PDA

View Full Version : BMT Section Hike - starting tomorrow!

Mr. Parkay
02-27-2007, 04:04
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post my hiking plans... I'll be starting a BMT section hike tomorrow (Wendsday Feb 28th). It will begin at the Occoee River (Highway 64), and I will be walking southbound to Springer. I'm meeting friends at Amicalola on March 4th... so, with only 5 days, I really have to move quick to make it on time.

I'm not sure if many people hike on the BMT this time of year... but hopefully I'll see one or two other people... didn't see anyone last time.:(

That's about it. I can't wait to get out there!:banana

--Mr Parkay

Chaco Taco
02-27-2007, 16:52
Have fun!:sun

Ramble~On
02-27-2007, 18:50
Chances are that you could run into some of the Class of 2007 who opt to hike the BMT rather than the AT. I know that there's an arguement here whether hiking the BMT constitutes a "Thru-Hike" or not but then again I suppose HYOH applies to all hikers not just purists.:D As I recall Benton's original idea was for a series of trails, camps and farms...not just a single linear trail. Enjoy your hike. The early wildflowers ought to be out and I'll bet the Cohutta will be beautiful.

Mr. Parkay
02-27-2007, 20:11
Yeah, it would be great to see some of the 07 class on the BMT!

I'm continuing on to start an AT thru-hike after the BMT section. So, when I get to the smokies, I might go ahead and hike the BMT through there as well... that way I'll have to 2/3 of the BMT hiked this time around.

This is going to be a good year!

Ramble~On
02-27-2007, 21:49
That's a great idea...to have some solo prep/warm up time on the BMT and meet up with friends before starting a thru. I always get Springer Fever this time of year. If the bills were paid I'd be bouncing off the walls right about now. Good luck on your hike. I'll check your trailjournals and i hope to be out this year spreading cheer and offering rides.

Mr. Parkay
02-28-2007, 02:12
That's a great idea...to have some solo prep/warm up time on the BMT and meet up with friends before starting a thru. I always get Springer Fever this time of year. If the bills were paid I'd be bouncing off the walls right about now. Good luck on your hike. I'll check your trailjournals and i hope to be out this year spreading cheer and offering rides.

Hey, thanks for the well wishes. Guess, I'll be leaving in about 5 hours! .... maybe I should get some sleep:-?

Sly
02-28-2007, 03:53
I know that there's an arguement here whether hiking the BMT constitutes a "Thru-Hike" or not but then again I suppose HYOH applies to all hikers not just purists.:D

I'd consider it a thru-hike, but I would be applying for a 2000-miler patch missing 300 miles of AT.

Ramble~On
03-02-2007, 06:36
True...doing the BMT isn't doing the AT and there would be a very large gap that would be missed which is where personal choice would have to come in. Having already hiked all of everything that would be missed would sway me more towards the BMT and if I continued on and finished the AT I'd be satisified that I had "thru hiked" but by definition I would not have and I do realize this. 300 miles is a sizeable chunk. I guess that this is something that will have to be thought through thoroughly by anyone wanting to take this route.

generoll
03-02-2007, 07:26
Since the BMT itself is about 300 miles I don't think I would ever criticise anyone for taking the BMT option as a part of their thru hike. In terms of difficulty I suspect that the BMT is the more difficult of the two. Fewer town and resupply options. Less trail useage and hence more overgrowth. And some fairly tough sections of trail to add into the mix. And of course there'a the almost total absence of shelters. That oughta solve the shelter etiquette issues for 300 miles anyway.

Ramble~On
03-02-2007, 15:03
There is the wilderness aspect as well. Southbounders are greeted by the 100 mile wilderness right out of the gates....Northbounders now have the option of 300 miles of pockets of wilderness. Harder...I think the BMT is way harder than the AT between Springer and Davenport Gap.