PDA

View Full Version : Foot problem?

fwassner
08-03-2003, 13:52
Hi;

I am considering a thru-hike (GA to ME) beginning March 2004.
But I have some concerns, the biggest being my foot.
I had a condition you probably are very familiar with:
Plantar Fasciitis. It is the inflamation of the Plantar Fascia, which is that large ligament running from the heel to just south of the toes.
I started having my problems after doing a marathon, then not resting the prescribed amount of time.
The injury took the whole summer to heal, and still hurts sometimes if I abuse it.

I'm wondering whether this condition will take the kind of walking that a thur-hike demands.

For now, I'm just hoping that it doesn't flare up during my training hikes, which will be multi day/night treks into the mountains of NY and VT to name two.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thankd

Frank

gravityman
08-04-2003, 10:29
I would suggest search the web about this. There is a lot of info on it. A custom orthotic would be your best bet to prevent it. Also the correct shoes...

Gravity Man

Grimace
08-04-2003, 12:50
You'll know if its an issue after your training hikes. If its even a little bit sore after 2 days, it's gonna be debilitating on a thru hike. Make sure you take it easy and "listen" to your body.

asmtroop3
08-04-2003, 14:47
Like you mentioned, if you don't let it heal all the way, reoccurance is likely.

Once taken to the level you talked about, scar tissue can occur making a flare up more common.

Like Grimace said, listen to the feets and remember, time is a four letter word.

I'm not a doctor on TV, I play one in real life.:-?

fwassner
08-04-2003, 21:12
Thanks for the good advice.
I've always let my body tell me what I can and can't do with it, although I would not have had the Plantar problem if I had listened to it, would have I?
I guess I got a bit overzealous on running after completing a marathon only 1 year after starting a regular running routine.
My age may have caught up to me. I keep having to remind myself that I'm not 22 anymore <g>

I plan my training hikes to be with full pack (probably even heavier than that which I would take on a thru-hike) and in mountains, not easy terrain. That should give me a pretty good idea as to what to expect.

B Thrash
08-08-2003, 20:40
Frank, you are not the only one with foot problems, I tore the plantar fascia in my left foot in January 2003 and still have problems with it. Not much pain as when it happen but I can tell it has not healed. I noticed that you said you are suffering from Plantar Fasitis, I may be mistaken but when you have this a heel spur has developed. I have had custom orthotic's made but have not been delivered, ice, streching, medication, rest is what most doctors perscribe. I will start on a 125 mile trip next month and will find out if I can or cannot hike. Have done about twnety 10 mile trips with 40 pack and so far so good.
Good luck with your recovery.

ventis secundis, tene cursum

Go with the flow

fwassner
08-09-2003, 08:02
B Thrash;

I did not develop a heel spur. Some cases do, some don't. But from what my doc told me, the spur isn't usually the problem, it only helps to complicate the matter.

I wish that I had time for a 100+ mile hike to test my foot. The only time I may come close to that long before the AT Thru-Hike next spring will be Thanksgiving weekend when I plan to take the entire 4 days to go into the mtns of VT. I could conceivably do 100 miles in those 4 days, but I think that would be pushing a bit... Especially if there's already snow on the ground <g>

I've been running and so far the foot feels good. But loading the pack and walking in the mtns for a few days will be the best test.
I'll be doing that on Labor Day weekend in the Catskills of NY.

B Thrash
08-09-2003, 19:52
Frank, you may want to go to Wal-Mart and buy you a supply of Naproxem Sodium tablets or caplets (220mg) before you start your Thanksgiving hike or you can get your doctor to write you a prescription. These caplets is one of the first items that I put in my bag along with Imodium A-D.

fwassner
08-09-2003, 20:25
What does Naproxem Sodium do?

I always pack Immodium A-D. That's one product that does what it says it will do!

B Thrash
08-09-2003, 21:23
It is a anti-inflammatory drug for pain. I have been taking 550mg two times a day for several months but have purchased the Wal-Mart brand (Equate) 220 mg. This medication was perscribed by my podiatrist when I tore my plantar fascia.

fwassner
08-10-2003, 07:50
I'm not sure I like the idea of taking pain killers on a regular basis just so I can do a long hike.
If the foot hurts enough to prevent me from hiking, then I shouldn't be hiking... right?

B Thrash
08-10-2003, 16:59
You are right about taking drugs for pain. There is a thru-hiker that is on the trail right now that developed heel spurs during the early part of her hike, she took a few days off and this mediciation mention is what was perscribed for her. Check Thru-hiker journals and see how she has coped with this injury. Her trail name is " Journey".

gravityman
08-11-2003, 10:29
Here's a link to a message board that has a lot of people with a lot of experience with planter facitis :

http://heelspurs.com/_safe.html