PDA

View Full Version : WalMart Grease Pot

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 10:49
Anyone have access to a WalMart Grease Pot ?? Would like to get my hands on one (or two) and they don't seem to be available way out here in Wyoming.

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

orangebug
02-26-2007, 11:01
Where are you looking? They are not with pots and pans, but with cooking accessories in WalMarts around the South.

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 11:09
Where are you looking? They are not with pots and pans, but with cooking accessories in WalMarts around the South.

=====================================

Scoured the entire housewares department and even asked a clerk. Just not sure it's something they merchandise out here. Found some at K-Mart but they are a little wider and won't work for me.

Would be willing to cover purchase and postage on a couple of them if anyone is willing ...on their next visit to Wallyworld.

'Slogger

1Pint
02-26-2007, 11:31

Scoured the entire housewares department and even asked a clerk. Just not sure it's something they merchandise out here. Found some at K-Mart but they are a little wider and won't work for me.

Would be willing to cover purchase and postage on a couple of them if anyone is willing ...on their next visit to Wallyworld.

'Slogger

Hey 'Slogger - I was planning on looking for myself in the next couple of days, so I'll let you know what I find out here in Ohio.
Laura

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-26-2007, 11:36
Wal-Mart has phased out the grease pots. Some older stores may still have them until supply on hand is sold out. Footslogger, if you are not able to find one, look at the cheap pans sold at Dollar General, Big Lots, etc - remove the handle and you've got a lightweight serviceable aluminum pot with a lid.

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 11:41
Hey 'Slogger - I was planning on looking for myself in the next couple of days, so I'll let you know what I find out here in Ohio.
Laura

===========================

Thanks 1Pint ...really appreciate that.

'Slogger

4eyedbuzzard
02-26-2007, 11:42
Link to item info, UPC, etc.

http://zenstoves.net/Pots.htm

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 11:44
Wal-Mart has phased out the grease pots. Some older stores may still have them until supply on hand is sold out. Footslogger, if you are not able to find one, look at the cheap pans sold at Dollar General, Big Lots, etc - remove the handle and you've got a lightweight serviceable aluminum pot with a lid.

=============================

I kinda got that impression talking to the housewares clerk in our local Walmart. Still hope I can get my hands on one. Don't need it as a cookpot and it doesn't even have to have a lid. Just looking for a very lightweight aluminum pot with those dimensions.

Might check out the Dollar Store though, now that you mentioned it.

Thanks,

'Slogger

Ewker
02-26-2007, 11:45
Footslogger, I have to go to Wallyworld after work. I will see if they have any.

Streamweaver
02-26-2007, 11:47
Get the Kmart grease pot,its better than the wally world pot(lip is rolled outward instead of inward)for about the same price.Its in with the other pots an pans,usually on a bottom shelf.

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 11:52
Get the Kmart grease pot,its better than the wally world pot(lip is rolled outward instead of inward)for about the same price.Its in with the other pots an pans,usually on a bottom shelf.

Got 2 of them ...but they are just a tad (technical term) to wide.

Thanks,

'Slogger

saimyoji
02-26-2007, 12:06
I went through this last fall. The Walmart manager at my Super Wally told me they are gone. Interestingly enough, there was a special on PBS some time ago about the success of Walmart and its influence on China. Do a little research; Walmart isn't the cheapest option around anymore. They put up huge signs with the rock bottom price for items of a category, then you work your way up....just finding it in Walmart doesn't mean its the cheapest.....I'm increasingly going to other places after comparing prices.

Outlaw
02-26-2007, 14:32
I just checked my local Wally World at lunch today for you-- the shelf I've seen them on before is void of grease pots; they now have measuring cups filling in the gap. Sorry!

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 14:38
I just checked my local Wally World at lunch today for you-- the shelf I've seen them on before is void of grease pots; they now have measuring cups filling in the gap. Sorry!

============================

Thanks for checking. Seriously appreciate that !!

'Slogger

camich
02-26-2007, 16:32
I checked while I was at Wal-Mart today. I've seen them in there before in the kitchen gadget area. Today there were none.

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 16:38
I checked while I was at Wal-Mart today. I've seen them in there before in the kitchen gadget area. Today there were none.

==========================

Thanks for checking. Must be a run on them !!

'Slogger

Outlaw
02-26-2007, 16:41
Today there were none.

Sorry 'Slogger, but it looks like WalMart has some sinister conspiracy against you!

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 16:49
Sorry 'Slogger, but it looks like WalMart has some sinister conspiracy against you!

Startin to look thataway ...

'Slogger

norub
02-26-2007, 17:11

I've been in four different Wal-Marts in 2 states over the past few weeks, none had this mythical grease pot.

jettjames
02-26-2007, 18:39
ok I give in - what is a grease pot?

pt

orangebug
02-26-2007, 19:46
The Grease Pot is a pot designed to replace the empty tin can as a place to dispose of grease. It comes with a screen to keep the crunchies out of the grease and a top to keep the cat out of the grease.

Toss the screen, and you have a very useful lightweight cook pot.

Ewker
02-26-2007, 20:18
Footslogger, no luck at my Wal-Mart.

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 20:19
Footslogger, no luck at my Wal-Mart.

==========================

That's it ...there MUST be a conspiracy !!

Thanks for checking Ewker.

'Slogger

bobgessner57
02-26-2007, 20:30
Footslogger, I think walmart is wanting us to eat wisely??? The grease pots haven't been available in several eastern NC stores since before Christmas. I guess there weren't enough hikers buying them.

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 20:33
Footslogger, I think walmart is wanting us to eat wisely??? The grease pots haven't been available in several eastern NC stores since before Christmas. I guess there weren't enough hikers buying them.

===============================

That's just WRONG !!

'Slogger

Skidsteer
02-26-2007, 20:58
I've been in four different Wal-Marts in 2 states over the past few weeks, none had this mythical grease pot.

Footslogger,

There've been no grease pots in Wal-Marts in GA, SC, NC, TN, AL, or FLA for about six months so far as I can tell. The grease pots I've seen at K-mart have been precisely the same size as the WM version except for the rolled-out lip.

Lone Wolf
02-26-2007, 20:59
i'll check out a couple of VA stores here real soon

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 22:22
i'll check out a couple of VA stores here real soon

=========================

Thanks man ...appreciate that.

'Slogger

ImkerVS
02-26-2007, 22:30
I checked a couple of Wal-Marts here in the Tri-Cities area and noticed that Wal-Mart has a new product for saving grease, made of heavy duty heat resistant plastic with some kind of bag you have to load it with. This probably has taken the Grease Pot's place, since then Wal-Mart will then get to sell you bags to fit the grease catcher.

The Greaser Pot in question is about a 5-1/2", 1.5 qt aluminum pot with "Grease Pot" on the side, to pour your grease into after frying. It can be used as a light weight aluminum cooking pot.

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 22:37
[quote=ImkerVS;329183]I checked a couple of Wal-Marts here in the Tri-Cities area and noticed that Wal-Mart has a new product for saving grease, made of heavy duty heat resistant plastic with some kind of bag you have to load it with.

==================================

Yeah ...our local WalMart has those too.

'Slogger

1Pint
02-27-2007, 10:00
I checked a couple of Wal-Marts here in the Tri-Cities area and noticed that Wal-Mart has a new product for saving grease, made of heavy duty heat resistant plastic with some kind of bag you have to load it with. This probably has taken the Grease Pot's place, since then Wal-Mart will then get to sell you bags to fit the grease catcher.

Yep, it's a conspiracy 'Slogger. I stopped by the KMart and picked up a grease pot for myself and then headed over to the WalMart but found that plastic thingy with the replaceable bags has taken over the shelf space that the very helpful employee assured me used to house the infamous and now definitely discontinued grease pot. Sorry!

She did say that if any of the WalMart stores still had them, the best bet would be one of their SuperCenters. Good luck. Maybe some enterprising hiker has been storing them and will now put them up on ebay for $25 bucks a pop plus S & H.

StarLyte
02-27-2007, 10:18
The 'Slog uses a greasepot? All rightee :banana

Well if 1Pint searched the Cleveland area, I might be outta luck, but she's far east, so I'll check far west, and that's where I found mine years ago. We'll find ya a couple.....

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 10:47
The 'Slog uses a greasepot? All rightee :banana

Well if 1Pint searched the Cleveland area, I might be outta luck, but she's far east, so I'll check far west, and that's where I found mine years ago. We'll find ya a couple.....

Thanks Starlyte ...would be great to know that my Grease Pot came from the "old neighborhood", so to speak.

'Slogger

REBELYELL
02-27-2007, 11:00
Upstate NY wallys world did'nt carry them either and ended up going to K-mart for one.The lid has a round plastic handle and the sticky label glue was a pain.Three bucks I belive

madmanhiker
02-27-2007, 11:22
you can get the same item from k-mart. I've been using the same one for years... sure it get's bent in the pack, but it reshapes itself nicely. Hope this info helps... it's about $5 bucks at k-mart.

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 11:25
you can get the same item from k-mart. I've been using the same one for years... sure it get's bent in the pack, but it reshapes itself nicely. Hope this info helps... it's about $5 bucks at k-mart.

==============================

Thanks ...knew that and have one. But the K-mart pot is about 1/8" wider than the older WalMart one. Actually need that 1/8" margin. In this case size matters !!

'Slogger

Streamweaver
02-27-2007, 12:00
Ill look in my local Wally world ,I think I did see some awhile back,gotta look way deep in the bottom shelves under all the dust.:eek:

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 12:13
Ill look in my local Wally world ,I think I did see some awhile back,gotta look way deep in the bottom shelves under all the dust.:eek:

Thanks Streamweaver ...appreciate that !!

'Slogger

partinj
02-27-2007, 14:21
Hi i Second the Kmart Grease Pot it lip turn out instead of in. I got one a few weeks back it work great boil what ever i wnat to cook so far ever try the new hamburger helper. Held two packs GOOD LUCK on your Quest :cool:

Outlaw
02-27-2007, 14:42
Upstate NY wallys world did'nt carry them either and ended up going to K-mart for one.

Not true. I live as far northward in upstate NY as you. I've previously seen them in the WM stores in both Latham and E. Greenbush.

'Slogger, this afternoon I'll be heading across the Hudson River so I'll check the E. Greenbush store for you. Keep your fingers crossed! There is also a WM Super Center I'll be near on Saturday. I'll check there if need be.

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 15:15
[quote=Outlaw;329577]'Slogger, this afternoon I'll be heading across the Hudson River so I'll check the E. Greenbush store for you. Keep your fingers crossed!

Fingers and toes crossed. Hard to work that way though !!

Thanks for checkin ...

'Slogger

Trailwind
02-27-2007, 15:43
[quote=Footslogger;328616]Anyone have access to a WalMart Grease Pot ?? Would like to get my hands on one (or two) and they don't seem to be available way out here in Wyoming.

'Slogger,

I just got back from your old stomping grounds (REI Perimeter)...at least I think you're the guy that used to work there. Anyway, I bought a WalMart Grease Pot several years ago and experimented with using it as my cookpot and never got beyond the initial tests. I don't think I have a lid for it, if I do the lid will have the little knob on top removed as I tried to cut the weight down. I think I also painted the bottom black with oven paint so it would absorb heat better. I don't have my hands on it right now, but I am pretty sure I can dig it out of a box in the basement if this might meet your needs. I'm planning on getting out this weekend and will be digging through boxes anyway. Just drop me an email at gassd (at) bellsouth.net if you want it.

Trailwind

Two Speed
02-27-2007, 15:45
Mmm, beginning to look like the Wally World grease pots are made of unobtanium. Have you checked the Weapons Bay and the Liquor Locker? Could have sworn we were using a grease pot as a spittoon in the Liquor Locker. :-?

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 15:55
'Slogger,

I just got back from your old stomping grounds (REI Perimeter)...at least I think you're the guy that used to work there. Anyway, I bought a WalMart Grease Pot several years ago and experimented with using it as my cookpot and never got beyond the initial tests. I don't think I have a lid for it, if I do the lid will have the little knob on top removed as I tried to cut the weight down. I think I also painted the bottom black with oven paint so it would absorb heat better. I don't have my hands on it right now, but I am pretty sure I can dig it out of a box in the basement if this might meet your needs. I'm planning on getting out this weekend and will be digging through boxes anyway. Just drop me an email at gassd (at) bellsouth.net if you want it.

Trailwind
=================================

YUP ...that was me. Put in 5 years at that store. Good times ! Do we know each other ??

Sent you an e-mail ...

Thanks,

'Slogger

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 15:56
Mmm, beginning to look like the Wally World grease pots are made of unobtanium. Have you checked the Weapons Bay and the Liquor Locker? Could have sworn we were using a grease pot as a spittoon in the Liquor Locker. :-?

Excellent point Two Speed. The earch colonies probably ran out of that precious metal and abandoned the design. As far as the spitoon in the Liquor Locker goes ...what happens in the Ligour Locker STAYS in the Liqour Locker.

'Slogger

Trailwind
02-27-2007, 16:04
=================================

YUP ...that was me. Put in 5 years at that store. Good times ! Do we know each other ??

Sent you an e-mail ...

Thanks,

'Slogger

We've never met, but exchanged information quite a bit back right before you abandoned us in Atlanta. If my memory is good, it seems you worked REI part time?? Anyway, every time I went in and asked for 'Toot', your former trailname, you weren't there. I'll drop you an email and let you know if I can find the greasepot this evening. I got the email with your address and glad to send it to you if you can use it. I never will.

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 16:15
[quote=Trailwind;329639] Anyway, every time I went in and asked for 'Toot', your former trailname, you weren't there.

Hmmm ..."Toot" / "Trailwind" - - kindred spirit ?? Man, old trail names sure are hard to shake in this community !!

Yeah, I was a part timer. Probably one of the longer standing ones, at least back then. Used to work nights during the week and then weekends. Had 2 other jobs back then.

Thanks a lot for diging out the Greaspot.

'Slogger

Two Speed
02-27-2007, 16:21
OK, now that the Great Grease Pot Quest has been sucessfully concluded, why are you so set on a grease pot? Making a double boiler with your 1.3 litre for trail fondue?

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 16:25
OK, now that the Great Grease Pot Quest has been sucessfully concluded, why are you so set on a grease pot? Making a double boiler with your 1.3 litre for trail fondue?

========================================

That's pretty close actually. I'll let you know if it works out !!

'Slogger

Trailwind
02-27-2007, 16:30
[quote=Footslogger;329648

Hmmm ..."Toot" / "Trailwind" - - kindred spirit ?? Man, old trail names sure are hard to shake in this community !!
[/quote]
Yep, kindred spirit and they sure are hard to shake. I work from home and curiosity got the best of me so I ran down to the basement and there it was in the second box I checked. As soon as I can find a suitable box to ship it in I will have it on the way to you.

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 16:39
Yep, kindred spirit and they sure are hard to shake. I work from home and curiosity got the best of me so I ran down to the basement and there it was in the second box I checked. As soon as I can find a suitable box to ship it in I will have it on the way to you.

========================

Sweet ...lemme know what I owe you for postage !!

'Slogger

Trailwind
02-27-2007, 16:54
Absolutely nothing. I've had so many people do trail magic for me I try to return it every chance I get.

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 17:00
Absolutely nothing. I've had so many people do trail magic for me I try to return it every chance I get.

=========================

OK then ...I owe you one. Next time I get back to the Atlanta area the first one's on me.

'Slogger

REBELYELL
02-27-2007, 19:19
I tried Camilus and Onieda as well as Syracuse nada could just be both are fairly new.That might have someting to do with it....How are you liking the relentless snow.Can't get a break up here in central NY

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 19:23
I tried Camilus and Onieda as well as Syracuse nada could just be both are fairly new.That might have someting to do with it....How are you liking the relentless snow.Can't get a break up here in central NY

Funny you should mention it ...we had a one day break and it just started SNOWING again !! Been a bad/good winter so far, depending on what side of the snow shovel you're standing.

Thanks for checking the stores. Really appreciate that.

'Slogger

Two Speed
02-27-2007, 19:25
========================================

That's pretty close actually. I'll let you know if it works out !!

'SloggerI gotta admit you got me intrigued, and StarSchlep Command has requested a full report.

(Unless the Empress Bad Ass Turtle invokes the "Tarp of Silence" on this project, in which case I'll just forget I ever heard anything about a grease pot.)

Footslogger
02-27-2007, 19:29
I gotta admit you got me intrigued, and StarSchlep Command has requested a full report.

(Unless the Empress Bad Ass Turtle invokes the "Tarp of Silence" on this project, in which case I'll just forget I ever heard anything about a grease pot.)

====================================

Gotta get clearance from the Empress before I can disclose any details. This is real hush, hush stuff !!

'Slogger

Trailwind
02-27-2007, 19:46
How are you liking the relentless snow.Can't get a break up here in central NY
I flew to Syracuse and drove up to Kingston, Ontario last Thursday, returned Sunday. Sunday morning it was -4 just North of Syracuse at 4am (cheap tickets -> early flight). When I landed in Atlanta it was upper 60's. That was a shock to this southerner! Rather than making me want to hibernate inside for another month all I could think about while in the cold was that spring was right around the corner at home and I wanted to be on the AT...so this weekend I am going.

Rufous Sided Towhee
02-27-2007, 22:35
I obtained a grease pot from k-mart today (feb 27th), price was 7 bucks. Here is a pic:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15341&c=694

On my semi-accurate scale, the pot weighs 2 oz, plus 1 oz for the lid. It has an inside diameter of 5 4/10th inches, total height of 3 1/10th inches and a maximum capacity of about 4 1/2 cups.

Outlaw
02-28-2007, 09:14
Glad to hear Trailwind was able to help you out. I tried the WM Super Center in E. Greenbush, NY last night... no go.

iesman69
02-28-2007, 12:01
Since I've read so much about them, I went in search of a Grease Pot. Like Rufous, I found one at Kmart. It was marked $6.99, but the knob for the lid had been broken off, so the cashier knocked 60%! A true Blue Light Special! It seems to work fairly well, but I'm skeptical about the durability. Anyway, thanks to all on WB for pointing out low priced cookware alternatives!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-28-2007, 12:17
I have a K-mart pot used as a second pot some - it has lasted for about 7 years. The grease pots get dents and dings, but they don't leak and seem to distribute heat as well as other thin aluminum pots.

Rufous Sided Towhee
02-28-2007, 13:09
So now that I have the new grease pot, I am looking for an eating bowl to nest into it. I've heard rumours that a margarine container fits, but we're not margarine-eaters here, so I don't have one on hand. Do they fit, or is there a better option?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-28-2007, 13:59
Gladware 14oz round and several Ziplock bowls will fit in the K-mart pot. My favorite for solo hikes is the small (2 cup) twist and lock ziplock bowl. The lid twist on and is leakproof making long rehydrations easy. I just add water in the morning and hike with it all day. By dinnertime, it is ready to heat and eat.

SunnyWalker
03-01-2007, 22:45
Tray Walmart.com

-SunnyWalker

orangebug
03-01-2007, 22:58
So now that I have the new grease pot, I am looking for an eating bowl to nest into it. I've heard rumours that a margarine container fits, but we're not margarine-eaters here, so I don't have one on hand. Do they fit, or is there a better option?The best bowl is the grease pot itself. Why dirty up or carry two items?

sloopjonboswell
03-02-2007, 01:57
a thru friend of mine gave me a good tip today about the lipton dinners. the packaging is lined with foil, pour your hot water in, wait 5-6 minutes, no messy pot. :)

Streamweaver
03-02-2007, 11:29
I checked my local Wally World and couldnt find a sign of the grease pot!! I even asked some lady that worked there and she just looked at me like I was from Pluto!!:D But then she kinda looked like she always had that look on her face!LOL:eek:

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 11:47
[quote=Streamweaver;331761]I checked my local Wally World and couldnt find a sign of the grease pot!! I even asked some lady that worked there and she just looked at me like I was from Pluto!!:D

...and according to some, Pluto isn't even a planet any more !!

But hey, thanks for checking ...

'Slogger

1Pint
03-05-2007, 11:35
Hey 'Slogger - I'm glad Trailwind is going to hook you up with a grease pot because they are truly off the shelves. I was hanging out with my dad in Portland, OR over the weekend so I detoured through the WalMart but nothing doing. They had those plastic things instead. Darn. But KMart did have the grease pot. ;)

Good luck with your project,
Laura

Rufous Sided Towhee
03-05-2007, 14:49
Wow, I never noticed the huge range of sizes that margarine comes in. Ended up actually taking my grease pot into the grocery store and experimenting until I found a margarine tub that nested perfectly inside the pot. It was the store-brand from Shop-n-Save.

Now I just gotta figure out something to do with all the margarine (ick) that I scooped out of it into a ziplock. We don't eat the stuff, and I don't do much baking either...

beamarshall
03-05-2007, 15:00
Rub it into a pine cone and hang it up for the squirrels to eat?

Footslogger
03-05-2007, 15:01
Now I just gotta figure out something to do with all the margarine (ick) that I scooped out of it into a ziplock. We don't eat the stuff, and I don't do much baking either...

Hair gel/pommade

'Slogger

Two Speed
03-05-2007, 15:22

Hair gel/pommade

'SloggerMmm, sort of like "There's Something About Mary" kind of thing. I like!

Footslogger
03-05-2007, 15:23
Mmm, sort of like "There's Something About Mary" kind of thing. I like!

I ain't goin there !!

'Slogger

Two Speed
03-05-2007, 15:25

I ain't goin there !!

'SloggerJust came back?

Outlaw
03-05-2007, 16:24
Just came back?

OUCH!!!!!!!

zelph
03-05-2007, 16:39
Wow, I never noticed the huge range of sizes that margarine comes in. Ended up actually taking my grease pot into the grocery store and experimenting until I found a margarine tub that nested perfectly inside the pot. It was the store-brand from Shop-n-Save.

I once bought a can of cat food just so I could make a stove and did'nt even have a cat.:banana Gave the food to a racoon that visits occasionally.

Soon I'll share how to build a teepee style potstand for the Kmart grease pot, watch for it in the Homade Gear Forum.

jlb2012
03-05-2007, 17:25
"Ho" made Gear Forum huh ... (GRIN) didn't know our outreach program was reaching quite that far

SunnyWalker
04-13-2007, 22:50
I don't use alum stuff. Don't want to get Alzhiemers. It makes you forgit things. And then I was sayin, um, uh. . . . .. . ..

-SunnyWalker

Skidsteer
04-13-2007, 23:04
I don't use alum stuff. Don't want to get Alzhiemers. It makes you forgit things. And then I was sayin, um, uh. . . . .. . ..

-SunnyWalker

That myth has been busted.

SunnyWalker
05-25-2007, 00:13
Really, how where? You forgit???!!?!?? -SunnyWalker

aaroniguana
05-25-2007, 06:46
Footslogger, if you didn't find any yet, PM me. I have many.

Footslogger
05-25-2007, 09:17
Footslogger, if you didn't find any yet, PM me. I have many.

I'm good to go ....but thanks very much for your reply.

'Slogger

StarLyte
05-25-2007, 09:23
With all the new types of gear, I love it when this thread and an esbit thread pops up....2 important things in my pack :D

I'm getting old-er ;) (shhhh)

Footslogger
05-25-2007, 10:30
I'm getting old-er ;) (shhhh)

=====================

Nah ...just better !!

'Slogger

SunnyWalker
05-25-2007, 22:35
Again, Try Walmart.com good luck.

-SunnyWalker

SoonerTex
09-14-2007, 21:34
Help! Calling all grease pot guru's. We don't have a K-Mart here and the Walmart sells a grease pot that has a spout and handle . I am afraid the rivets on handle will leak. Are all stainless steel containers capable of being safetly cooked in? I was at Goodwill and found a Stainless steel container, with lid, that resembles old style grease pot. This container is for storing dog treats. I didn't realize my dog was abused, since his treats are just kept in a cardboard box :) . Any input will help. Pot only cost $2.00, so not a great loss if it won't work. If it won't, I guess my dog will have a fancy place to store his treats.

SoonerTex

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-14-2007, 21:46
You can cook in any stainless steel container. Great find, Sooner Tex

SoonerTex
09-14-2007, 22:22
My dog and I thank you FD. He was worried his buddies would find out about his fancy treat container and make fun of him.:)

StarLyte
09-15-2007, 07:07
Hey there-

FD is right - you can cook in ss. The only problem with ss and grease pots is that your food sticks, try not to scorch anything.

I should have bought every grease pot on the shelf last time and saved them for folks on this list ;)

Think I'll look around for any at the local Walmarts, there's a few older ones here. If I find anything, I'll PM you.

good luck and have fun !

aaroniguana
09-15-2007, 07:58
I should have bought every grease pot on the shelf last time and saved them for folks on this list ;)

I did, I have about 10 of them. No one seemed to want them so I'm gifting them this Xmas.

CoyoteWhips
09-16-2007, 07:35
After reading this thread, I snagged a KMart grease pot. The strainer insert intrigues me. I'm wondering if I can cut the lip off, to invert it in the bottom of the pot; turn it into a steamer.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-16-2007, 07:46
I've been known to use the strainer to filter cowboy coffee and drain noodles. The steamer idea is intriguing - might even be able to bake (without browning) using that.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-16-2007, 12:48
Slooger I have an extra brand new wally world grease pot send me your address and it is yours at no charge except for postage. I have used the same one for the past five years. The lid got bent a little but otherwise it has held up well. I also fashioned a coozy out of the insulation stuff for air conditioners you can buy at lowes or builders square for the pot and the top part of the lid which has worked well. Hillbilly

Freeleo
09-16-2007, 12:52
I did, I have about 10 of them. No one seemed to want them so I'm gifting them this Xmas.
i want one...pm sent

Todd Heyn
09-16-2007, 15:07
After reading this thread, I snagged a KMart grease pot. The strainer insert intrigues me. I'm wondering if I can cut the lip off, to invert it in the bottom of the pot; turn it into a steamer.

Coyote,

That is exactly what I did. I put about a half cup of water in the bottom of the pan and then insert the upside down strainer. I then put in foil cupcake tins and use the pan to steamer-bake. It works perfectly. Here is a shot of some chocolate chip muffins from this past weekends trip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/toddheyn/915.07013.jpg

You can see the strainer in the bottom of the pan.

They were cooked over a supercat alcohol stove.

Bon Appetite

optimator
09-16-2007, 15:34
I found the Kmart type online. My question is,will these pots hold up using a cannister stove? I know they'll be fine with my alky stove but I wonder about my Giga?

Todd Heyn
09-16-2007, 15:37
I have used my Pocket Rocket with the K-Mart grease pot many times and it shows no signs of excess wear and tear.

CoyoteWhips
09-16-2007, 21:44
That is exactly what I did.

You have inspired me. This evening I made a test biscuit with my new pot.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18679&c=member&imageuser=13186

Discovered that three tea candles will easily boil the little bit of water covering the bottom of my pot for steaming -- especially with some insulation on the pot.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18681&c=member&imageuser=13186

It cooked!

aaroniguana
09-17-2007, 01:06
I had Thai noodles Sat night and grits and coffee Sun morning with mine on my canister stove, though I have made Lipton Rice and Sauce with tuna on a cat stove in the past. Freeleo, I'll put one aside for you, been a long weekend...

headchange4u
11-01-2007, 10:48
I have read through this thread, but maybe I missed it. Where exactly are you guys finding the grease paot at Kmart? What department? Cookware?

minnesotasmith
11-01-2007, 11:05
Anyone have access to a WalMart Grease Pot ?? Would like to get my hands on one (or two) and they don't seem to be available way out here in Wyoming.

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

Which has a correlation (not proven causation, but the research is still in early stages) with Alzheimer's, people with that having unusually high levels of Al in their brains. Personally, I try to stick with something Al-free for trail cooking, such as titanium or stainless steel. It might turn out to have been very wise, and if pointless, no harm done.

Fiddleback
11-01-2007, 11:08
I can tell you where I'm not finding it.:rolleyes: After each stoll down the store aisles I wonder if I've witnessed the birth of an urban legend here.:D I don't even want one now...I just want to see this un-Holy Grail.

FB

dessertrat
11-01-2007, 11:28
Which has a correlation (not proven causation, but the research is still in early stages) with Alzheimer's, people with that having unusually high levels of Al in their brains. Personally, I try to stick with something Al-free for trail cooking, such as titanium or stainless steel. It might turn out to have been very wise, and if pointless, no harm done.

Curious. I wonder if perhaps those people do not consume more aluminum, but have something chemically different in their brains that attracts and binds aluminum with greater efficacy than the general population. Sort of the inverse of how some people consume mountains of calcium and still have a calcium deficiency in their bones.

minnesotasmith
11-01-2007, 12:02
Curious. I wonder if perhaps those people do not consume more aluminum, but have something chemically different in their brains that attracts and binds aluminum with greater efficacy than the general population. Sort of the inverse of how some people consume mountains of calcium and still have a calcium deficiency in their bones.

It may be just as you guessed it; we just don't know right now.

However, there is one respect in which the Aluminum-in-Alzheimer's victims situation is NOT analogous with the inadequate Calcium-absorbers you referenced. The latter can take all the Ca they will, without getting the result they need. Someone wanting to limit their odds of contracting Alzheimer's (presuming the apparent Aluminum consumption dosage link turns out to be real), can reduce their intake of this apparently useless metal, and then there'd be no Aluminum to cause them problems. :)

As a minor aside, note that even relatively small amounts of Mercury is devastating to the protective oxide coating that all bare aluminum metal normally forms practically instantly in an oxidizing (oxygen-containing) atmosphere such as we have on Earth, forming a physically weak amalgam as it does with Gold. I suspect there may end up being a connection between Mercury intake and susceptibility to Alzheimer's (but cannot begin to prove it). That's another reason IMO to go easy on the tuna, one of the most common foods that often have somewhat elevated levels of mercury. (Other oily fish, such as salmon, cod, herring, and the mackerels, also desirable to eat BC of their heart-protecting Omega-3 oils, are much smaller, and thus generally contain substantially less Mercury and other undesirable heavy metals than do tuna.)

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/09550e0796b84010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

partinj
11-01-2007, 12:21
Hey Footslogger i had a walmart Grease Pot till it got flat i check them Kmart and walmart are the same size it just because the lip on the Kmart roll out instead of gone in that make seen that way it is the same size.

partinj
11-01-2007, 12:22
I have read through this thread, but maybe I missed it. Where exactly are you guys finding the grease paot at Kmart? What department? Cookware?
Yes it with the pots pans down on the bottem cost 8.49

Outlaw
11-01-2007, 13:16
I can tell you where I'm not finding it.:rolleyes: After each stoll down the store aisles I wonder if I've witnessed the birth of an urban legend here.:D I don't even want one now...I just want to see this un-Holy Grail. FB

It probably helps if you know what you're looking for. The Kmart grease pot is a small (+/- 5.25" diameter by +/- 3" tall) black "pot" with an bright aluminum lid embossed with the word, "grease" on it. The lid has a black plastic knob on it. The one I got at Kmart had a yellow manufacturer's sticker on the side of the pot.

I found mine in the aisle with pots on one side and colanders & other kitchen equipment on the other side. IIRC it was near the colanders.

Or, you could just ask someone that works there... assuming you can find someone. :rolleyes:

mozzie
11-02-2007, 00:12
in L.a. lower alabama i have tried over and over at wally w. with no luck

jlb2012
11-02-2007, 08:23
in L.a. lower alabama i have tried over and over at wally w. with no luck

try Kmart instead - the wally world grease pot was discontinued a few years ago

Ewker
11-02-2007, 09:42
Kmart is still in business??

Roland
11-02-2007, 12:15
They closed all their stores in my area. I thought Kmart was on the brink of doom. Then, a few years ago, I read that they bought Sears. They couldn't have been doing too badly.

Appalachian Tater
11-02-2007, 12:23
They closed all their stores in my area. I thought Kmart was on the brink of doom. Then, a few years ago, I read that they bought Sears. They couldn't have been doing too badly.

Here's the story: http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/17/news/fortune500/sears_kmart_investors/index.htm

SunnyWalker
06-05-2008, 16:46
Walmart.com -go there and purchase it.

SunnyWalker
06-05-2008, 18:31
Soory. Walmart.com does not have the greaspot.

rdpolete
06-05-2008, 20:10
Walmart does have a new grease pot by IMUSA. I think it is .8 liter with a lid, handle and a strainer that sits on top and has a tinny handle on it. I think it weighs in at just under 4 oz.

KnowledgeEngine
06-05-2008, 21:16
I've got a easy question for all these people who claim aluminum is so bad.

Do you
..A)Use deodorant/anti-prespirant (can be over 50% Al by volume, and your armpits are in the top 5 most absorbant non-mucus tissue on your body)
..B)Carefully screen your food both "raw" ingridents and prepared foods for aluminum deriviates? By weight this is most peoples largest intake, being used as preservaties.
..C)Drink water from your facuet? Most municipalites use aluminum sulphate in making your drinking water drinkable. It makes up to 5% of most peoples intake.

A brief list of other things you may or may not use: Toothpaste, cosmetics , shampoo, stypic pens, antacids, prescription drugs, chewing gum, green and black tea, most soy based food products, pre-ground coffee, cigarettes......there are more but I'll stop here.

Aluminum is the most abundant metal on earth. You cannot avoid intaking massive quanitities of it in daily life, my point being is what you get from aluminum cookware makes up a fraction of 1% of all of it you absorb over your lifetime. People using antacids can intake 5 grams a day in some cases. Have you ever had a camping pot lose 5 grams of weight? Don't we wish!

If you chose to pay the premium it is your choice. I just wanted to impart some impartial facts on what all else contains it. I will disclose that I own a MSR Titan Kettle. I got it on clearance, pocket rocket + titan kettle + discount cost me $40, how could I turn down that deal? No more than the grease pot. But the chemical composition had nothing to do with it. I mainly got it for cost, and because my Al cookware has gotten dinged and dented in my pack before. This one has not...so far.

Odd Thomas
06-06-2008, 01:47
Re Aluminum

The body can safely handle 20mg of Aluminum per day. Cooking in Aluminum can add up to 4mg of aluminum to your food. It's not that big a deal really, if you're in the woods and not ingesting a lot anyway, just using aluminum cookware you're still probably consuming less than the average person.

I still season the aluminum with a nice patina of olive oil though.

SunnyWalker
06-06-2008, 17:39
Knowledgengine: hey thanks for the info. Wow, thats a lot of alum we all take in. I will look over the Walmart greaspot if I can find one. It is probably lighter than the pot I use now. Thanks again. You convinced me.

Montana Mac
10-15-2008, 17:55
Walmart does have a new grease pot by IMUSA. I think it is .8 liter with a lid, handle and a strainer that sits on top and has a tinny handle on it. I think it weighs in at just under 4 oz.

While looking for a Wal-Mart Grease pot I came across this. It is an Imusa Aluminum Mug. It is 4.75” in dia. x 4.25” H – weighs 3.5 oz as seen here and holds 5 cups of water to the very top. A MSR 8 oz fuel IsoPro canister drops right in..

I will most likely cut the handle off the mug and see what weight I save doing that. I will also make a light lid out of the bottom a disposal aluminum pie pan.

Montana Mac
10-15-2008, 17:58
I have yet to be able to find a Wal-Mart Grease Saver (pot) but did find this – An Ismua Grease Dispenser that weighs just over 4 oz without the strainer and hold just slightly over 4 cps of water to the very top. A Jetboil Jetpower 3.53 fl oz canister will drop right into this.

oops56
10-15-2008, 18:38
Yes that grease pot is nice but if you not boiling 4 cups water all the time its a wast of time a shoter pot with lid filled almost to the top and less air space will boil faster.

SunnyWalker
12-03-2008, 23:12
I found a KMart and found a Kmart greasepot. It is very lightweight alright. comes with a lid that its pretty handy. But I do wonder about its durability. But reading this thread and others, it sounds like it can last a while. Certainly for a hike or two, even a thru hike. It will work great with the Triangia stove I have now. Thanks for the advice one and all.

JumpInTheLake
12-05-2008, 21:54
The Grease Pot is a pot designed to replace the empty tin can as a place to dispose of grease.

Pardon me for saying so but a grease pot is for storing grease that you wish to re-use. It is not for disposal.

You do save your bacon grease to fry trout, shrimp and chicken - don't you?

I personally have moved away from the old grease pot, and I now store grease in glass jars in the fridge.

lizzieGAME09
01-23-2009, 21:34
I'm getting this pot from Target (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=huc_ja_1_txt/184-0554451-7348723?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001AS6DOS&nodeID=&merchantID=A1VC38T7YXB528) as a fill-in for the mysterious Walmart grease pot. It's made of alumni and is 8.5 X 7 X 6". I'll let you know if it works.

WritinginCT
01-23-2009, 22:36
I have yet to be able to find a Wal-Mart Grease Saver (pot) but did find this – An Ismua Grease Dispenser that weighs just over 4 oz without the strainer and hold just slightly over 4 cps of water to the very top. A Jetboil Jetpower 3.53 fl oz canister will drop right into this.

Will the lid still fit properly without the strainer?

I bought a different brand at PriceChopper that the lid doesn't fit if you remove the strainer.

mister krabs
01-24-2009, 08:06
Will the lid still fit properly without the strainer?

I bought a different brand at PriceChopper that the lid doesn't fit if you remove the strainer.

yes. the imusa top fits without the strainer.

Christopher Robin
01-24-2009, 18:46
I was in Walmart the aother day looking for the greaes pot and was told that they are no longer carring them.

4eyedbuzzard
01-24-2009, 19:01
Yep. There's a reason no one can find Walmart grease pots anymore. They don't buy/make them anymore. Now there are Kmart grease pots.

So if you want a Walmart grease pot, you have to go to Kmart.

WritinginCT
01-25-2009, 00:16
yes. the imusa top fits without the strainer.

Oh that's cool! I've been trying to jury rig mine and it just doesn't work.

BTW - because I am a total dork. I contacted Mirro/Wearever about the original Walmart grease pots - this is the response I got:

We thank you for your email via WearEver.com. Unfortunately, we no longer manufacture this product. Sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you.

We thank you for writing to us. If you have additional questions, please contact a representative in our consumer service department at 1-800-527-7727. Representatives are generally available from 8:00am to 5:30pm EST, Monday thru Friday.

Sincerely,
WearEver Consumer Services

Think if we all call and whine they would make a special batch just for us? :D

optimator
01-25-2009, 00:46
I've got the AGG 2 quart pot. It works great with my Gigapower.

Heartpine
07-14-2009, 20:33
I just found out about the IMUSA grease pot and also just went and found it at our local Walmart, its just as dreamy as advertised. There were about 8 at this location.

KMACK
07-14-2009, 22:31
https://end2endtrailsupply.com/Aluminum_Cookware.html

GrubbyJohn
07-14-2009, 22:51
i bought that imusa at my wall mart yesterday for 6.99 it's perfict holds my fuel can and stove and a rag, it do get hot

Franco
07-15-2009, 01:33
I did some quick tests with my 900ml (5" wide) pot and the 550 ml mug (3.5" wide) .
Boiling two cups of water ,regardless of the size of the flame , the 900ml came to a roaring boil about a minute faster than the mug.
Both are Ti, but the 550 has a thinner wall ,so it "should" boil quicker.
This is not taking into account any windscreen. So in this case (pots on top of my gas stove at home...) wider is better
In other words there are , as usual, plenty of different factors to consider.
Franco

CowHead
07-15-2009, 07:02
I found this 2.5 inch pot at overstock it's stainless steel http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Stainless-Steel-Minipot/3489967/product.html $11

Ladytrekker
07-15-2009, 10:38
http://www.amazon.com/Stanco-Non-Stick-Grease-Strainer-Black/dp/B000MVTIOQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1247668029&sr=8-2

Amazon.com carries this brand. The original grease saver was made by Mirro which is made by wearever. The only brand I can find is the Stanco, not sure if they have quit making them or what.

Ladytrekker
07-15-2009, 10:42
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u758464

This is another one. Also called Stanco Grease Strainer

mark schofield
07-15-2009, 11:33
this is what they now have at Wally's. like GrubbyJohn said - $6.99

http://www.imusausa.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=43&Itemid=6

Johnny Swank
07-15-2009, 11:37
Does the lip on the wallyworld pot roll inward or out?

gohawks
07-15-2009, 12:12
I have the IMUSA. Out here in Iowa Wal-Mart doesn't carry them. Weird. They are very much marketed/carried in locations with a higher density of Mexican-Americans. We have an unusually large population of Mexicans for Iowa yet no IMUSA at our Walmart.

Anywho I had someone ship me the mug and the grease pot. I took the lid from the grease pot and use it on the mug.

Boils up to a couple of cups perfectly and is light. I like it.

Ladytrekker
07-15-2009, 13:30
I have the IMUSA. Out here in Iowa Wal-Mart doesn't carry them. Weird. They are very much marketed/carried in locations with a higher density of Mexican-Americans. We have an unusually large population of Mexicans for Iowa yet no IMUSA at our Walmart.

Anywho I had someone ship me the mug and the grease pot. I took the lid from the grease pot and use it on the mug.

Boils up to a couple of cups perfectly and is light. I like it.

I have a complete set of IMUSA they are called calderos and are sold widely in Miami, I was turned onto them by some Cuban friends. As far as the pots they are amazing to cook in and stuff surprisingly does not stick to it. I do not have and like the grease pot because of the handle it would be a great item to use with my msr pocket rocket.