PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with young kids

sleepwalker
02-26-2007, 20:51
Well we just had our 3rd child 2 weeks ago and all is well, except that's several more years tacked onto my wait to thru. Par for the course, though, for us parents. I wouldn't trade my kids for the world but I still have an irresistable itch to be out in the back country. Opportunities to escape...even for a weekend are few and far between at this point.

I have already started acclimating my youngest son(who will be 2 in march)to hiking and backpacking. When he was 18 months old, he "bagged" the Copake Falls trail here in NY. 1.5 miles total, with a little monkey backpack(just hauling a digital camera and some rocks he picked up on the way) all on his own...and loved it. I got the impression that a mile and a half was his outter limit, though, as he was a little winded on the way down the hill. Amazing though for a child his age!

This season, I would like to take him out on somewhat longer trips...if not in distance, time. I would like us to do a loop trail with moderate elevation change, make camp, etc. Has anyone had any experience taking very young kids into the backcountry overnight? Am I crazy for even hoping to take him out, yet? I would like him to accompany me on my next thru attemp and the sooner the better. Also I would like him to have a big jump on life in the woods. Any stories or tips would be greatly appreciated!

gearhound
02-26-2007, 23:58
Check out Just Jeff's site for tips on hiking with kids. He has a great article there.

http://www.tothewoods.net

4eyedbuzzard
02-27-2007, 02:25
I took mine on overnights and two night weekends on the AT starting at ages 3 1/2 and 5. Two years old is pretty young but if it's only one child it's probably do-able. If you're going alone with him be prepared for the possibility of a little seperation anxiety from Momma and being afraid at night in the woods.

For us five miles or less(3 with a midday saturday start) was about our daily limit depending upon the terrain, which in the NJ sections we usually hiked is not too severe. They carried their own packs with sleeping bags, pads, clothes, hygiene, etc. I carried most everything else. I think they could have carried more though. They certainly filled up all the available pack pockets with interesting geological finds. I did convince them finally that the idea was to NOT increase your pack weight as you went along - well, unless it was a REALLY cool rock.:-?

Figure on starting late and stopping early - kids like to hike, but do tire more easily than adults(they need A LOT more breaks), and it takes more time to get going in the am and to make camp in the pm. They also get dehydrated more easily, keep an eye on them and make sure they're drinking enough water. But more than hiking, kids love to camp. Consider perhaps making more elaborate meals than you might for just yourself. Bring their favorites within reason. My experience is all pre freezer bag cooking, as reflected in our menu, but even so I think little ones will do better with more sturdy plastic bowls. For breakfast we usually did cereal with powdered milk and had a bagel or english muffin with jelly and sometimes had little fruit cups or made pancakes(small syrup packs from fast food places are great). Lunch would usually be summer sausage, salami, PB, tuna, cheese, crackers, english muffin or bagel, etc. For dinners, in addition to some fresh meat carried for the first night and even second if frozen and wrapped in styrofoam (boneless pork chops, ribeyes, burgers do well on a backpacking grill, and hot dogs are real easy in a small pot or better yet as pigs in blankets on a stick with cresent rolls over a fire), my kids loved noodles or rice and sauce, instant mashed potatoes with gravy, mac and cheese, pudding for desserts(instant - shake it in a chinese soup container) and marshmellows for the absolutely imperative campfire are a must. Hot cocoa goes without saying(save a few marshmellows).

They were great at gathering downed dry wood and water once "schooled"(don't forget that whistle!), and really enjoyed reading the trail guide and maps, using the compass, and figuring out which way to go(it's an adventure!) Going to the toilet can be a bit of an issue even if you're lucky to find a privy(ew, stinky and yucky:eek: ), but they'll get the hang of it. Bring plenty of "huggies wipes", you'll need them, not just for latrine calls but for general clean-up as well. Kids get 10 times dirtier than adults in the outback.

We stayed in shelters a few times, but more often in tents near the shelters. The mice and bugs didn't always appeal to the kids. Sometimes I slept in a shelter and my kids slept in a tent(I have four) right outside(what rules?).

Don't know if this helps. Two is pretty young to do much actual hiking, but just being out there should be fun.

gsingjane
02-27-2007, 08:03
Everyone's kids are different, that's for sure. I found my kids could hike before age 8, but could not really be expected to carry a pack or have a notion that you were going from "here" to "there" with your stuff. They enjoyed the experience of being outdoors, for a while, but then it began to pale and they wanted to sit down in the middle of the trail. But as I say, you may have better luck with your kids.

Jane in CT

neo
02-27-2007, 08:47
Well we just had our 3rd child 2 weeks ago and all is well, except that's several more years tacked onto my wait to thru. Par for the course, though, for us parents. I wouldn't trade my kids for the world but I still have an irresistable itch to be out in the back country. Opportunities to escape...even for a weekend are few and far between at this point.

I have already started acclimating my youngest son(who will be 2 in march)to hiking and backpacking. When he was 18 months old, he "bagged" the Copake Falls trail here in NY. 1.5 miles total, with a little monkey backpack(just hauling a digital camera and some rocks he picked up on the way) all on his own...and loved it. I got the impression that a mile and a half was his outter limit, though, as he was a little winded on the way down the hill. Amazing though for a child his age!

This season, I would like to take him out on somewhat longer trips...if not in distance, time. I would like us to do a loop trail with moderate elevation change, make camp, etc. Has anyone had any experience taking very young kids into the backcountry overnight? Am I crazy for even hoping to take him out, yet? I would like him to accompany me on my next thru attemp and the sooner the better. Also I would like him to have a big jump on life in the woods. Any stories or tips would be greatly appreciated!

:) congrats on your 3 rd child,i have 2 sons,hank 13 and logan 11
when i started taking my boys in the woods i was packing baby wipes
and diapers for my youngest,i started them out on car camping trips
and short walks,they started backpacking on their 4 th birthday
logan my youngest hike 35 miles in 3 days carrying his own pack between
I-40 and hot springs nc when he was 5 years old,he started kindergarten
the next day,i got to many stories to type,enjoy your family,and may
you have many happy trails together:cool: neo

bigmac_in
02-27-2007, 10:25
Ok, I'll give the honest answer - you're crazy......... LMAO ! ! !

weary
02-27-2007, 10:48
Kids are sturdier than most parents believe. My youngest spent two nights at Chimney Pond in Baxter Park -- half way to the summit of Katahdin -- at age three years and three months. I boosted him over a couple of big rocks, but otherwise he walked the whole 7 mile round trip -- with a pack.

The pack wasn't my idea. He insisted on one just like the packs carried by his brother four, and sister, six. All three climbed to the summit of Katahdin two years later.

Over the years the three backpacked most of the 283 miles of the Maine AT before the age of 13 or so, mostly in weekend and vacation hikes.

The key to hiking with young kids is to take plenty of time and to go slow. Let them set the pace. Our annual trips to Chimney Pond took six hours or so at first. The speed picked up as the walk became routine, but we rarely exceeded a mile and hour.

I think it important that kids carry at least some of their gear. It makes them part of the expedition -- not just kids following their parents.

Weary

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-27-2007, 11:09
I strongly suggest you read this trail journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3002) before attempting your thru-hike. It will give you some idea of what to expect and to prepare for. My son did his first overnight at about 3-4 months (in my sleeping bag). He was an old pro by the time he was 3 and did his first hike with a pack at 5. Watch and listen to your child - no two are alike. He will let you know by his attitude and behavior when he is ready for more responsibility for himself while hiking. He will also let you know when he needs to rest and when he needs to stop and just be a kid for a while. As Weary notes, hiking with children is not the same as hiking with adults.

madmanhiker
02-27-2007, 11:32
sleepwalker -

I have 3 boys. My oldest who is now 13 went on his first week long mini-expedition in the Smoky's when he was six. He gained his trailname there as 'scooter' because he just looked like a pack with 2 tiny legs just scotting up the trail. He was able to do the twenty-mile ranger station loop up to gregory bald, and did the loop back down to the ranger station. (about 31 miles!) Sure, he complained a bit, but he did it, and the rewards were huge. Last year, I took the too smaller boys (5 & 8, & my then 12 year old) to do a small 2 day trip out..... what a stark contrast. I swore that I would never do it again until they were at least 10 years old. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really depends on your kids...... you know them, you know their temperment and their capabilities. You're call.

I've also been an adult leader for High Adventure crews for the Boy Scouts (ages 14-17). Those boys you can push, the younger one need tender leadership. God speed, and good luck.

jesse
02-27-2007, 12:53
Your kids will let you know when they are tired. If you don't over do it they will be fine.

sleepwalker
02-27-2007, 19:07
It's encouraging knowing that many of you have had success, regardless what the degree at first. Weary, your suggestion of letting them set the pace is something I didn't think of but definitly something I will work on! I have a tendancy to fly on the uphills but I'll have to adjust. But I think in the long run it'll be more enjoyable for us both.

Neo, I'm packing wipes and dipes as well! lol That's why I thought it was far too early...but I feel somewhat empowered now. One big part of it was that I never had a dad to show me this stuff so I figured it all out on my own. I want to make sure I make this an experince that my kids will want to make a lifelong persuit. Doing it right is key...although I don't think you can do wrong spending time with the kids no matter what your doing. But what could possibly be better than teaching them how to enjoy life in the wilderness?

Thanks to all for the additional reading resources, Ill look into them!

OrionTheRanger
02-27-2007, 19:54
Considering how I would understand the mind if a kid best here, being the youngest member of WhiteBlaze, here is what I say.

Go for it. My parents introduced the woods to me at a younge age and as you can probably see from my being here I am very into the outdoors. But make sure you know the kids limit, if he gets tired and it becomes miserable for him then he could grow to hate the ourdoors. Try to bring foods he likes, but think about what is best for hiking. Dont talk that part over with him yet though, kinda of a boring subject to a 2 year old. Also dont over do it, even if he is plenty rested. In show-bix they say Leave them wanting more. so do that with him. Its a pretty efective method.

As for doing a thru with your kids, that may be pushing it. I would think that someone would need to be my age before they could do a 2000 mile trail.

Wow...hereing all these kids doing things like that when they were 3-5...Thought i was outdoorsy for a kid. But mabye it has something to do with the matter I dont have many places nearby to do this stuff.

SteveJ
02-27-2007, 21:35
It's encouraging knowing that many of you have had success, regardless what the degree at first. Weary, your suggestion of letting them set the pace is something I didn't think of but definitly something I will work on! I have a tendancy to fly on the uphills but I'll have to adjust. But I think in the long run it'll be more enjoyable for us both.

I agree strongly w/ Weary about letting them set the pace - especially at 2. He'll be squatting down and looking at rocks, bugs, etc... I'll never forget my oldest reaching down and grabbing a handful of fire-ant bed! We took a pretty long break to knock the ants off, put some salve on, and calm him down. My middle one always had a talent for picking up a rock and finding a snake. I'm pretty driven, and found it pretty difficult to let them set the pace without urging them on....which quickly becomes 'not fun' for them.... Be aware and set very conservative mileage goals!

Askus3
02-28-2007, 16:37
As for distance, I have found with daughter, from age 2-20, we basically were able to go a mile per year. So age 2, we went 2 miles, 3 - 3 miles and so on. She loved being with her daddy and we enjoyed these bonding hikes and outings which were about once a month. I never made it more frequent because I wanted her to look forward to the hikes.

Another thing I found with my daughter, she did not distinguish tired from bored. A flat walk in the woods was no fun, easy -YES, but she was tired (BORING). She loved exciting short scrambles or waterfalls. So we loved the Lemon Squeezer, Breakneck Ridge in the NY area. She climbed the Beehive in Acadia at age 6. She learned real fast when the sign read caution or something like that and children should not be climbing due to the metal rungs, (she just started learning to read) she got all excited, "I'm grown-up, I can handle it". She also liked to swim, so staying at Lonesome Lake Hut and climbing the Hi-Cannon ladder to the summit of Cannon was fun. By the way her first hike at age 2 was a climb up the Normanook Fire Tower on the AT in the NJ Kittatinnies. Her favorite hike was at age 7 when she scrambled throught the Mahoosuc Notch. When we got to the north end we retraced our steps and went back out! Last year at 24, we had a week of quality hikes together and hiked in Yosemite and climbed Half Dome! Father & daughter still hiking together - I consider myself lucky.

Alligator
02-28-2007, 17:34
We took our son out last spring at 2.5 years old for an overnighter. He didn't have a backpack, he just walked. He loved it. It was about 2 miles and flat. However, walking on rocks with little feet was difficult for him and our progress was slow. It looked completely flat to me though.

I found the Orikaso plate/bowl/cup set extremely useful for Mom, Dad, and him. We just needed one plate, one bowl, and the two cups.

Anyplace with a stream is fun.

A tip someone else mentioned was to scoop any waste out of the diapers into a cathole and let the diapers dry in the sun. That bag is toxic and heavy on the way out though, bring strong trash bags!

We used a Megamid (teepee) tent, but be aware that a child can roll out under the wall depending on setup. It sends a chill up your spine to hear them crying outside the tent in the middle of the night. So be wary with a floorless tent.

mweinstone
02-28-2007, 17:52
floorless shmoorless.MY great son maximillion bagged the pinnical cave freeclimbing at 9. and its a rated climb! he camped in deep snow with all roads closeing and whiteout conditions his first overnight stelthing near windsor furnace shelter. kids actually get born in the wilds ya know. people spend there whole lives out . in is bad. out is good. feel the flow..........

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-28-2007, 17:54
kids actually get born in the wilds ya knowAnd I though the howls I heard were wolves.

mweinstone
02-28-2007, 17:55
floorless shmoorless.MY great son maximillion bagged the pinnical cave freeclimbing at 9. and its a rated climb! he camped in deep snow with all roads closeing and whiteout conditions his first overnight stelthing near windsor furnace shelter. kids actually get born in the wilds ya know. people spend there whole lives out . in is bad. out is good. feel the flow..........and everyone knows ive used a megamid for the last 20 years. now a megalight. in any event, listen to the dinasaur. she tramples or she illuminates. you have been spared!now go have fun with baby! and no matter what, patagonia baby fleese suit. the single highest form of softsafesublimity.

Alligator
02-28-2007, 18:09
floorless shmoorless....blah blah blahBeing only 2 1/2, my son could have wandered off in the night, perhaps even down to the nearby stream. It's something to consider with a very young child.

TJ aka Teej
02-28-2007, 19:01

My three were all doing overnights by age 8. We started out doing little hikes, to teach the basics like maps, pooping in the woods, and why a heavy pack isn't a good idea. They first liked just being in the woods and were happy just watching animals and getting to play in a clearing or brook. Then came hikes with goals, like a waterfall or a view. Moved up overnights with me carrying all the gear, then on to sharing the load.
All kids are different though. My youngest two kids are about the same age as his, but Sloetoe's boys had done the LT and most of Maine by the time mine had done the 100 mile in sections. They turn out different too. My oldest, Billygoat the milemonster who is now 17, has 'gotten over' backpacking. My daughter Chatterbox, who never seemed 'that into it', is now planning a thruhike! Kids! :rolleyes:
Enjoy parenthood, it's the most important thing you'll ever do!

buckowens
02-28-2007, 22:37
As the regulars here will already know, my daughter (9) and I are doing a section hike for two weeks in June. She has already done some 8 mile plus tough practice hikes and it is obvious I would be the weaker link :D.

As most advised, I plan to let her set the pace. I want it to be a fun bonding experience. She still talks about "hike naked day" which is right in the middle of our hike :o ...and laughs like crazy! Enjoy, as the kids are smarter and tougher than most of us give them credit for.

Moose2001
02-28-2007, 22:50
Sleepwalker.....here's some more reading for you. It's a journal link to Troll, Anchor and Oblivious's 2005 AT hike. Oblivious was 10 1/2 at the start of the hike and went all the way to Kathadin. The family had a great time and Oblivious was one of the "stars" of 2005. I guess you're never too young or too old to thru!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3002