PDA

View Full Version : Can I take a nap?

iliketacos
02-24-2007, 11:10
Does anyone take a nap mid-day on/near the trail? Or, does pounding out the daily miles make taking a nap impossible?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-24-2007, 11:17
I don't take a nap, but I do often take a mid-day 2 hour break (lunch and lounging). I find I actually can hike further doing this and enjoy it more.

TJ aka Teej
02-24-2007, 11:19
I do.

Siesta aka Teej

Rain Man
02-24-2007, 11:28
On my section hikes, if my lunch break is in a warm, sunny, comfortable spot, I have snoozed a bit, yes.

Perhaps you could call them your "power" naps?! :)

Rain:sunMan

bullseye
02-24-2007, 11:35
I never used to, but I've found that over the last few years I really enjoy a midday nap during the heat of the day in the warmer months. The first time was at Washington Monument Park in Maryland. I ran out of water well before the park and when I reached the park facilities the call of a cold coke from the machine and a nap in the shade of the building was just too much. I awoke an hour later feeling brand new (well, as brand new as this body's going to feel:p ). I don't do it ever trip, but sometimes it's just the ticket.

Mountain Maiden
02-24-2007, 12:02
Yep! I do! Even in the real world, that is my 'down time.' I am an early riser and I like to hike out early. So--by the time I have had a b'fast, snack and a kinda' late lunch--I am ready to snooze before getting in the next 6 miles or so before finding a place to spend the night.

A leisurely nap refreshes me and I don't feel that I am being pushed or pressured up the Trail by the go-go-go mindset. I still get in an easy 12-16 mi day and that's fine with me. On bigger mile days, a nap is even more beneficial. Just start out a little earlier and hike a little later. But, take a nap! It makes the miles go so much easier--for me! YMMV

:sun

rafe
02-24-2007, 12:08
On really hot days it makes some sense to chill during mid-day. If I'm not mistaken, this is really what's behind the notion of the "siesta" as practiced in Spain, Italy, Mexico, etc. Some folks use it for a nap, but the main thing is to leave the heavy exertion for some other part of the day.

Spock
02-24-2007, 12:12
Whenever the mood - or need - strikes, usually only once in every few days, I'll get drowsy and whip out the hammock (in warm weather) or even the groundsheet, pad and quilt (in cool weather) and take a snooze. Nice, flat, hard shelter floors can be really inviting after lunch. It's nice to get horizontal and let the kinks out of my back... umm, feels too good to get up. Maybe I'll just relax here for a min......zzzz.

If you can't take a nap in the warm sun with bees humming over the meadow, why hike?

NICKTHEGREEK
02-24-2007, 15:23
On really hot days it makes some sense to chill during mid-day. If I'm not mistaken, this is really what's behind the notion of the "siesta" as practiced in Spain, Italy, Mexico, etc. Some folks use it for a nap, but the main thing is to leave the heavy exertion for some other part of the day.
Well, close. It's really just an excuse to go spend some quality time with your mistress. It's more than a summer time thing.

bigcranky
02-24-2007, 17:14
I like taking an extended break mid-day, 2-3 hours if possible (warm enough). I have to admit that I've dozed off once or twice, but I don't generally plan on napping during this break. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Spirit Walker
02-24-2007, 19:29
When the weather is warm, it's nice to take a long midday break and then hike into the evening.

Topcat
02-24-2007, 19:42
i do in the spring, summer and fall, but never in winter. I get up early and usually have some miles in by lunch. If i stop early for a day (1 or 2) i will take one 100% of the time

freefall
02-24-2007, 20:07
Isn't that one of the reasons for hiking the AT? You hike in search of the perfect nap spot. :D I manage to find one at least every other day once it starts to warm up.

Kerosene
02-24-2007, 20:12
By all means! Once you get in shape it shouldn't take you more than 10 elapsed hours to bang out 20 miles, so a mid-day siesta can be a nice way to break up the day and avoid some of the worst heat.

highway
02-25-2007, 03:13
Siesta...there is little wrong with having one when the conditions feel right. A little nap is good for the soul:D

STOKER
02-25-2007, 06:52
its all about freedom, do what u want wen u want. I took lots of naps, but on the hot days id try and soak in a stream instead

superman
02-25-2007, 10:01
Oh yeah, When I started the AT I was trying to do some weird force march to get my miles in. Then day after day I would find Datto napping after his lunch. It kind of ticked me off because I was working so hard to get my miles in and he would just lay there sleeping. Then one day I happened to be with Nails and Fenway at a break time. Fenway was doing the math of what was required for daily mileage and it came out about 15 miles a day at that time allowing for town stops and zero days. He and nails took time to do other things along the trail including going to town for a burger and still getting their miles in. I can be mind boggling obtuse some times so it took a while for me to figure out that if I just lightened up my hike would still be ok. So I lightened up on my hike and it got better. I took time for a burger, a nap or just a diversion. One day I just fiddled with cleaning out a drinking source. When I hiked on I was refreshed and still got my miles in.

hopefulhiker
02-25-2007, 16:51
I remember once or twice I took a nap on a picnic table at a shelter along the way or in a shelter. Usually if was because I had not slept enough the night before because some snored or something... I would just put my pad right out on the table and sleep for a liittle while. It was great.

Doctari
02-25-2007, 17:03
My longest milege days have always included a nap.
My shortest milege days ("Push real hard so I make miles") never include naps.
My longest day ever, 17+ miles involved a 2+ hr nap mid day. I didn't feel I was pushing, & wasn't totally wiped out at the end of day. I did not hike during the dark of AM or PM.

So, yes, take a nap if you want to.

Doctari.

TwoForty
02-25-2007, 17:25
I spent a summer in the Sierra and learned that the marmots have the right idea. Gorge yourself on food and take a midday nap in the sun. Everytime I come across a large rock, bald, or meadow I spread out my sleeping pad and catch a few minutes of sleep in the sun.

Jan LiteShoe
02-25-2007, 18:12
Does anyone take a nap mid-day on/near the trail?

Heck, yeah!
:)

Chef2000
02-25-2007, 18:13
I did not until I hiked on the Colorado Trail for 25 days, from 12 til three or so it was just to hot to hike, si I began taking those long btraks at midday.

Jan LiteShoe
02-25-2007, 18:14
Or, does pounding out the daily miles make taking a nap impossible?

In the hot, humid summer, try the old thru-hiker adage:

"Ten (miles) before ten (A.M.), five after five.

That leaves a good long stretch for swimming, reading, eating, napping.
Man, I miss the good life of leisure...

Jan LiteShoe
02-25-2007, 18:16

That leaves a good long stretch for swimming, reading, eating, napping.
Man, I miss the good life of leisure...

Also,, hiking in late afternoon, early evenings, you'll see lots of interesting wild life you wouldn't see otherwise. Lots of skunks and porkies in NJ, for one.

Johnny Swank
02-25-2007, 18:16
I get more miles in during the day if I take an extended break/dinner around mid-afternoon myself. I rarely did that on my thru-hike, but we used that "technique" all the time on the Mississippi River.

rafe
02-25-2007, 19:22

Yeah, I've heard it. Don't know about anyone else, but if I get in ten by one, I'm ecstatic. ;)

Topcat
02-25-2007, 20:13
Jan, you can always go back, then stumpknocker would quit calling you a former thru hiker..lol