PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag Cooking: Shelf life?

Jim Bowie
02-25-2007, 18:13
Well, I just went out on my first winter overnight to the Jim Liberty Cabin on Chocorua in NH.

I figured this would be a great time to experiment with FBC so I pilfered a couple of recipes from the site, including Minestrone, Seafood Chowder, Rice and Beans and Cheesy Rice (there were three of us, and we ate well).

Needless to say, I will be placing my book order shortly, but I was wondering what to do with those leftover meals; in this case, Seafood Chowder. I won't be back on the trail until May at the earliest, and I was wondering if after transferring dehydrated foods to a Freezer Bag, if there would be any negative effect on either the food or bag.

Skidsteer
02-25-2007, 18:19
If you mean leftovers that weren't cooked, then just press out any air from the bag, reseal, and store in the freezer for the next trip. I've done it dozens of times.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-25-2007, 18:30
Skids beat me to the answer - I've stored them for up to a year in the freezer.

sarbar
02-25-2007, 22:36
For dry meals, one of my friends found a meal she had made 6 months or more before, and it was fine. Otherwise, stored in the freezer, 6 months to a year with no issues.
If you put dried meat in it though, use it up soon. But if it is just dried rice/pasta/dried milk/veggies, etc it wil be just fine!