PDA

View Full Version : black flies in late july

neo
02-27-2007, 14:04
how are black flies in late july in new hampshire and maine:cool: neo

attroll
02-27-2007, 14:12
how are black flies in late july in new hampshire and maine:cool: neo
It really depends on the weather, but in late July they are starting to diminish but are still around in Maine.

Moxie00
02-27-2007, 17:37
Troll is correct, once you start seeing dragonflies the black fly season is over. A dragonfly can eat many times his weight in blackflies every day. In nothern Maine there is an active spraying program for spruce budworm and other creatures and they have diminished the dragonfly population so we still see a few blackflies until August. By the second or third week in June the worst of the Blackflies is generally past.

mnof1000v
02-27-2007, 17:41
Forget black flies... Deer flies will follow you for miles, landing in your hair, on your ears, and buzzing around your head. I killed several hundred in Maine alone. It got so bad, I took to naming them.

khaynie
02-27-2007, 17:54
How are the mosquitoes that time of year?

GlazeDog
02-27-2007, 21:15
Here's a t-shirt for all those who "love" blackflies.

I think that sub-line reads: A Bite of the Proceeds will be Bled into the Maine Blackfly Breeders Association....."

GlazeDog

GlazeDog
02-27-2007, 21:16
Oh yeah-- the link:

http://www.lgtees.com/blackfly.html

GlazeDog

woodsy
02-27-2007, 21:39
Troll and Moxie are both right, usually by mid to late July, they have greatly diminished in numbers . The Maine Black Fly is also said to be the Maine State Bird while in season.

Undershaft
02-28-2007, 11:11
The black flies will still be around, but the truely scary mega swarms will be gone by then. You won't have any problems. I've found that by that time in the season the black flies aren't even biting. At least in the Whites and southern Maine.

neighbor dave
02-28-2007, 11:24
Forget black flies... Deer flies will follow you for miles, landing in your hair, on your ears, and buzzing around your head. I killed several hundred in Maine alone. It got so bad, I took to naming them.
attach a piece of fly paper to a hat and wear it. the deer flies buzz around your head and then get stuck to the paper,works like a charm!!!

Undershaft
02-28-2007, 11:31
Wow, that's a really good idea Dave. Simple, lightweight, portable....I'm going to have to try that this summer.

weary
02-28-2007, 13:22
Troll is correct, once you start seeing dragonflies the black fly season is over. A dragonfly can eat many times his weight in blackflies every day. In nothern Maine there is an active spraying program for spruce budworm and other creatures and they have diminished the dragonfly population so we still see a few blackflies until August. By the second or third week in June the worst of the Blackflies is generally past.
I generally don't worry about blackflies after the first week of July. But every 35 years or so a black fly emerges that lasts all summer until the first severe frost. It happened in the late 30s and again in the 70s. We are overdue for a new infestation.

Because humans -- and reporters -- have short memories, the new infestation will be hailed as a "new" breed of flies. unlike anything ever seen before.

Weary

woodsy
02-28-2007, 15:16

I know for fact that there is open season on Black Flies here in Maine, but Deer Flies? You had better check with THE WEASEL before killing any more, it could be against the law,:rolleyes:
I do like Dave's idea of the fly strip, at least with that, it'll only be secondary fly slaughter:D

mudhead
02-28-2007, 19:05
Sun must have been out in Kingfield today.

Bring DEET. Light long sleeve shirt. Don't have to use them, good to have.
Remember, black flies crawl up. Happy kilting.

The Weasel
03-01-2007, 15:03
I know for fact that there is open season on Black Flies here in Maine, but Deer Flies? You had better check with THE WEASEL before killing any more, it could be against the law,:rolleyes:
I do like Dave's idea of the fly strip, at least with that, it'll only be secondary fly slaughter:D

Killing Maine black flies as they descend upon you falls constitutes self-defense. Unless it is the rare and endangered Maine Tuxedo Black Fly, of which only 6 remain in the wild (although a large breeding population is kept at the secret CIA Zoo outside Bangor). If you are bitten or under attack by a swarm, you can kill black files with impunity after checking to see if it has a small bowtie-like filament around its thorax, which has a white underside.

Always glad to help. :p

The Weasel

Fly By Mike
03-01-2007, 15:10
Don't forget to check out the Miss Black Fly Contest in Rangely - popularized by Maine comedian Tim Sample. Its a beauty contest but beauty doesn't count. The gals stand on the back of a flat bed in the IGA parking lot in swimsuits. The first one to swat or itch is disqualified and so it goes on till only the winner remains.

The Weasel
03-01-2007, 15:19

Oh my God (yes, Weasels have gods, but that's another topic)...just realized the question was about DEER flies. I'm not sure about that. It will take deep research, combined with on-site investigation and consultation with forensic entymologists ( http://www.forensic-entomology.com/ ) and a number of other efforts.

Please send me your billing address and/or VISA/Mastercard number (sorry, I can't accept AmEx for bills that are under $10,000). I will start on your project immediately, and should be finished shortly before Labor Day.

Thank you for engaging me in this interesting and valuable effort. So sorry for the initial confusion.

The Weasel

mnof1000v
03-01-2007, 18:00
Am I hiring The Weasel, or would that honor go to the families of the countless deer flies I slaughtered? Because if I have to defend myself against a slanderous lawsuit, I may have to plead insanity.

The Weasel
03-01-2007, 19:07
Am I hiring The Weasel, or would that honor go to the families of the countless deer flies I slaughtered? Because if I have to defend myself against a slanderous lawsuit, I may have to plead insanity.
Insanity is not a defense to slander.

Please make sure to send the expiration date with your VISA/Mastercard number.

The Weasel

trlhiker
03-01-2007, 20:51
Never seen black flies but have had deer flies chase me on my mountain bike. I rode as fast and hard as the trail would let me but the buggers still managed to catch me. And their bites hurt.

woodsy
03-01-2007, 21:20
Oh my God (yes, Weasels have gods, but that's another topic)...just realized the question was about DEER flies. I'm not sure about that. It will take deep research, combined with on-site investigation and consultation with forensic entymologists ( http://www.forensic-entomology.com/ ) and a number of other efforts.

Thank you for engaging me in this interesting and valuable effort. So sorry for the initial confusion.

The Weasel

That's OK The Weasel, nice to see you have retained a sense of humor through all the controversy here:cool: The Deer Flies here in Maine are as vulnerable as the Black Flies, they are as good as dead if the hand can swat it, we don't discriminate, if it bites, it's dead.
One other thing to note: if you can identify the female Blackfly, that's the one to swat, they are the ones that want your blood, not the males, LOL
Woodsy

The Weasel
03-01-2007, 21:23
That's OK The Weasel, nice to see you have retained a sense of humor through all the controversy here:cool: The Deer Flies here in Maine are as vulnerable as the Black Flies, they are as good as dead if the hand can swat it, we don't discriminate, if it bites, it's dead.
One other thing to note: if you can identify the female Blackfly, that's the one to swat, they are the ones that want your blood, not the males, LOL
Woodsy

I'm not sure about the Deer Flies. No one has hired me yet. And I need the money, bad, to pay my book...I mean to resolve some open financial issues.

The Weasel

woodsy
03-01-2007, 21:39
I'm not sure about the Deer Flies. No one has hired me yet. And I need the money, bad, to pay my book...I mean to resolve some open financial issues.

The Weasel

Don't expect to get hired either, we backcountry hikers take the law in our own hands, and do whatever it takes to survive.:) We are the law;) If it means killing Black Flies and Deer Flies, so be it!
Woodsy

The Weasel
03-01-2007, 21:43
Don't expect to get hired either, we backcountry hikers take the law in our own hands, and do whatever it takes to survive.:) We are the law;) If it means killing Black Flies and Deer Flies, so be it!
Woodsy

Yeah, and then expect lawyers like me to starve when all we need is a little to cover some slight errors we made about some statistical issues. Is that fair? Is that right? Do I really deserve to have my legs broken again? While you are out there illegally fly killing like I told all of you NOT TO DO IT AGAIN OR I WOULD TELL THE BAXTER RANGER PATROL TO HUNT YOU DOWN LIKE RATS IN THE ROAD AND IF THAT HAPPENS I WILL NEVER POST ON WHITEBLAZE AGAIN AND WOLF WILL FEEL BAD AND ALL OF YOU WILL BURN FOR BEING UNGODLY AND..

Oops. Sorry. Excuse me. I'm just a little edgy since Guido called again.

The Weasel

woodsy
03-01-2007, 22:00
I seen your picture The Weasel, you need to get off your ass and do some hiking, if you start in Maine and head south, you might loose some blubber!
That is , if the Maine Black Fly don't carry you away!
Woodsy

Jim Adams
03-01-2007, 22:54
I was up North a few times when the black flies were so thick that they cast a shadow over the water similar to a clouds shadow.
FWIW, black flies breed in moving water and mosquitoes breed in standing water.
geek

woodsy
03-01-2007, 23:22
[QUOTE=Jim Adams
FWIW, black flies breed in moving water and mosquitoes breed in standing water.
geek[/QUOTE]

This is accurate information:sun

moxie
03-02-2007, 00:03
This belongs with the thread on evolution and religion. There were only two black flies on the ark and look how many there are today, God designed the black fly to evolve and take over the world. After they drink all the blood in Maine they will move into the middle atlantic States and soon rule all of North America. They are very intellegent, even lawyers can't stop them. Only the black flies that accepted the recruters bonus and joined the black fly infantry get swatted. You never see their navy, air force or the black fly intellegence agency but they see you and someday will get you. Right now they only attack during early June and by late July they withdraw to their mountain hideout caves to plan future attacks, Suicide black flies are very religious and believe they will have 100 virgin black flies when they get to black fly heaven after you swat them. We should listen to President Bush. Twenty thousand fat hikers moving into Maine in shorts and tank tops this June is what we need to win the black fly battle. Twenty thousand fat hikers may suply enough blood so they will let their guard down, relax. and then perhaps we can wipe them out with one giant deet bomb. We will never win the battle with the 200 or so southbounders that pass through Maine every June feeding the black fly hords their precious blood. Only with a surge will they meet defeat.

The Weasel
03-02-2007, 10:00
I seen your picture The Weasel, you need to get off your ass and do some hiking, if you start in Maine and head south, you might loose some blubber!
That is , if the Maine Black Fly don't carry you away!
Woodsy

What a kind, considerate, thoughtful person you are. I imagine it makes you feel so much better to drop insults like that, so I'm glad that I made someone's day.

The Weasel

woodsy
03-02-2007, 10:26
What a kind, considerate, thoughtful person you are. I imagine it makes you feel so much better to drop insults like that, so I'm glad that I made someone's day.

The Weasel

Please excuse my thoughless remarks, Ich bin ein ARSE.

The Weasel
03-02-2007, 17:53
Please excuse my thoughless remarks, Ich bin ein ARSE.

Well, I doubt that you are, but even if you were, how much better than to be Jack Kennedy when he said, "Ich bin ein Berliner."

Thanks

The Weasel