PDA

View Full Version : Final clothes list

tomman
02-26-2007, 23:43
:-? I only have two weeks before I hit the trail. I have so much wonderful data and help from Whiteblaze that I want to run my final clothing list by everyone and see if there is anything I have missed or should be added to my list.

In going over this list remember that I am a senior citizen living in a flat area with not altitudes over about 200 to 400 feet. So I am not going to be use to the higher mountains.

Clothes help.
Here is a list of the clothes I plan to use at the start of my Thru-hike. Please check it out and suggest any changes that I should look at or is this about right.

Items for normal wear.
Not all will be worn at the same time.

Marmot Precip rain pants and jacket. When required for rain and cold windy weather

Will wear on the trail normally, added clothes depending on temperature.

REI cargo pants with zip off legs. Long of short depending on temp.
REI long sleeve shirt with roll up and button sleeves.
One set of Patagonia underwear. If I fine need more will purchase them on the trail.
One pair of Lowa light weight hiking boots.
One pair of custom made inserts for my boots. They help to maintain my feet in the correction position while I am hiking. These were recommended by my Doctor.
One pair of Smartwool socks with Liner. The Liners are made of coolmax with wicking and odor reducing fibers. They have no seams to cause problems and are for people with foot problems, such as me.
One REI floppy hat for sun protection when needed.

Colder weather wear.

Patagonia Capilene 2 midweight base layer top and bottoms. Is one set enough?
Patagonia Micro Puff jacket for camp wear, and if it is cold and windy when I stop for lunch and such on the trail.
Water resistance gloves.
Smart wool cuffed beanie for the trail and also at night.
One set of gaiters for use during the cold wet weather.
Two pair of Smartwool socks with liners.

I do not at this time plan to have clothes for town only. I will wear normal hiking clothes for town use. I made change later will let the trail decide.

The cold weather clothes will be sent home, when the weather starts to get warm and returned later when needed.

What does this list look like for a thru of the AT starting on March 14th 2007?

Thanks to everyone for their help in this matter and all the other help that you have provided to me.

I hope to see many of you on the trail.

tomman

Jim Adams
02-27-2007, 00:16
looks like a very good list for a flatlander! just kidding, that is a very good list and you can personalize it as you go. you will learn quickly what you do and do not need but for the most part...it looks like you already know.

geek

Knees
02-27-2007, 04:28
All in all, it looks pretty good. Some thoughts:

How long will your custom inserts last? Do you have a spare set available for when these wear out?

Are you prepared to wear your micropuff jacket while hiking? You're leaving early enough that you will probably hit some colder weather and may need more than just a shirt + rain jacket while hiking.

You're also leaving early enough that you may want something warmer for your legs.

You want more than one pair of socks during warm weather. Three pairs are fine for all weather.

Take a spare pair of shorts/swim trunks. I've had shorts blow out on both of my distance hikes!

For that matter, take a spare shirt you're willing to hike in. I've had those fancy shirts grate into my skin and irritate my back during hot/humid weather. I had a duofold wicking t-shirt along, so it was an annoyance instead of torture. Shirts blow out too.

Have a great hike!

bigcranky
02-27-2007, 08:14
tomman, this is a fine list. One set of the mid-weight Capilene is enough.

The only advice I might give you is not to overdress while hiking. It's easy to wake up in 20-F weather, put on all your clothes to stay barely warm, and start hiking, only to soak all your clothing with your own sweat.

Have fun on the trail.