PDA

View Full Version : Shock Absorber Hiking staffs

split.arrow
02-21-2007, 18:00
I'm looking for insight into various shock absorber hiking staffs from people who have used more than 2 brands. I've tried Leki and REI and both were great. The price difference was $40 though. I have yet to try Komperdells.:welcome

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-21-2007, 21:46
It doesnt much matter as to which brand you buy as far as what works the best.

Leki is the best buy because its easier to get them fixed along the trail if thruhiking. Also you get a free tune up at Trail Days if you are there.

As for me, I like Carbon Fiber poles because of lightning :) Just kidding, but its a conversation we had today while hiking in a thunderstorm in the GSMNP :) Wow was it thundering and lightning. Finally got a chance to try out my OR Zealot rain Jacket. Killer Jacket !!!

As for the shock thing, I think they make TOO Much noise. I have a pair of Leki's and I hate the noise they make. Keep that in mind.

bigcranky
02-21-2007, 21:52
I've used several Komperdell poles, the ultralight Leki non-anti-shock poles, and the Leki anti-shock poles. The anti-shock poles have one major drawback -- when I slip and fall, I plant my pole to catch myself. On any sort of hard surface -- say, um, rock -- the antishock pole bounces rather than plants, and I can then fall down.

So I leave the anti-shock feature locked all the time. It still makes noise. If I had to do it over again, I would swipe my daughter's UL Leki poles. Hmmm, somebody distract her for a second....

Miner
02-21-2007, 23:07
I have own hiking poles both with and without the anti-shock feature. I have never noticed a difference in how my hands/arms felt (i.e. I never noticed the shock they were supposedly protecting me from). Thus I have concluded that it is a useless marketting feature to justify a higher cost and it adds unwanted extra weight. Maybe others have found it useful, but I have not.

Footslogger
02-21-2007, 23:18
I own Komperdells and Lekis and both have the springs. You could sandblast off the labels and honestly I couldn't tell you the difference.

Another thing I'll tell you is that after a while the novely of turning the springs on/off fades. I have mine set with the springs ON and leave them that way.

My suggestion would be to watch the sales and get a good price. Both Lekis and REI's (Komperdell's) will serve you well. One advantage to Lekis, at least on the AT is that there is a LEKI tent at Trail Days and they will clean and tune up your pole at no charge. Both REI and EMS sell the Komperdell poles under their brand name. That said, if you need repairs along the trail either of those retailers/outfitters can help you out with the Komperdells.

'Slogger

rswanson
02-23-2007, 18:42
I find trekking poles useful for many reasons but I've gotta say that I think the whole antishock idea is a complete gimmick. The amount of travel and shock absorbtion that those mechanisms actually have provides no relief from fatigue, near as I can tell. They only make the pole heavier, more likely to fail, and make a really annoying squeak.

split.arrow
02-23-2007, 18:50
Thanks to all for the Trail Days note and explaining that REI is Komperdell.

Rain Man
02-23-2007, 20:42
My wife and I also have had both Leki's and Komperdells, both anti-shock and "plain."

I agree with all those who said the anti-shock feature is a useless, heavy, noisy marketing gimmick, not to mention one more thing that might break on the trail.

Now I use Leki Makula Titanium (I think that's the right name), and love 'em.

Rain:sunMan

Spork
02-23-2007, 21:13
Here's another vote for squeakless, springless poles! I have used both Leki and Komperdell poles and personally find the locking mechanism on the Leki's easier to work with. I highly recommend the Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo's (AKA Makalu Titanium) at 16 oz per pair and you can still get the 05's at REI Outlet for $65. Guaranteed not to squeak, shriek, screech or squeal...

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/48062100.htm?vcat=OUTLET_SSHP_CAMPING_HIKING_SA

eventidecu
02-24-2007, 02:42
I have only used Leki's and have but hate the shock spring thing. It wears me out faster because you over compensate for the "give" factor when pushing up and while going down the "give" tends to throw me off balance. I keep them turned off but it still gives alittle. One thing I found though is I like the cork handles better, the rubber ones have more friction causing blisters if your not careful and mind-full of it. Next poles I buy will not have springs and cork handles for sure.

freefall
02-24-2007, 03:25
Thanks to all for the Trail Days note and explaining that REI is Komperdell.

On this note, I had to have my REI non-shock poles rebuilt along the trail and the Leki parts all fit. Drawback is neither REI nor Komperdell are at Trail Days.

iliketacos
02-24-2007, 10:47
Is there a poll on this? Shock versus no-schock? My no-shock Leki Makula Tour saved me from doing a rather beautiful face plant on the training trail near my house the other day. The poles planted well as I started to fall and my face stopped a few inches from the trail. My bad. But, I blame my Leki poles for making me go too fast in the first place. Damn my need for speed!!!!! :D

The Lekis I have are a 3 pole system within each pole that has 2 pole points that need to be adjusted/tightened. If I buy another pair after these I will look for poles that have only 1 adjustment point in the pole-a 2 pole system in the individual pole. I've noticed that the 3 pole system loosens up in the pole at some point and I have to spend some time-often on the trail-figuring out what the correct adjustment is for both poles.

I have not thru-hiked the AT yet-but have logged some training miles to let me know that my preference would be for the no-shock poles.

Kerosene
02-24-2007, 14:00
Another vote for springless.

aroth87
02-24-2007, 15:39
I vote springless as well. I have a pair of Leki's w/o anti-shock and my brother has a pair of Komperdell's w/ anti-shock. The only difference I've noticed between them (we switched poles one time, just to see) is that the anti-shock feature just adds weight. I didn't notice any less fatigue at the end of the day and it actually a little annoying having the poles 'give' a little when I put lots of weight on them (like when I stumble and catch myself). I wouldn't waste the money on anti-shock.

Adam

Critterman
02-24-2007, 18:19
I have had 2 pairs of Leki UL with the antishock and I haven't had the problems others describe. The only time they seem to give much is if I am resting and I lean my full weight on they then they give slightly. I have caught my clumsy self a number of times falling without problems. I am not a big person and weigh 165 lbs. and usually dayhiking with 10 lbs or less. Maybe if I was bigger and had a full backpacking load the poles would feel different. The anti-shock system can be locked out if you remove the second section and do a push-turn deal on the top of it.

split.arrow
02-24-2007, 20:13
Wow! Thanks again to all and making great points about overcompensating when using shock absorbers. Any insight into cork or rubber handle preference ?

Critterman
02-26-2007, 16:36
I have the cork and like them. I really think the ergonomical tilted grips are better then the straight handles. They work much better on the downhills. The first pair I bought where straight and I thought the tilted handles were a gimick but after using a borrowed pair with titled handles, I bought a new set. Also the lekis used to come with a right and a left pole. The straps attached differently on each pole but their new ones (2006) don't. If you pull the black pin in the top you can remove the strap and convert it to a left or right and they are more comforable.

split.arrow
02-26-2007, 18:42
Hi and thanks again to everyone. It's funny. I kept thinking good, sturdy sticks just couldn't get the job done on the AT. Who knows? Maybe I should stick with the basics afterall! But thnaks for the curved handle and cork vs. rubber handled response Critterman! I think if I find a decent pair by a reputable brand on sale that I'll pick a pair of cork handled ones up.:welcome

Spork
02-26-2007, 18:51
Hi and thanks again to everyone. It's funny. I kept thinking good, sturdy sticks just couldn't get the job done on the AT. Who knows? Maybe I should stick with the basics afterall! But thnaks for the curved handle and cork vs. rubber handled response Critterman! I think if I find a decent pair by a reputable brand on sale that I'll pick a pair of cork handled ones up.:welcome

split.arrow
I have a pair of slightly used but very good condition Komperdell Trek TIII poles with cork handles that I'd be willing to sell to you at a reasonable price. PM me if you're interested.... Spork

Stonewall
02-26-2007, 22:07
I was just looking at the site where i bought my poles there is a .3 oz difference between the the 2 poles. I spend 10 bucks more for the Anti-shock.

Colter
02-27-2007, 03:06
I am another believer in springless poles.

Kerosene
02-27-2007, 10:57
I have rubber handles on my Leki poles which extend partway down the shaft. I like being able to hold the shaft when climbing a steep uphill to avoid adjusting the poles, but my hands sweat a lot on the rubber so I think I would prefer cork.

juztyn
04-16-2007, 11:43
Just noticed in my walmart the other day that those swiss gear poles they sell now have cork handles. antishock as well. dont really care for it but u cant lose for $20 a pair.

1azarus
04-16-2007, 11:53
... i vote for not adjustable AND not shock absorbing!!! really light ski poles are stronger and lighter.

atraildreamer
04-16-2007, 17:15
As for me, I like Carbon Fiber poles because of lightning :)

Carbon is an excellent conductor of electricity. :eek:

Touch of Grey
04-16-2007, 18:59
Is there a poll on this? Shock versus no-schock? My no-shock Leki Makula Tour saved me from doing a rather beautiful face plant on the training trail near my house the other day. The poles planted well as I started to fall and my face stopped a few inches from the trail. My bad. But, I blame my Leki poles for making me go too fast in the first place. Damn my need for speed!!!!! :D

The Lekis I have are a 3 pole system within each pole that has 2 pole points that need to be adjusted/tightened. If I buy another pair after these I will look for poles that have only 1 adjustment point in the pole-a 2 pole system in the individual pole. I've noticed that the 3 pole system loosens up in the pole at some point and I have to spend some time-often on the trail-figuring out what the correct adjustment is for both poles.

I have not thru-hiked the AT yet-but have logged some training miles to let me know that my preference would be for the no-shock poles.

One thing you may want to pay attention to the next time hiking with your poles is to see if you are twisting them while using them. You will most likely still have the problem even with a two pole system. In other words it may not be the system but your use or application of the system.

Yes I did say twisting them. I watched quite a few people the last couple of weeks on the AT using their poles and they were literally twisting them as they took them out of the place they planted them before the next plant occurred. There were al;so those who would rest and twist their hands to the inside and rest their body or head against the poles for a few seconds and then straighten up and walk on.

All of these movements will eventually loosen or tighten the poles depending on the particular twisting action. Remember 'Righty, Tighty! Lefty, Loosey!'

TOG

greentick
04-17-2007, 01:29
I have REI Peak UL without the shocks - love em.

I had the ones with the shocks initially but I felt as if I was losing efficiency on my up-hill push offs. When I switched to my current poles I did not notice any difference in comfort, up or downhill.

I like the adjustability if I use them as poles for tarping.

capoken
04-17-2007, 02:04
I started with a pair of cheap poles without springs. They were ok, but then I tried my partners with the tilted cork handles and springs. I didn't want to give them back. I like the anti-shock springs and find them very useful on descents. I use my poles as my second set of legs and it keeps a lot of stress of my chest and arms to have the springs. Without springs, every step down a steep decline was jarring my whole body, it's like hiking with worn out boots if they don't have springs. Imagine if your boots had no cushin left in the sole. So while I respect everyone else's opinion, MHO is that anti-shock springs are a great feature. Leki poles are great, but other brands are good too.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-17-2007, 06:05
I have rubber handles on my Leki poles which extend partway down the shaft. I like being able to hold the shaft when climbing a steep uphill to avoid adjusting the poles, but my hands sweat a lot on the rubber so I think I would prefer cork.
I have Komperdells with a similar foam grip. It requires that I take the wrist strap off to lower my grip however.

Outlaw
04-17-2007, 09:14
One thing to consider with cork grips is where you put them at night. My hiking partner had his cork grips all chewed to shreds by a chipmunk who was after the salt from his sweat. Lesson learned, never leave them lying flat or leaning against a lean-to. Either hang them on a nail or a branch or just leave them "stabbed" in the ground.

BrianLe
04-17-2007, 14:37
I like the idea of trying poles with and without shocks and deciding for yourself whether they're worth it. I bought poles for both my wife and I just assuming that anti-shock was a good thing (after all, the manufacturer added it, it must be a valuable feature).

Like Greentick18d, I'm now using the REI carbon fiber poles without anti-shock and I love 'em too --- lighter without any shock absorbers, simpler, just one less dang thing to go wrong or mess with (one set of poles I have offers three different settings in a complicated twist-and-set arrangement ...).

I truly don't miss the anti-shock at all. As I think someone else said, perhaps the difference is in how you use the poles, but I now really prefer a pole that just directly transfers force with me adjusting to that to make the overall walking system work.

OTOH, for those that try both approaches and truly find value in the anti-shock technology, excellent --- another case of YMMV.

JasonS
04-21-2007, 18:11
I currently have a pair of Black Diamond Enduro CF poles and love them. I am definately a fan of the flick lock mechanism. From what I have seen the Alpine CF poles look even better. The carbon fiber does alot to absorb the shocks without the pole feeling springy or the sound that goes along with antishock poles.

Quoddy
04-21-2007, 19:06
After using Leki Super Makalu's (triple spring system) for the past three years I placed a pre-production order with Titanium Goat for their new Adjustable Carbon Fiber poles 6.4 oz per pair.... they should be available within two weeks. I tightened the springs on the Leki's as far as they'd go and still had that mushy feeling when planting them. It's not bad until they are really needed for a quick reaction to stop a slip or fall, then they become a liability.