PDA

View Full Version : gaiters do you use them

Phlashlite
02-23-2007, 14:34
my husband really likes to hike in gaiters, I'm not sure about them. What is your experience, are they hot? do they stay up?

Footslogger
02-23-2007, 14:39
Sure do ...and yes, they stay up. In warmer weather I use the ankle high style and in winter I use the over-the-calf style. I hike in shorts pretty much all year round and the gaiters act as my lower pant legs but still allow some vital ventillation.

'Slogger

Almost There
02-23-2007, 14:44
Depends, in the winter definitely, if I'm hiking a low use trail with poison ivy...yes.

Jim Bowie
02-23-2007, 14:50
I wear OR calf-high Gortex gaiters for every hike. I admit, it can be overkill, but I love my debris-free boots. I never really get hot in them, either.

bigmac_in
02-23-2007, 15:52
NEVER use 'em.... but I don't winter hike (in the snow anyway).

Mags
02-23-2007, 16:01
The only time I use gaiters is in winter for skiing/snowshoeing.

Otherwise it is trailrunners/sneakers w/o gaiters.

hopefulhiker
02-23-2007, 16:26
I used the short ones and the long ones.. Your legs feel protected and you can go into the underbrush..but they are overkill..

I would always wear the short ones with the trailrunners to help keep water and debris out of the shoes...

anneandbenhike
02-23-2007, 16:29
We always use gaiters, low style. I think they keep my socks cleaner, fewer pebbles in the shoes, less muddy, and keep low poison ivy at bay...and on our June hike last year, SOBO from Franklin to Springer, I have never seen so much poison ivy in my life. I am sure they kept me from getting a bad case.

Knees
02-23-2007, 17:15
I use the low ones. My shoes fill up with crap if I don't...

Buckles
02-23-2007, 17:29
If you're not into overkill, but looking for something to keep debris out of the trail shoes, take a look at these Lycra, breathable, lightweight gaiters:

www.joetrailman.com (http://www.joetrailman.com)

Fannypack
02-23-2007, 17:30
The only time I use gaiters is in winter for skiing/snowshoeing.

Otherwise it is trailrunners/sneakers w/o gaiters.
Mags,
u don't have a problem with getting sand & small gravel in shoes w/o gaiters? (especially on PCT) - makes me have to stop & remove crap....

vipahman
02-23-2007, 18:04
Tall gaiters for snow stuff, ankle high for rain (keeps the socks and consequently shoes dry).

dloome
02-23-2007, 18:28
Just for snow I use a light pair of gaiters about 6" high. Otherwise I find them totally unecessary. I think some people just like the look.

Without them I'll maybe have to stop once or twice a day and remove a rock. Big friggin deal.

Spirit Walker
02-23-2007, 18:29
Like Mags, I only use gaiters for deep snow. I get too hot if I try to use them in the summertime.

Spock
02-23-2007, 18:34
Low, stretch gaiters in warm weather and safe conditions keep stuff out of my shoes.

High gaiters in wet weather keep the legs cleaner and otherwise protect from brush, poison ivy, etc. On the AT, I usually stay in high gaiters NOBO until New England, sometimes just stay in them.

oldfivetango
02-23-2007, 18:44
Some of us old weird people not only like the geeky
look-they make the legs feel better for some reason.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Toolshed
02-24-2007, 08:13
Look at this link from a month or so ago. Gaiters (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21305&highlight=gaiters)

moxie
02-24-2007, 10:36
No question, in heavy rain it keeps water out of your boots. Few rocks get in. There are many styles and types of gaiters. I saew a thru hiker on Katahdin with gaiters he had just made out of plastic. Socks stay cleaner and rocks don't get in your shoes or boots. Different styles range from loose nylon, to stretch wet suit fabric. Goretex are popular. Depends on the season you are hiking, the weather you are hiking in and the type ot terrain you are hikig on. I don't use them in the Arizona desert but wouldn't be without them on a long distance hike in changing weather conditions.

iliketacos
02-24-2007, 10:58
I read someones trail journal and they mentioned that its best to put your rain pants over your gators in heavy rain. It makes sense I guess. Just a thought.

anneandbenhike
02-24-2007, 14:35
Wearing my gaiters makes me walk faster, decreases mileage, helps me carry my ultralight load, and definitely makes me feel younger. hahaha...and if you believe that....

Nest
02-24-2007, 22:36
No gaiters here. I always just wear light nylon pants and my good old jungle boots. Nothing gets in the boots, and the pants keep water out. Unless I have to ford a creek or stream. Then I just take off the boots and socks.

highway
02-25-2007, 03:08
I can't imagine ever using the goofy-looking things, let alone ever carrying them with me. For me, they serve no useful purpose

The Snowman
02-25-2007, 16:58
Im winter yes in summer on the AT no. Sometimes on longer beach walks I do wear short gaitors.

the_iceman
02-25-2007, 20:57
gaiters all the way. You stay cleaner and less change of Lyme

Mags
02-26-2007, 13:45
Mags,
u don't have a problem with getting sand & small gravel in shoes w/o gaiters? (especially on PCT) - makes me have to stop & remove crap....

Can't say it has been a problem. I may get the odd pebble every now-and-then, but not enough to make we want gaiters outside of winter use.

As always, YMMV.