PDA

View Full Version : Hiker's, a different breed....

slowroller
08-02-2003, 02:41
I have found that hiker's are a different breed, living life to the fullest, without regrets,and without greed. I have often wondered, where it is I might fit in. Then one day I realized, that On the trail, I am always among friend's.

icemanat95
08-04-2003, 17:35
An interesting observation. I don't agree with it though.

The trails of the US contain a cross-section of the general population. The nature of hiking weeds out the physically lazy, the mentally entrenched urbanites who cannot conceive of spending time out where bugs might bite you and you might get wet and dirty, and the criminally minded who don't see any percentage in it. All that said, you get plenty of people who just don't have a clue. You get inconsiderate people who think the trail belongs to them, you get ultra-competitive types who think it's a race or a test of strength, you get the frat-boys and sorority girls who party their way up the trail, and druggies who do the whole thing in a mental haze. The one thing that every hiker has in common is that they want to hike. Since that one fact is so important to the conditions one finds themselves in while hiking, all thought tends to turn toward that and creates the impression of homogeneity. It's an illusion. A pleasant illusion, but an illusion.

Lone Wolf
08-04-2003, 18:44
Well put. I agree with iceman. A 5-6 month illusion of being one with "nature" then back to work. That euphoric care-free feeling comes from released endorphins flooding the brain from daily extreme exercise.