PDA

View Full Version : Preacher Dude

TOW
02-22-2007, 10:54
Do any of you guys remember Preacher Dude from last year that set up along the trail in different locations and fed people? If you met him and remember him then you know he is a minister that knows how to talk your head off. Other than that he truly is a man of God and if you got to know him a little back then you probably have a good memory.

I met the Pracher Dude via the internet after he had PM'ed me one time from here. Then we talked several times over the phone. I decided last year after I had found that I was ill to turn my back on the Lord and just quit being a christian. I found out that was not the best policy for me. You see when God begins a work in you, He will see it all the way to the end. I believe that now, because the Bible says so and I have experienced it first hand. We can either choose to be hard headed with God and choose our own end or we can let God have His way and let Him decide when our end is to come.

Then I met Preacher Dude at Trail day's last year after I had hiked and rode here from Hot Springs. I did not know what he looked like so I didn't know who he was when I literally set my tent right across from his in the Billville section. I was running from the Lord then. We met and I think Preacher knew that I was running from God because he immediately reached out to me in the love of God.

When Trail Days came to a close Preacher and his wife returned to their home down in the deep south and I hung out for a week here in Damascus writing a very long winded tale of the event. The day I decided to hike out my left leg swelled three times bigger than my right and I ended up in the hospital with a blood clot there and blood clots all over my body.

I'll never forget the nurses coming into my room and asking me if I were ready to die and if I wanted to see a priest. I told them I was ready to die and I don't need to see no priest because I was ready to go. God wasn't ready for me to go because He wasn't through with me yet.

I got laid on my back and I got woke up, only I couldn't see it at the time. I was ashamed of myself for walking away from the Lord. That was one of the biggest reasons why I wanted to just get out of here and take my chances on heaven or hell.

You see I was a man who had to be literally slapped upside my head to understand that there was a God and that He truly loved me and wanted the best for me. I am still learning about His love the hard way, I'm pretty hard headed.

But anyway, after I got out of the hospital I returned to Damascus and settled in. Slowly I began attending church and slowly I began confessing my sins to my brothers and sisters and now I have the keys to my church where I am responsible for cleaning the place once a week.

But back to Preacher Dude. I had called him and told him I was in the hospital and he also found out I was there from Lone Wolf's posting. By the way, I recieved countless phone calls from Whiteblaze members from Lone Wolf's posting and I want to let those of you to know that reached out to me to just hang in there, thankyou for listening to God's urging to call me and let me know that I was liked and loved. I needed that very bad at that time.

Within a week Preacher Dude and my personal pastor, Ronald Wynn from King of Kings chirch in Purcelville, Va came to see me here in Damascus. They laid their hands on me and prayed for me. That was an awesome act for that to happen to me. These two men came a few hundred miles just to see me and to let me know they cared for me. Totally got my attention.

I have stayed in contact with Preacher Dude, in fact I recieve his daily devotion. He just began his own web site and I thought I would share it with you. If you know him, say hi to him.

Here it is, http://www.andybondministries.com/id3.html

TOW

PS I'll be hiking from hwy 91 back to Damascus starting today. I haven't did that section of the trail yet. Then I start a new job Monday as a carpenters helper. Got to get myself limbered up to be the "Go-Boy!"

Smile
02-22-2007, 10:59
Yes, a very cool guy and posts regularly on another site I found recently http://www.christianhikers.com with many good things to say.

Great story TOW, thanks for the link to his new site. Hope the new job works out AOK!

TOW
02-22-2007, 11:01
Yes, a very cool guy and posts regularly onhttp://www.christianhikers.com with many good things to say.

Great story TOW, hope the new job works out AOK!
I want to thankyou for reaching out to me, Lone Wolf says your good people............

Smile
02-22-2007, 11:04
Anytime brother, I'm glad to hear you are doing well.

Great recovery story, and you are able to hike - WOO :banana HOO!

Scrub
02-22-2007, 11:41
................and I hope all goes well for you. I am also planning on hiking that same section {91 to Damascus} for my re-entry into backpacking. Do you think you could drop a line and let me know how it was? I am curios to find out what I am in for.

God Bless!
Scrub

LeeF
02-22-2007, 11:42
Hang in there brother. The Christian walk is just like hiking the trail; all you can do is take one step and one day at a time. We all have wandered off on the blue blazes from time to time, but the trail is there still waiting for us.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2007, 11:47
................and I hope all goes well for you. I am also planning on hiking that same section {91 to Damascus} for my re-entry into backpacking. Do you think you could drop a line and let me know how it was? I am curios to find out what I am in for.

God Bless!
Scrub

it's an extremely easy section

Alligator
02-22-2007, 13:51
Yes, a very cool guy and posts regularly on another site I found recently http://www.christianhikers.com with many good things to say.

Great story TOW, thanks for the link to his new site. Hope the new job works out AOK!Recently:confused: ? That site seems to have been around for a while?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=99108

www.christianhikers.com (http://www.christianhikers.com)

Hi, I wanted to tell you about a NEW site online ( tonight), if you want to meet and hike with folks of like mind, come over for a visit!

Thanks for your support!

Alligator
02-22-2007, 13:55
Recently:confused: ? That site seems to have been around for a while?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=99108
Oh, I misread that. You recently found it:confused: , not that it's a recent site.

Blissful
02-22-2007, 15:07
The christianhiker site is disabled - they were asking if anyone wanted to purchase it or something. This was a year or two ago. Love to see it resurrected one day. But I sure would like to meet Preacher Dude sometime. Great testimony, Wanderer. :)

rafe
02-22-2007, 15:09
The christianhiker site is disabled ... Love to see it resurrected one day.

Interesting choice of words, there, Blissful. :D

D'Artagnan
02-22-2007, 15:21
I don't want to sound hokey here, but you were already a "Carpenter's Helper". ;) Good luck on the hike and the new job. I hope both are equally rewarding. Keep the faith!

beas
02-22-2007, 15:46
Great testimony brother,
Maybe someone would come to Jesus through your story. It is a hard rode to keep sometimes but stay strong. We may try and turn away but what is great He will never turn his back on us. It is through his grace and mercy we have gained salvation not through our works.

BEAS

mweinstone
02-22-2007, 17:03
if atlas got a cramp and couldnt hold up the world , i would want only wanderer to fill in for him. if the end comes and people are dissapearing in the wink of an eye, i want only wanderer to stand with. if i go fishing and run out of bait, ...........enough.

if i ....stop would you please? thank you. sometimes i must apologize for my brain. it had a mind of its own for years. cant control the sumabits.

Lilred
02-22-2007, 17:05
TOW, congrats on the job!! That's fantastic. Have a great hike. The hubby and I are planning to come to Damascus the 1st and 2nd of April. Made reservations at The Lazy Fox. I'm taking him biking on the Creeper Trail. Can't Wait!!! Hope to see you then.

leeki pole
02-22-2007, 17:14
Nice post, TOW. 1Corinthians9: 24-27 to get you up for your hike.:)

Smile
02-22-2007, 17:14
The christianhiker site is disabled - they were asking if anyone wanted to purchase it or something. This was a year or two ago.

I saw it when it first came out, but thought it was down also. Visited again a few weeks ago, and just checked, it's working AOK, some interesting posts as well.

Preacher Dude has some great encouraging stuff posted. Nice to see his perspective on some things I was wondering about. Will check out his site tonight!

Skidsteer
02-22-2007, 17:45
Walk strong TOW.

toddhiker
02-22-2007, 18:56
Just reading this thread made my day!

Thanks and BEST to all...

little bear
02-22-2007, 21:29
Have a great hike TOW, and stay strong with God.

Preacher Dude
02-23-2007, 16:32
Thanks Wanderer, for those kind words about me and for posting our web-site, www.andybondministries.com

The wonderful folks that I have met on the trail have blessed me far more than I could ever bless them.

Thanks again TOW....your testimony is indeed a blessing in itself.

your brother in Christ Jesus,
Preacher Dude

TOW
02-23-2007, 17:16
Hey guys I got dropped off at Hwy 91 yesterday and made it to Double Springs Shelter and camped there last night. The wind was blowing pretty fast and that made it colder, it had to have been around zero. I got Mt Hardware zero degree bag but I had to put my emergency blanket over it just to stay warm. And let me tell you, wet wood burns because I burned alot of it last night!

I broke camp as soon as I got tired of listening to Imus. As soon as I got to 421 I decided to come on in and give my leg a rest. I think me and my buddy are going to get dropped off above Saunders Shelter and hike back in tomorrow.

Anyway, that was a pretty easy section and I think I'll have someone drop me at 421 next Saturday morning and hime on back to Damascus.

I want to thank all of you who keep encouraging me to take one more step.........

ASUGrad
02-26-2007, 10:23
Great website Preacher. Corral someone into putting your sermons on MP3.

SunnyWalker
03-04-2007, 22:13
Dear TOW: thanks for your testimony of how Christ has worked in your life. You have been so very transparent and open. Thanks for the gift. I went to the christianhiker web site. Thanks. I did not know that was there. God bless you and may the Lord continue to do wonderful things in and through your life. Walking with the Creator through the creation, -SunnyWalker

TOW
03-05-2007, 12:41
Dear TOW: thanks for your testimony of how Christ has worked in your life. You have been so very transparent and open. Thanks for the gift. I went to the christianhiker web site. Thanks. I did not know that was there. God bless you and may the Lord continue to do wonderful things in and through your life. Walking with the Creator through the creation, -SunnyWalker
Are you the Walker I met right out of Hot Springs going north and then again at TD's last year who retired from NASA?

SunnyWalker
03-30-2007, 22:51
No, sorry, not me. I am not retired yet either! I have five years plus with the State of Texas and will retire. March 21, 2012. then the next day I will start my thru-hike of either PCT or AT. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
05-20-2008, 19:34
Ooooops, March 21, 2013.