PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether Packs

austinlowes17
02-25-2007, 22:33
Have any of you guys had any experience with Osprey Aether Packs. I think i'm gonna buy one, but I can't decide between the 70 or the 85.
(THEY COST ABOUT THE SAME)

Here's my gearlist:
Big Agnes Seedhouse Tent
Marmot Sawtooth 20 Degree Sleeping Bag
Two 32 ounce powerade bottles
Aqua Mira
Small First Aid
Marmot Precip Pants
Marmot Precip Jacket
t shirt/ long sleeve short (one each)
convertable "zip off" pants (1)
3 pairs of sox
Therma Rest Closed Cell Sleeping Pad (Egg Carton)
Small Alcohol Stove
20 ounce pop bottle for stove fuel
1 1/2 liter pot
Bowl/ spoon
Small Multi Tool
Small Petz Head Lamp
Personal Stuff (toothbrush, soap, meds, etc.)
Pack Cover
Pack Towel
2 liter Collapsable Platypus Water Jug
Camera
Ipod
Extra Batteries
Jounal
FOOD!!!!!!!!

Do you think all that will fit into the Aether 70 (4,400 cc. 4 lbs 9 ounces) or do you think I should play it safe and get the Aether 85 (5,400 cc. 4lbs 15 ounces) ???

rainmaker
02-26-2007, 00:07
I used the Aether 70 on my section hike last year and loved it. I don't think it is as durable as my old pack, a Dana Terraplane, but it will get me to Maine and it's two pounds lighter. As for carrying capacity, I can see no reason why the "70" will not easily carry what you listed. I carried more.

little bear
02-26-2007, 00:54
I used the Aether 70 on my section hike last year and loved it. I don't think it is as durable as my old pack, a Dana Terraplane, but it will get me to Maine and it's two pounds lighter. As for carrying capacity, I can see no reason why the "70" will not easily carry what you listed. I carried more.

why dont you think is durable? I am getting ready to buy one do you like yours.

LB

tha
02-26-2007, 01:17
Have any of you guys had any experience with Osprey Aether Packs. I think i'm gonna buy one, but I can't decide between the 70 or the 85.

Here's my gearlist:
Big Agnes Seedhouse Tent
Aqua Mira
Small First Aid
Marmot Precip Pants
Marmot Precip Jacket
3 pairs of sox
Small Alcohol Stove
1 1/2 liter pot
Bowl/ spoon
Small Multi Tool
Small Petz Head Lamp
Pack Cover
Pack Towel
Camera
Ipod
Extra Batteries
Jounal
FOOD!!!!!!!!

Do you think all that will fit into the Aether 70 (4,400 cc. 4 lbs 9 ounces) or do you think I should play it safe and get the Aether 85 (5,400 cc. 4lbs 15 ounces) ???

I am going through the same deckision-making process. I expect to go with the 85, but I usually carry too much stuff. I also have a BigAg, but the Emerald Mountain SL-3, for 2 of us. I went with the BigAg Mystic-15 bag, as well as the Marmot Precips, but I will likely hit 40 lbs at peak food and water times, and it looks like you will do better than I will. I have the Jetboil GCS instead of alc, for example, and my clothes may add up.
Regardless, have a great trip. Ospreys are great packs.

tha
02-26-2007, 01:19

Here's my gearlist:
Big Agnes Seedhouse Tent
Aqua Mira
Small First Aid
Marmot Precip Pants
Marmot Precip Jacket
3 pairs of sox
Small Alcohol Stove
1 1/2 liter pot
Bowl/ spoon
Small Multi Tool
Small Petz Head Lamp
Pack Cover
Pack Towel
Camera
Ipod
Extra Batteries
Jounal
FOOD!!!!!!!!

DUH!! I forgot to ask. How far are you going? My stuff is for a thru-hike.

hans
02-26-2007, 03:03
I've considered both packs, also, and prefer the 85 for when I want my winter sleeping bag and extra warm clothes. You can always tighten the compression straps if you don't need all the space. Just don't get tempted to fill the thing up with extra stuff just because it fits!

khaynie
02-26-2007, 06:45
I carried an Aether 60 the entire way and never had any problems with it. It's a fantastic pack! I'll be using it until it turns to dust. However, the back pad/shoulder straps get pretty wretched after weeks on use...

Have you looked at the Osprey Atmos 65? That seems like a sweet pack...it should hold you gear list comfortably. Plus it has the sewn in hip belt pockets along with an interesting ventilation system. I would purchase if I wasn't so faithful to my Aether 60 :-)

maxNcathy
02-26-2007, 12:36
My Aether 60 carries all I need. If I were taller and stronger I might go one size bigger.
Sandalwood

Footnotes
02-26-2007, 14:50
I love my Aether 60. It carries all I need and does it with grace and comfort. I see no durability issues. I probably could save a pound with one of the ultralite packs, but why scrimp on comfort?

cannonball
02-26-2007, 15:04
Go for the 85. The extra carrying capacity is great for only 5 more oz. I got the 85 because my kids are starting to hike with me and my 85 allows me to carry more than I would if I were soloing.

ScottP
02-26-2007, 15:30
if that's your gearlist you might want to consider the osprey atmos 35 and the atmos 50

John B
02-26-2007, 15:39
I'm only a section hiker with a couple hundred miles, but I have the Aether 60 and it has plenty of room. I've read the trail journals from many a thruhiker who used the 60, too, so I guess it all depends on how much stuff you plan to carry.

I carry all of my junk inside the pack, too -- tarptent, thermarest, WM 20-degree bag, miscellaneous crap like clothes, camp sandals, water filter, along with up to 5 days food inside. You'd be surprised how much junk you can get into 3,700.

Good luck.

Jack Tarlin
02-26-2007, 15:43
Got my first good look at the Atmos 65 this weekend.

It REALLY is a fine-looking pack and you might want to check it out.

Lighter than the comparably sized Aether as well.

JJB
02-26-2007, 15:54
I have the Atmos 50 and realy like it. How much did they beef up the suspention on the 65? The 50 tops out at about 30 lbs. With the added 15 liters of space I think you would be asking alot of it if they didn't bring the suspention up as well. But the 50's weight/comfort ratio is the best that I found after driving shop people nuts with questions and the like. Peace. J.J.B.

mountain squid
02-26-2007, 16:14
Not to throw big a wrench into your planning, but have you considered some lighter weight backpacks? Your gear list "looks" lightweight. How much does it weigh?

These backpacks are popular on the AT:

http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/navpage/index.html

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

If your bp is too large, you might feel compelled to carry extra stuff, just because you have the space. Anyway, just some different backpacks to consider in case you haven't heard of them.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

TwoForty
02-26-2007, 16:32
You could easily pack all of that into an Aether 60. The 70 is nice though because it has the additional bottom zipper.

eventidecu
02-26-2007, 17:19
I have the Aether 75 from a couple years ago and I love it. I find it alittle too big most of the time even while winter camping. I can't imagine the 85 or what I'd put in it to fill it up. ( I even keep my tent inside) I want to get the Aether 60 this year and thinking about the Atmos but I'm afraid of the hip belt it looks like it might hurt with no padding. But the 70 should be plenty big enough after you get settled in and rid of the things you don't need. And would leave you alittle "extra" room for winter gear but not too much as to be floppy. But I love the Osprey packs and would recommend them to anyone.

Peaks
02-26-2007, 17:45
Austin Lowes:

There is more to a pack than size. The only real way to know if a pack is right for you is to take all your gear, food, water, and fuel, and go to your local outfitter and try them on loaded with your gear, food, water, and fuel.

What may be right for me may not be the best pack for you and your gear.

eventidecu
02-26-2007, 18:37
Peaks, as I read the thread topic is "Osprey Aether Packs" and he wanted suggestions from those of us who have had experieance with Osprey Aether packs on whether the 60 or 70 would be better as far as size goe's for his gear list. Theres not any differene between the two packs in question other than size. :-?

Halfstep
02-26-2007, 22:49
I have the 70...it carrys winter gear fine...I swapped the Aether belt for the cresent belt for an extra $10...money I think well spent.

Bloodroot
02-26-2007, 23:05
I used a Aether 75 during the cold times and bought a Atmos 50 in Damascus for the rest of the way. Love both of em, but I have to admit, the Atmos 50 can get uncomfortable after adding weight beyond Osprey's weight recommendations (due to the small amount of padding in the straps and the belt).

TwoForty
02-26-2007, 23:10
Peaks, as I read the thread topic is "Osprey Aether Packs" and he wanted suggestions from those of us who have had experieance with Osprey Aether packs on whether the 60 or 70 would be better as far as size goe's for his gear list. Theres not any differene between the two packs in question other than size. :-?
The 60 does not have the bottom sleeping bag compartment/zipper.

rainmaker
02-26-2007, 23:56
why dont you think is durable? I am getting ready to buy one do you like yours.

LB

The Dana Design Terraplane is a bomb proof pack better suited to serious load carrying ie. winter camping. Everything about it is heavy duty, including the weight. The Osprey Aether 70 however, provides me with more than enough cubes for long distance hiking during our fall section hikes when we carry bulkier clothing. . I usually carry about 30 to 32 pounds and it fits like a dream. As for as durability is concerned the 2006 version uses some kind of stretch material in a sde and back panel that I suspect will fail before the rest of the pack, but I don't consider that to be a serious consideration. It is a great pack that should last for years, the Dana would last for decades.

overcame
02-27-2007, 14:31
Bought the Osprey Aether 85 from Moosejaw.com after checking them out from a local retailer. Got an Osprey Raincover for free, no tax, free shipping, plus they let me change the hipbelt size at no cost. Plus they give rewards points you can use like cash. Check them out, you wont be sorry.

overcame
02-27-2007, 14:36
Purchased the 85 from Moosejaw.com. Got a free raincover, swapped the hipbelt at no cost, no tax, free shipping. They give reward points you can use like cash. Check them out on the web. The pack is great.;)

nkeryan
02-28-2007, 20:12
hey, I hiked the trail last year and had an Aether 60 from Hot Springs to the big K. I was pushing a 35 - 40 pnd pack leaving hot springs but later snugged it down alot. It was comfy the whole time. It worked well for me and I enjoyed it. So I would imagine a 70 would be comfy around 45 at least, id get a 70 if you cant fit your stuff in a 60. Hike far.

Heater
02-28-2007, 22:49
only the dana designs pack is no longer made.

Marmot makes em now.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/MA71820

eventidecu
03-01-2007, 07:42
The 60 does not have the bottom sleeping bag compartment/zipper.
My bad, I'm thinking of the Aether when I bought my 75, in 2005. I think It came in a 65 and 75 and both had the bottom compartment, didn't realize the new 60 didn't have the zipper compartment now. I'd go with the 70 then for that reason alone. Or see if you can find one of the old 65's somewhere.

whykickamoocow
05-07-2007, 03:32
Is there much difference between the aura 50 and the aerial 55, other than the load capacity? Does anyone have some preferences and why? The Aerial looks to be a bit heavier, is that because of a hipbelt with more padding or are there other reasons.

Nightwalker
05-07-2007, 04:14
You could easily pack all of that into an Aether 60. The 70 is nice though because it has the additional bottom zipper.

I've totally worn out an '04 Aether 60. I loved it to death, literally. I've used an '07 Aether 70 for about 4 months now, and it's even better.

One thing to remember before you think about that 85: If you have all that room, you'll probably use it. My first true multi-day pack was a mid-90s JanSport Rockies II. It was a 5500 c.i. pack, and I had a really hard time getting out of the house with any sort of sensible load with it. Too much room for the "just-in-case" stuff.

I'd recommend the new Aether 70 to anyone who wanted a large pack. My lightweight Summer pack is a Gregory G, and it's as comfortable as any pack that I've worn. If you think that you can go smaller, you should at least consider that one as well.

Just my 1.5¢,
NightWalker