PDA

View Full Version : believe it or not...

mountain squid
02-27-2007, 20:35
Just sat in on a meeting with TN Eastman Hiking Club, ATC and the Forest Service and Believe It or Not, "A Walk in the Woods" :eek: was mentioned. Only in the context of a film company submitting permits to the Forest Service for use of local land. Believe It or Not!!!

Get your hiking in now...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Skidsteer
02-27-2007, 20:36
Just sat in on a meeting with TN Eastman Hiking Club, ATC and the Forest Service and Believe It or Not, "A Walk in the Woods" :eek: was mentioned. Only in the context of a film company submitting permits to the Forest Service for use of local land. Believe It or Not!!!

Get your hiking in now...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Food for thought...

rafe
02-27-2007, 21:04
I wonder why they feel a need to film it on the actual AT? Doesn't quite compute.

Trillium
02-27-2007, 21:16
when you have Redford & Newman involved, of course they're going to use actual settings

ed bell
02-27-2007, 21:23
I wonder why they feel a need to film it on the actual AT? Doesn't quite compute.I don't understand the question terrapin. If they decide the fees to use the actual AT are cheaper than setting up an alternate reality for the backdrop, then why not provide a realistic backdrop? I am personally opposed to allowing a major film project cheap access to the AT. I wonder how the filming permit actually works. Certainly, this is an issue ripe for discussion.

cutman11
02-27-2007, 21:33
They should let them do it for the total annual cost to maintain the entire trail, and then invest the money to use the annual proceeds for trail maintenance. Any thing less would be uncivilized.

Obsidian
02-27-2007, 21:42
maybe they'll do a lot of the heavy filming in a recreated area and just use some of it like major landmarks where needed.

Although I would be decently butthurt if I was doing my thru the year of their filming and i kept running into them on the trail.

rafe
02-27-2007, 21:50
I don't understand the question terrapin.

It's like this: most folks haven't been on the AT, and even for those who have, any old trail could be made to look like the AT at least for the purposes of this movie. That's something that Hollywood does quite well, no? OTOH, maybe they (the producers of the movie) seriously want the AT (or ATC or whatever) to benefit from the proceeds of the film -- I dunno. But in terms of "realism" there's absolutely no need to film this movie on the "real" AT.

RAT
02-27-2007, 21:59
I wanna be in it. I`ll be the trail maintainer / trail angel ;)

RAT

Skidsteer
02-27-2007, 21:59
It's like this: most folks haven't been on the AT, and even for those who have, any old trail could be made to look like the AT at least for the purposes of this movie. That's something that Hollywood does quite well, no? OTOH, maybe they (the producers of the movie) seriously want the AT (or ATC or whatever) to benefit from the proceeds of the film -- I dunno. But in terms of "realism" there's absolutely no need to film this movie on the "real" AT.

Yep, and we could have a lot of fun pickin it apart and pointing out the goofs on WB. It would keep us busy an entire winter if the film releases just before Christmas.

I hope they film it in CA.

RedneckRye
02-27-2007, 23:42
I hope they film it in CA.

If they did that, it would be totally unrealistic, as the PCT is way more beautiful than the AT.

rafe
02-27-2007, 23:48
If they did that, it would be totally unrealistic, as the PCT is way more beautiful than the AT.

Well, hey... the old AT his its moments. ;)

Undershaft
02-28-2007, 11:25
What's wrong with filming a movie on the AT? It's been done before. Quite a few times. I wouldn't be worried about a film crew interupting my hike or disturbing the trail lifestyle. The reality is that they will be filming on small sections near road crossings for a couple days at a time, tops. I expect they will hit places like clingmans dome, Mt. Washington, Max Patch, Beauty Spot, maybe the Grayson Highlands, Greylock, etc. Places easily reached by vehicles. Hollywood production crews won't be hiking scores of miles just to get a few minutes of footage. And don't forget, all major films hire caterers to provide lots of food for their crews. I bet it will be pretty easy to yogi some food. Any idea when this filming will take place Mtn. Squid?

saimyoji
02-28-2007, 11:31
I'm sure they'll be needing some extras as well.

Marta
02-28-2007, 13:50
I was told that they'll be filming along the Approach Trail for three weeks this March. And that they want to have actual hikers in there.

Sly
02-28-2007, 14:02
Right on! :sun I can't believe how many folks are afraid of a movie on/about the AT. :confused: The number of hikers has been dwindling, time for a needed boost.:banana

mountain squid
02-28-2007, 14:20
No mention of when filming might start up here. Roan Mt was mentioned and a few other places that I don't remember were mentioned, though.

As I said, get your hiking in now...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Footslogger
02-28-2007, 14:22
I heard it's all going to be shot in Wyoming.

Just kidding ...but at least I'd be available as an extra then.

In the twilight of a mediocre career anyway ...being an "Extra" actually has some appeal !!

'Slogger

Sly
02-28-2007, 14:33
As I said, get your hiking in now...

mt squid

What is that supposed to mean? :confused:

mountain squid
02-28-2007, 14:41
:-?Just a thought that the Spring after the film is released the trail might be very, very crowded...at Springer, anyway...obviously it remains to be seen though...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
02-28-2007, 14:46
I heard it's all going to be shot in Wyoming.

HAHA. A scene with a stray, roaming buffalo in the background would be 'a little' out of place on the AT:D.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Footslogger
02-28-2007, 14:59
HAHA. A scene with a stray, roaming buffalo in the background would be 'a little' out of place on the AT:D.

See you on the trail,
mt squid
==============================

That stray roaming buffalo would be ME !!

'Slogger

ImkerVS
02-28-2007, 15:54
I suspended my Screen Actors Card. Couldn't get enough work to justify paying the dues. I moved to near Erwin. I take up hiking on the Appalachian trail. No more a broken heart for every light on Broadway. No more Hollyweird.

And now....

The cosmos likes to laugh.

T-Dubs
02-28-2007, 16:06

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I bet some footage of a ferocious grizzly would set the scene and sell some tickets as well. No, wait. There's no place for such foolishness in a story about the AT, is there?

Tom

Kiyu
03-01-2007, 08:38
What's wrong with filming a movie on the AT? It's been done before. Quite a few times.
Not with Newman & Redford.
Ask fly fishermen about what impact Redford's A River Runs Through It has had if you want a preview of what will happen with hiking the AT.

Kiyu

Sly
03-01-2007, 08:43
Ask fly fishermen about what impact Redford's A River Runs Through It has had if you want a preview of what will happen with hiking the AT.

A fly fisherman where? You have a source?

Jim Adams
03-01-2007, 08:46
It might be crowded out there in some places for short periods of time but they will also be watched closely for damage to the environment. Besides, who wants them painting white blazes all over some other trail / woods?

geek

Sly
03-01-2007, 08:50

I found my own source.. but still don't see where y'all are coming from.

http://www.montana.edu/news/0985713422.html

oldfivetango
03-01-2007, 08:50
The more publicity the AT gets in the media or thru a
Hollywood glorification the more crowded it is going to
get.After the movie comes out you won't recognize the
trail that you old timers once had.Same thing happened to
a fishing place I once had in Florida.After the "tv fishermen"
came in with the cameras the "old days" were gone forever.
I used to camp out back in the swamp for a week at the time
and maybe see 3 other fishermen.After the tv shows there were
boats everywhere and all sense of privacy and solitude are
gone forever.So I quit going there because it was ruined.
Oldfivetango

Jim Adams
03-01-2007, 09:01

Kiyu

In 1990 I ran into a crew from ESPN filming a bear hunt in the 100 mile wilderness. Now look, it's over run with loggers!!!:banana

geek

Kiyu
03-01-2007, 10:04
Sure. Me.
I've been fly fishing over 30 years and on my favorite mountain stream pre movie one might see 1-2 fly fishermen a day. Even years after I'd often see 5 midweek. The numbers naturally have come down a little but it is not a strenuous sport so folks can still fly fish 'til late in life. That tends to keep them in it for a long time.
When the movie first came out I poo pooed the notion that it would affect the fishing experience at all because it really wasn't about fishing. How wrong I was. Fly fishing became the new fad sport. Gear sellers loved it, fly fishermen cursed it.
But you don't have to believe such things happen. Just wait for the movie to come out and then draw your own conclusions.

Kiyu

Krewzer
03-01-2007, 10:07
...Only in the context of a film company submitting permits to the Forest Service for use of local land.

mt squid

??? Was this a discussion of what permits might be needed from the Forest Service or has a film company actually applied for permits?

Jaybird
03-01-2007, 10:11
Just sat in on a meeting with TN Eastman Hiking Club, ATC and the Forest Service and Believe It or Not, "A Walk in the Woods" :eek: was mentioned. .............mt squid

i beleive it!

Hollywood will throw some dollars @ local hike clubs & the ATC & they'll fall all over themselves to help out Bryson & Company.

Undershaft
03-01-2007, 12:20
When the movie first came out I poo pooed the notion that it would affect the fishing experience at all because it really wasn't about fishing. How wrong I was. Fly fishing became the new fad sport. Gear sellers loved it, fly fishermen cursed it.
But you don't have to believe such things happen. Just wait for the movie to come out and then draw your own conclusions.

Kiyu

I really don't think the impact on the AT will be that great. Here's why: Fishing is easy, hiking up and down mountains all day is hard. Fly fishing and hiking on the AT are not equal activities. Fishing requires very little effort and expenditure of energy. Hiking is exactly the opposite. Sure, there will be a surge in hiker numbers at Springer the season after the movie gets released, but I'll bet money 99% of the people who set foot on the AT as a result of the film will make it no further than the Smokies. Just like Bryson himself. To quote from chapter three of A Walk in the Woods: "So why did he quit so soon?" "He said it wasn't what he expected it to be. They all say that." Hollywood will probably show a very romanticized version of hiking the trail. Folks will watch this movie and say "Sounds neat! Let's do it!" They start hiking the AT and realize the reality of long distance hiking is very different from the romance of thruhiking. It won't be what they expect and they will quit. I truely believe the experience of movie inspired hikers will mimic the book exactly. The result will be minimal impact on the AT. Chapter three again: "This was, it quickly became evident, the base of the first big hill, Frosty Mountain, and it was immediately taxing." "I trudged perhaps a hundred feet up the hill, then stopped, bug-eyed, breathing hard, heart kabooming alarmingly." "It was hell." "I was hopelessly out of shape--hopelessly. The pack weighed way too much. Way too much. I had never encountered anything so hard, for which I was so ill prepared. Every step was a struggle."

I just had a good idea. After the movie comes out, start a shuttle service in Georgia taking folks off the trail. Bet I'll make a fortune. Or at least enough to fund a thruhike.:rolleyes:

Kiyu
03-01-2007, 12:23
I found my own source.. but still don't see where y'all are coming from.

Sorry. I never really addressed your question.
Prior to the early 90's fly fishing was a quiet sport where fishermen could fish relatively uncrowded streams. When A River Runs Throught It came out there was a huge interest and an influx of new folks. It became the new fad sport. Equipment dealers did a very good business, fly fishing schools boomed and there were a lot more anglers on the water. There were quite a few rubs from breaches of stream etiquette with old timers and general hard feelings all around. At the time I thought having more people involved might help with conservation but I never saw any effects from it. Things settled down a bit after the luster wore off but there are still more folks in the sport because of the movie.

I think you will see a similar influx, probably much larger with these two stars involved, though the difficulties of hiking should soon shake out the romantics and the long term effects of this movie may not be as bad.

Kiyu

Lilred
03-01-2007, 13:27
Perhaps, if the movie follows the book, there will be too much fear of bears, rural folk, hard climbs and murders to entice anyone to hike. If it's done right, (or wrong, depending how you look at it), it might scare people away from the trail.

gold bond
03-01-2007, 13:59
Will this do for the AT what Deliverance did for the Chatooga River? What you ask.....nothing! The Chatooga River trail is a great trail still to this day and Burt is still making movies.(as bad as they may be!)

LIhikers
03-01-2007, 15:37
Just imagine being out for a day, week, month, or thru hike and being told the trail is "closed" and you'll have to wait 3 days to continue your hike. So you back track to the last town or shelter, wait 3 days and then continue on the trail. Then 2 weeks later you run into the same thing again a little further along. Then it happens again and again until they've been at every recognizable spot along the AT and covered spring, summer, and fall. It's probably goin to ruin a lot of people's hikes.

moxie
03-01-2007, 17:23
;) You may remember "The Blair Witch Project" shot in Md. about 8 years ago. It was shot in the woods the AT passes through and if you looked you would sometimes see a tree with a white blaze on it which means some filming was done on the actual trail. There were no leaves on the trees so shooting wasn't done during hiker season.The film was a mild sensation at the time, about 3 or 4 kids who got lost and met a strange end. They were never found but their film was found and that was the plot of the movie. We can only hope Bryson and Katz meet the same fate with the Blair Witch and this will put an end to "Walk in Thew Woods" forever.

Chef2000
03-01-2007, 19:33
Correct me if I am wrong, but is not Paul Newman about 80 years old now? How is he going to make a movie on the AT? Or play katz who was abour 40 somethin when the hike took place

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 19:36
Correct me if I am wrong, but is not Paul Newman about 80 years old now? How is he going to make a movie on the AT? Or play katz who was abour 40 somethin when the hike took place

==================================

They'll use a stund double and just stick Newman in for close-ups

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2007, 20:07
Newman's 82, but looks much younger.

And anyway, there are definitely older hikers out there that can hold their own with anyone. Batch is probably close to 85 now, and just a few years ago, he was smokin' people in Virginia or Tennessee. And PawPaw was the same way just a few years ago.

And I seem to remember a pretty spry 79 year old named Earl back in 1998.

rafe
03-01-2007, 20:13

Have you read his journal of that hike, Jack? Yeah, he made it, but it was close, and he was miserable near the end. He had a lot of comments (not all favorable) about the current state of the trail. IIRC, Earl passed away two or three years later.

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 20:21
Have you read his journal of that hike, Jack? Yeah, he made it, but it was close, and he was miserable near the end. He had a lot of comments (not all favorable) about the current state of the trail. IIRC, Earl passed away two or three years later.

Earl finished his hike two weeks before his 80th birthday. Shortly before his death on May 5th, 2002 (of cancer, having nothing to do with his trail exertions), I asked him what his secret was. He told me to drink a tall glass of apple vinegar every day.

I have ignored his advice, 'cause, well, yeccch.

moxie
03-01-2007, 21:42
Earl finished his hike two weeks before his 80th birthday. I asked him what his secret was. He told me to drink a tall glass of apple vinegar every day.

I have ignored his advice, 'cause, well, yeccch.
And all these years people have thought it was apple vinegar in that Jim Beam bottle. Live and learn.

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 21:46
And all these years people have thought it was apple vinegar in that Jim Beam bottle. Live and learn.

Shhhhh! I'm trying to protect my image!

Cosmo
03-01-2007, 22:09
Actually, the film company has been in talks with ATC since last fall. At last report they planned to do very little filming on the AT itself, as the logistics of a remote location shoot are quite significant--we're not talking about a couple of guys w/handy cams and an ENG rig.

They may do a certain amount of "B roll" footage on the trail, but most if not all of the scenes where people are talking to each other (which is what most audiences want to see--as opposed to people sweating and walking and swatting bugs) will be shot on a sound stage (conditions are much easier to control) or in a front country setting where the location logistics are significanly easier.

Redford is reported to be sensitive to the need to be sensitive to the trail environment and cooperative with the AT Community. It would be a significant black eye for him and Mr. Newman if ATC, NPS and the USFS were unhappy with the way the project was done.

Not to say it won't all change in an instant if the creative team has an idea and the producers can afford it, but early reports are encouraging.

Cosmo

ImkerVS
03-01-2007, 23:00
We could start a pool. How many people will start at Springer the first spring after the movie comes out?

Jim Adams
03-01-2007, 23:08
I don't care how much this movie may help the trail and I don't care how many people will be on top of Springer after the movie comes out but if you put a pool up there, I for one will be mighty pissed!!!

geek

moxie
03-02-2007, 00:10
I don't care how much this movie may help the trail and I don't care how many people will be on top of Springer after the movie comes out but if you put a pool up there, I for one will be mighty pissed!!!

geek
Please don't piss in the Springer summit pool. Jester will be floating on an air matress, sipping a cool drink, and greeting all starting or finishing at Springer. I think a pool on Springer is a great idea as long as people don't piss in it.:cool:

Sly
03-02-2007, 00:13

geek

Pissed about what? Edit: Nevermind...

Moxie00
03-02-2007, 15:34
I don't know how rumors get started. Newman and Redford aren't even in the running for Bryson and Katz parts. Bryson and Katz will be played by Lone Wolf and Baltimore Jack. They will flip a coin when filming starts to decide who will play which part. The part of Mary Ellen will be played by Jester, in drag of course. Seeing Rainbow Springs is now closed the parts of Jensine and Buddy will be played by Miss janet and Uncle Johny, completly out of character for Miss Janet. When they get to the Maine scenes I have agreed to shave my head and play the part of the late keith Shaw. To avoid the awful rocks in Pennsylvania all shots in Pennsylvania will be shot at Organ Pipe National Monumentt in Arizona. Plastic trees from the Erwin Holliday Inn Express will make Arizona look like Pennsylvavia with the exception of Palmerton. Palmerton scenes will be shot in South Bronx.

Jim Adams
03-02-2007, 16:55
I don't know how rumors get started. Newman and Redford aren't even in the running for Bryson and Katz parts. Bryson and Katz will be played by Lone Wolf and Baltimore Jack. They will flip a coin when filming starts to decide who will play which part. The part of Mary Ellen will be played by Jester, in drag of course. Seeing Rainbow Springs is now closed the parts of Jensine and Buddy will be played by Miss janet and Uncle Johny, completly out of character for Miss Janet. When they get to the Maine scenes I have agreed to shave my head and play the part of the late keith Shaw. To avoid the awful rocks in Pennsylvania all shots in Pennsylvania will be shot at Organ Pipe National Monumentt in Arizona. Plastic trees from the Erwin Holliday Inn Express will make Arizona look like Pennsylvavia with the exception of Palmerton. Palmerton scenes will be shot in South Bronx.

I heard that the premier will be shown at the Springer Pool!:D

geek

Jester2000
03-02-2007, 20:02
The Springer Mountain Pool is for paying customers only.

Baum Trigger
03-03-2007, 00:42
The Springer Mountain Pool is for paying customers only.

The caddies get a 15 min. swim period on special occasions...

LEGS
03-03-2007, 01:29

THEN YOU HAVENT BEEN TO MAINE !!!!!!

bfitz
03-03-2007, 01:45
Newman's 82, but looks much younger.

And anyway, there are definitely older hikers out there that can hold their own with anyone. Batch is probably close to 85 now, and just a few years ago, he was smokin' people in Virginia or Tennessee. And PawPaw was the same way just a few years ago.

How old was tiperarry? And has anyone seen any film crews at springer yet?

Brrrb Oregon
03-03-2007, 02:05
In 1990 I ran into a crew from ESPN filming a bear hunt in the 100 mile wilderness. Now look, it's over run with loggers!!!:banana
geek

Exactly. Loggers don't watch ESPN hunting shows to find the trees.

Actually, if you want a place on federal land to escape logging, start by getting it famous. Better yet, write a children's book about it, in which the animal hero goes there in the end to be free and happy forever. If they hang on surveying flag on it, it will get on the news and the schoolkids will be in an uproar.

If you want solitude, though, find someplace that is farther than 5 miles from a trailhead, with a trailhead farther than an hour from any town big enough to have its own TV station....preferably two or three hours. You might get a one or two year rush that defies that, but in the long run, the way to find yourself in far less company is to find someplace that people think takes a lot of work (and preferably a lot of days off work) to get to.

But hey, you know, if the country were suddenly overrun with people willing to get off their hind ends and see nature, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Totally deserted trails are forgotten trails, and forgotten trails are vulnerable trails, especially in the lower 48. Besides, there is something wrong with wishing more people an early death from stress and inactivity so that you can have a nicer hike. That's a bit cold.

Brrrb Oregon
03-03-2007, 02:10
THEN YOU HAVENT BEEN TO MAINE !!!!!!

You tell 'em. Film it here, but throw in some aerials to let the audience think they filmed it in Maine.

THE AT IS JUST THE SAME AS THE PCT! NOT WORTH THE PLANE TICKET, REALLY IT'S NOT! AND NO SHELTERS!!! DON'T FORGET, NO SHELTERS!

(You haven't heard of Tom McCall, by any chance, I wouldn't suppose, have you?)

LEGS
03-03-2007, 02:32
You tell 'em. Film it here, but throw in some aerials to let the audience think they filmed it in Maine.

THE AT IS JUST THE SAME AS THE PCT! NOT WORTH THE PLANE TICKET, REALLY IT'S NOT! AND NO SHELTERS!!! DON'T FORGET, NO SHELTERS!

(You haven't heard of Tom McCall, by any chance, I wouldn't suppose, have you?)

NO, AFRAID I DONT KNOW THE MAN. I DONT USE SHELTERS BUY THE TICKET, COME ON OUT AND Walk it and then tell me its not worth it.It'll be one of the best times of your life.

mountain squid
09-02-2015, 20:42
Get your hiking in now...and believe it or not . . . it is finally a movie! Hope you were able to get your hiking in within the last 8 years . . . :D . . . I suspect next year the trail will be more crowded than usual . . . better start putting your reservations in for shelter space . . . . . :rolleyes:

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

rafe
09-02-2015, 21:12
It's fun watching dancing bananas from eight years ago, still dancing. Don't they ever get tired?

Sarcasm the elf
09-02-2015, 21:26
It's fun watching dancing bananas from eight years ago, still dancing. Don't they ever get tired?
It was funny seeing some of the oldee names as well. Right after reading the posts above, I switched over to facebook and saw that Jester summited Katahdin today, completing his second A.T. thru.