar. That pretty much up sums up Marmite.

I still have bad dreams about it.

And it's a wonder they haven't asked you to be their spokesperson. :p

PS: A rendered kitten......that's about the funniest phrase I've seen in quite some time! :eek:

rhjanes
02-21-2007, 10:49
I think the 2111, is probably the plant code where the suspected contamination took place. Since they recalled all PB from that plant.
We had a small jar, which I'd eaten out of. Didn't get sick, but tossed it anyway.
Local news tested about 12 jars, lids and product. No contamination.
Local doctor is sueing anyway.............but refused to have his tested! Hope the jury tosses that one out.

saimyoji
02-21-2007, 10:51
All you need to do is research basic food handling techniques(or ask your
grandmother).Wash all fresh fruits and vegetables before consumption.Canned or frozen should be ok because they are blanched with steam or hot water prior to processing.All meats,poultry,and fish need to be thouroughly cooked.Be careful not to cross contaminate your cook surfaces,dishes,or utensils ie;dont let the cooked food toudh anything that the raw food touched first;including your hands.So keep the hands and counter tops clean.Keep in mind we have the most abundant,safest,and reasonably priced food in the world and Americans spend the lowest percentage of their disposable incomes on food than any other advanced nation.If you don't believe it,go to Japan.You can spend over a hundred bucks for just a watermelon over there.Grapes are over a buck each.Fruits
about 10 bucks a copy.Don't even think about the steak.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Those super expensive fruit are what's shown to the tourists. Guess how many Japanese people actually spend that much money on fruit? Yep, you guessed it, not too many. Like all places, there are degrees of what you can spend. You go into Whole Foods and drop your Whole Paycheck on a bag of groceries, then you can go into Giant/SuperFresh/Wegman's and get just about the same quality food for a fraction of the cost. Its all about being a smart shopper. You've heard what they say about the fool and his money, right? Guess that explains why I'm so damn broke all the time. :-?

TinAbbey
02-21-2007, 11:09
i would say carry it in a glass jar and tie a boat anchor to it for good measure. ask me about other ultra light ideas

redtail
02-21-2007, 11:39
You can get Skippy in a squeeze tube : http://www.peanutbutter.com/squeezeProducts.asp

Lyle
02-21-2007, 12:11

I'd be afraid that my pack would look like this if I carried it in a ziplock. Never tried it, but did use those plastic Gerry tubes years ago and had them open up and leak, would be afraid the ziplock would open even easier.

My vote is the original plastic jar - I thought that's why they started using the plastic, for us backpackers!

Lyle

Cuffs
02-21-2007, 13:43
check out the "dark chocolate" peanut butter on another thread "no cook foods". the company also has cinnamon-raisin, and a hot/spicey peanut butter. I can't wait to try these.

What do you mean dark chocolate and PB!?!?! :eek:
I think I have just found heaven!!:banana

Alligator
02-21-2007, 15:16
I pack mine in straws.

Alligator
02-21-2007, 15:18
It helps to heat the PB up first.

Frosty
02-21-2007, 15:27
As long as you know pb sammiches are on your menu, and you'll be carrying bread, why not carry the peanut butter between each slice of bread. Leave the container at home or where ever you resupply.:banana Won't work. The bread sucks the moisture out of the pnut butter. End up with dry disgusting PB on wet disgusting bread.

(I know because I did this once with one of those six packs of bagels. Day One was okay, Day two was barely edible. Days three thru six I carried until I hit a trash can at a trail crossing.)

zelph
02-21-2007, 15:57
Won't work. The bread sucks the moisture out of the pnut butter. End up with dry disgusting PB on wet disgusting bread.

(I know because I did this once with one of those six packs of bagels. Day One was okay, Day two was barely edible. Days three thru six I carried until I hit a trash can at a trail crossing.)

Well now my curiosity is up and I'll have to give it a test, thanks Frosty. I'm going to use 7 grain, Healthy Choice. See you in 3 days.

strnorm
02-21-2007, 20:45
Jif now makes jif to go, in 2.25oz containers, 6 in a pack. like the jello fruit etc.:sun

atraildreamer
02-21-2007, 22:05

'Slogger

Actually, I heard that a doctor invented peanunt butter to feed his patients in a lunatic asylum. :banana If he was around today, I'm sure that he would be handing out jars of the stuff to the hikers he met. :D

(It's a joke...hikers aren't crazy...are we? :))

freefall
02-22-2007, 02:10
How about this ?
http://www.energyproducts.com.au/GdOnya.htm

Jack Tarlin
02-22-2007, 12:33
Modern peanut butter may have been invented by John Harvey Kellogg (the cereal guy) and was served at the Battle Creek Sanitarium. George Washington Carver, by the way, had nothing to do with it.

Not all of Kellogg's patients were lunatics, tho he was kind of an odd kettle of fish himself.

There's an interesteting book about him called "The Road to Wellness" which was later made into a movie.

Kellogg is best known for inventing the corn flake, among other things.

rafe
02-22-2007, 12:39
Kellogg is best known for inventing the corn flake, among other things.

He also had a thing about controlling young folks' sexual urges and promiscuity, as I recall. ;)

Jack Tarlin
02-22-2007, 12:41
Yeah, that is the sort of thing you'd recall. :rolleyes:

rafe
02-22-2007, 12:43
Yeah, that is the sort of thing you'd recall. :rolleyes:

Makes you think twice about those corn flakes...

saimyoji
02-22-2007, 12:50
The Road to Wellville

http://imdb.com/title/tt0111001/

zelph
02-22-2007, 19:54
Well now my curiosity is up and I'll have to give it a test, thanks Frosty. I'm going to use 7 grain, Healthy Choice. See you in 3 days.

Made two pb sandwiches today.

I put them in a brown paper lunch bag and then on an upper cabinet shelf where I wont be tempted.

Will open the bag on Monday to see how they are doin.

I ate a couple of spoonfuls while making them :banana yummy yummy makes for a fat tummy.

Acouple of photos

two tablespoons per samich (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/TwiLyte028.jpg)

Ohhh!!! looks yummy (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/TwiLyte029.jpg)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

zelph
02-24-2007, 21:00

This morning I checked on my 2 samiches, The pieces of bread on the exposed sides were 90 percent dried out. The ones on the inside were a little less moist than when the sandwiches were made. I wrapped them in a paper towel expecting the worse. I'll redo the test and put them in Ziplocs.

I beleive the original statement was pb sandwhiches were wanted on his menu.

Frosty, Did you put jelly on your beagle sandwhiches? Maybe thats why they got so moist/wet.

freefall
02-24-2007, 22:51
...Did you put jelly on your beagle sandwhiches? Maybe thats why they got so moist/wet.

Or maybe it was the beagle itself. They drool quite a bit when it's hot.:D

Topcat
02-25-2007, 09:14
Zelph, the problem was simple, no one eats reduced fat peanut butter, it is sacrilige...

mudhead
02-25-2007, 12:40
Try heavier, thicker, bread. This has worked with homemade bread for me. Went looking for that Marmite. $4.99 for a runt jar. Don't think I want to know what a rendered kitten tastes like that bad! I will trust that it is an aquired taste. (I also used raisins in the above sandwiches.)

zelph
02-27-2007, 13:15
Or maybe it was the beagle itself. They drool quite a bit when it's hot.:D

Trust Freefall!!! don't use beagles, of any kind:D (nice catch Freefall)

TopcatZelph, the problem was simple, no one eats reduced fat peanut butter, it is sacrilige...

You're right, I should have read the label, my bad:D (good eyes)

My wife found my other sandwich(the one i put in a ziplock) that was under test and said get rid of this thing, so I ate it!!!!. While eating it I took two photos to show that it did not become soggy as we were led to believe. Urban Legends, oh how easy they could start.

This sandwhich(one of two) was made last Thursday, kept in a paper lunch bag for 48 hours and then transfered to a ziplock and then opened today. Both pieces of bread became stiff of equal measure and was still edible. It was stiff but not crunchy like the one slice on the first sandwhich that was eaten on Sat.

First Photo (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/TwiLyte046.jpg)

Second photo (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/TwiLyte047.jpg)

Thats all I gotta say about carryin pb:banana test is over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

mindi
02-27-2007, 17:14
I bought the Jif to Go cups, I'm going to spread them on tortillas rather than bread. I really, really wanted to take some Nutella, but I just couldn't justify the weight of the whole jar. I wish they made Nutella to Go.

Phil1959
02-27-2007, 17:29
Buy whatever size jar ya want and make sure you got room for a 6 pack of beer,and off ya go!

Ewker
02-27-2007, 17:45
I bought the Jif to Go cups, I'm going to spread them on tortillas rather than bread. I really, really wanted to take some Nutella, but I just couldn't justify the weight of the whole jar. I wish they made Nutella to Go.

I would rather take the whole jar than the to go cups.

RadioFreq
02-28-2007, 15:45
I carry a whole jar. Not because it's convenient, but because I go through peanut butter like some people go through air. :D

veteran
02-28-2007, 18:00

Here you go: Chocolate & Peanut Butter (http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/store/index.cfm?destination=darkchocolatedreams)

boarstone
02-28-2007, 20:08
As a resupplier/packer I can tell you how NOT to package PB! Please no ziploc bags! Keep in plastic jar it comes in or buy a wide mouth nagelene bottle....

warraghiyagey
02-28-2007, 23:56
Buying the plastic jar seems the most convenient/cost effective. As well it makes a great carry out container for your garbage. By the time my PB was gone, my garbage zip lock was full and the empty PB container was perfect for the last couple days until town.:) :)

Peace

weary
03-01-2007, 12:08
I've never found anything better than a container for carrying peanut butter. Especially good is the container that it is sold in if it's made of plastic. If one is unwise enough to buy PB in glass, one has to buy a plastic container, or use one that some other purchase came in.

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 12:11
I carried the small plastic jar for a while in 2003 and found that after a while I got tired of Peanut Butter and yet that jar was still a sizeable lump in my food bag. Later on in the hike I switched to the "tube" or the small (individual portion) squeeze packets when I could find them. When I re-hike the trail I think I'm going to locate a source for the packets prior to hiking and stick an ample supply of them in my bounce box.

'Slogger

Undershaft
03-01-2007, 12:57
You can get Skippy in a squeeze tube : http://www.peanutbutter.com/squeezeProducts.asp

I've tried the skippy squeeze and found the taste to be rather nasty compared with PB from a jar. Maybe it was just my taste buds, but I won't go hiking with the squeeze tube again. I just carry it in it's original plastic jar now.

ProphetGreenBlaze
03-01-2007, 21:56
well there are these dont think there made for peanut butter but i can see them working for it http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47591411&parent_category_rn=5760752&vcat=REI_SEARCH

illusionistG
03-02-2007, 00:27
TARGET carries the SKIPPY brand in tubes. If you go on their website they will list a store in your local area that carries the PB tubes.

Also, PETER PAN markets their PB in a plastic container similar to yogurt size cups.

I agree with UNDERSHAFT...the Skippy brand out of the tube did taste different than their jar product, and well, even though I liked Peter Pan's taste they did have a recent recall on their PB product line. I will say the Peter Pan cups were just the right size for a bagel, pita, tortilla sandwich, are lightweight, and took up very little room in my food bag.

Obsidian
03-03-2007, 01:04
Here you go: Chocolate & Peanut Butter (http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/store/index.cfm?destination=darkchocolatedreams)

I bought some of this tonight and it's so good, best thing I've put in my mouth in a long time!

JDCool1
03-05-2007, 01:34
An easy, and not so messy way of transferring pb from a jar to the squeeze tub from REI or some other outfitter, is by keeping the jar in the refrig overnight. this will help it become more solid and it will then dip out with a spoon into the tube. press down and there you have it.

Jester2000
03-05-2007, 01:49
I bought some of this tonight and it's so good, best thing I've put in my mouth in a long time!

I know you've only posted 10 times, but if you keep this up you'll be the most popular straight man on the site.

Obsidian
03-05-2007, 16:25
I know you've only posted 10 times, but if you keep this up you'll be the most popular straight man on the site.

If I keep this up I get a sex change? Oh boy!

you know those extra parts just might make peeing in the woods a little easier..:D

STOKER
03-05-2007, 16:45
half a jar of PB, w/ chocolate chips and oatmeal (the real sugary kind) all mixed up right outa the jar.Filling those squeeze tubes make me me wana commit sepoku

Jester2000
03-06-2007, 20:06
If I keep this up I get a sex change? Oh boy!

you know those extra parts just might make peeing in the woods a little easier..:D

I'm hoping you know what a straight man is, and that you were just joking there.

Hmmm, about the other thing.

Peeing = easier
Chafing = worse

But I have solved this problem by storing mine in a small pocket on my hipbelt.

Obsidian
03-08-2007, 00:34
I'm hoping you know what a straight man is, and that you were just joking there.

Hmmm, about the other thing.

Peeing = easier
Chafing = worse

But I have solved this problem by storing mine in a small pocket on my hipbelt.

no i was just trying to tell you that I wouldn't be the most popular straight man because I'm a girl, probably just didn't say it the most simpliest way possible