PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use as a pillow?

Bear the Dog
02-22-2007, 07:04
If sleeping in all your clothes to increase warmth in your sleep system what insulates your legs and head for a pillow?

fonsie
02-22-2007, 07:19
I put my down jacket at my feet. Then I put my fleece jacketunder my head.

Jaybird
02-22-2007, 07:24
If sleeping in all your clothes to increase warmth in your sleep system what insulates your legs and head for a pillow?

there's several brands of lightweight under-garments ("long-johns") out there made of silk, or cotton, or poly-blend to keep you a bit warmer.

i use my pack stuffed with clothing for my pillow.:D

GOOD LUCK w/ your hike!

Bear the Dog
02-22-2007, 07:35
Thanks for the response. I use all my clothes so I can use a lighter quilt. I don't have anything left for a pillow. I did use my new Balance 809s as a pillow and it seemed ok. I was thinking of using my 2 liter platty with air in it as a pillow.

MedicineMan
02-22-2007, 07:44
some of us use water wings that are split,,,works especially good in a hammmock.

swift
02-22-2007, 07:49
Exactly, a 2 liter platy UNDER the thermarest make a great pillow and it keeps the water from freezing overnight. Also handy if you want to take a drink during the night, just make sure you have a shutoff for the bite valve so you dont accidentally soak the tent during the night

Bear the Dog
02-22-2007, 08:31
I tried it with water at home and seemed good on top of my running shoes. Just didn't want it to get me cold. I would of had a bivy bag and my beenie over it so it might of been ok.

Footslogger
02-22-2007, 09:30
I generally use my primaloft pullover. It packs into its own pocket and forms a perfect pillow. If it's cold and I end up wearing the pullover to sleep in I just use my clothes bag.

'Slogger

headchange4u
02-22-2007, 09:35
I made a silnylon stuff sack that is lined with fleece. I use the bag to store my stove, cook pot, and other kitchen items. At night I turn the bag inside out so the fleece is on the outside and stuff it with clothing. Instant pillow.

rafe
02-22-2007, 09:40
My pillow is the stuff sack holding my clothes.

Bear the Dog
02-22-2007, 09:53
But what if you are wearing all your clothes?

rafe
02-22-2007, 10:00
But what if you are wearing all your clothes?

I carry more clothes than I could possibly wear sleeping, especially in summer. In general I sleep as close to nekkid as I can, considering the weather.

superman
02-22-2007, 10:38
I can sleep without a pillow just fine. The only exception is in the shelters. One of many reasons I avoid them is that my sinuses lock right up. The only way I can breath is to raise my head and sleep on my back. That also makes me snore which is yet another reason for me to avoid shelters.:clap

Chris_Asheville
02-22-2007, 10:42
I have a $4 pillow from Dick's that works great. It's in the camping section. It has a zipper so you can take the stuffing out and carry only the cover, then once you camp, you can stuff a t-shirt inside.

Gray Blazer
02-22-2007, 11:35
For a pillow I use, are you ready for this....a pillow. I have a hard time falling asleep and I need comfort. I used to bring my foam rubber pillow from my bed. I would bind it up with cord to make it pack smaller. My mother-in-law made a pillow with some really lite weight fluff so now I use it. I also use a self-inflating Everest air mattress. It's big, but man is it comfortable. No root problem and no being a bear pinata for me.

PJ 2005
02-22-2007, 11:36
I never wear my precip while in the bag, so I use that.

mountain squid
02-22-2007, 12:00
I also use a pillow. Light weight (4oz), inflatable that I got at MRO in Damascus. I also shove my Waldies under my sleeping pad at the head.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

lvleph
02-22-2007, 12:10
I have used my backpack, stuff sack with any clothes, shoes, or nothing.

Old Grouse
02-22-2007, 12:15
Several decades ago in my soldiering days I could sleep anywhere - in the rain with a rock for a pillow, etc., as long as I took my durn boots off! Now that I'm old & grouchy, I need something soft. A stuffsack with any extra clothing will do, but that Micropuff jacket is heavenly.

Frosty
02-22-2007, 12:17
weighs 0.5 ounces and is very comfy. Perfect for side sleepers who need to support their heads

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/flexair_ultralight_pillow.html

saimyoji
02-22-2007, 12:21
If its warm enough, I roll up my fleece and stuff it into the sleeve, makes a great pillow. When its cold my SB has enough loftand extra room to be able to bunch up under my ear for a pillow, or I'll just cross my arms and use my bicep as a pillow....;)

doodah man
02-22-2007, 12:25

Bear,
For years, I used whatever was left in my pack in a stuff sack. (any clothing not on, shoes, first-aid kit, etc.). Now that I am a bit older, I can't sleep that way so I got a 15L WXtex Pneumo LTW Dry Bag. It is not light (a little over 4 ounces), but it does double duty because I keep my down sleeping bag, silk bag liner, down sweater, and sleeping socks in there during the day while hiking. It has a valve similar to a thermarest so it can be inflated when empty for a pillow and in the stuff sack mode it is a compression bag (squeeze the air out and close the valve). Also, when the pack is not full just before a re-supply, it can be inflated to 'fill-up' the pack so the pack rides nice. Got it on sale at REI for around $20. I have tried several of the light weight options similar to the water-wing suggestion and the little filling straw is a pain, they and not easy to get the air out, and they are not very durable. The LTW Dry Bag is pretty bomber. doodah-man

Spork
02-22-2007, 12:32
If you carry a ziploc freezer bag you can easily make a pillow by sealing most of the bag, blowing in some air and pinching it closed. A 1 gallon freezer bag 3/4 filled with air makes a dandy soft pillow, and most times will hold air throughout the night, and I always carry a few ziplocs if I find a leaker. I happen to also carry one of those thermarest stuff sacks with fleece on the inside and so I just slip the ziploc bag right inside. HEAVENLY!

Bear the Dog
02-22-2007, 13:02
I used cheap zip locks in the past and found they also kept air nicely.

toddhiker
02-22-2007, 19:08
I bought one of these locally (WallyWorld? -- Can't remember)

http://www.ekitchengadgets.com/satrpiwipism.html?CS_001=5&CS_002=21&CS_010=36-Samsonite%20Travel%20Pillow%20With%20Pouch%20SM621 0CG

When on the ground, I lay it flat w/the open end at the top of my head. Only partially inflated. Supports my neck great, and is fuzzy on the outside.

When in my hammock, it works great the same way, but w/less air.

Jim Adams
02-22-2007, 19:12
well...since the cat died....

Bloodroot
02-22-2007, 19:14
I use my stuff sack that carries my clothes in it.

The Weasel
02-22-2007, 19:29

By the time I have my shelter/clothing out of my pack and on, and my food bag hung and stove over in the cooking area, there's not much left in my pack. I pull it over my sleeping bag as a semi bivy. As for pillow for my head, i put something small under my neck (3" log) and am perfectly comfy. Sort of like Egyptian neck rests.

The Weasel

soulrebel
02-22-2007, 21:26
I've used an 1/2 an inflatable water wing which is ok, my down jacket is even better, but I don't always carry that.

Most of the time I use nothing or my foodbag-if it's not under my feet.

Bravo
02-22-2007, 21:35
I use a small camp pillow from REI. There's nothing like a good night sleepzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

oliander
02-26-2007, 18:13
Consider using your pack as a sort of bolster under your knees.

For me, this accomplishes a few things.

Legs are now largely off the ground, and thus better insulated (warmer).

Hips and lower back feel more comfortable.

Legs are somewhat more 'recovered' the next morning. (In fact, bolster-under-the-knees is a well known yoga pose intended precisely for this - leg recovery via blood flow back to the torso).

I no longer have to find a place to cram my backpack inside the tent.

Try it!

Cheesewhiz
02-26-2007, 18:44
I have used in the past, a box-o-wine bladder. wash it out after initial use and inflate when in camp

Cheesewhiz
02-26-2007, 18:46
but now that when solo'ing it I am a 100% HAMMOCKER I NO LONGER NEED A PILLOW.

THANKS JACKS
XOXOXO

Cheesewhiz
02-26-2007, 18:46
but now that when solo'ing it I am a 100% HAMMOCKER I NO LONGER NEED A PILLOW.

THANKS JACKS
XOXOXO

hammock engineer
02-27-2007, 00:16
There is what I use. A piece of walmart fleece with noseeum sewn on the bottom. Comes in at 1.5 oz. This way I can throw it into the lundry with the rest of my clothes. I just put a shirt or something soft in it. My clothes stuff sack gor under/inbetween my knees.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/FleecePillowBackView.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/FleecePillowTopView.jpg

K0OPG
02-28-2007, 08:27
My wife's big, firm and plump grapefruits that she gave me when I left. What?? What did you think I was going to say???

Critterman
02-28-2007, 14:37
For a pillow I use, are you ready for this....a pillow. I have a hard time falling asleep and I need comfort. I used to bring my foam rubber pillow from my bed. I would bind it up with cord to make it pack smaller. My mother-in-law made a pillow with some really lite weight fluff so now I use it. I also use a self-inflating Everest air mattress. It's big, but man is it comfortable. No root problem and no being a bear pinata for me.

I am like you. I got a cheap Wally World egg crate foam pillow and cut a piece about 10" by 8" and I sleep like a baby. It weighs about 4 oz and rolls up fairly small for the pack but makes all the diffence.

Kerosene
02-28-2007, 16:01
I use an half of a pair of kid's inflatable water wings ($0.99 at Wal-Mart). Weight of 0.5 ounces. It's more comfortable if I wrap it in my fleece though.

zelph
03-01-2007, 00:25
1" thick memory foam. 7" X 7" square

Baum Trigger
03-01-2007, 00:39
My pillow progressivley gets warmer and softer throughout the night while staying in a shelter. Smashed up mice in a bag work well on those cold winter nights. Watchout for teeth and claws!

RAT
03-01-2007, 02:25
I use the nearest petite female hiker ;) Hiking dogs work well too !

RAT

doggiebag
03-01-2007, 04:00

Now that is funny. Disturbing :eek: ... but funny :)

Disney
03-01-2007, 08:18
I got a stuff sack with a soft inner lining so you can turn it inside out. When I wore all my clothes, or near enough to not make any difference as a pillow, I put my boots under my bedroll, put my tiny sack with underwear, socks, and a T shirt on top of the bedroll, on top of the boots. Worked great for me.

Bear the Dog
03-01-2007, 15:44
I will try using my platapus water bab next time on top of my shoes.

LIhikers
03-01-2007, 16:15
My wife and I use the inflatable water wings like Medicineman mentioned. The wife made pillow cases for them from an old flannel shirt that was headed for the rag bag.

ScottP
03-01-2007, 17:26
my food bag

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 20:09
For a pillow I use, are you ready for this....a pillow.

Yay for people who actually use pillows!

Oh my god, Geek. I can't describe to you how hard I laughed when I read this.

I usually sleep with my legs up on my pack and my head on the nearest side-sleepers butt. Unless it's bfitz, 'cause he's kinda gassy.

Spirit4u
03-02-2007, 22:28
I use a luxury lite pillow. It weighs 5 ounces and is big. It has a thin lower of foam and an air chamber that you blow up with a straw. Search for luxury lite pillow in google. Awesome!

vaporjourney
03-03-2007, 22:44
I've used a few things in the past (down vest, stuff sack filled w/ clothes, water wings), and now have settled into using my Platy water bladder. This is especially helpful in the winter, just filter a couple of liters of water, and it won't freeze overnight, so you don't have to do something else in the morning. The only problem i got is that my bladder sprung a leak near the spout, and I'm worried that this may have been caused by using it as a pillow when filled with water. I'm going to try experimenting with using less water next time. I really like not having to carry something extra to use.

Using clothing works really well, and is possibly more comfy, but all of my clothing is typically worn so i can carry a lightweight quilt...

Bear the Dog
03-04-2007, 05:02
That sounds like me too. I carry a light (19) oz 30 F fanatic fringe quilt. Sleep in almost all my clothes but my wind shirt. Golite helios 3.5 oz. which is not enough for a pillow.

aaroniguana
03-07-2007, 16:15
I sleep in my polypro thermals and stuff my fleece top in the unzipped leg of my convertible pants. Expect in summer when everything (except my polypros, my running shorts and tec-tee) are bounced, then I stuff whatever I can in my sleeping bag stuffsack. If I can't find a second use for something I usually ditch it.

maxNcathy
03-07-2007, 19:13
My wife made a pillow cover about 10x8 inches. I will put moss or leaves or sand or roll of toilet paper or stinky socks or dead mice and dog fur... in a zip lock bag inside the pillow case if I have to use ALL my clothing to stay warm.

Sandalwood

Quoddy
03-07-2007, 19:39
I use a Granite Gear Dreamsack. Just like their small stuff sacks with one side (about 40%) fleece covered. I use it as a stuff sack for small items while hiking, and stuff it with clothes, etc. at night. 360 cu in / 57 grams.

the Comet
04-12-2007, 16:04
If it's cold and I'm wearing everything, I do what others have mentioned...my pack goes under my legs and Platy (with shutoff valve!) under my head. If extra "height" is needed such as when side sleeping, the trail runners get thrown in a stuff sack and arranged under there as well.

flyfisher
04-12-2007, 16:14
When all my clothes are being used to keep me warm, and I am sleeping flat, I sometimes have put my pack into my clothes stuff sack. That works pretty well. Except that I sometimes use the pack as insultion under my legs. I have also put my cookpot under a pair of gloves. If I really got desperate, I would use the cookpot or a piece of wood and put some leaves in my empty clothes stuff sack as something to soften the pot or log. I have not done that yet.

Skidsteer
04-12-2007, 17:44
I used a Nalgene once on a cold night when I was wearing all my clothing. It's actually more comfortable than it sounds.

Smile
04-12-2007, 17:49
Anything I don't have on in a silnylon bag and a strategically placed arm.

mweinstone
04-12-2007, 19:09
i can rest on boots or pack or even rock if i must. and no pillows is fine too. my 6 litre msr dromedary goes under my knees.but i stopped putting it under my pad and now put it only between pad and bag. this works better and is way safer both for freezing and breakage. try it. trust me , you wont go back. its softer and beter that way.

Smile
04-13-2007, 07:20
Lots of creative ideas on this thread! Some I had not heard of.
:)
Sometimes its so cool to learn stuff here on WB!

Gray Blazer
04-13-2007, 09:35
Dick's Sporting Goods in Atlanta, across from REI and located in the Mall of Georgia, had a large bin of camping pillows that were discounted. All kinds. I got one and it was really nice. A pillow can take up a lot of room in your backpack. When I pack it up in the morning, I bind it with some twine to make it smaller. I guess a compression sack would make it even smaller, but since I'm a dirtbagger, I have none of those.

frieden
04-13-2007, 10:39
I've been pulling Ed's winter coat out with his comb, and putting it outside for animal nesting material. This stuff is so light, soft, fluffy....reminds me of a down pillow.....Hmmmm.....:-?

Smile
04-13-2007, 10:42
I have a friend who actually spins yarn from dog and long cat hair.....not my cup of tea, but interesting nonetheless!

Gray Blazer
04-13-2007, 10:45
I've been pulling Ed's winter coat out with his comb, and putting it outside for animal nesting material. This stuff is so light, soft, fluffy....reminds me of a down pillow.....Hmmmm.....:-? Hi Frieden, I know of a lady in West Virginia who makes sweaters from dog hair. I wouldn't want to be wearing it if it got wet.

frieden
04-13-2007, 10:48
Hi Frieden, I know of a lady in West Virginia who makes sweaters from dog hair. I wouldn't want to be wearing it if it got wet.

LOL! Yeah, you probably wouldn't smell pretty, but I bet you'd still be warm and dry pretty fast!