PDA

View Full Version : Pinhoti Trail (AL) Mid March 2007

Cuffs
02-21-2007, 14:59
Frosty and I are in the planning stages of a northbound thru hike of the Alabama portion of the Pinhoti Trail.

Our estimated departure date is around March 18th or 19th.

We are working on a plan that is 11 full days of hiking and possibly a 1/2 day (very low miles) on either end.

Personally, I have to be finished by late morning/early afternoon on the 30th, to attend the AHTS conference back at Cheaha.

We dont plan on sticking rigidly to our schedule, but using it as a guideline for finishing by the expected date...

This trail is used so little, that a thru-hiker could get very lonely and/or bored quickly. We thought we would offer this out to anyone who wanted to join us and have some company.
If anyone else is interested, please post here or send PM to myself or Frosty and we will get you a tentative itinerary.

Frosty
02-21-2007, 15:31
Anyone up north who wants to go south and hike in the (relative) warmth and wants to carpool, I'll be driving down from NH. After the hike I intend to stop at Franklin (Ron Haven's hiker bash weekend), and then stop in at Erwin, too, to say Hi to the recent Birthday Girl.

Two Speed
02-21-2007, 15:37
Frosty & AHG

Let me know if I can help with a pick up at Cave Spring. PM's are good. ;)

Cuffs
02-21-2007, 16:18
Thanks Two!!! Thats a great offer. Frosty will most likely leave his car at Cave Spring PD, where I'll pick him up and head south for our start. My car will be in Sylacauga, just down the way from the trailhead. Thats where I'll need to get back to...
So... anyone else who wants to join in, maybe drop their car also at Cave Spring, and I can bring them back to the southern trailhead...

Miles
02-21-2007, 16:58
If you contact Mike Kennedy from the Alabama Hiking Trail Society and let him know about your plans, then if you can meet with him, he will treat you well. Maybe you could set up a time for him to open the house atop Flagg Mountain. His address is: [email protected]. We are wishing you well, Frosty!

stuco
02-21-2007, 17:14
My sister and I will be thru hiking the pinhoti during that time. Don't know the exact dates. Maybe we'll see you guys out there.

Cuffs
02-21-2007, 17:29
Stuco, you going south or north bound?

Frosty
02-21-2007, 17:35
If you contact Mike Kennedy from the Alabama Hiking Trail Society and let him know about your plans, then if you can meet with him, he will treat you well. Maybe you could set up a time for him to open the house atop Flagg Mountain. His address is: [email protected]. We are wishing you well, Frosty!Thanks, Miles. You guys are starting March 18, right? Maybe I'll bump into you in Franklin March 30-31.

Have a great hike.

Two Speed
02-21-2007, 17:53
. . . Frosty will most likely leave his car at Cave Spring PD, where I'll pick him up and head south for our start. My car will be in Sylacauga, . . . Prolly a good idea to call City Hall at Cave Spring and let them know what you're planning, if you haven't already done that. Other than the hike from the end of the trail back to the PD it sounds like you've got a good plan going. Wish I had the time, 'cause I'd hike that trail again in a red hot minute.

stuco
02-21-2007, 18:07
Stuco, you going south or north bound?

Still trying to figure that out.

Frosty
02-26-2007, 15:42
Just want to bump this for visibility, in case anyone missed this or forgot about it.

All you northern hikers, here's a chance to backpack in March without your water filter freezing up on you.

Alabama Pinhoti Trail, about 140 miles, starting afternoon of Sunday March 8. Finish Friday morning March 30, in time to make it to either the Alabama Hiking Trail Society Conference in Cheaha or the April Fool Hiker bash in Franklin NC.

Average of about 10-11 miles a day first half, 12-13 miles a day the second half.

Re-supply possible halfway point (at mile 71) in Heflin AL.

MOWGLI
02-26-2007, 15:48
Alabama Pinhoti Trail, about 140 miles, starting afternoon of Sunday March 8. Finish Friday morning March 30, in time to make it to either the Alabama Hiking Trail Society Conference in Cheaha or the April Fool Hiker bash in Franklin NC.

Average of about 10-11 miles a day first half, 12-13 miles a day the second half.

Re-supply possible halfway point (at mile 71) in Heflin AL.

You sure you got those dates right Frosty? The numbers don't add up.

Frosty
02-26-2007, 15:50
You sure you got those dates right Frosty? The numbers don't add up.Thanks a bunch, MOWGLI! I meant Sunday March 18. Original post corrected.

Cuffs
02-26-2007, 16:57
Scared me too! I was going to be really late for the hike if it started on the 8th!

Food prep in progress! Gear gathering is next. And my new waterproof waist pack/camera back will be here Thursday!!! Yea!!!!

Frosty
02-26-2007, 18:07
Food prep in progress! Just got back from the grocery store. Makes for a very different grocery cart. Mega M&M's, Snickers, fruit rollups, instant potatoes, cereal, oatmeal packets, dried fruit, peanuts. No fresh veggies or fruit or meat.

Was only going to buy for first six days, but couldn't remember if we wre going to buy en route, cache or mail drop, so I bought double everything to cover all bases.

I will probably have to go back again, as the Snickers, peanuts, etc may not survive until we leave.

stuco
02-26-2007, 19:02
I'm confused about exactly how long the pinhoti trail is. I think we are going to do the alabama portion. Some of the sites I've read say 103 miles some say 111 some say 136 and some say 140. What gives? If anyone knows or knows of a good reference for this info please let me know.

Frosty
02-26-2007, 19:09
I'm confused about exactly how long the pinhoti trail is. I think we are going to do the alabama portion. Some of the sites I've read say 103 miles some say 111 some say 136 and some say 140. What gives? If anyone knows or knows of a good reference for this info please let me know.http://www.pnrt.net/sitemap.html

http://www.alabamatrail.org/hikingAL/Pinhoti/PinhotiI.htm

stuco
02-26-2007, 19:20
http://www.pnrt.net/sitemap.html

http://www.alabamatrail.org/hikingAL/Pinhoti/PinhotiI.htm

exactly one of those says 136 miles and the other says 111, what is considered a thru hike?

Two Speed
02-26-2007, 19:23
I think some of the confusion may be based on the fact that some new sections have been opened up recently.

n2o2diver
02-26-2007, 19:51
It is correct on Solo's site pnrt.net

136.9 from Bull Gap (Sect 9 to the Al ATA section) to Jackson Chapel Rd in Cave Spring. He measured it 2 or 3 time with a walking wheel. The new section 9 and Al ATA sections account for the increased length. Section 10 hasn't been built yet.

Don't forget to download Mr. Parkays maps, they are the be all end all of maps for the Pinhoti, both GA and AL sections. You won't find more comprehensive maps anywhere. They may not be up for long, he said he may be having some problems with National Geographic copyright something or other. http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80

For anyone thinking about getting the Forrest Service maps, which kinda suck, there are only 5 maps which cover sections 1-8, 2 of the maps covers multiple sections. There are no Forrest Service maps for section 9 or the Al ATA section as of yet.

Frosty
02-26-2007, 20:19
Don't forget to download Mr. Parkays maps, they are the be all end all of maps for the Pinhoti, both GA and AL sections. You won't find more comprehensive maps anywhere. They may not be up for long, he said he may be having some problems with National Geographic copyright something or other. http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80These are awesome maps. To get best resolution, make sure you get them by clicking the DOWLOAD PHOTO link on the right. The file should be about 1.5 MB. If it is 7KB or 70 KB, then you are saving the thumbnail.

Once opened on screen or printed out, these are superb.

Two Speed
02-26-2007, 20:31
Thanks for the tip. The Georgia section is probably going to be my next long hike. Now, how do I bamboozle my current employer into a couple of weeks off . . . :-?

Two Speed
02-26-2007, 20:39
Looking at the Georgia maps I think I'd turn LEFT on Old Jackson Chapel, hoof it to GA 53 and turn right on 53 and walk that into Cave Spring. GA 100 gets a LOT of logging traffic; not as heavy on 53. But you're right Frosty, those are some great maps Mr. Parkay has worked out.

stuco
03-01-2007, 11:42
Yesterday I went to day hike on the pinhoti(burns trailhead,coleman lake sec3 area) and the trailhead was closed with signs saying that there was a forest fire on dugger mountain and the trail was closed until further notice.

Just thought some of you might like to know this.

Cuffs
03-01-2007, 12:12
Thanks for that info Stucco! I'll look into it. Hopefully it wont impede our hike!

Frosty
03-01-2007, 12:27
Hopefully it wont impede our hike!Nah, we'll be fine. If we have to detour, we can figure it out then, but even if the trail isn't officially open, we'll be okay, I'm sure.

Cuffs
03-01-2007, 13:02
Well, if the weather thats predicted over the next few hours, we wont have to worry about water... huge rains, tornado watch... heading straight for AL. Most businesses and schools are closing at noon!

Frosty
03-01-2007, 13:46
Well, if the weather thats predicted over the next few hours, we wont have to worry about water... huge rains, tornado watch... heading straight for AL. Most businesses and schools are closing at noon!Forest fires, monsoons, tornadoes ... what? no earthquakes?

Are you as glad as I am that we decided on late March rather than early March? :D

Cuffs
03-01-2007, 13:47
Oh good, you just had to ask about the quakes... Yes, we do get them here! Last one was just last month!

Cuffs
03-01-2007, 14:23
Just spoke w/ Forest Service on phone... fire is in Dugger Wilderness. While signage says trail is closed, it has not affected the trail at this time...

On another note... permits... while they are needed for hiking during deer season (which has just ended), they are not required, but highly recommended, during turkey season (which starts March 15th). They are free. Frosty, I have to be over in that area for other business, so I'll pick them up just so we can say we "did the right thing."

Cuffs
03-13-2007, 17:01
Last call!!!!

Not really, but in case anyone was going to show up, we didnt want to leave them behind.

Frosty and I will be at the Bull Gap trailhead early afternoon on Sunday, March 18th.

Stuco, hope you can make it.

N2O2, see your about Blue Mtn Shelter?

vaporjourney
03-13-2007, 18:04
I had thought about doing this, starting in Alabama, hiking up to to Cape Gaspe in Quebec, to somplete the Appalachian MOUNTAIN Trail. Decided I didnt want to start hiking on a trail that has lots of road walking though. Best of luck on this trail though. Not too many people know about it, so props for making the effort to hike it.

Frosty
03-13-2007, 22:00
I had thought about doing this, starting in Alabama, hiking up to to Cape Gaspe in Quebec, to somplete the Appalachian MOUNTAIN Trail. That would be a pretty awesome hike. I'd also like to do the IAT. I'm going to give the AT another go next year. We'll see how I feel if I make it to Maine. Haven't gotten to VA yet ...

Did I read somewhere that you are doing a thruhike this year? Good luck if so.

vaporjourney
03-13-2007, 23:44
Yes Frosty, I am starting my thruhike this saturday, the 17th. I am planning on going over Knife's Edge and continuing up the IAT to Cap Gaspe as well. Can't wait. Thanks for the good wishes.

humunuku
03-14-2007, 20:06
ALHIKERGAL : You are gonna do a write up and share some picts from the hike, aren't ya?

This Pinhoti thread combined with Mr Parkays maps have really got me fired up on doing the pinhoti (although i just started a new job post-foothills hike last month, so I now have zero vacation days).

Cuffs
03-14-2007, 20:29
ALHIKERGAL : You are gonna do a write up and share some picts from the hike, aren't ya?

This Pinhoti thread combined with Mr Parkays maps have really got me fired up on doing the pinhoti (although i just started a new job post-foothills hike last month, so I now have zero vacation days).

Frosty and I will both likely be doing trailjournals, so I'll post the links to it when we get back. Im an avid picture taker, so Im sure there will be plenty!!

Hope you can make the trip some day!

stuco
03-14-2007, 21:06
We will be leaving a day or two ahead of you two. How far are you planning on going?

Cuffs
03-15-2007, 09:48
We will be leaving a day or two ahead of you two. How far are you planning on going?

Allll the way! Well, the AL Pinhoti anyways... From Bull Gap to Cave Spring.

stuco
03-15-2007, 10:33
Allll the way! Well, the AL Pinhoti anyways... From Bull Gap to Cave Spring.

We are going to go to heflin and see how we feel, We have to be don by monday. That's over 70miles so that's a good bit of it. I hope you guys make it all the way. I just hiked about 5 miles of it over dugger mountain a couple days ago and am happy to confirm for you know that that section is open again.

stuco
03-15-2007, 10:34
We plan on 6-7 days to get to heflin. Who knows we might keep on keepin' on after that

Frosty
03-15-2007, 10:42
We plan on 6-7 days to get to heflin. Who knows we might keep on keepin' on after thatWhat day did you say you were leaving?

We're leaving this coming Sunday. Our rough plan is to be in Heflin Friday night. The constraint we have is that we want to finish up by Friday, March 30, preferably in the morning.

stuco
03-15-2007, 10:46
What day did you say you were leaving?

We're leaving this coming Sunday. Our rough plan is to be in Heflin Friday night. The constraint we have is that we want to finish up by Friday, March 30, preferably in the morning.

Either Tomorrow or EARLY :sun saturday morning.

Cuffs
03-15-2007, 10:52
Either Tomorrow or EARLY :sun saturday morning.

Well if we dont see you, at least leave us "a sign" that you were there!

stuco
03-15-2007, 22:15
Well if we dont see you, at least leave us "a sign" that you were there!

Maybe you will pick up some free "heavyweight" gear:D

Cuffs
03-17-2007, 21:33
Just spoke with Frosty and he's in Rome, Ga. I'll be meeting him tomorrow morning in Cave Spring. We'll arrive atthe trail head at Bull Gap around noon for our thru!

N2O2 was out doing some trail maintenance (yea! and thanks!) and reported some sad news of clear cut destruction on the north end...

He is going to try to see us off at the trailhead also!

Frosty and I both will be attending the AHTS conference at Cheaha SP after our completion. A full report will follow upon our return!

Bu-bye all and see you in 2 weeks!

Sly
03-19-2007, 12:36
Anyone know where I-20 crosses the Pinhoti (mile marker)? Ill be traveling that way next week and am thinking of doing some trail magic for Frosty and AlHikerGal. Will they be past there by next week if they're taking 2 weeks to hike?

Sly
03-19-2007, 12:41
OK, I see where they need to be in Heflin by 3/30. That's cool. Anyone know how to get on the trail off of I-20 near Heflin?

The Solemates
03-19-2007, 14:28
OK, I see where they need to be in Heflin by 3/30. That's cool. Anyone know how to get on the trail off of I-20 near Heflin?

been there many times while sectioning the pinhoti. Take the Oxford exit. eh screw it...i just looked it up from solo's website. here's what it says

http://www.pnrt.net/5.html

I would probably just meet them at a forest service road--that would be the easiest thing to do. USFS 500 is just a few miles off the interstate.

The Solemates
03-19-2007, 14:28
oh..and it crosses at mm 66.7

Skidsteer
03-19-2007, 17:33
oh..and it crosses at mm 66.7

They must've changed the mile markers recently. The exits for Oxford/Anniston are now 188 and 185.

Sly
03-19-2007, 17:39
They must've changed the mile markers recently. The exits for Oxford/Anniston are now 188 and 185.

In order to find the a trailhead before Heflin, would I get off at Oxford or Heflin? I know it's against LNT, but I'll probably just tie something to a tree with names and an expiration date on it.

Skidsteer
03-19-2007, 17:44
In order to find the a trailhead before Heflin, would I get off at Oxford or Heflin? I know it's against LNT, but I'll probably just tie something to a tree with names and an expiration date on it.

Can't help there, Sly. I'll bet Two Speed knows exactly how to get there, though. He hiked it recently.

Sly
03-19-2007, 17:46
Can't help there, Sly. I'll bet Two Speed knows exactly how to get there, though. He hiked it recently.

Thanks, I'll PM him if he doesn't respond in a couple days.

n2o2diver
03-19-2007, 21:13
I'm meeting them at the Hojo's in Heflin on Friday night. They are having a resupply delivered by a friend there. I missed them at Bull Gap by about 1/2 hour so I drove up FS road 600-1 (thats one bumpy road) and met them at mile 6.6 at the high tension lines with some gatorade. It looks like they are going to have good weather all week. I am going to meet them Friday and hike with them for 4 days, until tuesday anyone else want to join???

Did some trail work with the ATA club on a section north of Salem church road, rerouted some trail and built a bridge. The loggin in the area has really done some damage.

Here is some current info about the trail from the ATA club who maintain the northern most section.

March 17

At the quarterly Alabama Trails Association board meeting it was decided that the southern half of the ATA Section from the High Point Trailhead at mile 126.8, north to the Salem Church Road Crossing at mile 131.8, is now officially closed until further notice due to timber operations in that area.

As of today, the Davis Mountain Shelter, at mile 128.8, is easily accessable from the High Point Trailhead, but beyond there to Salem Church we couldn't find the trail and doubt that you could either.

The logging is still in progress and may continue for a good while. In the mean time we suggest a road walk from the High Point Trailhead to the Salem Church Road Crossing.

Go left from the High Point Trailhead on US 278 for appx. 200 yards to the first paved road on the right, CR 45. Turn right.
Go 0.5 miles to CR 8, just past the Hurricane Creek Bridge. Turn right.
Go 2.1 miles to the Salem Church Road Crossing, just past a yellow gated logging road on the left.
The north trail is on the left.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hopefully this section will be ready to re-open by next hiking season. I'll start posting work dates as soon as we see the logging and re-planting operation come to an end.

Thanks.

Solo

Univega23
03-19-2007, 21:40
I have hiked from the hwy77 trailhead to Heflin. Really good trails most of the way. only problems that we encountered were lots of blowdowns near Heflin. going to go from Heflin to the Ga. line 1st week of April. The best views are on the south side of Cheaha back towards Adams Gap.. Good water, beautiful views.... what more could you ask for. You can go to yahoo groups and have a look at the pics

Sly
03-19-2007, 22:05
I'm meeting them at the Hojo's in Heflin on Friday night. They are having a resupply delivered by a friend there.

This coming Friday night or next (3/30)?

n2o2diver
03-19-2007, 22:50
This Friday the 23rd. We will be at the AHTS conference on the 30th at Cheaha.

Sly
03-19-2007, 22:58
This Friday the 23rd. We will be at the AHTS conference on the 30th at Cheaha.

Ah, now I get it. I won't be in the area until next Monday night or Tuesday. Are they going south?

The Solemates
03-20-2007, 10:36

I was referring to the trail milemarker. The trail crosses I-20 at mm 66.7. You are correct about the exit numbers for Oxford area.

The Solemates
03-20-2007, 10:37
Ah, now I get it. I won't be in the area until next Monday night or Tuesday. Are they going south?

no, they are going north.

Sly
03-20-2007, 10:45
no, they are going north.

Thanks. I'll try to figure out where they'll be. I see road crossings near Grantley and Borden Springs. You wouldn't know the trail mileages from Heflin, would you?

solo
03-20-2007, 10:58
March 17

At the quarterly Alabama Trails Association board meeting it was decided that the southern half of the ATA Section from the High Point Trailhead at mile 126.8, north to the Salem Church Road Crossing at mile 131.8, is now officially closed until further notice due to timber operations in that area.

As of today, the Davis Mountain Shelter, at mile 128.8, is easily accessable from the High Point Trailhead, but beyond there to Salem Church we couldn't find the trail and doubt that you could either.

The logging is still in progress and may continue for a good while. In the mean time we suggest a road walk from the High Point Trailhead to the Salem Church Road Crossing.

Go left from the High Point Trailhead on US 278 for appx. 200 yards to the first paved road on the right, CR 45. Turn right.
Go 0.5 miles to CR 8, just past the Hurricane Creek Bridge. Turn right.
Go 2.1 miles to the Salem Church Road Crossing, just past a yellow gated logging road on the left.
The north trail is on the left.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hopefully this section will be ready to re-open by next hiking season. I'll start posting work dates as soon as we see the logging and re-planting operation come to an end.

Thanks.

MOWGLI
03-20-2007, 11:48
March 17

Solo:

Are they cutting the Longleaf Pine in that area?

jazilla
03-20-2007, 12:37
How good is the resupply for this trail?

The Solemates
03-20-2007, 15:59
Thanks. I'll try to figure out where they'll be. I see road crossings near Grantley and Borden Springs. You wouldn't know the trail mileages from Heflin, would you?

all trail mileages are online. www.hmtc.org includes databook, guidebook ,etc.

Skidsteer
03-20-2007, 17:17
I was referring to the trail milemarker. The trail crosses I-20 at mm 66.7. You are correct about the exit numbers for Oxford area.

Ah. That makes sense.

I drove through there today and as near as I can tell, the trail crosses I-20 on or very near Rt. 281, which is around I-20 mm 196.

Kinda hard to be certain at 75 mph though....

1Pint
03-20-2007, 17:23

SuzyQhoo (she was the star of the SoRuck joke fest IMHO) is driving up the resupply to Wendi & Frosty. I'm sure Two Speed can tell you what it's like for the rest of us since he just did the trail in December if I remember right.

Two Speed
03-20-2007, 21:46

SuzyQhoo (she was the star of the SoRuck joke fest IMHO) is driving up the resupply to Wendi & Frosty. I'm sure Two Speed can tell you what it's like for the rest of us since he just did the trail in December if I remember right.Resupply in Heflin is "rustic." The grocery, BecWayne is OK, but not fancy by any stretch of the imagination. The post office is convenient and a couple of decent places to eat. The HoJo left much to be desired IMHO. All in all, OK.

I think Cave Spring would be much better, at from the lodging standpoint, anyway. Seems like there was a grocery that was pretty handy, and several good restaraunts. Cave Spring is compact compared to Heflin, and probably easier to get around.

I found Solo's 14 day journal (http://www.hmtc.org/the14dayhike.html) very helpful. If you have questions shoot me a PM. Also, Mr. Parkay just completed the Alabama and Georgia sections; might get in touch with him if you want to do detailed planning.

BTW, great hike and great scenery.

n2o2diver
03-22-2007, 21:22
Solo:

Are they cutting the Longleaf Pine in that area?

Looked like mostly all hardwoods.

Frosty
03-26-2007, 10:27
Looked like mostly all hardwoods.What is a killer tree? ALHikerGal and I saw a couple trees with this tape on them. They didn't bother us as we passed by them in the daylight, so I guess they are nocturnal?

I hiked as far as Heflin, and ALHikerGal is going to the end. Talked with you (N2O2) about the clearcut, and I forgot to tell you about Mr Parkay's GPS track, which will re-create the trail very close to it's original location. It will show everywhere he walked, not just a few waypoints.

MOWGLI
03-26-2007, 10:38
I hiked as far as Heflin, and ALHikerGal is going to the end.

How about those watersheds Frosty? Pretty nice, eh? The Alabama Pinhoti south of Heflin is very different than the northern section.

What was your overall impression of the trail?

Regarding the "killer trees", were those standing dead trees?

Cuffs
03-27-2007, 17:35
Well, it was bound to happen... My knee went "bad" at MM 101.8. Im off the trail for a couple days, then heading back out to finish the last 30+ miles.

Not really into making a full report at the moment (still depressed over having to leave the trail...) but I'll get one out once I finish the last bit.

Thanks Sly in at least attempting some trial magic!!! I'll have to return the favor some day! (BTW, I loved my e+lite on this hike!!)

Two Speed
03-27-2007, 17:47
What is a killer tree? ALHikerGal and I saw a couple trees with this tape on them. They didn't bother us as we passed by them in the daylight, so I guess they are nocturnal?Interesting. Don't remember seeing any of that when I was out in December.

Frosty
03-27-2007, 18:51
Interesting. Don't remember seeing any of that when I was out in December.Judging by the date/time stamp of the picture, and my admittedly faulty memory, I put the trees with the tape north of Chandler Gap and south of the last Forest Service Road 600 Crossing before the Rock Garden, somewhere near MM 23.7 or 23.8. I believe it was that south facing slope the trail slabs up on the way up to USFS 600 crossing.

BTW, the Rock Garden was incredible. A couple a miles of loose, tippy rocks and boot-grabbing holes on a steep side slope, often covered with leaves.

Dances with Mice
03-27-2007, 21:09
What is a killer tree? It's flagged for firefighters to let them know that the tree has been weakened and could fall on them. There may be a controlled burn planned in the area soon.

whykickamoocow
03-28-2007, 06:16
It is correct on Solo's site pnrt.net

136.9 from Bull Gap (Sect 9 to the Al ATA section) to Jackson Chapel Rd in Cave Spring. He measured it 2 or 3 time with a walking wheel. The new section 9 and Al ATA sections account for the increased length. Section 10 hasn't been built yet.

Don't forget to download Mr. Parkays maps, they are the be all end all of maps for the Pinhoti, both GA and AL sections. You won't find more comprehensive maps anywhere. They may not be up for long, he said he may be having some problems with National Geographic copyright something or other. http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnsonc80

For anyone thinking about getting the Forrest Service maps, which kinda suck, there are only 5 maps which cover sections 1-8, 2 of the maps covers multiple sections. There are no Forrest Service maps for section 9 or the Al ATA section as of yet.

With regards to the comments "measured it 2 or 3 times with a walking wheel".

The miles quoted in guides and books ect. are they referring to grid distances, i.e. horizontal distances, also known as reduced distances (distances that have been measured directly off a map). Or are they referring to slope distances, someone actually walking along with a trundle wheel.

In areas of significant relief this could make a significant difference, and for distances covering the length of the AT this would only further be exaggerated.

The Solemates
03-28-2007, 10:26
With regards to the comments "measured it 2 or 3 times with a walking wheel".

The miles quoted in guides and books ect. are they referring to grid distances, i.e. horizontal distances, also known as reduced distances (distances that have been measured directly off a map). Or are they referring to slope distances, someone actually walking along with a trundle wheel.

In areas of significant relief this could make a significant difference, and for distances covering the length of the AT this would only further be exaggerated.

with a wheel. most authors of guidebooks have actually walked the trail with a wheel, or get data from someone who has. i know solo has done this for his guidebook of the pinhoti.

1Pint
03-28-2007, 13:17
Well, it was bound to happen... My knee went "bad" at MM 101.8. Im off the trail for a couple days, then heading back out to finish the last 30+ miles.

Not really into making a full report at the moment (still depressed over having to leave the trail...) but I'll get one out once I finish the last bit.

Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope you do heal quickly and can get back out where you love to be. Heard you were taking a ton of great pictures out there. Can't wait to see them!

stuco
04-30-2007, 15:50
I will be attempting to do Bulls gap to heflin AGAIN since my sister and I didn't make it last time. We did 30 miles and foot problems forced us off, mostly because I was hiking in worn out trail runners. I will be going solo this time.

Cuffs
04-30-2007, 17:55
Good luck Stuco! Water is scarce, as usual for the southern end.

I have just again hiked the section from Highpoint/Hwy 278 to Cave Spring ans there have been some additional clear cutting in areas near Salem Church. If you need the info, send me a PM. Its pretty easy to navigate.