PDA

View Full Version : Sobo starting plans...suggestions?

AlbertaHiker23
02-23-2007, 17:41
I am planning a sobo solo hike for sometime in June. I will be flying in from Alberta and I am not sure about my plans for the first few days. Here's what I have so far, mostly according to the thru-hiker's companion.
-Fly to Bangor,
-Bus to Medway,
-Taxi to Baxter State Park.
-Hike up Abol Trail.

My biggest uncertainty is time. How much time should I schedule for all of this? I am thinking of giving myself few days just to get used to the time change and stuff. How many nights should I book at the katahdin Stream Campground? I would like to leave around June 1st.
Any suggestions and/or alterations welcome.
Thanks, Yves

mountain squid
02-23-2007, 19:03
I haven't SOBO'd, nor do I know what other SOBO's have done. Having said that, I suggest at least 2 nights at Katahdin Strm CG, if it is possible. Up and down Katahdin is a very strenuous 10.4 miles. It will probably take you most of the day. If you do not stay at the CG, you have three other choices that I can see:

1. Catch a hitch back into Millinocket and then come back the next day.
2. Hike to Daicey Pond CG (or to one of the other CGs) which also requires a reservation.
3. Hike out of the park.

It is a very difficult climb to start off with and I wouldn't want to do more than I had to. Most NOBO's probably only do 10 mi or less on their first day (and it isn't Katahdin)...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

TJ aka Teej
02-23-2007, 19:31
My biggest uncertainty is time. How much time should I schedule for all of this? I am thinking of giving myself few days just to get used to the time change and stuff. How many nights should I book at the katahdin Stream Campground? I would like to leave around June 1st.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, Yves!
The bus from Bangor gets into Medway at 7:40 PM, and the new owners of the AT Lodge in Millinocket say the taxi went out of business. You'll probably want to arrange a shuttle and stay with them the day you get in.
I always suggest MEGAs spend the night before and after their climb in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream. That way you can get an early start after a good night's sleep and have a dry campsite to return to. You don't want to have to hike another 9 miles out of the Park after your climb!

AlbertaHiker23
03-02-2007, 16:24
the new owners of the AT Lodge in Millinocket say the taxi went out of business. You'll probably want to arrange a shuttle and stay with them the day you get in.

What would be the best to go about planning this shuttle? Does the At lodge have a pre-arranged shuttle service?

AlbertaHiker23
03-02-2007, 16:27
Nevermind, I found the answer to my own question on their website.

TJ aka Teej
03-02-2007, 20:13
Nevermind, I found the answer to my own question on their website.

That's a southbounder for ya! Resourceful and self sufficient! :sun