PDA

View Full Version : Section Hikers -- 2007

kevin
02-22-2007, 00:29
While this year's thrus are double-checking their pack lists, planning their travel arrangements, and counting down the days to start their adventure, I thought it would be good to start a thread for those of us doing the long-term plan. So, to my fellow section hikers -- what are your plans for 2007?

This will be year 4 of my section hike. I am planning to head out sometime in late April to start at Erwin (where I left of last year) and head north for 2-3 weeks. :sun

dperry
02-22-2007, 00:37
Hopefully, two shorties this year--PA 183 to Port Clinton over Memorial Day, then Chester Gap to Sky Meadows sometime in the fall. If all goes well, the first long section next year.

rafe
02-22-2007, 00:52
Knock wood, this is the year I finish the AT. I'm hoping to do a section just under 600 miles, from Lehigh Gap down to that road crossing near Blacksburg, VA where I left the trail in 1990. The plan is to do it in late summer. OTOH, the company I work for is in pretty rough shape these days, so it may happen earlier than that. I've survived two rounds of layoffs so far...

John B
02-22-2007, 08:20
Erwin to Damascus in May is a definite; maybe Damascus to Troutdale later in the summer.

Toolshed
02-22-2007, 08:29
My plans were to pick-up up GA this April and then spend a few weeks between SNP and PenMar, however, Wife with a new job (and now pregnant) has drastically changed my plans for my 5 weeks of vacation.
It looks like I will be combining holiday weekends with some vaction days for only some short 4-5 day trips - Perhaps NY sections or at least MD and WV.
I cannot complain though....Life couldn't be better and the trail is always there.:sun

LIhikers
02-22-2007, 08:39
The wife and I will be going northbound, starting from the road that's south of Upper Goose Pond Cabin. If I remember correctly it's Goose Pond Road. We'll only have a week or maybe two in August, so I won't be able to figure out our ending point until I know how long we'll be out for.

We might also have a week available to us in April and will either revisit a section of trail in NY or NJ or maybe go to NY's Catskill Mountains.

alysheba
02-22-2007, 08:42
(Mega)hurtz and myself (Tealess) will be doing our third section hike this year. We will be starting near Sages Ravine and work our way NOBO for 10 days or so. We’ll certainly get through MA and into VT.

bigcranky
02-22-2007, 08:54
Sam's Gap to Davenport Gap in March, then all I have to do is hike the Smokies and I'll have everything south of I-81 in Virginia. Then I have to start driving north to hike <g>.

adh24
02-22-2007, 09:18
Got PA Route 183 to Swatara Gap (PA section 6) sometime in April. Section 7 Memorial Day (PA). Section 8 Labor Day (PA). Then would love to go back to SNP this fall and do the Central District. If not SNP then would love to do the Cumberland valley in a sort of high class hiking with the wife and stay at a B&B in Boiling Springs.

Sucks the 4th is on Wednesday. My office does give us any other days off. This past year was nice having the 4th on Tuesday and getting monday off as well. Was a nice 4 day weekend.

sourwood
02-22-2007, 09:24
I will return to the lovely state of PA where Lyme disease and a NASTY spider bite sent me home for many weeks last year. I will start at Lehigh Gap and hike North to Moosilauke. Then I will have covered all of the AT. Plan to leave sometime in May. I'm quite interested to see what the trail/woods look like through that stretch of trail.

Julie

Big Dawg
02-22-2007, 09:46
At this point, my next section starts in Erwin,TN heading nobo. Before that, I'll start the trail at Amicalola w/ a friend of mine, Diablo, who is thru-hiking this year. We'll start the approach trail 2/28, and I'll hike to Neels gap, then jump of the trail and head to Erwin to start my next section. Within this trip or maybe a second, my goal is to make it to Kincora by approx 4/11, at which time I'll join my friend on the remaining section to Damascus!! The next "section" will hopefully be this fall. I'll join Diablo a few more times (at least), in Harpers Ferry, and Katahdin. Should be eventful!!! :D

dab48eu
02-22-2007, 10:10
I plan to begin my first section hike on 4/12 at Springer and get off in Franklin, NC. Will proabably do 4 or 5 more days this summer to Fontana and be prepared to do the Smokies next Spring.

Webs
02-22-2007, 10:17
Section hike numero dos will be this summer: Hot Springs to Pearisburg! About 350 miles or so. I'm beyond excited! :sun Til then, I'll be dreaming and planning and waiting.....

iesman69
02-22-2007, 10:20
I've planned my very 1st section hike for this summer(May 26-June 2), and will try to complete the GA section in a week! It's only a section hike, but I'm counting the days!

cowpoke
02-22-2007, 10:33
Planning my first section hike starting Oct 1st at Springer and walking north with the leave color change to Fontana...taking my time...getting to Fontana around the 20th. Cheers.

rainmaker
02-22-2007, 10:35
Madame and I will head out from Harpers Ferry the first of October and finish this years hike at Delaware Water Gap. At least that is the plan. BTW, please note our collective trailname and plan your hike accordingly.

Lyle
02-22-2007, 11:10
Have 16 hiking days at the beginning of May. Will Start at Lehigh Gap, finish at Kent, CT. I will then have completed Damascus to Kent.

In the fall, I hope to come back for about a week and continue north from Kent to ???

Starting next year, I think I will concentrate on picking up the southern section, starting at Springer. I'm saving the North for the end, want to eventually finish on Katadin.

Lyle

wallace
02-22-2007, 11:36
After years of car camping and day hiking, I’m planning my first section hike the last week in May. I’m going to start by doing the length of SNP. I was inspired last year while in the park after having the opportunity to speak with some through and some section hikers. I learned about white blaze in the fall and have been reading ever since. I now have most of my gear but am still trying to decide on foot-ware. I thought I had it nailed but am having second thoughts. I’ve embraced the light concept and expect to be around 20 lbs.

I’m planning on going south through SNP and expect that there should be a good population of throughs in SNP the last week in May. Hope to meet some of you as we pass on the trail.

Alligator
02-22-2007, 12:32
Wawayanda north to CT in June. Southern district of SNP, Northern VA+1/2 MD over some weekends, and hoping for GA, maybe as a week in the fall.

white rabbit
02-22-2007, 12:44
Unicoi Gap to Fontana dam March 31st thru April 7th if I get to go. My wife isn't too happy about me hiking a week alone, eventhough at that time of year I wouldn't be lonely. I will tent every night to avoid the crowded shelters.

cbabs
02-22-2007, 13:26
Starting at Springer May 12 and hiking North until about August 5. Not too sure how far that'll get me, maybe PA? I have to take a break June 9 for a buddies wedding in Cleveland, TN. Just looking to have a good time hiking the summer before I graduate.

hiker33
02-22-2007, 13:36
19E at Elk Park, NC north to Damascus, then another section from Troutdale back to Damascus during spring and summer . In the fall I'll get the Smokies from Newfound Gap to Fontana which will finish everything south of Troutdale. Time permitting I may try for CT and MA this fall, too.

Pennsylvania Rose
02-22-2007, 13:57
My teenagers and I will be hiking over our spring and fall breaks (April and October) like we have for the past couple of years. I'm hoping I can talk my hubby into letting us disappear for a couple of weeks over the summer, too, although we'll have to take the 5 year olds with us then. Not sure where we'll go, except it'll be in the south.

Almost There
02-22-2007, 14:42
Taking a break from the AT this year and am thruhiking the BMT, but I will count the blueblaze thru the smokies towards my AT section hike, I'm blueblazin hiker trash and don't care which way I go, getting to Davenport Gap by foot is getting to Davenport Gap...This will leave me Davenport Gap to Damascus yet to do, Dickey Gap to Pearisburg, and the Tye River to Katahdin.

I just feel like thruhiking something this year and my wife has been understanding enough to agree to let me go off for 3-4 weeks to do so.

Footslogger
02-22-2007, 14:46
BadAss Turtle and I will be hiking Rangeley to Monson in August. Then hopping up to Baxter for one more Katahdin summit. Can't wait !!

'Slogger

Ewker
02-22-2007, 16:44
I have always wanted to thru-hike the AT but that is still 10 yrs away.
I will be doing my 1st true section hike. Going from Springer to Dick Creek Gap. Depending on time I may go on up to NC and then back to DGC just so I can get all of Ga in. If not that is a good place to start the next section.

Lilred
02-22-2007, 16:59
starting in Bland the 1st of June and hiking north for 4 to 5 weeks. This is my fourth year section hiking. Teaching does have it's perks..... :)

GBlaylock
02-22-2007, 17:07
Davenport Gap to Damascus starting the last week in May.

troglobil
02-22-2007, 17:11
I really can't call myself a section hiker. But I do plan to thru hike Georgia this year. Twenty one years ago I did Harpers Ferry to Duncanon. Back in '77 I hiked the Whites. So I guess technically I am sectioning. But my thru will be in eight years.

thecaptain
02-22-2007, 17:37
Lead dog, mother hen, grayhound and I will be doing Deep gap NC to NOC 2nd week of May...

Tumblerisk
02-22-2007, 17:46
I'll be hiking the GA section in late April or late May. This will be my first section besides a few day hikes around Blood Mountain. I'm blocking out 9 days for it. Hopefully I will not need that many.

Lilred
02-22-2007, 19:43
I'll be hiking the GA section in late April or late May. This will be my first section besides a few day hikes around Blood Mountain. I'm blocking out 9 days for it. Hopefully I will not need that many.

Better to have too many days than not enough planned for. Great thread! Gives us an opportunity to see who may be doing sections around the same time.

SergeStorms
02-22-2007, 20:33
My original plan was to hike from Deleware Water Gap to Katahdin this summer, but I may have more time than I expected so I might start in Harper's Ferry and head north.

02-22-2007, 20:50
Davenport Gap north about 70 miles or so. 2 teenagers spending their 4 year hiking over spring break (2nd week of April) with dear old mom and dad. Did the smokies last spring and did not have a cloud in the sky or a rain drop till 1 hour before the end. Never saw but one full shelter, I heard so much about the crowds I was a bit fearing no space, but did not even bring a tent. It was soooooooo niceeeeeeeeee.

Radioactive
02-22-2007, 21:23
I'll be doing my 7th section this summer, Rockfish Gap to at least Pen-Mar, the last two weeks of July and the first week of August. If I find the Shenandoah section easy I may get close to the half-way point. Yea!

Footnotes
02-22-2007, 21:32
I am doing Winding Stair Gap to Damascus starting 4/6. Might keep going when I get to Damascus if I am having fun. That is one of the benefits of being retired.:banana

1azarus
02-22-2007, 21:36
I got to say, it is really wonderful to ask this question at this time, and I thank you, Kevin. I've been somewhat overcome with jeleousy as people start their thru hikes. I did my first "big" section for the year around soruck in January -- unicoi gap to fontana dam, and had such a spectacularly good time... will do 3 day trips closer to home to complete parts of new york and new jersey, as well as mass...then plan on going to the Smokies in September... I hear that is the best (????) time to go if I want ok weather and not a lot of people around. me, I'm on the ten year to completion plan, and enjoying every minute on the trail, and every minute thinking about being on the trail. oh. and hanging out on white blaze. Again, thanks for starting this thread.

rafe
02-22-2007, 21:44
...then plan on going to the Smokies in September... September's a fine time to hike... probably anywhere on the AT. The skeeters and flying bugs are mostly gone, the temperatures generally pleasant, and humidity is low. Shelters are empty. The only minor drawbacks are shorter days and occasional cold rain... and possibly an excess of solitude (if you're the gregarious sort.)

Fly By Mike
02-23-2007, 00:00
Leaving Fontana on Mar 2nd nobo to Newfound Gap. My first hike in the south. I've done all of MA, a few sections in NH and VT and some of the 100 mile wilderness and Katahdin a few times. Am mostly a day hiker with the occassional overnight but this year my son (Mr Happy) is attempting a thru so I'll do a few sections with him. He got off trail for a few weeks to wait out the cold and I'm heading back with him when he gets back on at Fontana next week. Also coming along with us for this section is Domino (AT05) who I met on Katahdin just before he finished in 05. Hope the weather stays warm.

MedicineMan
02-23-2007, 00:32
I see me at Swatara Gap in the near future (March or April) for a 5 day walk, then back to Pa again in April or June for another 5 day round...In June I'm taking my youngest to Mr. Rushmore/Badlands/Theo.Roosevelt/Little Bighorn/etc.....then in July finish off what's left of Pa and enter NJ....In August maybe a 5 day round in NJ. In September it looks like The Ring Road in Iceland, October another 5 days in NJ.......November its Tybee Island for 4star BCU training....next month def. 5 days to paddle around the Land Between the Lakes Peninsula.....never a dull moment :)

pyroman53
02-23-2007, 00:39
MoMan and I will be doing Springer (including Approach) to Unicoi Gap in early September...probably week of the 10th. He's on the 50 year plan (having started back in 1960's) and he's 2/3rds of the way through. I'm just tagging along to make sure he has a good time doing it!

ASUGrad
02-23-2007, 10:34
My son enters Boy Scouts this year. We'll probably do a few sections near home. Pearisburg north perhaps. Maybe Roan Mountain again.

Sarge
02-23-2007, 11:23
Planning on starting from Pa 501 sometime in May heading NOBO to Me. Don't know exact date yet as that will be determined by what day I lose my job and my wife can drive me there.

camich
02-23-2007, 15:25
We're planning on Max Patch to I-40 around April 2nd as a dayhike.

Beginning the last week of May we're starting at Lemon Gap and heading north with our 2 teenage boys for about 3 weeks. Hope to make it up around Damascus.

bigmac_in
02-23-2007, 15:49
A couple short hikes this year (time constraints) to finish up GA and get a good bite on NC. Then maybe polish off NC and GSMNP on a longer hike next year. Of course - if I hit the lottery in the mean time a thru hike will follow immediately. Otherwise the thru will have to wait for retirement I'm afraid.

Chaco Taco
02-23-2007, 21:14
Me (Chaco) and Kytrailman are doing Fontana to Davenport Gap March 8th. Maybe start at Springer in August and move up across the border.
Really pumped about the approaching trip in 12 days.

bigben
02-23-2007, 23:02
Will be hitting the trail at Neel's Gap on 5/14 with 2 friends and ending at Deep Gap on the 19th.

stringbean
02-24-2007, 00:00
my best friend and i are starting at bear mt. in salisbury ct, our home state, and we'll be hiking up to katahdin. leaving june 1st, hopefully we'll be back in 10 weeks. i am very thankful that my employer is giving me the time off to complete this section.

Cosmo
02-26-2007, 21:24
I've got 25 days early July to early August. Thinking about hiking from the ATC Biennial in Ramapo NJ north to home Mass because of easier transpo issues. OTOH, hiking north from Williamstown for 25 days might take me through more interesting territory--if I could find a way to get back to Mass.

Cosmo

Flinx
02-27-2007, 02:09
I plan on my first AT hike at the end of october...will be starting at Amicalola Falls State Park and proceeding to Neels gap....can this be done in 4 days...i'm 41 years old and in fair condition ;)

bfitz
02-27-2007, 02:29
I plan on my first AT hike at the end of october...will be starting at Amicalola Falls State Park and proceeding to Neels gap....can this be done in 4 days...i'm 41 years old and in fair condition ;)

Will you be bringing your mini-drag, pip?

Flinx
02-27-2007, 04:26
Yes...she stays in a sea to summit bag most of the time....i plan on letting her out in the shelters...so beware!!:eek:

tiptoe
03-02-2007, 20:39
Hoping to hike south from CT/NY border to Delaware Water Gap starting mid-June.

Pedaling Fool
03-02-2007, 22:59
Me and my father will be doing the Approach Trail to Damascus in early April. Hope to time it so we arrive for Trail Days. Will be a great tune-up hike for the season - might do some more trails around Northern Va. later in the year.

ASUGrad
03-05-2007, 10:47
Correction. Bland to Pearisburg. I just got a look at the route north of Pearisburg. Yikes. That's some tough hiking.

tagalong hiker
03-05-2007, 10:59
our 4th year out should get us over the 1000 mile mark if all is completed.
leaving in early april from port clinton to the I81 intersection in troutville VA.
Then maybe up north in the fall after we drop our daughter off at college in maine.

Bilko
03-05-2007, 11:06
Are there any section hikers, hiking the trail in continous sections? Like starting at Springer and hiking your section, and the next time out, you start at where you left off? I have been doing this type of hike, hopefully I will be able to continue on from Pearisburg this summer. Bilko

bigben
03-05-2007, 14:42
Yes, that's how I am planning on doing it, but I just started last year and a lot can happen between now and 2028, my estimated year of completion. I do have it all planned and down on paper, so I guess that's a start. The rest is just getting it hiked.

Ewker
03-05-2007, 14:57
Are there any section hikers, hiking the trail in continous sections? Like starting at Springer and hiking your section, and the next time out, you start at where you left off? I have been doing this type of hike, hopefully I will be able to continue on from Pearisburg this summer. Bilko

I am starting this yr (April) to do that. I have hiked various sections of the AT before. I want to thru-hike but I still have to many yrs before that happens

Kerosene
03-05-2007, 15:38
I hope to do a few nights with my 17yo daughter in Grayson Highlands in mid-June, with a few 25-mile day solo hikes wrapped around it to complete the Atkins to Damascus section.

Here's my plan to complete the AT by 2013!

Sept. 2008: Pinkham Notch to Rangeley (99 miles)
Sept. 2009: Deep Gap, NC to Newfound Gap (121 miles)
Sept. 2010: Newfound Gap to Erwin (135 miles)
Sept. 2011: Erwin to Damascus (121 miles)
Sept. 2012: Rangeley to Monson (102 miles)
Sept. 2013: Monson to Katahdin (118 miles)

After that, I hope to head out to hike a few other trails in this great country!

JP
03-05-2007, 16:32
Still up in the air. Maybe 100 Mile wilderness, or NY/NJ line to DWG. Might not have enough vacation this year. But I have everything I need, I'll just have to see what happens and wing it at the last minute.

Lilred
03-05-2007, 16:41

I started in '03 with a one week hike. Since then I've gone out every summer, picking up where I left off. Have done Springer to Bland so far.

kevin
03-05-2007, 20:16

So far that has been my plan of attack (although I did skip the 2nd half of the Smokies due to a combination of going through there on memorial day weekend and having terrible shelter reservations). Also, at some point I may get tempted to jump up north just for variety.

Tin Man
03-05-2007, 20:21
2001 to 2006

Salisbury, CT to Glencliffe, NH

2007 tentative plan...

Glencliffe to Kinsman Notch in the spring
Kinsman Notch to Crawford notch in September

buckowens
03-05-2007, 21:50
I am doing a 14+ day hike this summer with my daughter beginning at Springer. we hope to make it near Clingmans Dome before calling Mom...

Small Steps
03-05-2007, 23:04
Taking off on my first section hike of the AT…..

Heading out of Springer in mid June and heading to Clingmans Dome by early July…… Good Lord willing and I don’t get fired (well if I do then it becomes a SOBO thru hike :banana )

Rain Man
03-06-2007, 16:43

Sure thing. Some might call it a stroll, while others may crawl on their hands and knees, though!

I have a trip report (Springer-to-Neels Gap) in my Trip Reports on here, if you want to read an account. I did the approach trail the following year with my daughter and wonder what all the moaning and groaning is about ... until you see some of the packs some hikers start out with. LOL

Also, I encourage you to contact the Georgia AT Club about trail conditions, water, and general good vibrations. Great, knowledgeable, helpful folks.

Rain:sunMan

norman55
03-06-2007, 17:48
My family and I are taking the leap from day-hikers to backpacking. We are looking at several different sections of the southern AT (NC, TN or VA) and hope to be on the trail late May and into June. Studying the maps, they all look physically challenging. Being a fifty year old flat-lander form the Gulf Coast in average Condition - I was wondering if I might get some training advise.

I would really appreciate some pointer from those who have gone before.

Sambeaux

kevin
03-06-2007, 21:22
My family and I are taking the leap from day-hikers to backpacking. We are looking at several different sections of the southern AT (NC, TN or VA) and hope to be on the trail late May and into June. Studying the maps, they all look physically challenging. Being a fifty year old flat-lander form the Gulf Coast in average Condition - I was wondering if I might get some training advise.

Sambeaux

The best training advice I can give is two-fold. First, I am also a flatlander -- in that the nearest trails with significant hills (nothing near the climbs on the AT) are about a two hour drive. That makes it pretty tough to mimic trail conditions. However, the best way to train for carrying around a backpack is to carry around a backpack. Try to get out in the neighborhood for a few miles on a regular basis walking around with a full pack (always good to get the neighbors wondering about your sanity :banana ). Might not even be a bad idea to carry around a little more weight than you plan to carry on the trail. Try to get in some longer trips if you have time on a weekend or if you can find some decent climbs anywhere in the area, that is also recommended.

Second, don't kill yourself by planning big miles when you get out there. As a once-a-year section hiker who gets way too soft between trips, I always find the trail kicking my butt the first couple days. Generally about a week into it, the trail legs start to kick in a little. Depending on how long you are going to be out, you can then start picking up the miles a bit after the first few days. However, in my experience, days 2 and 3 are the hardest because you probably didn't sleep quite as well as at home the first night or two AND the first day you are rarin' to go as you have been planning the trip for so long. So, plan an easy day on day 2 or 3 and relax a bit around camp.

Kerosene
03-06-2007, 21:57
...plan an easy day on day 2 or 3 and relax a bit around camp.Unless you're in really good shape and have a good sense of the "rhythm" of backpacking you might also think about taking a zero or near-zero (nero) day on Day 4 or 5.

Gaiter
03-07-2007, 00:09
I don't know if i'll be able to go out for a section this summer: my mother and I have a bet going: who ever looses the most weight by my early june graduation wins (I'm definatly finishing this year!!!) So if she wins, I have to wash all the windows in her house, inside and out, and paint the bathroom (old house= really big windows & really tall ceilings) But if I win I get to go hiking for a month on her, no expenses for me!!!!

So far I'm winning, I got a membership to a ymca, and i go every day. she hasn't lost a single lb.

If i do win and i don't have a job yet to delay the hike, I'll start where i ended last summer, just south of snp, and go north or i'll start where i started last summer, sam's gap, and head south.

Small Steps
03-07-2007, 00:34

Sambeaux

My recommendation would be to start at the top of Roan Mountain and go north. About 15 years ago I did this with about twenty 12-15 year old kids as a camp councilor. This was a pretty easy hike in that most of it was either down hill or flat.

I am sure other people will have different ideas.

cutman11
03-07-2007, 02:06

Yep I am, and have plans to continue northward from Palmerton PA to Port Jervis last week of april, then return to continue to Kent, CT starting around labor day weekend.

Shiraz-mataz
03-07-2007, 07:28
I'm going to do the Maryland section from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry the first week of April. Going with a buddy from work who is from the area. Look for us!

sparky2000
03-07-2007, 07:57
SOBO fm Harpers Ferry on Apr 10 to Hot Springs on about 20 May. Looking forward to the snow and views. Then SOBO from the big K down to Hudson River to complete my 3 yr. thru.

Cosmo Rules
03-08-2007, 22:17
K-N and I will complete Massachusetts next month when we hike from Sages Ravine to Goose Pond. In September we start on New Hampshire.
Any suggestions as to where to stay, and drink, in Great Barrington?

rafe
03-08-2007, 22:26
Any suggestions as to where to stay, and drink, in Great Barrington?

IIRC, most of the decent-looking motels were north of the town center. Very little between the AT trailhead and town center... or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

ASUGrad
03-09-2007, 10:09
We'll be hiking the Dismal Creek area this weekend, just to check things out.

Cosmo
03-09-2007, 13:04
Monumen Mountain Hotel is on Rt 7 north of the junction with 23. Day's inn is on Rt 7 just south of the center of town (about 1.5 miles closer to trail). For drinking, the Barrington Brewery, a little further north of the Monument Mountain on Rt 7.

Cosmo

IIRC, most of the decent-looking motels were north of the town center. Very little between the AT trailhead and town center... or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Rhettamus
03-09-2007, 13:52
I attempted deep gap to fontana in jan but got food poisining from some strange jerky, but i will attempt it again this summer.

dannybuzzell
03-09-2007, 14:14
My sections began almost as an afterthought. While hiking and finishing the 48 4000'rs in the Whites I encountered thru hikers from time to time. I eventually looked at a map and realized that with a few overnights I could piece together all of the White Mtn. section. Having done that, I tasted a little Springer fever and managed to go south last April and do Springer to NOC. This summer I stayed local and completed the Massachusetts section and connected the dots from the Whites to Hanover.
Now I'm planning to return to the NOC this June and get to Damascus. Later in the summer, I'll stay local again and perhaps do Connecticut or portions of Vermont. I will save Maine for last and finish with at least the appearance of a thru. dan b.

rastasmurf
03-09-2007, 14:29
Planning my first section hike for a week in July. I am an experienced trekker but I will be trying this with my "fit" 70 year old uncle and 4 teenage nephews. Any recomendations on a good week-long Section somewhere between MD & MA?

dannybuzzell
03-09-2007, 14:44
Even though I'm from Mass, I thought the Mass section to be a nice variety of terrain and experiences. I did it in early July so bugs were an occasional hassle; however, Upper Goose Pond cabin, hiking out of the woods into Dalton and Cheshire, and climbing Mt. Greylock were nice changes from the scrambling in the Whites. I endorse this section for a week or so.
dan b.

no_granola
03-09-2007, 16:30
Blackburn Center to South of Shenandoah--starting out Memorial Day Weekend.

Maybe doing the 100-mile in September or Mass and a chunk of VT.

Newb
03-09-2007, 16:33
Springer to North Carolina border in mid to late April. Then Trail Days for 3 days, then some 3 day weekends throughout the summer in the Shenandoahs.

k-n
03-09-2007, 20:57
finishing up mass. from ct to goose pond in april gonna start to tackle nh in september.

Hitch
03-09-2007, 21:32
Cornwall Bridge,Ct. to Rutland, Vt. in July.

visionrider
03-10-2007, 20:54
I'm planning my first section hike, Leaving Springer April 12th and hoping to make it to Damascus by the middle of May.

rafe
03-10-2007, 21:00
I'm planning my first section hike, Leaving Springer April 12th and hoping to make it to Damascus by the middle of May.

That's moving pretty fast, there... by terrapin standards, at least. Especially right out of the starting gate.

Tumblerisk
04-22-2007, 23:49
I'll be attempting to cover Georgia NOBO from FS42 parking lot to the GA/NC border starting on Saturday May 19th. Does anyone else have similar plans?

Also looking for advice regarding shuttling from others who have done the same section. Currently the plan is to leave a car at Blue Ridge Gap then have my wife drop me at FS42. However, I'm wondering if Hiker Hostel or any simial establishments would perform a similar service so I wouldn't be dragging my wife and two toddlers all over creation. Please throw any ideas or offers of service (I'll pay of course) my way!

Thanks,
TR

Matteroo
04-23-2007, 00:04
I'll be starting as a long section hiker in two weeks exactly! (very excited!!!). Starting around the Roanoke, VA, area. My girlfriend started at Springer March 11th, and moseyed into Damascus at 11am this morning. So, we'll see where she gets by the afternoon-evening of May 6th. Once I join her, it will be till Katahdin. One step at a time until Katahdin. Thereupon, we will most likely have the financial and time resources available to go back and hike the ~600 miles I missed. Thus, doing that is entirely dependant upon our will, interest, and physical state. Cross that bridge when we get to it-but-there is the possibility I will be a class of 2007 thru. Until then, shooting for being a huge section hiker :P

DawnTreader
04-23-2007, 10:49
Gorham NH - Dalton Mass. starting may 31st...
Good luck to all this season.. hope to see you everyone out there!

BobbyNoel
04-23-2007, 11:22
I'll be attempting to cover Georgia NOBO from FS42 parking lot to the GA/NC border starting on Saturday May 19th. Does anyone else have similar plans?

Also looking for advice regarding shuttling from others who have done the same section. Currently the plan is to leave a car at Blue Ridge Gap then have my wife drop me at FS42. However, I'm wondering if Hiker Hostel or any simial establishments would perform a similar service so I wouldn't be dragging my wife and two toddlers all over creation. Please throw any ideas or offers of service (I'll pay of course) my way!

Thanks,
TR

I had hoped to start the same trip around the 5th of May but my plans may change, you're welcome to send me an emial, maybe we can talk.

Rob [email protected]

bigben
04-24-2007, 12:11
I'm doing Neel's Gap to Standing Indian campground (via Kimsey Creek trail) May 15-20th.

Jaybird
04-24-2007, 12:36
While this year's thrus are double-checking their pack lists, planning their travel arrangements, and counting down the days to start their adventure, I thought it would be good to start a thread for those of us doing the long-term plan. So, to my fellow section hikers -- what are your plans for 2007?........

check it out:

"Jaybird's 2007 hike plans" (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23930)