PDA

View Full Version : Best part of the middle?

Swiss Roll
02-21-2007, 09:55
In my previous question (most beautiful view) everyone gave answers that were either north of Vermont or south of Maryland. I understand that the miles in between are less inspiring, but surely there are some nice parts there also. Anybody care to take a stab at this? Doesn't have to be most beautiful, just name a place you particularly enjoyed.

rafe
02-21-2007, 10:05
I was pleasantly surprised with some of the views on my last hike -- over the Kitatinny ridge in NJ (mostly views looking east) and in eastern PA. But in general the mountains in the central portion aren't very high, so you're in "the green tunnel" more often than not, with fewer opportunities for expansive views.

Some highlights I've seen from the central portion so far... Sages Ravine (CT/MA border,) walks along the Hoosatonic in CT, a view looking out over North Adams MA (and from Greylock summit,) crossing the Hudson, some nice stuff in Harriman State Park. Kinda low-key compared to the Whites and Maine, though. ;)

jlb2012
02-21-2007, 10:17
I kinda like the view from Hightop south of Swift Run Gap in Shen. NP - I often stop there for a few minutes - but its not as good as MacAfee / Tinker Cliffs.

Jim Adams
02-21-2007, 10:24
how about the view from the rocks above Duncannon overlooking the river valley?
geek

Toolshed
02-21-2007, 10:38
A warm summer day, crossing those final fields as you head into Boiling Springs, knowing that an ice cold Coca Cola awaits you. I'll never forget that day - seeing the young and vibrant DragonSlayer slackpacking in a halter top from a long way off and watching her walk toward me as if she is floating across the field was also a highlight.

veteran
02-21-2007, 11:29
One of the most scenic spots in Maryland, the Annapolis Rocks at sunset (http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/trailjournals/1730/tj1730%5F103104%5F075821.jpg).

redtail
02-21-2007, 11:30
My favorite view in MD is from Weverton Cliffs, overlooking the Potomac.

Mags
02-21-2007, 16:43
Weaverton Cliffs were very nice indeed.

Kittaninny (sp?) Ridge, also mentioned, was nice.

In fact, New Jersey was my favorite surprise on the trail. Surpingingly good views, mountain laurel in bloom around Sunfish Pond (southernmost glacier pond IIRC). Beautiful.

Yep..New Jersey was my favorite "middle" section of trail. Good chance you will see a black bear near the PA/NJ border, too. I did. First time seeing a bear in the wild.

Sleepy the Arab
02-21-2007, 16:45
Here are a few that I liked:

The Pinnacles in PA. There is just one long ridge running through that part of the state and you are on it admiring the checkerboard of farms below.
The Knife Edge just south of Bake Oven Knob. Underrated.
South of Camp Mohican are some open(ish) summits where you can see the Delaware River.
The little knob about 2 miles after William Brien Shelter where it is possible to see New York City. There's just enough room for a couple of tents.
The Hangglider Viewpoint. The launch was dismantled sometime in the last 5 years and the open space is rapidly being overgrown. You can just barely make out Lime Rock Racetrack.

Ronin
02-21-2007, 17:13
In fact, New Jersey was my favorite surprise on the trail. Surpingingly good views, mountain laurel in bloom around Sunfish Pond (southernmost glacier pond IIRC). Beautiful.

Yep..New Jersey was my favorite "middle" section of trail. Good chance you will see a black bear near the PA/NJ border, too. I did. First time seeing a bear in the wild.

Alright Mags! Finally, NJ gets its props!! :banana I'm a Jersey boy if you couldn't tell, and am tired of all the slack it gets! (In general, I mean, not here at WB.)

firemountain
02-21-2007, 17:15
Here are two that have not been mentioned yet:
Lehigh Gap in PA, particularly the descent down into it (heading south). All exposed rock.
The ridgewalk just north of the NY/NJ border, also very rocky (and slippery when wet!).

rafe
02-21-2007, 17:43
Here are two that have not been mentioned yet:
Lehigh Gap in PA, particularly the descent down into it (heading south). All exposed rock.

Geez, I dunno if I'd call that a beautiful view. More like a, "You've got to be *****ting me" view. :D There's a busy road and a bridge at the bottom... not quite my ideal calendar photo.

The ridgewalk just north of the NY/NJ border, also very rocky (and slippery when wet!).Looking down on Greenwood Lake, you mean? Pretty nice, though hardly "to die for." For me, one of the loneliest days I've ever experienced on the AT. Went nearly two whole days without seeing another human.

The Snowman
02-21-2007, 17:48
Great Falls in CT without question the most impressive site on the trail. Its sad that thru hikers never really get to see this at its peak.

Ronin
02-21-2007, 17:50
Great Falls in CT without question the most impressive site on the trail. Its sad that thru hikers never really get to see this at its peak.

Hey Snowman, when you say "peak", are you talking about a particular time of year? Early spring during snowmelt maybe?

SteveJ
02-21-2007, 18:25
One of the most scenic spots in Maryland, the Annapolis Rocks at sunset (http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/trailjournals/1730/tj1730%5F103104%5F075821.jpg).

nice view, indeed. The evening I sat up there and watched the sun go down, they were holding races at the track in the valley below - sounded like I was on the infield of the Talladega 500 (where I mispent a part of my youth!)....

bfitz
02-21-2007, 18:47
I love the Shenandoahs, but that's probably because that's in my vicinity. We use to skip school and drive up skyline drive when I was in high school.

The Snowman
02-21-2007, 19:26
Great Falls is best in early spring end of March early April of a year with a heavy fast snow melt but what really makes for the show of a life time is when the power plant closes and sends the whole volume of water over the falls. Its the power plant that makes it hard to see the falls at peak flow not so much the time of year.. At peak flow the water covers the whole rock face you see from the lookout not just the narrow stream you see in July and Aug.

Programbo
02-21-2007, 19:35
Well I can`t say much for the natural beauty part of it all but if you have any interest in history the middle part of the AT from Northern Virgnia thru cnetral PA is full of historical places which are right on or near the trail

Mags
02-21-2007, 20:12
>>Alright Mags! Finally, NJ gets its props!! :banana I'm a Jersey boy if you >>couldn't tell,

Vernon was nice little trail town, too. Then there was this tiny town where I picked up a care package (I can't remember now), that is in a suprisingly rural area. Pleasant stop.

YEp..NJ: The AT's best little "unknown" gem.

jamarshall
02-21-2007, 20:27
I liked NJ too. Not at all what I expected, but a nice variety of terrain and views. I didn't see any bears, but I have them at home so that didn't matter. Of course, I haven't done the whole trail yet, so there's still lots to look forward to.

Elf
02-22-2007, 04:48
The Pinnacle in PA had a fantastic view. I say "had" because the trees have been getting taller. In my dad's pictures from the '70s, and even when I was there 15 years ago, the view was much more impressive than recent times I've been there (the last about two years ago). You could see 270 degrees around, and from the base of the mountain to the hills and mountains in the distance in every direction.

Blue Jay
02-22-2007, 06:14
I would have to say the Doyle Hotel. Depending, of course, upon the quality of the drunk hikers at any given time. I love the view from any of the rooms and everything else about the place. I also love seeing it on the bend in the river from the famous lookout coming north on the AT. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

rswanson
02-22-2007, 19:26
The only scenic spot in Maryland...

I kid!