PDA

View Full Version : Rehydrating the dehydrated

stag3
02-26-2007, 23:18
I think I read a post about some difficulty in FBC for rice. Seems the problem was that the rice would never get "cooked"--always a bit crunchy. Some one suggested that the rice be cooked, then dehydrated, and then rehydrated with FBC on the trail.

Did I just dream this , or is it for real? If so, will the same procedure work for macarone, beans.....

Thanks,
Stag3

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-26-2007, 23:35
Minute rice is rice that has been cooked and dehydrated. Easy Mac is macaroni that has been cooked and dehydrated. Beans can also be cooked and dehydrated as can most veggies. Some meats do not rehydrate well and dairy products are hard to dehydrate, but most other foods are fair game for this.

bigcranky
02-27-2007, 08:03
Instant rice works fine in freezer bag cooking. I like the instant brown rice better than white -- it has more flavor and texture, but takes a few extra minutes to rehydrate.

sarbar
02-27-2007, 11:18
Almost any pasta can be cooked at home and dried-you get an "instant" pasta at that point. Secret is to undercook it a few minutes though, it will finish cooking in the bag!

Cuffs
03-15-2007, 17:20
Slightly changing subject (but title fits!)

What is the right amount of water to add to food that has been dehydrated?

(SARBAR, eagerly awaiting your response!!)

mountain squid
03-15-2007, 17:35
Seems the problem was that the rice would never get "cooked"--always a bit crunchy.

Never had a problem with 'Lipton Sides' rice. Uncooked rice might be a different story, though. In fact, Lipton's rice entrees usually comes out better than the noodles/macaroni entrees (at least in my experience). Usually use about 1/2 the suggested liquid.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

beckybellis
03-15-2007, 18:08
i get so confused. some use 1/2 the liquid, and some use what it calls for. is it a personal preference? i did a practice with a freezerbag/and cozy, and used 1 1/2 cups of boiling water for a thing of liptons rice, and it was too thick and chewey. i didnt do the second run, but seems that about 1 3/4 or almost 2 cups would be right. i cant see it working on only 1 cup.

mountain squid
03-15-2007, 18:23
Either way, it isn't exact. You will be 'eye balling' it...After a few nights on the trail, you will know what works for you, though...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sarbar
03-15-2007, 21:11
Slightly changing subject (but title fits!)

What is the right amount of water to add to food that has been dehydrated?

(SARBAR, eagerly awaiting your response!!)
Usually 1:1 ratio works well :) Soups, chowders, sauces are 2:1 or 3:1 :) Start low, you can always add more water!

John Klein
03-15-2007, 22:10
Minute rice is rice that has been cooked and dehydrated. Easy Mac is macaroni that has been cooked and dehydrated. Beans can also be cooked and dehydrated as can most veggies. Some meats do not rehydrate well and dairy products are hard to dehydrate, but most other foods are fair game for this.
Where can you buy Easy Mac?

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 22:25
Where can you buy Easy Mac?

Most grocery stores carry it now.