PDA

View Full Version : Tri-cities TN/VA & Damascus

Nomad
02-23-2007, 16:43
Hi ya'll, I just moved to Bristol, VA from New England. Looking to explore the area...day-hike, overnight, weekends, sections, I'm up for anything. Anybody from around here?

jlb2012
02-23-2007, 16:49
by any chance were you from Rhode Island?

anneandbenhike
02-23-2007, 16:50
Wahoo...we are!! My husband and I are always looking for people to hike, road bike and mountain bike with. We are on the TN side but we don't bite!! We have section hiked all through here, and know lots of trails. You have moved to a great part of the country and the hiking possibilities are endless. I am leaving in 12 days for a 58 day cross country bicycle ride (see web site) so my husband would love to have a hiking buddy.

Nomad
02-23-2007, 16:51
Uhhh, ya, Rhode Island...sounds like you know me?

Lone Wolf
02-23-2007, 16:51
Uhhh, ya, Rhode Island...sounds like you know me?

where in R.I.?

mountain squid
02-23-2007, 16:52
:welcome to the Tri-Cities and :welcome to WB. I plan to go to Roan Mt tomorrow. I'll probably get there between 1000 and 1030.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

jlb2012
02-23-2007, 16:52
just one of those shots in the dark - another very prolific poster is in your area and also was originally from RI

anneandbenhike
02-23-2007, 16:53
Just sent you a PM with phone number.

Nomad
02-23-2007, 16:58
Sheesh, I just created this thread 2 minutes ago, what a response!

In Rhode Island, most recently I lived near Bowdish Lake in West Glocester, but I grew up in Smithfield.

Squid, can't make Roan Mt. tomorrow, but keep me updated please.

Anna, good luck with that! Poor Ben!

mountain squid
02-23-2007, 17:05
No problem. I can hike pretty much whenever. Every Sat I'll be hiking somewhere.

Evidently there are quite a few Tri-Citians around. Anyone else want to meet at Roan tomorrow?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
02-23-2007, 17:36
Sheesh, I just created this thread 2 minutes ago, what a response!

In Rhode Island, most recently I lived near Bowdish Lake in West Glocester, but I grew up in Smithfield.

Squid, can't make Roan Mt. tomorrow, but keep me updated please.

Anna, good luck with that! Poor Ben!

I was born and raised in North Kingstown.

mrc237
02-23-2007, 19:22
I was born and raised in North Kingstown.

Is that where the rich people live?

strnorm
02-23-2007, 21:15
Welcome to the tri-cities and welcome to wb. i live in kingsport. got to go to the poconos for a few weeks, i will give you a holler when i get back to Tn. lots of easy access to the AT. in this area.:welcome

RAT
02-23-2007, 22:32
I am in Johnson City, very close to ALOT of trail ;) Welcome NOMAD !

RAT

Fannypack
02-23-2007, 22:51
the rich people live at/in the Mt Washington Hotel

Lone Wolf
02-24-2007, 09:06

yeah. i was the pool boy for the wealthy

Spooner
02-24-2007, 09:39
i'm up the road a ways in the big city of marion. i'm just a few minutes from the AT and several other trails. rowland's creek trail to the falls is a great little hike. see ya on the trails.

Nomad
02-24-2007, 09:55
Everybody in Rhode Island is rich. They must be! The median home value in North Kingstown is $387,900. By comparison, the same house in Bristol, VA is $132,400. Source: bestplaces.net. Now, how silly am I for uprooting myself from my beloved RI and buying a 9-room house 20 miles from the AT for $85,000? Most people I talk to say that they like RI because it's near the ocean. Anybody ever been to a RI beach? Eww. The east coast is overrated. Appalachia is the best kept secret in the US.

rafe
02-24-2007, 10:02
Appalachia is the best kept secret in the US.

What's the employment scene like in Bristol, VA? Local economies tend to track the employment situation. Where real estate is cheap, jobs are scarce or generally low-paying... and vice versa. Maybe Bristol is the exception, but that's the general rule. Money alone isn't always the big issue -- but unless you're wealthy, employment is how most folks get health coverage.

Nomad
02-25-2007, 15:04
Well sure, I understand that most people have too many constraints to relocate. I'm not sure exactly how the employment scene is here. I didn't come here for a job since I'm self-employed and work on the internet. The unemployment rate is 4.1%, which is reasonable, but doesn't really say much. The population growth is negative, which says that people are moving away for more lucrative metro areas. Fine with me, I love it here....it's a very relaxed and friendly place and I don't lock my doors at night.

Big Guy
02-25-2007, 20:50
:welcome to the tri. Live in JC. Do occassional hikes. Will send you an e-mail in the future. If you hike slow may be a match. Great area for hiking the AT and many other trails.

dperry
02-25-2007, 23:33
What's the employment scene like in Bristol, VA? Local economies tend to track the employment situation. Where real estate is cheap, jobs are scarce or generally low-paying... and vice versa. Maybe Bristol is the exception, but that's the general rule. Money alone isn't always the big issue -- but unless you're wealthy, employment is how most folks get health coverage.

While the employment in Appalachia may or may not be great, there are plenty of places that have good employment and are still considerably cheaper than the East Coast. At this point, I would say availability of and restrictions on land are probably bigger factors in real estate prices than employment rates or average income.

Also, there are many places where the decrease in cost of living more than makes up for the decrease in wages. When I moved from Jacksonville, FL to Philadelphia, I got a $3,000-$4,000 raise but still suffered a 5%-10% reduction in my standard of living.

Finally, just because the employment situation may not be great in general in a particular area doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad for you in particular. If you have skills that are not easily obtainable, you'll get a good salary regardless of where you live.

ImkerVS
02-26-2007, 07:02
I'm in Unicoi (between Erwin and Johnson City) near the 107 trailhead.

Been here about a year and a half, moved from Nashville thanks to DSL.

I'm doing day hikes and want to do a couple of sections later when it warms up.

RiverWarriorPJ
02-26-2007, 07:16
Now, how silly am I for uprooting myself from my beloved RI and buying a 9-room house 20 miles from the AT for $85,000?

.."9 rooms"..??..KooL.........You need a roomMate..??..:D..

Nomad
02-26-2007, 10:26
Well, of the 9 rooms, 4 are already rented out as a separate basement apartment, but I've still got an empty bedroom upstairs. $300/mo. includes everything, cable TV and internet too...woohoo, cheap living...

mixinmaster
02-26-2007, 10:36
Hey guys, welcome to the area.......... You must make the drive to Grayson Highlands, north towards Marion on I81..........Or go to Abingdon, drive to Damascus, and check out the Va Creeper trail........... Or hike the AT to White Top............ Too Too Too much to mention......... Pick your pleasure............:welcome

RiverWarriorPJ
02-27-2007, 07:29
Well, , but I've still got an empty bedroom upstairs. $300/mo. includes everything, cable TV and internet too...woohoo, cheap living...

Great....:D...But did u happen to notice that in my Name, Profile & Pix there is a "Zeus II" included..??..:mad:..

Nomad
02-27-2007, 15:22
Dogs, ya, love 'em. Got a male dog myself. Not fixed, likes to fight with other male dogs too ;-((

satchmo
02-27-2007, 20:32
Im near Norton. We got a few good trails up this way. The benge scout trail, the stone mountain trail and the pine Mountain trail. The scout trail is on high know and ends at little stoney falls and is a good swimming hole in the summer. If anybody would like to check em out Pm or email me [email protected] I may tag along. Email me a few days before.

mixinmaster
02-27-2007, 22:33
Careful around the falls, several fatalities through the years............ Grew up in St. Paul and friend of a friend was killed there in 79 or 80........ I think there was a deadly fall there a couple of years ago too............ Be careful, just an FYI..............

satchmo
02-27-2007, 22:59
Careful around the falls, several fatalities through the years............ Grew up in St. Paul and friend of a friend was killed there in 79 or 80........ I think there was a deadly fall there a couple of years ago too............ Be careful, just an FYI..............

Yeh its pretty tame for the most part. Some people get the idea to jump off every now and then and its just about 5 or 6 ft deep so you have to hit a crack under the water that is deeper. But is is a fairly narrow crack. Feals great after a good hike.

Captain Crunch
04-06-2007, 23:30
Hey Nomad,
Welcome to the Tri-Cities. I live in Bristol (the TN side). My wife and I moved here in '83 from Pittsburgh and have grown deep roots. The AT snakes all through the area (as I am sure you know). I started section hiking last summer. This spring, my daughter ("Pixie") and I did Springer to Neels Gap. Very nice!!!
I am also self employed (potter) and do part-time engineering work, therefore, I have a somewhat flexible schedule. If you would like a partner for a hike, PM me.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
04-15-2007, 06:47
Hey everyone I'm kinda new here , moved to TN from IL and originally from MN. Just looking to meet some folks and maybe find someone to hike and camp with I have a weird work schedule that changes on a dime but am usually off midweek like to do some day hikes and section hikes as well as some 2day camping trips also trying to learn what the area has to offer. email , message me with any help or info thanks

RiverWarriorPJ
04-15-2007, 07:13
Well, of the 9 rooms, 4 are already rented out as a separate basement apartment, but I've still got an empty bedroom upstairs. $300/mo. includes everything, cable TV and internet too...woohoo, cheap living...

:mad: <~~ Ended up gettin' a darn J.O.B. ewwww..!!.. So won't be moving any time in the near future..

Lilred
04-15-2007, 11:28
Hey everyone I'm kinda new here , moved to TN from IL and originally from MN. Just looking to meet some folks and maybe find someone to hike and camp with I have a weird work schedule that changes on a dime but am usually off midweek like to do some day hikes and section hikes as well as some 2day camping trips also trying to learn what the area has to offer. email , message me with any help or info thanks

:welcome to Whiteblaze and TN. I'm in the nashville area. Check with the Tennessee Trails Assoc. in your area for hiking clubs. Here's a link to their calendar http://www.tennesseetrails.org/calendar.php

Pete24
04-27-2007, 19:29
I am living outside of Sparta, NC and also looking for some hiking. I used to live in New Hampshire.