PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Camping Techniques or SCTs

No Belay
02-23-2007, 13:17
What are your favorite SCT's. I've been caught/busted/educated twice in GSMNP and need to hear from the SCT Yodas on WB to improve my odds. I snore like a bear with sleep apnia:eek: and fart like a Dow Chemical factory:o so I stealth as a favor to my fellow hikers. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Savor Happy!!

Lone Wolf
02-23-2007, 13:18
where were you when you got caught?

rafe
02-23-2007, 13:24
If a site is visible from the trail and looks perfect... it's not a "stealth" site. One trick is to delay setting up camp until dusk or even after. You're less likely to have unwanted visitors that way. If you want to be stealthy, you'll need to whack the bushes a bit and go for sites that aren't obvious.

Ender
02-23-2007, 13:25
I've found that my chances of not getting noticed improved greatly when I started using a Hennessey Hammock. It's a dark green that blends in very well with the woods, and for some reason people just don't seem to notice hammocks as much as tents... smaller footprint maybe? Dunno. Other than that, stay well off the trail using the natural surroundings to block the view of the trail.

I usually try to stick close to the rules in places like GSMNP and the like, but a few times I was caught by the setting sun well before I was near camp (never in GSMNP, but in the Shenendoas), so I made do. Setting up after sunset and getting up at the asscrack of dawn helps a lot. And of course, LNT is especially important.

The Solemates
02-23-2007, 13:43
One trick is to delay setting up camp until dusk or even after.

beyond anything, that is the essence of stealthing it in my mind. arrive, set up camp, sleep, pack, and leave ALL in the dark. ive done this hundreds of times in even very often visited areas, especially at trailheads along major roads during weekend trips, and have never had any problem. this is very easy for friday nights of a weekend trip. arrive late, set up in the dark, and get an early start. but for long distance hiking the same applies. we've camped at trailhead parking lots, next to roads, in "full" campgrounds, on private property, outside shelters, or adjacent to other tentsites...all without anyone ever knowing we were ever there.

Boat Drinks
02-23-2007, 13:56
I know I'll be tenting a lot, So here are my questions regarding stealth camping.
1. why do you need to do it? Is it illegal to pitch your tent where you want, or is it just bad form? Are some places OK with it and places like GSNP not?
2. what are the penalties if it is illegal?
3. If you're in a hammock, you still need to stealth???

Ender
02-23-2007, 14:05
1. why do you need to do it? Is it illegal to pitch your tent where you want, or is it just bad form? Are some places OK with it and places like GSNP not?
In some places it is against the rules to pitch wherever you want... GSMNP, the Shenendoas (sp?), the Whites. In most of those places it's OK to pitch away from established sites as long as you follow certain rules, like 200' away from the trail/water/camp/etc... For the most part though, you can set up wherever as long as you find a spot.

2. what are the penalties if it is illegal?
Fines. Can be pretty big in the National Parks.

3. If you're in a hammock, you still need to stealth???
Yeah, if it's not a legal campsite you do. But, it's also a heck of a lot easier to find a place since finding flat ground just isn't an issue. You can go places rangers won't look.

Also, some people refer to ANY camping done away from established sites as stealth camping, and not just the illegal camping. I've only been talking about the illegal camping.

No Belay
02-23-2007, 14:13
where were you when you got caught?

First time, 1986, I was on the noth slope of Jenkins Knob which is between Siller's Bald and I think,Double Springs Gap shelts. Busted early am sleeping in a bivy.Got a stern reprimand and "flagged " what ever that meant. Second time was 2001 by Cosby Knob shelt. Cost me $145 in mail in Fed fines. I was winter camping and hadn't seen another hiker all afternoon. Had a Zip stove going. Might have been smell or smoke that nailed me. I was ultra respectful and gave em verbal blow jobs to no avail. Papa bear with a Ranger in training. Probably why I got the ticket.

CaseyB
02-23-2007, 14:20
Papa bear with a Ranger in training. Probably why I got the ticket.

Sounds like some DOT guys I know.

Frosty
02-23-2007, 18:28
So was it daylight both times? Or dark?

First time, 1986, I was on the noth slope of Jenkins Knob which is between Siller's Bald and I think,Double Springs Gap shelts. Busted early am sleeping in a bivy.Got a stern reprimand and "flagged " what ever that meant. Second time was 2001 by Cosby Knob shelt. Cost me $145 in mail in Fed fines. I was winter camping and hadn't seen another hiker all afternoon. Had a Zip stove going. Might have been smell or smoke that nailed me. I was ultra respectful and gave em verbal blow jobs to no avail. Papa bear with a Ranger in training. Probably why I got the ticket.

TJ aka Teej
02-23-2007, 19:46
1) Setting up camp in a legal area with the intent to not be noticed while you're there and to leave as little trace as possible behind when you leave.
2) Camping where ever you want, with the intent to avoid fees and without regard to rules and laws.

Jim Adams
02-23-2007, 20:27
Slept on top of the tower at Clingmans in 1990--ALWAYS wake at or before dawn---stuffed s.bag, put pack on, Ranger walked around the corner! "Boy you guys got an early start!" "Yes sir, wanted to see sunrise".

Most of the other times that I have stealthed was late, after dark, good weather, throw bag and mat on the trail and sleep. Mostly Whites, Maine, etc HOWEVER also remember if you do this, the trail is also the route of animals! Bears, moose--remember the tracks?
Worst scare was in the morning, HUGE alligator tracks between me and my small fire ring on the Mississippi River.

geek

Jim Adams
02-23-2007, 20:35
Slept on top of the tower at Clingmans in 1990--ALWAYS wake at or before dawn---stuffed s.bag, put pack on, Ranger walked around the corner! "Boy you guys got an early start!" "Yes sir, wanted to see sunrise".
geek

PS. Been there twice---haven't had a view yet!:D

geek

GlazeDog
02-23-2007, 20:59
My top 10 tips for a stealthy existance on the AT:
1. No roasting marshmallows over blazing campfires with 3 foot flames.
2. No animated cell phones conversations punctuated w/lots of laughter.
3. Don't chop wood with ax for romantic campfire.
4. Don't play your native american flute to honor the sunset.
5. Don't play your native american flute to honor the sunrise.
6. Don't build a campfire in the trail.
7. Don't nervously eat a big crinkly bag of crunchy potato chips for dinner.
8. Don't custom order a bright orange Hennessey Hammock.
9. Don't Yoddle.
10. Don't shoot off fire crackers to scare away hungry-looking racoons.

GlazeDog

4eyedbuzzard
02-23-2007, 21:14
I've been caught/busted/educated twice in GSMNP... I snore like a bear with sleep apnia:eek: and fart like a Dow Chemical factory:o

Sounds like you have your own answer.:rolleyes:

No Belay
02-23-2007, 21:20
Sounds like you have your own answer.:rolleyes:

Could be but reading GlazeDog's post I think it might be the yodeling. ...Yea, definitely the yodeling.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-23-2007, 21:56
I have stealth camped many times in the GSMNP -- get off the trail several hundred yards and use gear that blends in. I go over or around a hill if possible so I cannot be seen from the trail. I cook a few hours before stopping to make camp to avoid attracting bugs / animals. making camp late and breaking up early is an excellent idea -- especially if you "snore like a bear with sleep apnia:eek: and fart like a Dow Chemical factory:o "

No Belay
02-24-2007, 17:39
Thanks to all for the great suggestions and I'll do my best to implement them all into my future endeavors. I've made an attempt to list the lessons I've learned. If I overlooked any, let me know.

1. Delay making camp until dusk, or there after, and get up and out before
the ass-crack of dawn.

2. Whack the bushes to off trail sites,several hundred yards behind hills or
rises.

3. Utilize earth colors for shelters and exposed gear.

4. Always, and I mean always, practice LNT. Actually this shoul be #1

5.Stealth is easier accomplished with a hammock, due to a level site not
being required.

7. ( 6. wasn't any good.He wanted me to give up snoring and flatuating)
The first 9 of GlazeDogs suggestions. Number 10 involved fireworks and
they're against GSNP policies, which I would never violate. TJ

8.Cook several hours before stopping to camp.

9. Focus yodeling energies into other non-audio producing avenues and find
another way to express my total EXHILARATION for being in the midst of
God's blessings, minus the 17 other snoring and farting ATrs that were
back at the last shelter.

Savor Happy!

Doctari
02-24-2007, 20:58
A good site for hammock stealth tips is
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=lt&doc_id=1385&v=ji&term=stealth%2520camping&context=all

gollwoods
02-25-2007, 18:35
I wonder what a person is going to do if he winds up at a full shelter?
I know there have to be more hikers at some point than spaces\?

rafe
02-25-2007, 19:10

If that person doesn't have a tent, tarp or bivy, that person is S.O.L. ;)

TJ aka Teej
02-25-2007, 19:41
Tradition says there's always room for one more.

rickb
02-25-2007, 19:47
Is that old bromide realy true?

rafe
02-25-2007, 19:55
Is that old bromide realy true?

I think it was always a bit... elastic. ;)

GlazeDog
02-25-2007, 20:06
I wonder what a person is going to do if he winds up at a full shelter?\?

Just borrow a tarp or tent or hammock from someone sleeping in the shelter. haha. Thru-Hikers are a kindly lot.:D

GlazeDog

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2007, 20:12
I thought they hung you from the bear cables if you showed up without an alternate shelter.

Lone Wolf
02-25-2007, 20:51
Tradition says there's always room for one more.

that's a bs tradition. if the shelter holds 8 and 8 are in it, put up your tent, tarp, bivy or hammock.

Rebel, with a Cause!
02-25-2007, 20:57
In 2002 , we had a guy with a real small tarp and no ground cloth show late up to a full shelter on a Bad rainy day. He slept under the picnic table in front of the shelter under the overhang. We cooked over him the next morning as he slept :) It was funny.

GlazeDog
02-25-2007, 21:33
that's a bs tradition. if the shelter holds 8 and 8 are in it, put up your tent, tarp, bivy or hammock.

Some of us like bs. :-? Me, for instance, I like mine with mayonaise.;)

GlazeDog

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-26-2007, 08:01
Some of us like bs. :-? Me, for instance, I like mine with mayonaise.;) GlazeDog is tempting me to go into photoshop....