PDA

View Full Version : Cheese!

mindi
02-27-2007, 01:27
On my trek to Wal-Mart today, I found a bag of individually foil wrapped chunks of Cracker Barrell cheese. Have any of you ever seen these?

I'm thinking of stashing some in my pack for lunch. I think they'll keep better since you don't have to open and rewrap a package. They're about the length of a stick of gum and a half-inch thick.

rafe
02-27-2007, 01:29
Any old cheese will do. Keep it in a sturdy ziploc. I like pepperjack myself. It keeps for days. Might get a bit soft in the dead of summer, but not in February.

freefall
02-27-2007, 04:30
Haven't seen the individuals but I agree w/ Terrapin. I carry chedder or any semi-hard cheese for several days at a time w/ no problems except in hot weather. Then, I just make sure its the first thing to go.

Mr. Parkay
02-27-2007, 04:35
Well, personally I prefer the Velveeta 1lb block... you don't even need a knife to cut it... use a stick! In all seriousness, I do like velveeta. Tastes good and never goes bad. If fact I plan to purchase some tomorrow for my food bag!

freefall
02-27-2007, 04:40
If fact I plan to purchase some tomorrow for my food bag!

You headin' out again this year?

Jaybird
02-27-2007, 06:15
On my trek to Wal-Mart today, I found a bag of individually foil wrapped chunks of Cracker Barrell cheese. Have any of you ever seen these?I'm thinking of stashing some in my pack for lunch. I think they'll keep better since you don't have to open and rewrap a package. They're about the length of a stick of gum and a half-inch thick.

Cheese IS Cheeze is CHEEEEZ!

just remember it melts or gets soft in hot wx & its a dense animal....
soooooo its gonna weigh approx 1oz per 1 inch sq.

why not get a week on the trail behind you & then treat yourself on a walk into town with a CHEEZE Pig-Out! HEHEHEHEHEHE

Good Luck w/ yer hike!

hopefulhiker
02-27-2007, 07:06
As a treat I would carry some cheese out of town and maybe a few bagles. But it would not last long.. Also a lot of hikers carry blocks of parmesagn..

skyhiker2
02-27-2007, 08:38
This is the cheesiest thread I've read... LOL ha ha..

neo
02-27-2007, 09:04
Any old cheese will do. Keep it in a sturdy ziploc. I like pepperjack myself. It keeps for days. Might get a bit soft in the dead of summer, but not in February.

:) pepperjack is my favorite:cool: neo

Heater
02-27-2007, 10:11

It's not EZ being cheesy... :cool:

QHShowoman
02-27-2007, 10:28
On my trek to Wal-Mart today, I found a bag of individually foil wrapped chunks of Cracker Barrell cheese. Have any of you ever seen these?

I'm thinking of stashing some in my pack for lunch. I think they'll keep better since you don't have to open and rewrap a package. They're about the length of a stick of gum and a half-inch thick.

Yes, my favorite is the sharp white cheddar. The one in the black wrapper. I've noticed that the pack life of these mini-cheeses isn't very lenghty, unless it's very cold out. After a day in my pack in early spring weather, the cheese started to get really oily in their little wrappers and after day two, it smelled awful. I thought it would've lasted longer unrefrigerated.

You may want to try Laughing Cow cheese wedges, which can go unrefrigerated because its all super-processed cheese. Just don't smush 'em because they'll squirt through the foil wrapper!

peanuts
02-27-2007, 10:55
yes, i carry those as well as the cabot cove cheese block! yumms

aaronthebugbuffet
02-27-2007, 11:13
Cheese in bigger blocks will last longer than chunks or slices.

Mr. Parkay
02-27-2007, 12:14
You headin' out again this year?

Yeah I'm heading out tomorrow... hiking the BMT 93 miles to Springer... where I'll start another AT Thu-hike. I'll have some velveeta, cheez-its, cheeto's and perhaps string cheese too!

Gray Blazer
02-27-2007, 12:19
Yeah I'm heading out tomorrow... hiking the BMT 93 miles to Springer... where I'll start another AT Thu-hike. I'll have some velveeta, cheez-its, cheeto's and perhaps string cheese too!
Maybe I'll see you at Rocky Bald again this year. I'll be there Mar 31 or something like that. I'll definitely be at the Fool's Bash in Franklin April 1st. I'll have a small booth vending some of my AT art. Hopefully I can hike with you during that week. I'm glad you like velveeta. That's what I was serving last year. Do you think hikers eating a lot of cheese may be contributing to global warming?:D

Hikes in Rain
02-27-2007, 13:19
I like the hard "grating" types of cheese. Less weeping of oils, keeps the shape better, and lasts longer. Parmesean (sp?), Romano, Asiago (?). LOVE the sharpness in the flavor. Just bite of chunks, or shave into dinner.

mindi
02-27-2007, 17:11
Hmm..now I'm thinking I may just get a small chunk of sharp provolone or asiago instead. I'm probably going to end up eating all of these chunks before I leave, anyway.
:D

MarcnNJ
02-27-2007, 17:33
A tip for packing out cheese when its warmer outside.....take it out of its original packaging, and put it in a brown paper bag....soaks up the oils....i carried cheese for up to 2-3 days in the heat of the summer....no problems

Lead Dog
02-27-2007, 17:43
I use these all the time. Great for lunch or snack to get you thru till supper time.

Ewker
02-27-2007, 17:43
any cheese still in its wax wrapping will last a while. I take Smoked Gouda with me

Wanderingson
02-27-2007, 23:57

It ain't easy being cheezy.

Undershaft
03-01-2007, 12:45
I'm planning on carrying EZ Cheese. The stuff that squirts out of a can. Easy, lightweight, no spoilage, no clean up, tastes good enough, can be applied with ease to anything....good stuff.

mindi
03-02-2007, 13:16
I see they now have cheese whiz in a squeeze bottle too..hmm...

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 18:17
Mindi:

The individually wrapped cheese is OK, but it's an expensive way to shop, plus it generates more garbage. Most folks just buy a solid block before they leave town, and ziplock it. It's usually long gone before it goes bad, and just about anything will work, unless you go with something really soft like Meunster. The most popular cheeses are the harder cheddars; also most good markets have little round Goudas (usually they come in red or black wax).

Also, individually wrapped string cheeses or mozarella stix are popular on the Trail, but again, are significantly more expensive. I also carry a ziplock of grated parmesan/romano which gets added to just about every dinner. A good blast of grated cheese and some spices, preferably hot ones, actually make a Lipton turn into something you actually want to eat.

Cheese from a can is generally pretty disgusting, and is generally a bastardized form of Velveeta/CheezeWhiz which 900 chemicals and additives . One last cheese note.....the cheese foil pouches that come with "deluxe" mac 'n cheese or shells boxes is 1000% better than the flourescent orange-cheeze death powder that traditionally comes with mac and cheese. You pay a weight penalty with the pouched cheese sauce, but it really is a whole lot tastier. I carry these a lot, and usually use them the first or second day out, same as I try and eat all of my heavier food sooner.

Gray Blazer
03-02-2007, 18:27
a bastardized form of Velveeta/CheezeWhiz which 900 chemicals and additives . UUuummmm.....additives.....chemicals......Doh! Yeah, a block of cheese lasts a long time. Supermarkets in the south sell blocks of cheese in resealable packs. Take a few ziploc bags with you anyway. They could come in handy.

chknfngrs
03-02-2007, 19:51
Baby Bell!

Jester2000
03-02-2007, 20:30
CHEESE CHEESE CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!

I loves me some cheese. Largest block you can carry out of town without causing stress fractures, say I.

Bigger lasts longer! Harder is better!
Cheese does not go bad!
Melty/Oily? Recombines at night!
Moldy oldy? Cut that part off and keep chomping!
One Pound blocks! Eaten like candy bars!

Bonus feature: no poopin' 'til the next time you hit town. . .

Cheese, baby! Sounds gouda to me!

RockStar
03-02-2007, 20:56
Cheese, don't leave for the trail without it.

mindi
03-03-2007, 00:03
Soft cheese makes me ill anyway, so hard cheeses are probably the way to go if I want to eat any quantity.

I found a hunk of extra sharp provolone at the store yesterday and bought it. It's really hard and aged so I think it'll hold up well. I also got a nice little stick of Boar's Head pepperoni. Yummy!