PDA

View Full Version : SNP this weekend

Hikerhead
02-21-2007, 13:29
Myself and another guy are doing an overniter in SNP this weekend, 2-24/2-25-07.

If anybody wants to join in let me know.

QHShowoman
02-21-2007, 14:40
I tried going to SNP for a dayhike over the weekend and the entire thing was closed due to "snow accumulation."

Go figure.

Creek Dancer
02-21-2007, 16:54
They will close Skyline Drive if they determine the roads are hazardous due to ice and/or snow. You can usually get into the park from other roads though - depending on where in the park you want to go.

So where are you thinking about going? I might be able to join you.

Spirit Walker
02-21-2007, 18:51
Given how icy it was last weekend, you are lucky the road was closed. We did a short dayhike near Luray and the trail was solid ice. It was beautiful, but treacherous.

Hikerhead
02-21-2007, 19:32
They will close Skyline Drive if they determine the roads are hazardous due to ice and/or snow. You can usually get into the park from other roads though - depending on where in the park you want to go.

So where are you thinking about going? I might be able to join you.

We'll be hiking around the Big Meadow/Skyland area. Yeah, they locked me and Stumpknocker out a few months ago right after the big ice storm. Even though it was 60's degrees and no snow or ice in sight. I'm hoping this spring like weather we're having right now will hold and the SL drive will be open.

But yes, come on along. We should be up there at around 10am sat. More info to come if you're still interested.

bfitz
02-21-2007, 19:44
I'm going to the Doyle.

Hikerhead
02-21-2007, 20:05
I just called SNP and the whole lenght of Skyline is closed at the moment. But, the weather is supposedly going to be in the 40's for the rest of the week. I'm keeping a positive outlook. It will be open by this weekend.

jlb2012
02-21-2007, 20:39
I'm interested in this hike also - depending on details of course - I know y'all are stronger hikers than I am Hikerhead and Creek Dancer but I was seriously considering doing a solo up in the park anyways just to get out so a get together would work well also for me.

Hikerhead
02-21-2007, 20:56
I'm interested in this hike also - depending on details of course - I know y'all are stronger hikers than I am Hikerhead and Creek Dancer but I was seriously considering doing a solo up in the park anyways just to get out so a get together would work well also for me.

That would be great. We'll check in with SNP on Friday and make a decision on a meeting spot. Right now I'm saying we'll meet at the parking lot at the Skyland Stables and hike south of that. North Bound or South Bound it doesn't matter. That's where I ended the last time. Me and my bud were going to do a 10 mile up and back. Maybe now we can do a 20 miler. But we're flexible. We can do as much or as little as everone else wants to do.

fonsie
02-21-2007, 20:57
Yea I was thinking of starting at Manasass gap and heading to the jim and molly then to Tom Floydd. Yea Sheanadoah is real funny about people being there around snow and ice. I don't blame them I would'nt want to do a search and rescue in that kind of wheather. They do that just to be caucous...sorry not a very good speller.

RiverWarriorPJ
02-21-2007, 21:24
<~~Waitin' on a new bag thru the USPS..(yawn)..but once it gets here I'll be ready 4 a SNP run...
...Fonsie.....as CreekDancer mentioned.....SL Dr maybe closed, but the park can still be entered thru stde roads/trails on the east & west sides of the park....

fonsie
02-21-2007, 21:47
Yea I kno, I might go to sheanadoa not sure. See yall on the trail.

QHShowoman
02-22-2007, 13:09
Given how icy it was last weekend, you are lucky the road was closed. We did a short dayhike near Luray and the trail was solid ice. It was beautiful, but treacherous.

I opted for a short hike in Shenandoah River State Park, in Front Royal. The snow was hardpacked, but still hikeable, although from the lack of human footprints, I was the first to do so in recent days. Saw some great animal tracks, though!

Creek Dancer
02-22-2007, 13:59
Wish I could join you guys, but I am going to have to pass on this trip. A friend needs my help with her four kids over the weekend while she undergoes treatment for brain cancer.

Have a great time everyone!

Hikerhead
02-22-2007, 19:29
Wish I could join you guys, but I am going to have to pass on this trip. A friend needs my help with her four kids over the weekend while she undergoes treatment for brain cancer.

Have a great time everyone!

Sorry to hear that. I called again just now and SLD is still closed. Must be for trees in the road. The Big Meadows Cam shows a clear road with just a touch of snow in the meadow.

We may have to think about plan B. HOI, are you still with us?

jlb2012
02-22-2007, 20:23
I am a little concerned about the weather - I am hearing a forecast of sleet and freezing rain around here for Saturday night which obviously may mean ice up on the ridge - now admittedly this only affects the hike out and a bit of the camping so I am still thinking it might be a good hike. On the other hand the weather may turn to real crap in which case I would probably bail. The park is almost sure to leave the drive closed based on the weather forecast so we would be either walking in from one of the gaps or from one of the boundary access points. Generally what I do when the drive is closed is to hike from Swift Run Gap to either Hightop hut area (3 miles or so) or to Bear Fence hut area (10 miles or so) - that is assuming I want to make a fire.

Hikerhead
02-22-2007, 20:38
Yeah, I heard something about sleet/freezing ran too. Well, we'll do another weather check tomorrow and make a final call.

Blissful
02-23-2007, 00:29
Yeah, I heard something about sleet/freezing ran too. Well, we'll do another weather check tomorrow and make a final call.

And there's always the White Oak canyon, Cedar Falls circuit day hike, starting from the bottom. :)

Hikerhead
02-23-2007, 14:45
The Skyline Drive is still closed so we're going with Plan B. A 10 miler in on Sat and a 10 miler out on Sunday. They are expection sleet/freezing rain on Sat night. Still, If anybody else wants to go, let me know and I'll PM you the details. Right now it HOI, myself and my buddy who doesn't have a trail name so we'll have to give him one. We'll just call him Carl No Name for now. :)

Hikerhead
02-26-2007, 14:24
We had a fun weekend. With the forecast calling for some kind of frozen precip, we parked on the outiside of the gate at Rt 33. HOI's car was already there so we chased him on the AT to Bear Fence shelter, 10 miles away. Carl set a blazing pace like always and I actually got to pass 5 hikers, it's not everyday that I do that. Carl got away from me the last 3 miles and when I arrived Carl and HOI had already gotten a fire going. We set up our rigs and gathered wood and HOI brought out some awesome hotdogs or Brocks I believe they were called. It got dark and the owls gave some hoots and the moon had a very large ring around it. We all hit the sack around 9 or so. I woke up when I felt something heavy on me, it was my fly full of snow. In the morning we had close to 4" of snow on the ground. We decided to walk the Skyline drive back to the cars. HOI wasn't packed up just yet so Carl and I headed on. The first 4 miles out was tough as we climbed a couple of hills taking turns breading trail. The last 4 miles was all down hill with freezing rain starting to pack down the snow, it made the walk a little easier. I was so sore last night that I had to break out the Ben Gay, it's been awhile since I've used it. I wonder...on a cold night could you just coat yourself with this stuff????? It was a good weekend. A couple of pics will follow.