PDA

View Full Version : Must see Pennsylvania

SergeStorms
02-24-2007, 20:21
Is there anything in Pennsylvania that you would consider a "must see"? Bars, Blue Blazes, Cool Views, Monuments, and other neat stuff. Anything to avoid?

skyhiker2
02-24-2007, 21:29
PA is filled with white-trash... I know I grew up in Phila. and lived in Harrisburg for four years... The burg is 15 minutes away from duncanon which is a hole.. Though there are some really nice parts of the mountains there.. and they only peak around 1200 feet..

EarlyBird2007
02-24-2007, 21:41
Is there anything in Pennsylvania that you would consider a "must see"? Bars, Blue Blazes, Cool Views, Monuments, and other neat stuff. Anything to avoid?

For must sees, I'd say Hawk Rock above Duncannon, the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon & Hawk Mountain. Pole Steeple near Pine Grove Furnace is nice too. My favorite stretch in PA is from Yellow Springs to Rausch Gap, sometimes known as St. Anthony's Wilderness. No one particular sight in that stretch, just a beautiful wild area with a couple of ghost towns. As for things to avoid, the rocks from about 501 north are not a lot of fun.

Bravo
02-25-2007, 00:43
The Doyle.

2Questions
02-25-2007, 08:25
The Pinnacle north on the trail from Port Clinton is my favorite view spot. Often catch hot air balloons up thru the valley, biplane from the air museum, and faces due east for a sunrise every morning.

2Questions
02-25-2007, 08:57
I uploaded 2 pics of the Pinnacle. See Views in PA gallery

soad
02-25-2007, 13:57
Skip the AT in eastern PA and head west to the Allegheny National Forest, spend a few weeks checking out the Baker Trail, Hearts Content, Cook Forest State Park, the Kinzua Dam, and the Clarion River.

After you see the real Pennsylvania, jump back on the AT in NJ and head north, you will have a better time.

emerald
02-25-2007, 14:39
Skip the AT in eastern PA and head west to the Allegheny National Forest, spend a few weeks checking out the Baker Trail, Hearts Content, Cook Forest State Park, the Kinzua Dam, and the Clarion River.

After you see the real Pennsylvania, jump back on the AT in NJ and head north, you will have a better time.

I believe this site is for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts!:rolleyes:

Those who follow the advice above will find that nothing magically changes once the I-80 bridge over the Delaware River is crossed other than the State's name and the A.T. maintaining organizations. We see this every year and I expect most, like myself, are are not amused by this bad information!;)

emerald
02-25-2007, 15:13
PA is filled with white-trash... I know I grew up in Phila. and lived in Harrisburg for four years... The burg is 15 minutes away from duncanon which is a hole.. Though there are some really nice parts of the mountains there.. and they only peak around 1200 feet..

Not sure where to start with this post, other than to say I'm sure Ed Rendell doesn't argree with your opinion about Harrisburg or Philadelphia. He likely doesn't think much of your characterization of the citizens of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, nor do I. It's also likely the residents of Duncannon have a different view of their home, than you do.

When I was young, many years ago, I was taught that if you can't say something complimentary, don't say anything at all. I can only conclude that others learned something different.

Thank you for your compliments about our mountains here which in my area average nearer 1500 feet where the A.T. runs. I must say I like them too!;)

prozac
02-25-2007, 15:34
Skyhiker's post reminds me of what an oldtimer in a Waynesboro, PA. bar told me on one hike:
"Pennsy is Pittsburgh on the west, Philly on the East and Georgia in the middle".

sparky2000
02-25-2007, 15:46
The free showers at rt.501 and eckville.... the great burger at Port Clinton Inn.

emerald
02-25-2007, 15:48
Skyhiker's post reminds me of something an oldtimer in a Waynesboro, PA. bar told me on one hike: "Pennsy is Pittsburgh on the west, Philly on the East and Georgia in the middle".

I have relatives in Georgia and I've enjoyed hiking there too.;)

Spork
02-25-2007, 16:24
PA is filled with white-trash... I know I grew up in Phila. and lived in Harrisburg for four years...

As native white-trash I can recommend a number scenic points along the AT in PA, having hiked this section many times. Just a few highlights, from east to west, include: Delaware Water Gap/Mt. Minsi, Lookout Rock/Hahn's Lookout, The Knife Edge/Bear Rocks/Bake Oven Knob off 309, , Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (not on the AT), The Pinnacle/Pulpit Rock off 61, Round Head/Shower Steps/Kimmel Lookout/Fisher Lookout off 501, the entire Swatara Gap/Saint Anthony's Wilderness/Peter's Mountain section, Table Rock off 225, Hawk Rock off 274 and Chimney Rocks off 16.

Some sections are certainly rocky, especially along the eastern half of the trail in PA (They don't call it "Rocksylvania" for nothing). I personally consider rocks all part of the grand adventure of hiking and simply welcome the pleasant respite when I encounter wide, flat trail.

Skyhiker's post reminds me of what an oldtimer in a Waynesboro, PA. bar told me on one hike: "Pennsy is Pittsburgh on the west, Philly on the East and Georgia in the middle".

That mighta' been my dear ole' Uncle-Pa! Iffin' he wasn't wearin' no shoes, do you remember iffin he have six toes on each foot? Sister-Ma surely will be relieved you seen him. :D P.S. We prefer to be called "Pennsyltucky" so as to offend two fine states for the price of one...

soad
02-25-2007, 16:41
I believe this site is for Appalachian Trail enthusiasts!:rolleyes:

Those who follow the advice above will find that nothing magically changes once the I-80 bridge over the Delaware River is crossed other than the State's name and the A.T. maintaining organizations. We see this every year and I expect most, like myself, are are not amused by this bad information!;)

Us here in the forgotten half of PA need to make our voices heard. The caviar eating elitist from the east need to recognize the legitimacy of West Pennsylvania, it's fine people and beautiful natural areas. :D :D

emerald
02-25-2007, 16:48
Us here in the forgotten half of PA need to make our voices heard. The caviar eating elitists from the east need to recognize the legitimacy of West Pennsylvania, it's fine people and beautiful natural areas. :D :D

Okay, you can tell us about all the fine folks and great places you have out there. Just be prepared for those of us in the east to return fire when we're fired upon!;)

emerald
02-25-2007, 16:59
As native white-trash I can recommend a number scenic points along the AT in PA, having hiked this section many times.

Some sections are certainly rocky, especially along the eastern half of the trail in PA (They don't call it "Rocksylvania" for nothing). I personally consider rocks all part of the grand adventure of hiking and simply welcome the pleasant respite when I encounter wide, flat trail.

:welcome Spork, that's the spirit! Seems some of these people from away just don't realize that those rocks are there for their protection -- to keep them focused on where they are putting their feet and thus keep them from treading on our rattlesnakes!

Elf
02-25-2007, 17:30
I always thought those rocks were there to make my ankles stronger. :D

Spork's list has everything I would mention from the AT itself, but I would add the AT north of Lehigh Gap, where the trees are mostly gone. It's fun to play up there.

emerald
02-25-2007, 17:43
I always thought those rocks were there to make my ankles stronger.

That too, but you'll have as hard a time selling your claim as I will my claim about rocks protecting hikers from rattlesnakes bites, but, if we persist, we'll win them over in the end! I'm afraid it may take some time.:D

Spork
02-25-2007, 17:56
:welcome Spork, that's the spirit! Seems some of these people from away just don't realize that those rocks are there for their protection -- to keep them focused on where they are putting their feet and thus keep them from treading on our rattlesnakes!

I always thought those rocks were there to make my ankles stronger. :D

Spork's list has everything I would mention from the AT itself, but I would add the AT north of Lehigh Gap, where the trees are mostly gone. It's fun to play up there.

Thanks. I take great pride in our rocks, especially since it's my job to sharpen them between Port Clinton and Eckville :D ! Every year those thru-hikers come through and dull all the nice sharp edges off my rocks. It's a thankless job but somebody's gotta do it...

By the ways SergeStorms, no visit to PA would be complete without visiting Pine Grove Furnace State Park, the official half-way point of the AT. You can even attempt the half-gallon ice cream challenge at the store even if you're not thru-hiking...although I wouldn't plan on much hiking afterwards...:sun

Sly
02-25-2007, 18:04

Nothing to avoid, but not much to see either. Still, it's a good hiking state, the miles pass quickly, and there's a good bar every 3 or 4 days. Oh, did I mention it's brutally hot and humid? :p Yeah, good bars!

Sly
02-25-2007, 18:19
There's also an excellent "blue-blaze" between the 501 shelter and Port Clinton. I'm pretty sure it's old AT as it's the logical route along dirt road. It's easy to spot on the map. At the junction a few miles from the shelter, it goes straight as the trail goes right and meanders through the woods. It also has a great spring right off the road. If I'm not mistaken, it's a about 4 or 5 miles shorter than the 24 miles on the official AT and bypasses the Eagle Nest Shelter. It rejoins the AT a few miles from town.

Makes a great 20 mile slack, if you can arrange it.

saimyoji
02-25-2007, 18:29
There is a great blue blaze trail from Windsor Furnace up the mountain to the springs. It skips the trail all the way to just passed the pinnacle, so you'd have to backtrack to see that, but its a real nice walk...old growth forest, bubbling brooks, small waterfalls....very pleasant. Or you could hike the ridiculous boulder fields....:rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
02-25-2007, 18:47
The free showers at rt.501 and eckville.... the great burger at Port Clinton Inn.

Good advice but remember if you eat at the Port Clinton Hotel (closed Mondays), a small order of fries will suffice. The "small" portion fills a platter.

emerald
02-25-2007, 19:06
There's also an excellent "blue-blaze" between the 501 shelter and Port Clinton. I'm pretty sure it's the old AT ...

That's correct, Sly. The PGC service road was the A.T. until sometime in the 1980s. I'll return to edit and insert a link to a map which can be downloaded.

emerald
02-25-2007, 20:24
There is a great blue blaze trail from Windsor Furnace up the mountain to the springs.

Like the "trail" mentioned by Sly, this trail used in conjunction with the A.T. creates opportunities for circuit hikes.

emerald
02-25-2007, 20:33
At Swatara Gap, the Waterville Bridge carries the A.T. over Swatara Creek. It is listed on the National Register of historic places.

emerald
02-25-2007, 20:37
Oh, did I mention it's brutally hot and humid?:p Yeah, good bars!

Uh, it's snowing at the moment!:p Fear not, the establishments noted remain open in the winter months too.

emerald
02-25-2007, 20:46
N of Port Clinton via PA 61 in Pottsville is America's oldest brewery. For more information about tours and their products, go here (http://www.yuengling.com/index.htm).

woodsy
02-25-2007, 21:07
N of Port Clinton via PA 61 in Pottsville is America's oldest brewery. For more information about tours and their products, go here (http://www.yuengling.com/index.htm).

Do they make deliverys to the nearest trailhead? LOL:sun

Spork
02-25-2007, 21:35
Do they make deliverys to the nearest trailhead? LOL:sun

Woodsy-
Give me about an hour or two notice and I might be able to arrange a little trail magic. :D Even white trash can be accommodating...

woodsy
02-25-2007, 22:11
Woodsy-
Give me about an hour or two notice and I might be able to arrange a little trail magic. :D Even white trash can be accommodating...

Wow, thanks, that's mighty white(trash) of you! PA ROCKS;)

emerald
02-25-2007, 22:12
Do they make deliveries to the nearest trailhead?

They deliver to Port Clinton Hotel. I suppose if you'd order enough for them to bother, they'd deliver to you personally, but do you really want to drink that much?:D

You can also travel by bus to Pottsville, tour the brewery and sample their product.:)

Now, where, I ask, can a hiker get similiar service in Maine?:rolleyes:

Shades of Gray taunts Woodsy!

woodsy
02-25-2007, 22:29
They deliver to Port Clinton Hotel. I suppose if you'd order enough for them to bother, they'd deliver to you personally, but do you really want to drink that much?:D

You can also travel by bus to Pottsville, tour the brewery and sample their product.:)

Now, where, I ask, can a hiker get similiar service in Maine?:rolleyes:

Shades of Gray taunts Woodsy!

Can't think of any, too remote round here for "service" like that:eek: . But, like PA, where theres a will, theres a way . There are only a few dry towns in all of Maine, only cause there are no stores in those towns

moxie
02-26-2007, 09:38
Can't think of any, too remote round here for "service" like that:eek: . But, like PA, where theres a will, theres a way . There are only a few dry towns in all of Maine, only cause there are no stores in those towns
Gee whiz Woodsy, what about your very own Carabasset Brewery located on the access road to Sugarloaf. I remember once about 3 miles north of west peak of Bigolow on the 4th of July. Lone Wolf was southbound. He caught scent of the brewery at least 10 miles away as the crow flies and I think he made it there in less than 2 hours. True they don't deliver but their excellent beer is worth the side trip.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2007, 09:45
Gee whiz Woodsy, what about your very own Carabasset Brewery located on the access road to Sugarloaf. I remember once about 3 miles north of west peak of Bigolow on the 4th of July. Lone Wolf was southbound. He caught scent of the brewery at least 10 miles away as the crow flies and I think he made it there in less than 2 hours. True they don't deliver but their excellent beer is worth the side trip.

i didn't go there that year. in 97 another hiker and i blue-blazed up and over sugarloaf, down a ski slope and ended up at the brewery for the afternoon. later the brewmaster girl gave us a ride to the stratton motel.

woodsy
02-26-2007, 10:12

Yes of course, Carrabassett Brewing CO, now owned by Seth Wescott...world renown Gold Medal Snowboarder, a Sugarloaf local nontheless. I agree it would be worth the side trip of 2 miles.
Just north of Carratunk, 2 miles, is Northern Outdoors Brewery, which is also a favorite stop for many hikers and well worth the side trip.

woodsy
02-26-2007, 10:21
I will also admit my friend and I were pretty dissapointed after hiking 25 miles in winter conditions from RT 4 to find the Sugarloaf Brewery closed 1 day earlier, Aaaaargh.

Jim Adams
02-26-2007, 10:48

I was born and raised in Pa. and have lived here all but 5 years of my life and I don't remember any amazing views or beautiful campsites in Harrisburg or Philadelphia! The rest of the state though is quite pretty and I am proud of our countryside. :D

If you haven't been able to actually see and enjoy the scenic areas of our state, it may be the "white trash" areas where YOU were located!:-?
geek

EarlyBird2007
02-26-2007, 11:12
Skyhiker's post reminds me of what an oldtimer in a Waynesboro, PA. bar told me on one hike:
"Pennsy is Pittsburgh on the west, Philly on the East and Georgia in the middle".That's actually a corruption of a famous line by James Carville, who managed Bob Casey, Sr.'s campaign for PA Gov. before he helped Bill Clinton get elected Prez. His actual line was that PA is Pgh on one side, Phila. on the other, and Alabama in the middle. Some of us residents of "Alabama" take it as a badge of honor!!:D

mudhead
02-26-2007, 11:25
Real stromboli, made where you have not a clue what the cooks are bickering about. That's worth looking at!

Ender
02-26-2007, 11:29

Ironic, coming from someone who currently lives in North Carolina :p ;)

c.coyle
02-26-2007, 13:43
Us here in the forgotten half of PA need to make our voices heard. The caviar eating elitist from the east need to recognize the legitimacy of West Pennsylvania, it's fine people and beautiful natural areas. :D :D

Hey jagoff! If you go the Port Clinton Hotel, get the small caviar and escargot platter.

I'm an eastern Pa. native, but I lived and worked in Pittsburgh for 7 years. You are right about Western Pa. Beautiful country, and very nice people. Definitely a different vibe from the eastern half of the state. I miss it, and try to get back 2-3 times a year.

I've said this many times on many other threads here: The Pa. AT is not representative of Pa. hiking. I read somewhere that Pa. has more trails 25+ miles long than any other state. Don't know for sure that this is true, but there are dozens of beautiful, and usually empty, trails in northern and western Pa where you can spend 3 or 4 days and hardly see a soul. The Susquehannock and Laurel Highlands are two of my favorites.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2007, 14:10
Must sees in Pennsylvania? :-?

Wel, I think every American should visit Gettysburg, and it's pretty easy to hitch to from the Trail (at Caledonia State Park).

Otherwise, I have two favorite sights in PA.

One is the Doyle Hotelin Duncannon, and the other is the view of the Jersey shore from Mt. Minsi just above Delaware Water Gap!

shuffle
02-26-2007, 14:29
I moved from PA 2 years ago to NC due to a new job after my 2004 AT hike. I love PA even the rocks!! There is so much to see there and I think if you spend your time in the city you do not know of all the wonderful trails and sights that are out there. Like all other states we have our not so nice places, but don't sell PA short. It is a great place. I liked it much better than the area I am at right now. I live near the eastern side of NC and miss the mountains a lot. Would like to get transferred to the other side to be close to the trail. So be careful when you say PA has nothing fantastic to see, you just need to know where to look!!!!!

Ender
02-26-2007, 14:48
the view of the Jersey shore from Mt. Minsi just above Delaware Water Gap!

I agree... that's a hell of a view.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2007, 15:15
Um......I wasn't really thinking about the view. It is indeed a fine one, but what I meant was that when you're there on Minsi, you're pretty much done with PA! One of the best places to view Pennsylvania is from the North shore of the Delaware river! :D

Sly
02-26-2007, 15:17
LOL.... but it has good bars and cheap beer.

dperry
02-26-2007, 15:25
I was born and raised in Pa. and have lived here all but 5 years of my life and I don't remember any amazing views or beautiful campsites in Harrisburg or Philadelphia! The rest of the state though is quite pretty and I am proud of our countryside. :D

There are some quite lovely views in the Wissahickon Creek Gorge in Philly, and also along the Schuykill River in the Miquon and Shawmont areas. No camping, though. :( Can't speak for Harrisburg: never actually been through it, just around it.

adh24
02-26-2007, 17:02
If you make trip into town at Palmerton see if you can get a hitch a few miles up 248 to Bowmenstown. The Bowmenstown diner has the best Gravy Cheese Fries.

moxie
02-26-2007, 17:40
i didn't go there that year. in 97 another hiker and i blue-blazed up and over sugarloaf, down a ski slope and ended up at the brewery for the afternoon. later the brewmaster girl gave us a ride to the stratton motel.

The brewmaster girl used to be a whitewater guide with me. She remembers you so you either were or were not on your best Lone Wolf behavior. I think it was 98 or 99 we met you on Bigelow and the two hours was, as I remember it, your predition on a time to get there. What happened to that beautiful girl that was hiking with your group that year?.:sun

emerald
02-26-2007, 18:18
It works for me, but I've got a book I'd rather read.

I agree with the poster who said that there's plenty to see in Pennsylvania, you just need to know where to look.

FWIW, I know of all kinds of places I'd like to see in both Philadelphia and Harrisburg if only I had time enough. Those who can see nothing worth looking at in those places, need to open their eyes, their mind or both! I've recently posted links to places worth visiting in both locations and those don't even scratch the surface.

I could throw up 100 posts each with a link to a place in my own county that would keep people busy for more than a month. I believe some of you wouldn't be happy in paradise.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2007, 18:31
The brewmaster girl used to be a whitewater guide with me. She remembers you so you either were or were not on your best Lone Wolf behavior. I think it was 98 or 99 we met you on Bigelow and the two hours was, as I remember it, your predition on a time to get there. What happened to that beautiful girl that was hiking with your group that year?.:sun

I was very good behavior.:) That beautiful girl was Knew-It-All. Hiked with her from Monson down to Inn At The Long Trail.

emerald
02-26-2007, 18:32
I once had a fraternity brother stay with me at my parent's home in Pennsylvania while he took a course in Philadelphia to prepare himself for the GRE. He grew up in Millinocket where Baxter State Park and Katahdin were his backyard.

I took him to Kimmel Lookout and asked him how he thought the view compared with that from Katahdin. He acknowledged they were quite different, but he liked Kimmel Lookout. I'm not saying he picked one over the other (how could one?), but rather he thought both to be beautiful in their own way.

Cheesewhiz
02-26-2007, 18:42
The 500 shower steps are pretty cool but if you are thru hiking they are far off the trail and you will see plenty more steps as you go along, but if you have the time check em out.

http://thumb1.webshots.net/s/thumb3/8/12/91/67481291pjwFHW_th.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1067481291034183661pjwFHW)

Bravo
02-26-2007, 18:48
Hey jagoff! If you go the Port Clinton Hotel, get the small caviar and escargot platter.

Yep you lived in the burgh for a while. It's been too long since I've heard jagoff. Most don't know what a jagoff is.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2007, 18:51
Yep you lived in the burgh for a while. It's been too long since I've heard jagoff. Most don't know what a jagoff is.

sounds like a term of endearment

emerald
02-26-2007, 19:04
The 500 shower steps are pretty cool but if you are thru hiking they are far off the trail and you will see plenty more steps as you go along, but if you have the time check em out.

http://thumb1.webshots.net/s/thumb3/8/12/91/67481291pjwFHW_th.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1067481291034183661pjwFHW)

If you make room in your inbox, I'll send you a PM I just wrote related to your post.

c.coyle
02-26-2007, 20:06
sounds like a term of endearment

As far as I'm concerned, you are WB's #1 jagoff. ;)

Knees
02-26-2007, 20:17
The Pinnacle north on the trail from Port Clinton is my favorite view spot. Often catch hot air balloons up thru the valley, biplane from the air museum, and faces due east for a sunrise every morning.

If I recall correctly, The Pinnacle is the spot just off the trail/on a very short spur. It's up on a summit and the AT heads down some old gravel/jeep roads as you head North. This is a must see spot. It's one of the best views in the state.

Oh, don't forget to head over to the ice cream stand in Duncannon. It's just down the street a bit from the Doyle, and it's awesome! Try the teaberry ice cream if you want a regional treat.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2007, 20:19
If I recall correctly, The Pinnacle is the spot just off the trail/on a very short spur. It's up on a summit and the AT heads down some old gravel/jeep roads as you head North. This is a must see spot. It's one of the best views in the state.

Oh, don't forget to head over to the ice cream stand in Duncannon. It's just down the street a bit from the Doyle, and it's awesome! Try the teaberry ice cream if you want a regional treat.

3Bs Ice Cream. most miss it cuz it ain't on the white-blaze. .5 from the Doyle.

Cheesewhiz
02-26-2007, 22:40
3C's diner is in Port Clinton just up the road from the peanut shop Excellent breakfast's

c.coyle
02-27-2007, 07:25
Hershey Park is a less than an hour's drive from Duncannon.

saimyoji
03-05-2007, 20:18

Just uploaded 15-20 PA pics of PA309 north to Bake Oven Knob. Great views, great trail in the snow.

Spork
03-05-2007, 21:26
Just uploaded 15-20 PA pics of PA309 north to Bake Oven Knob. Great views, great trail in the snow.

Sure, the snow covers all the rocks on the trail and takes all the sport (and pain) out of it!! :D Bet the knife edge was fun! Did you hike past the knob or just to it? I can't imagine trying to go down past it in the snow. Challenging enough in dry conditions...

saimyoji
03-05-2007, 21:39
Sure, the snow covers all the rocks on the trail and takes all the sport (and pain) out of it!! :D Bet the knife edge was fun! Did you hike past the knob or just to it? I can't imagine trying to go down past it in the snow. Challenging enough in dry conditions...

I had lunch and turned back at Bear Rocks, just before the Knob. Temps dropped to around 28* and snow squalls were moving in.

Yeah, it was very icy, I will take Yak Trax or something next time I head up there...getting that shot of the Lehigh County marker was scary. About 1 foot clearance, then straight off the cliff....great hike, very windy. :cool:

c.coyle
03-06-2007, 07:53
... Yeah, it was very icy, I will take Yak Trax or something next time I head up there...getting that shot of the Lehigh County marker was scary. About 1 foot clearance, then straight off the cliff....great hike, very windy. :cool:

Ughh! .....

Nice pix.

saimyoji
03-06-2007, 08:55
...getting that shot of the Lehigh County marker was scary. About 1 foot clearance, then straight off the cliff....great hike, very windy. :cool:

I forgot to upload this yesterday....
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15459&catid=member&imageuser=3920

The other side of the marker says Lehigh County....note the drop off. :eek:

Spork
03-06-2007, 09:15
I forgot to upload this yesterday....
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15459&catid=member&imageuser=3920

The other side of the marker says Lehigh County....note the drop off. :eek:

Actually, the other side says "If you can read this you are plummeting to your death!" :D