PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the AT

Lilred
08-01-2003, 20:00
In all the reading of forums and journals, I have yet to come across anyone mentioning fishing while on the AT. Aside from getting the regular licenses, are there any requirements to fishing on the AT? Is it even allowed?? Seems it wouldn't be too much trouble to bring along a little fishing line and a fly. Surely the AT passes by some good fishing holes. If anyone has any info on this please pass it on.

Thanks

stormin norman
08-01-2003, 20:11
Lilredmg,

I believe the only requirement is a fishing license from the state you are fishing in. Some states offer a short term license (3-7 days?) for people who are in state fishing on vacation. I met a guy a few years back who was thru hiking and was planning to fish at some spots along the way. Also, there are a few spots along the way where you can get some good fishing in. Hope this helps.

B Thrash
08-01-2003, 20:25
If you wanted to stay with in the law and buy a non-residence license in every state that you went through and wanted to carry a fishing rod with you I see nothing wrong with it. You could even go frog gigging in the Punch Bowl if you had your gig with you. As far as carrying a fishing pole I have seen hikers carrying everything that can be though of, banjos, tuba's, very large knives hanging on their sides, tv's, radio's, computers, not to mention hundreds of cell phones. You do what you want to do that is your business.

He who lies on the ground cannot fall down from it

kevin
08-01-2003, 23:48
Here is a thread from over at trialforums a few months ago on fishing.

http://www.trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=detail&PostNum=929&Thread=1&roomID=7&entryID=5905

Lilred
08-02-2003, 01:18
thanks Kevin. Lots of good info there. Maybe I'll just wait till I get to the lakes up north.

Youngblood
08-02-2003, 08:06
Originally posted by Lilredmg
In all the reading of forums and journals, I have yet to come across anyone mentioning fishing while on the AT.
Thanks

Most thru-hikers don't figure they have time for fishing.

Youngblood

Presto
08-04-2003, 13:47
I am an avid fisher and wondered if I would regret not bringing a pole. Overall I was happy with my decision to not fish the AT as there were not many opportunities along the trail. That being said - if I do it again I will get a license in Maine and carry a pole through the last stretch of AT to Katahdin.