PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Cheeze Sauce

Footnotes
02-27-2007, 20:42
I see several nice recipe at the FBC site that call for powdered cheeze sauce. Does anyone have a souce for that item? Thanks.

Bonjour
02-27-2007, 21:01
I've seen it in the regular grocery store in the section with tacos and such. And I live in a small town. Powdered cheese, sounds delightful. I don't think I would read the label.

Obsidian
02-27-2007, 21:20
I've seen at Costco, it was next to where I bought a plastic container of boullion cubes, near the spices...

Ewker
02-27-2007, 22:39
http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/20339/search/Cheese_Sauce_Mix.html?SEARCH=3&WORDS=cheese%20powder&orig=30&PAGE=0&_ssess_=d29be55965453247e29775c4befe2dd0

Wanderingson
02-27-2007, 23:47
Here is a great source of many powdered/dehydrated products. Take the time to check out other products they have. May be a wee bit pricey, but worth giving them a try.

I particularly like some of their products such as the soy, tabasco, Wo, and others.

http://www.spicesetc.com/product/427/3

sarbar
02-28-2007, 02:00
You can in a pinch use the packets of cheese sauce powder in Mac and Cheese boxes, but toss in some dried milk with it (a Tbl for every Tbl of cheese powder). It makes it creamier.
Otherwise, you can get it online from American Spice, and also you can find it on Amazon!

RAT
02-28-2007, 02:19
You can get it at bulk food stores. Grocery stores have little cans of it for like popcorn but costs way more for way less. I carried big bag of it once and put it in everything, sure made things better but got tired of it after awhile, have to use it on and off.

RAT

Groucho
02-28-2007, 05:19
I see several nice recipe at the FBC site that call for powdered cheeze sauce. Does anyone have a souce for that item? Thanks.

Cheese powder at Yoder's Country Market (http://www.yodersmart.com/catalog/)is 4.29/lb. Shipping is probably about the same though. If you order a lot of stuff the shipping becomes reasonable. Seems that the prices and assortment are really good; I've not ordered from here, only bought as a walk in.
Shipping to Topeka, KS:
5#-11.16; 26.35#-19.87

Spices and other goods from here were fresh, and I even got a birch beer soda which reminded me of childhood PA summer vacations.

FishBone
02-28-2007, 10:02
http://www.thespicehouse.com/

This is a great source for dried cheese mixtures and other spices. I used to live in Milwaukee where they have a store and shopped there often.:D

The Old Fhart
02-28-2007, 10:55
There is a local bread store near me that sells Southeastern Mills 'Cheddar Cheese Sauce Mix' in 2.75oz. packages (soft pouch) for $1.09 each. I Googled and found that The Gravy Store (http://www.gravystore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TGS&Category_Code=SCCSM) sells it on line, 24 packages for $20 plus shipping. It is available other places on line as well

I just mix it with cous-cous, mashed potatoes, etc., and get 5 or more servings per package. The package says it makes 2 cups of sauce if you follow directions but I just add it to whatever I'm eating until it taste right.

SunnyWalker
03-04-2007, 21:48
I buy mine where America shops..... at Walmart.

-SunnyWalker

wpbucher
03-05-2007, 09:08
Where in Walmart? I looked...but could not locate.

Toolshed
03-05-2007, 09:14
I get it in bulk at a local farm/produce store - They order it from an internet supplier.

Wanderingson
03-05-2007, 09:59
I buy mine where America shops..... at Walmart.

-SunnyWalker

What's a Walmart?

SunnyWalker
04-24-2008, 02:12
OK, sorry, I have not actually bought cheese sauce mix at Walmart!!!! But . . . let me go look down this aisle . . .

Bob S
04-24-2008, 15:46
Kroger stores here have powered cheddar cheese sauce. I use it over tacos. When car-camping I keep it warm by putting it in a fondue cooker I found at the goodwill for $2.00. The family loves it pored over the tacos. It’s easy to make (2-cups of water with the powder, mix and bring to a boil) it cost $1.79 for a package.

ki0eh
04-24-2008, 15:51
Can you make a cheese steak with powdered cheese sauce and beef jerky?

Happy Feet
09-07-2008, 13:19
You can get a big pouch of cheese sauce mix at Gordon's Food Supply, Sysco, or any industrial food supply place that has a retail outlet. Also, Cream Soup Base, or Alfredo Sauce, etc.

minnesotasmith
09-07-2008, 15:26
I have been looking for an inexpensive (under 50 cents apiece) source for those cheese sauce packs a few MREs contain, with no luck. Everyone wants 80+ cents each for them, which I find preposterous and makes them not worth getting. If anyone knows of a reasonably-priced source for these, please pass it on.

Dicentra
09-07-2008, 20:02
Ditto what Sarbar said.

plus - we've found it at WinCo

Online at Packit Gourmet, Amazon and King Arthur Flour

mkmangold
09-07-2008, 23:20

I've used Parmesan and Romano cheeses found in the dairy section of any grocery store. I also have used dried Ricotto from a local hippie store.

mudcap
09-07-2008, 23:36
Wow ! Sarbar and Dicentra are here. I did not know. Folks,these two gals are on top of the world when it comes to outdoor cooking. Their books are unreal. They are very kind and generous with their knowledge.

BTW,I do not know them personally. I just know the REAL DEAL when I see it.

OregonHiker
09-07-2008, 23:47
I have been looking for an inexpensive (under 50 cents apiece) source for those cheese sauce packs a few MREs contain, with no luck. Everyone wants 80+ cents each for them, which I find preposterous and makes them not worth getting. If anyone knows of a reasonably-priced source for these, please pass it on.

Sounds like a budget buster to me :cool:

Dicentra
09-08-2008, 00:58
Wow ! Sarbar and Dicentra are here. I did not know. Folks,these two gals are on top of the world when it comes to outdoor cooking. Their books are unreal. They are very kind and generous with their knowledge.

BTW,I do not know them personally. I just know the REAL DEAL when I see it.

Awww... you are too nice!! I'm new here, but Sarbar and TwoFortyJeff sent me. Judging from some of the names I'm seeing, I won't be a stranger. :cool:

minnesotasmith
09-08-2008, 08:55
Sounds like a budget buster to me :cool:

But if I were to get several hundred, they add up fast. Also, there are other nutritious, decently-tasting foods more worth getting if that's the bottom price for cheese packets. The latter will have priced themselves out of my market.

Dicentra
09-08-2008, 09:30
Sarbar used to get some sort of cheese sauce thing in cups from pizza places.

You mean the stuff that has the consistancy of peanut butter (cheese spread?) right? I can't seem to find it for less than 79 cents...

sarbar
09-08-2008, 15:55
Those tubs? papa johns!

But lets note one thing: the tubs and packets of cheese spread is just that - 'spread'. It isn't true cheese. Though it tastes quite good. :D

I have also seen cases of the small tubs of it at Sams club in the spice section.

Wise Old Owl
09-08-2008, 17:01
You can in a pinch use the packets of cheese sauce powder in Mac and Cheese boxes, but toss in some dried milk with it (a Tbl for every Tbl of cheese powder). It makes it creamier.
Otherwise, you can get it online from American Spice, and also you can find it on Amazon!

2ND THE MOTION... Find some kids, serve Mac & Cheese at a B-Day party substitute the contents of the packet with Cheeze Wiz & a dash of milk from the bottles. Now you will lots of packets when you need them.

Bob S
09-08-2008, 19:43
Buy a larger powered cheese package and do some measuring and some math and break it up into smaller portions of powder. When you make it you also use a smaller amount of water that you figured out when you measured it. I would make a guess that a large package (that cost about $1.29) would make enough for 3 smaller single person servings.

I do this all the time for things, it works well.

stargazer0311
12-21-2008, 14:52
you can buy powdered cabot cheddar cheese. they call it cheddar shake and it has no weird additives it is just powdered cheddar cheese. you can buy in a shaker can and transfer it to small plastic container like i do....

peanuts
12-21-2008, 15:14
you can buy powdered cabot cheddar cheese. they call it cheddar shake and it has no weird additives it is just powdered cheddar cheese. you can buy in a shaker can and transfer it to small plastic container like i do....

where can you buy powdered cabot cheese??? list source....thanks

Hikes in Rain
12-21-2008, 15:44
Found it: https://www.shopcabot.com/pages/products/shake/8-oz-Cheddar-Shake.php

Now this is momentous!

optimator
12-22-2008, 04:59
I get it in the bulk section of our local WinCo. Lots of sodium, but good stuff...

stargazer0311
12-22-2008, 13:30
The stuff is a great, works to spice up mac and cheese , mashed potato flakes ect I had a friend introduce it to me and it and i have carried it since.