PDA

View Full Version : Total Lunar eclipse, Mar. 3, Moonrise

Earl Grey
02-22-2007, 00:39
This eclipse will have already started as the sun is setting and the moon is rising. Look to the east(if youre in eastern US) to see it. This coincides with my planned hike to Shining Rock and I think this night I will try to camp on one of the balds to see the moon rising at the horizon where it will be red. Hope that doesnt make the crazy animals come out. :-?

Blissful
02-22-2007, 00:42
I'll be at Woods Hole shelter then. Maybe I should climb Blood Mtn to see it!

Toolshed
02-22-2007, 07:56
Thanks for the heads up!!

Nightwalker
02-25-2007, 15:46
This eclipse will have already started as the sun is setting and the moon is rising. Look to the east(if youre in eastern US) to see it. This coincides with my planned hike to Shining Rock and I think this night I will try to camp on one of the balds to see the moon rising at the horizon where it will be red. Hope that doesnt make the crazy animals come out. :-?

Plan Ahead: Total Lunar Eclipse March 3

Soon after sunset on Saturday evening, March 3, skywatchers in eastern North America can watch the rising full Moon undergoing its first total eclipse in nearly 2-½ years.

In Europe and Africa the eclipse takes place late at night high in a dark sky.

For North Americans, the farther east you are the better. The eclipse will already be in progress when the Sun sets and the Moon rises, two events that happen almost simultaneously on a lunar eclipse night. (Full article by Joe Rao at Space.com (http://www.space.com/070209_ns_lunar_eclipse.html).)

GlazeDog
02-25-2007, 21:49
Can I plan a trip in a week? Yes, yes!! it must be done--that eclipse sounds too good.

GlazeDog

freefall
02-26-2007, 01:13

S
For North Americans, the farther east you are the better. The eclipse will already be in progress when the Sun sets and the Moon rises, two events that happen almost simultaneously on a lunar eclipse night. (Full article by Joe Rao at Space.com (http://www.space.com/070209_ns_lunar_eclipse.html).)

Thanks for the info!

I'm heading east from CO to visit family that weekend. Will be in VA Beach area for the eclipse. Great coincidence.

The Solemates
02-26-2007, 10:42
We'll be in the Smokies. Gotta get to Mt Cammerer firetower!

Krewzer
02-26-2007, 23:20

For North Americans, the farther east you are the better. (Full article by Joe Rao at Space.com (http://www.space.com/070209_ns_lunar_eclipse.html).)

East!! Great, I'm on Cape Hatteras.

Sounds like a "fire on the beach night" here on the Sea side of the Mountains to Sea Trail.

Thanks for the info.

Earl Grey
02-27-2007, 00:31
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=GSP&llon=-82.982083&rlon=-82.069583&tlat=36.072917&blat=35.162917&smap=1&mp=1&map.x=38&map.y=185

Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 30%

:(

peanuts
02-27-2007, 00:53
would i be able to see it in the georgia mountains? or do i have to drive to savanah!

tiamalle
02-27-2007, 22:57

Soon after sunset on Saturday evening, March 3, skywatchers in eastern North America can watch the rising full Moon undergoing its first total eclipse in nearly 2-½ years.

In Europe and Africa the eclipse takes place late at night high in a dark sky.

For North Americans, the farther east you are the better. The eclipse will already be in progress when the Sun sets and the Moon rises, two events that happen almost simultaneously on a lunar eclipse night. (Full article by Joe Rao at Space.com (http://www.space.com/070209_ns_lunar_eclipse.html).)here is another link and there is going to be a partial eclipse of the sun March 19th http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/OH2007.html#2007Mar03T

Chaco Taco
03-03-2007, 21:57
Did anyone get any pics of it. I know it happened like an hour ago but figured there was a link out there

TJ aka Teej
03-03-2007, 22:03
Was too cloudy here on the NH/MA border.

hillsidedigger
03-03-2007, 22:07
Only mental pics.

i was working outside and kept an eye to the east after the sunset. Cool.

Krewzer
03-03-2007, 22:19
Missed it. Clouds moved in about three this afternoon. Bummer......

Ewker
03-03-2007, 22:24
Krewzer, same thing here :(

littlelaurel59
03-03-2007, 22:31
Way cool. My son and I drove out away from city trees and buildings to get a good easterly view. We sat and waited, looking for the moon to rise. Suddenly, I realized it was ALREADY risen- just a pale disc in the darkening sky. Very different from the eclipses I have viewed when it was late at night.

smokymtnsteve
03-03-2007, 23:25
We'll be in the Smokies. Gotta get to Mt Cammerer firetower!

ah should be a beautiful view....

guess you'll be doing some night hiking after the moon rise and eclipse..

are do u break the rules in the smokies?;)

btw the eclipse is not visible from Alaska dang it:mad:

OrionTheRanger
03-04-2007, 11:26
Aww, I missed it. Too bad. I have always felt some strange connection to the Moon. I always seem to get more energy when the moon is Full or close to being Full. Not sure why. I suspect it is some sort of phycological thing.

Marta
03-04-2007, 18:49
I was camped at Carter Gap Shelter with my #2 son, Forrest. We had to walk about a mile NOBO on the Trail to get a good view of the moon. I snapped some pix. Haven't checked them out yet. (We got home just a bit ago--I haven't unpacked yet.) It was wicked cold last night--20 degrees in the shelter, and windy--water bottles froze solid--so I'm glad I didn't follow through on plans to camp up on some high place, like Standing Indian Mtn.

Marta/Five-Leaf

The Solemates
03-05-2007, 11:30
ah should be a beautiful view....

guess you'll be doing some night hiking after the moon rise and eclipse..

are do u break the rules in the smokies?;)

btw the eclipse is not visible from Alaska dang it:mad:

didnt get to see it. we were in a snowstorm all night. couldnt see more than a few hundred feet.

smokymtnsteve
03-09-2007, 18:36
if been stuck in a snowstorm at the tower also..hope u used it as an emergency shelter;)

freefall
03-09-2007, 23:23
I was sitting on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay watching the eclipse the whole way through. Clouds blocked the beginning but cleared by the time it was at around 30-40%. For us, it wasn't as spectacular as the ones I've seen in the past but was great to watch anyhow. Great pictures floating around the web shot in Europe.