PDA

View Full Version : all around best 60 litre bag?

Dingus Khan
02-22-2007, 17:01
Hey all,
With my Lafuma 50 bag failing I am in the market for a new bag and would be intereseted in going a bit bigger (NOT heavier!) I am really tired of jamming in winter clothing in a bag and the extra space would be nice for extended food/extra's.
My average winter pack weight with 2nights/3days of food/water is no more than 30-35lbs, the range due to dehydrated vs "normal" food. I tend to favor the FBC yet sometimes fresh fruit is nice on an weekender.

ANYWAYS.... I have been really interested in the ULA circuit or catalyst, golite quest and the ospreys (aether or atmos 60-65)

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Am I shooting myself in the foot going bigger? Summer time is great since I have plenty of room in my lafuma - however cold temps make the fleece (and bulk thereof) needed. I am 6 foot, 180lbs, 29 years, not a bear but can handle 50lbs over a long period well with a good bag...

My gear list for my big four includes:
HH with CCF pad and hextarp
Lafuma 50L bag
Mountain Lite (ems) 20 bag
total weight somewhere around 8 lbs

Any feedback would be great, I know these bags are all excellent I just have not laid hands on either. Finding a golite back in Mass is not the easiest thing as there are few *serious* outfitters up here (ems carries the ospreys once in a while, but never the larger bags, just the daypacks/small rucksacks)

Any used ones for sale? I will be posting a WTB in that section as well

Thanks everyone, and to those starting their thru soon, I envy you and best of luck!!!:sun

Happy trails

rswanson
02-22-2007, 17:25
I'm really happy with my new ULA Conduit and have no problems recommending them to someone sight unseen, which is how most people have to buy them. The Circuit is right at the 60 liter size, and I'm sure its lighter than your Lafuma pack. Catalyst might be overkill for you at closer to 75 liters. Keep in mind that ULA factors mesh pockets into total volume so some gear may be exposed.

I have limited experience with Opsrey packs but can't recall hearing much bad about them. Also, consider Granite Gear's Vapor Trail and Virga, which might be easier to find.

g8trh8tr
02-22-2007, 18:56
I have the Osprey Atmos 50 and really like it. If you want something a little bigger you can look at the new Atmos 65. I believe the only real difference between the 50 and 65 is a separate sleeping bag compartment. By the way, I just ordered the EMS Mountain Light 20. It seemed like a really good price($150 on sale) for a 725 fill down bag. How do you like your bag?

bigcranky
02-22-2007, 19:05
You might take a look at the Six Moons Designs Starlite. I've been using the older version for several years and like it.

Dingus Khan
02-23-2007, 00:57
I have the Osprey Atmos 50 and really like it. If you want something a little bigger you can look at the new Atmos 65. I believe the only real difference between the 50 and 65 is a separate sleeping bag compartment. By the way, I just ordered the EMS Mountain Light 20. It seemed like a really good price($150 on sale) for a 725 fill down bag. How do you like your bag?

I love it! Long left zip, bought it for 89$ (had been used once by someone who ended up not liking the L zip and was selling "as is" at ems). I am a warm sleeper and was warm down to 18* with long johns a ccf pad in a HH. Packs great, the Pertex is a good material from what i have heard and is an all around great bag!!