PDA

View Full Version : Tarp or Gatewood Cape?

Spork
02-22-2007, 20:38
I'm looking for a sub 1 lb. shelter. I've been checking out catenary cut solo tarps (roughly 6'x8') from Oware, Backpacking Light, Mt Laurel Designs etc. which are all between 8-9 oz for sil-nylon, and at the Gatewood Cape at 11 oz, but which also serves duty as rain gear and pack cover. (guess I could ditch my Isotope jacket and sil-nylon pack cover and save 7 oz with the Gatewood?) So even with a tyvek ground sheet and maybe a bug canopy any of these look to still be under 1 lb total. I would appreciate some opinions from tarp and/or Gatewood users. I'm about 5'8". Not interested in tarptent suggestions as I already own a very nice Lunar Solo e. Thanks!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-22-2007, 21:09
Check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21668)

Baum Trigger
02-22-2007, 21:20
Check out an integral designs siltarp (8' x 5') . I believe it only weighs 7 oz. and packs up into 3" x 6". Does cost $70, tho :rolleyes:

doodah man
02-22-2007, 22:07
I'm looking for a sub 1 lb. shelter. I've been checking out catenary cut solo tarps (roughly 6'x8') from Oware, Backpacking Light, Mt Laurel Designs etc. which are all between 8-9 oz for sil-nylon, and at the Gatewood Cape at 11 oz, but which also serves duty as rain gear and pack cover. (guess I could ditch my Isotope jacket and sil-nylon pack cover and save 7 oz with the Gatewood?) So even with a tyvek ground sheet and maybe a bug canopy any of these look to still be under 1 lb total. I would appreciate some opinions from tarp and/or Gatewood users. I'm about 5'8". Not interested in tarptent suggestions as I already own a very nice Lunar Solo e. Thanks!

Spork,
I have (and am planning on using for my thru this year) a SMD Gatewood Cape. I am 5'10" and it has plenty of room for me even when setup in the storm mode (i.e. edges staked down at ground level). I am planning on Gossamer Gear bug net and polycro ground sheet. Shelter total (incl. stakes, bug net, ground sheet) is a smidge over a pound. I would recommend you still bring the isotope (or something waterproof) for camp use while the cape is in shelter mode. I am thinking of using one of those 3 ounce tyvek cycling zip up wind shirts for that purpose but I have to see how durable they are after a bit more testing. I imagine for camp use only, it does not have to be that tough. Overall, I have found the cape to be very easy to set up and the design to be very clever and functional, especially for a solo hiker. doodah-man

Sly
02-22-2007, 22:54
Besides the obvious when used as a poncho, the Gatewood Cape looks like an awesome shelter

Mags
02-23-2007, 00:51
I LOVED the Gatewood Cape as my shelter on the CDT this past year.

Not only was it light, but it was SO easy to set up. Sometimes ease of setup is almost as important as weight.

It sheltered me in rain storms, snow storms, etc.

I plan on using it again for further solo adventures. It was for me an excellent solo shelter and one I do not hesitate to recommend. I am also only 5'6"; a 6ft+ person may find it cramped.

A pic of the shelter all set up. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14031)

A pic of me peaking out of the shelter one snowy day (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14331)
(Sly, you signed this pic! :) )

I did not like it as much for rain gear, but it is windier out west and more exposed. YMMV (I switched back to my Montbell UL Windpants and GoLite Wisp for a 5oz penalty)

I think Ron sells a Gatewood Cape type product that is a shelter only. May be worth checking out.
http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48

It is 16oz..not too much heavier than the Gatewood cape if you throw in a bug netting.

Mags
02-23-2007, 00:55
Check out an integral designs siltarp (8' x 5') . I believe it only weighs 7 oz. and packs up into 3" x 6". Does cost $70, tho :rolleyes:

I tried using a 5x7 tarp on the Colorado Trail in 2004. I find the total sleeping area much too small. I've also noticed that people who use that small of a tarp often use a light sleep bivy as well. The total weight savings may not be as good as it seems.

As always, YMMV.

lvleph
02-23-2007, 08:46
If you are using a poncho tarp with a bivy the weight savings is substantial. Which is why the SULers and the XULers use them.

Spork
02-23-2007, 13:05
A pic of me peaking out of the shelter one snowy day (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14331)
(Sly, you signed this pic! :) )

OHMYGOSH... is THIS what I can expect to look like after a night in the Gatewood Cape????! Maybe I need to rethink this....:-?

Seriously, thanks to everyone for the feedback so far. I've been leaning toward the Gatewood Cape and am really encouraged by the positive experiences! For you tarp-lovers out there I still welcome other opinions though (especially if you look better in the AM than poor Mags!);)

Mags
02-23-2007, 14:13
[quote=lvleph;327291]If you are using a poncho tarp with a bivy the weight savings is substantial. Which is why the SULers and the XULers use them.[/quote

FWIW, my kit is about 9lbs. Many people below (not all) that tend to backpack in more gentle climes than 3season backpacking in say New England or Colorado.

Scott Williamson, of the PCT Yo-Yo fame, has an 8lb kit for example.

My personal opinion is that a poncho is not good rain gear for above treeline and the exposed areas you see in much of the West. A poncho as your rain gear may be more viable in the more gentle climates of the southern Appalachians.

I really do LOVE the cape as a shelter, though.

As always, YMMV.

Mags
02-23-2007, 14:20
OHMYGOSH... is THIS what I can expect to look like after a night in the Gatewood Cape????! Maybe I need to rethink this....:-?

God....that's too funny! :D

This picture ran on the front page of the outdoor section here in Boulder. The editor, who is a huge Lord of The Rings fan, had a caption that said:

It's either an extra from the Lord of The Rings movie set, or Paul Magnanti emerging from his lightweight shelter on a snowy morning...

I am only 5'6", and have a stocky,broad shouldered build. With that beard, and my hat/balaclava combo, Clay (the editor) admitted he thought of Gimli (the dwarf!) when he saw that pic. :)

That was my FOURTH attempt taking a self portrait. Combine all the snow I woke up to, and ..well, my expression says it all!

Great shelter though. I suspect you will NOT look like me when you wake up! :D

Footslogger
02-23-2007, 14:32
http://sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48[/URL]

It is 16oz..not too much heavier than the Gatewood cape if you throw in a bug netting.

===============================

Kind of a shame that it picked up the 6 ounces in the process of losing the hood. Wonder if all that mesh at the bottom is necessary for ventilation ? What you do think Mags ?

I was actually looking at using the Gatewood or something like it for my PCT thru. Glad to hear that it worked out so well for you. For what it's worth though I agree with you interms of a poncho as rain gear.

'Slogger

ronmoak
02-23-2007, 15:04
Slogger,

The currently listed weight on the Wild Oasis is based upon an early prototype. The current weight based upon the final production prototype completed a few days ago was 13.7 ounces (including shelter, guylines and stuff sack). So with stakes it'll be less than 1 pound.

We're using a lighter weight No-See-Um mesh on the Oasis which comprises the bulk of the weight reduction. Unlike a number of tarptent we have an 18" skirt of netting around the base of the canopy. This allows you to raise the shelter higher when you're just trying to control bugs. You get better interior space and more ventilation.

Ron

Footslogger
02-23-2007, 15:15
Slogger,

The currently listed weight on the Wild Oasis is based upon an early prototype. The current weight based upon the final production prototype completed a few days ago was 13.7 ounces (including shelter, guylines and stuff sack). So with stakes it'll be less than 1 pound.

We're using a lighter weight No-See-Um mesh on the Oasis which comprises the bulk of the weight reduction. Unlike a number of tarptent we have an 18" skirt of netting around the base of the canopy. This allows you to raise the shelter higher when you're just trying to control bugs. You get better interior space and more ventilation.

Ron

================================

Thanks Ron ...good info. Had been looking at/stalling on the purchase of the Gatewood because I really didn't want/need the hood feature as I wouldn't be using it as a poncho.

I like the option of raising/lowering the height depending on bugs and/or need for ventillation. Just seemed like it (the mesh) was coming at a premium in weight.

When will the first batch be ready to ship ?? I'm interested !!

'Slogger

Spork
02-23-2007, 19:37

Ron

Oi Vey Ron! Just when I thought I was ready to commit to Ms. Gatewood you tempt me with this mesh skirted Wild vixen! What's a poor Spork to do? Is it accurate to say that other than the hood and mesh bottom they are otherwise basically the same shelter?

ronmoak
02-24-2007, 02:22
The Gatewood Cape and Wild Oasis have the identical footprint. So in that requard they are the same. The Gatewood has the hood while the Wild Oasis has the netting.

The Wild Oasis is a shelter only and isn't designed to be multipurpose. However, for those looking for a single purpose ultralight shelter, the Wild Oasis is about as light as you can get. It doesn't require the added weight of a bivy or bug netting.

With luck the Wild Oasis will start shipping by the end of March.

Ron

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-24-2007, 10:19
Ron, I do believe you've produced another winner :).

lvleph
02-25-2007, 12:34
If you are using a poncho tarp with a bivy the weight savings is substantial. Which is why the SULers and the XULers use them.

FWIW, my kit is about 9lbs. Many people below (not all) that tend to backpack in more gentle climes than 3season backpacking in say New England or Colorado.

Scott Williamson, of the PCT Yo-Yo fame, has an 8lb kit for example.

My personal opinion is that a poncho is not good rain gear for above treeline and the exposed areas you see in much of the West. A poncho as your rain gear may be more viable in the more gentle climates of the southern Appalachians.

I really do LOVE the cape as a shelter, though.

As always, YMMV.
Most SULers and XULers live out west. Most of my ULing has been in the sierras. I have not actually used my setu on the AT yet. I am looking forward to it though.

Mags
02-26-2007, 13:51
Most SULers and XULers live out west. .

I would also argue tht mos acronym hikers are not equipped for three-season thru-hiking. The trip reports I've seen have been from summer seasons. But, that's just my observation. I've been wrong before.....

Spork
02-26-2007, 18:40
Hey Mags (and others). If you had to decide today between the Gatewood Cape and the Wild Oasis which would you choose and why?

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 18:41
Wild Oasis ...I don't need the hood and would never use it as my raingear.

'Slogger

Mags
02-26-2007, 19:44
I'd go with the wild oasis as well just for the reasons Foot Slogger said. It was not an option one year ago, it is now.

Earth Dweller
02-28-2007, 14:53
I've been thinking about both of these shelters (Gatewood and Wild Oasis) as well as a variety of tarps, so I'm glad to see this discussion. Here's a quick question for Gatewood users: I'm in the Southeast, where high humidity is a fact of life, and I'm concerned that the enclosed shape of the Gatewood (which, of course, makes it as storm-worthy as it is) will make it more prone to condensation. Since I also have mosquitoes to deal with, leaving the door open to aid ventilation isn't really an option. Can anyone comment on this?

Baum Trigger
02-28-2007, 15:12
Oasis looks great, but I have one question. This may be an ignorant question too so if it is, I apologize. Is there not a risk of water running thru the mesh skirt and having everything inside get drenched? I must be overlooking something in their design because surely a reputable company such as this would know what they're doing...?

greentick
02-28-2007, 15:25
Don't set up in a gulley or a low spot and you shouldn't have any problem.

Footslogger
02-28-2007, 15:25
Oasis looks great, but I have one question. This may be an ignorant question too so if it is, I apologize. Is there not a risk of water running thru the mesh skirt and having everything inside get drenched? I must be overlooking something in their design because surely a reputable company such as this would know what they're doing...?
==========================

There is if you set up on low ground. Other than that what you do is set up so that the inside edge of the mesh skirt folds under and inside the shelter. That way if there's rain it fall off the edges of the silnylon, hits the ground and either sinks in or flows away. In really bad weather you would pitch it lower so that the edges of the silnylon are near or touching the ground.

'Slogger

Sly
02-28-2007, 15:36
Ron sent me the prototype Wild Oasis to use while I'm waiting on a Lunar Solo e and it looks to be an extremely nice, light shelter. Six stakes and one hiking pole, it took only a couple minutes to set it up the 1st time. It has plenty of room inside for me and my gear. Much better than the Silshelter, that had no netting or zipper closure, I've been using the past few years.

I understand, the ones he'll be selling have several improvements.

Baum Trigger
02-28-2007, 15:54
==========================

There is if you set up on low ground. Other than that what you do is set up so that the inside edge of the mesh skirt folds under and inside the shelter. That way if there's rain it fall off the edges of the silnylon, hits the ground and either sinks in or flows away. In really bad weather you would pitch it lower so that the edges of the silnylon are near or touching the ground.

'Slogger

Duh! Thanks slogger!

Sly
02-28-2007, 16:13
Duh! Thanks slogger!

Yeah, it would be no different pitching iit than any other tarp.

Spork
02-28-2007, 19:13
Ron sent me the prototype Wild Oasis to use while I'm waiting on a Lunar Solo e and it looks to be an extremely nice, light shelter. Six stakes and one hiking pole, it took only a couple minutes to set it up the 1st time. It has plenty of room inside for me and my gear. Much better than the Silshelter, that had no netting or zipper closure, I've been using the past few years.

I understand, the ones he'll be selling have several improvements.

Sounds great! Thanks Sly for the firsthand feedback and to others for their opinions. I think that seals it for me - the Wild Oasis it is!:banana I'll be keeping an eye on Ron's website for availability...

dstenberg1
03-05-2007, 23:28
Wild Oasis Shelters can be purchased now, but they will not be ready until the end of March.