PDA

View Full Version : dehydrators

Joshrm78
02-26-2007, 15:26
I have never used a dehydrator before but was interested in which one u would recomend i was looking at http://www.nesco.com/products/?category=300&subcat=100&id=303 is there anything i should look for in paticular? I have no clue so any advice is appriciated. I will be dehydrating venison with it to if that matters.

Jim Adams
02-26-2007, 15:47
I have been dehydrating for years and there are so many different recipes, times, processes that you really need to take all of the advice that you can and experiment to see what works best for you but I have learned two important items that others have taught me over the years.
1. DO NOT buy a dehydrator that uses a light bulb for the heat source and...
2. you don't need the expense of a dehydrator that has variable heat settings...almost everything that you do with your dehydrator requires the same temps.
Experiment and have fun.
good luck,

geek

camich
02-26-2007, 15:54
I asked the same question about a year ago. We went with the Nesco Gardenmaster. It works great! We love it...plan of firin' it up this weekend for some new experiments.:sun :)

The Weasel
02-26-2007, 16:12
I did all of my drying - over 100 lbs of soy meat, fruits, rollups, veg, using my home oven. 150 degrees, items on saran wrap in a cookie sheet, move the items every 4-5 hours, usually done overnight. Remember to leave the oven door open 2-3 inches.

The Weasel

Cuffs
02-26-2007, 16:22
I went with Excalibur (http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/) because of the timer. FYI, you can only buy an Excalibur with a timer directly from them, they do not market timed dehydrators to retailers.

Some will knock the timer saying its not needed. For the most part, I agree. However, because of my work and work schedule, I may or may not be home when its time to turn it off. The timer has paid for itself already because of that.

Cuffs
02-26-2007, 16:23
1. DO NOT buy a dehydrator that uses a light bulb for the heat source and...

What... you dont like Easy Bake Ovens? ;)

saimyoji
02-26-2007, 16:27
I will be dehydrating venison with it to if that matters.

I am the official venison jerky quality control/taste tester for WhiteBlaze.net. Please send me 1 lb of the jerky you make for quality assurance purposes. PM me when its done for mailing address. :D

Joshrm78
02-26-2007, 16:45
Oh so heres another question if u were buying a dehydrator today which one would u buy? And price is important i dont mind spending 150 bucks but would rather not if i dont have to..

Ewker
02-26-2007, 16:49
Nesco has quite a few under the price you want. Good dehydrator BTW. I have the Snackmaster Pro. Got it at Wally World for less than the shown price. Also check Academy Sports. They use to carry them and all of the extras

http://www.nesco.com/products/?category=300

Cuffs
02-26-2007, 16:55
Oh so heres another question if u were buying a dehydrator today which one would u buy? And price is important i dont mind spending 150 bucks but would rather not if i dont have to..

While the price for the Excaliburs will be an issue, I can say that their customer service is imepcable! Never have been on hold with them. Small, family owned business in CA. I changed my order (lay-away) 3 times because they had different specials running, they never said a thing. And they offer a 10 year warranty!!!

I would buy another tomorrow (pricing is the only down factor)

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 16:58
Did a lot of searching before I bought ours.

Got the Nesco - American Harvest.

Thing to look for IMO is wattage. From my experience you want to be in the 1000 to 1500 range. Otherwise it takes a very long time to dehydrate certain things.

If time isn't a factor then take the above comment with a grain of salt.

'Slogger

g8trh8tr
02-26-2007, 17:29
I have the exact model you are looking at and it is a great dehydrator. I use it all the time and love it.

Lyle
02-26-2007, 17:37
Excalibur.

beckybellis
02-26-2007, 17:52
I have never used a dehydrator before but was interested in which one u would recomend i was looking at http://www.nesco.com/products/?category=300&subcat=100&id=303 is there anything i should look for in paticular? I have no clue so any advice is appriciated. I will be dehydrating venison with it to if that matters.
that is the same one i have, love it!!!!!!!!!! got it for 44 bucks at fleet farm:D

beckybellis
02-26-2007, 17:54
have this one.. love it!! would recommend it to anyone new to dehydrating:)

Joshrm78
02-26-2007, 18:09
thanks for all ur input i think ill end up buying it once i make sure my morgage is payed lol.

Footslogger
02-26-2007, 18:15
thanks for all ur input i think ill end up buying it once i make sure my morgage is payed lol.

=============================

That brings up a good point ...what do they cost nowadays ?

I think I paid about $125 for mine and then order 4 more trays and bunch of different tray liners. Don't remember what those "extras" cost.

'Slogger

hopefulhiker
02-26-2007, 18:18
Look at the wattage. We got one that wasn't very good but later we got one with a thousand watts, 200 dollars I think.. It made a world of difference...

kyhiker1
02-26-2007, 23:28
I have been dehydrating for several years and use the Nesco-Gardenmaster.....Great Machine!!:-?